Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

Fiero425

20 years of the magic of Rach and Lyra Angelica :encore:

I have to give her props for those legendary programs! Never been a fan, but she was quite classy; just didn't win when it really counted! A shame she allowed 2 kids not even in her class to knock her off at 2 Olympics! :rolleyes: :shizuka1: :judge: :kickass:

bardtoob

I missed seeing Michelle at Nationals as I don't have Ice Network. And NBC barely acknowledges her existence thanks to Tara so it'd be great to see her doing a show or a series of shows!

Oh, Johnny has also had issues with Michelle since she got pissed off at him for declining to visit President GWB at the White House.

dawnie

Oh, Johnny has also had issues with Michelle since she got pissed off at him for declining to visit President GWB at the White House.

Wasn't that when the whole "RepubliKwan" thing started? Just because she maybe chastised her teammate for not going to the White House? I mean, the White House and the presidency of the United States held a certain prestige up until a year ago. Any Olympic athlete should have been honored to be invited. I'm willing to bet Johnny was making it more dramatic than it happened. MK probably just said something like "come on, you have to go" in her own MK way and he made it more dramatic (as usual) and took it like she was trying to force him to go.

Last edited:

Fiero425

Wasn't that when the whole "RepubliKwan" thing started? Just because she maybe chastised her teammate for not going to the White House? I'm willing to bet Johnny was making it more dramatic than it happened. MK probably just said something like "come on, you have to go" and he took it like she was FORCING him to go.

"W" and Republicans were on a Jihad against "gay marriage" and it got ugly around the elections of 2004! I wouldn't have gone to see him either! Johnny's not the only person to decline seeing Presidents who promote an agenda of hate and intolerance! Trump's being "left" out in the cold again and again himself for the same reason! He couldn't even go to the Kennedy Center Honors; so many people objected and declined to go if he showed up! It's nothing new! :rolleyes: :wall: :kickass:

Fiero425

They showed a short segment about the "Battle of the Brian's, yesterday.
It focused on Brian Orser!

Orser's a nicer and more humble guy! Boitano has never been likeable IMO; huge ego and so deserving of praise in his mind! It's an aura that can't be shaken by that fake smile! Just my opinion! :rolleyes: :drama: :fragile: :kickass: :respec:

Fiero425

???

We will agree to disagree about Boitano.
The point of my post was that the feature hardly mentioned the OGM.

Sorry, I just have a visceral dislike for Boitano! I actually stopped watching FS altogether during his reign culminating in his arrogance to return with past OG medalists to undermine the '94 Games in Lillehammer! He was just taking up a spot; sorta like Katarina Witt and a host of other egomaniacs that had no chance! Tovel and Dean were the only ones who had the ability, but were marked down by the judges to prevent them from winning GOLD! :rolleyes: :40beers: :COP: :respec:

VGThuy

Angry Asian Man had a write up about how 50% of our Olympic team is Asian-American, and I can't help but think this really is Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi's legacy right here. In fact, all of the skaters named them as role models and inspiration. Of course, that's not limited to Asian-American skaters.

snippy

Orser's a nicer and more humble guy! Boitano has never been likeable IMO; huge ego and so deserving of praise in his mind! It's an aura that can't be shaken by that fake smile! Just my opinion! :rolleyes: :drama: :fragile: :kickass: :respec:

Perhaps it’s the Canadian me, I never liked Brian Boitano. I recognize his talent, But I always preferred Brian Orser.

paskatefan

I always admired both Brians, but I was pulling for Brian Orser in 1988. If ever there was a night to justify 2 gold medals, that was the night, IMHO!

Fiero425

I always admired both Brians, but I was pulling for Brian Orser in 1988. If ever there was a night to justify 2 gold medals, that was the night, IMHO!

I still can't believe Jamie "kvetched" long and hard enough to make them give her and David Gold in SLC! I've never seen anything like that & hope never to see it again! Having duel citizenship with Canada made me embarrassed for her & Pelletier! She's not the only one to be robbed in the history of figure skating; still the shadiest sport out there! :GnP1: :TnD1:

Fiero425

Can I just take a moment to say the fact that Johnny and Tara refuse to mention Michelle really sucks as a Kwan Fan.

What would you like them to say? It's not like they're mentioning any past champions; some from the US that have won Olympic Gold like Fleming, Hamill, Yamaguchi, and the Silver by Kerrigan! :rolleyes: :40beers: :COP: :oksana1: :respec:

Eeyora1

What would you like them to say? It's not like they're mentioning any past champions; some from the US that have won Olympic Gold like Fleming, Hamill, Yamaguchi, and the Silver by Kerrigan! :rolleyes: :40beers: :COP: :oksana1: :respec:

And I also find that wrong! It’s what I miss about Dick Button mentioning skaters from the past and the history of the sport. With Johnny and Tara it’s all “I love Me” to reference a famous Scott Hamilton number.

bardtoob

I think that between the two of them, Tara and Johnny have had spats with almost all the past champions after Thomas, Kadavy, Trenary, and Katarina.

Tara had difficulty with Yamaguchi on SOI because "she was Olympic Champion" ... But so was Kristi and Kristi kept her triples far longer.

Johnny had difficulty with Kerrigan because she attacked him on that short lived infomercial quality figure skating show post the 2006 Olympics. Of course, Kerrigan was probably also miffed at Johnny because he openly preferred Oksana.

Johnny just told TMZ he would never forgive Tonya.

Tara and Johnny both have issues with Michelle.

Tara and Irina exchanged words at 1996 Worlds ...

Johnny was sort of dumped by Sasha after the tide turned towards Evan.

That leaves like Oksana, Maria, Sarah, and Shizuka.

... I also get the impression that Tara and Johnny are now sort of considered "old" by the current crop of in crowd skaters :lol:

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Johnny said Nancy is a dear friend and that he won't see I, Tonya.

What words did Tara and Irina exchange? :watch:

bardtoob

What words did Tara and Irina exchange? :watch:

There is this funny story told by Peter Carruthers where Irina and Tara run into each other in the elevator at 1996 Worlds, and Irina says very directly in a thick Russian accent, "You are not supposed to be here." to which Tara yells, "YES, I AM!!!" :rofl:

On one level, it seems like something two adults would laugh about :lol: ... But, if Tara still does not like to talk about Michelle, then who knows about Irina :shuffle:

giselle23

For anyone else who may be interested, I added the poster who started the Kwan is Overrated thread to my ignore list and the whole thread disappeared!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information