Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

Fiero425

If anyone else who may be interested, I added the poster who started the Kwan is Overrated thread to my ignore list and the whole thread disappeared!

MK may not be overrated, but she came up short when it really counted in Nagano and SLC! She would have had "some" career; rivalling some greats if not surpassing them! Witt was more overrated IMO, but she got the job done twice in her Olympic appearances! MK and her fans will have to settle for record #'s of Nat'l and World Gold titles! :rolleyes: :COP: :drama: :kickass:

bardtoob

That's the American way; we talk about ignoring something, but it just goes deep and eats at us more and more! :rolleyes:

I was actually only irritated with the thread because the author said Maribel Vinson Owen was not considered a great of the sport.

Maribel Vinson Owen was:

- inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame
- inducted into the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame
- the author of three books on figure skating
- the coach of an Olympic, World, and National Champion
- an Olympic medalist
- a World medalist
- a European Championship Medalist
- 9 time US National Champion
- 2 Time Pairs National Champion
- the first woman sportswriter for the New York Times
- a provider of technical advice to Mabel Fairbanks, a Women's Sports Hall of Fame Inductee who had a hard time getting into rinks because she was black, let alone any competitions, yet she coached Tiffany Chin, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi / Rudy Galindo, Tai Babilonia / Randy Gardner, Debi Thomas . . .
- one of the coaches that died on the Sabena Flight 548

I am not at all concerned about Michelle Kwan standing up to criticism.

Last edited:

Fiero425

I was actually only irritated with the thread because the author said Maribel Vinson Owen was not considered a great of the sport.

Maribel Vinson Owen was:

- inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame
- inducted into the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame
- the author of three books on figure skating
- the coach of an Olympic, World, and National Champion
- an Olympic medalist
- a World medalist
- a European Championship Medalist
- 9 time US National Champion
- 2 Time Pairs National Champion
I am not at all concerned about Michelle Kwan standing up to criticism.

Most people don't know or remember US skaters actually competed at the Europeans thru Dick Buttons when it became exclusively Continental after 1948! :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :kickass: :revenge:

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Always in memory of Old Goat (and, also as always, with the greatest respect to the memory and accomplishments and appreciation of the life of The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) - Happy Michelle L. Kwan Day (or is it Merry?)!

I've been wondering if the troll that started the Kwan overrated thread is David55!

UGG

I've been wondering if the troll that started the Kwan overrated thread is David55!

Omg I remember that person and it is probably him bc who else would have the time to sit and write some long drawn out post that probably took 3 hours to diss Mk? Lmao

Fiero425

It definitely is. That thread title was basically a banner announcing his return.

WHY do you care? Comments can be so offensive to your eyes while a TROLL like Trump's running the country into the ground! I think we have a real problem with priorities! :rolleyes: :COP: :duh: :kickass: :lynch: :mitchell: :revenge:

VGThuy

WHY do you care? Comments can be so offensive to your eyes while a TROLL like Trump's running the country into the ground! I think we have a real problem with priorities! :rolleyes: :COP: :duh: :kickass: :lynch: :mitchell: :revenge:

Why did you spend precious minutes responding to me for post you didn't like when you could go out and stop Trump from running this country into the ground. If you hate Kwan so much, why do you salivate every time there's a thread or a post where her name is mentioned or mention her name when she's not even the subject of the thread just so you can talk about her when Trump is so much more offensive? Where are your priorities?

Fiero425

Why did you spend precious minutes responding to me for post you didn't like when you could go out and stop Trump from running this country into the ground. If you hate Kwan so much, why do you salivate every time there's a thread or a post where her name is mentioned or mention her name when she's not even the subject of the thread just so you can talk about her when Trump is so much more offensive? Where are your priorities?

I can do both! I've disowned my best friend of 40+ years when he thought it great that Trump's in charge; actually wearing his t-shirt with pride! I can "hate" on more than one thing at once I guess! :rolleyes: :barrel :kickass: :lynch: :mitchell:

Sparks

Because Red Buttons won the gold medal in 1945...or something.

bardtoob

Because Red Buttons won the gold medal in 1945...or something.

It would be funny if he called everybody dumbass or threatened to kick them in the ass if they have a bad layback spin, like Red Foreman from That 70s Show.

Miki89

A debate could be made about Michelle's greatness and how it is affected by her lack of OGM. How it is related to how she handled pressure on the biggest stage. Being a huge Michelle fan myself, I do not believe it takes away from her greatness, yet I can accept that as a legitimate argument. BUT that was not the argument made by that poster. Instead, it was an incoherent rant about how she does not stack up against Kristi and Yuna's records without much regard to context. It is ridiculous how the poster undermines her winning back to back titles only once when no one (including Kim) until Med was able to achieve this feat. In addition, he/she fails to mention that Kristi did not win her OGM with clean performances whereas Michelle went clean in '98.

Fiero425

A debate could be made about Michelle's greatness and how it is affected by her lack of OGM. How it is related to how she handled pressure on the biggest stage. Being a huge Michelle fan myself, I do not believe it takes away from her greatness, yet I can accept that as a legitimate argument. BUT that was not the argument made by that poster. Instead, it was an incoherent rant about how she does not stack up against Kristi and Yuna's records without much regard to context. It is ridiculous how the poster undermines her winning back to back titles only once when no one (including Kim) until Med was able to achieve this feat. In addition, he/she fails to mention that Kristi did not win her OGM with clean performances whereas Michelle went clean in '98.

Is that supposed to be me? :rolleyes: :scream: :barrel :puppet: :revenge:

Fiero425

Do you feel that it is? After all, you do provide a large number and variety of incoherent rants from which to choose.

I have my moments! Just feel a need to always add to my blog and nothing gets people like you going nuclear but to criticize your queen of the ice! lol! Thanks for the material! :rolleyes: :puppet: :respec: :revenge:

Miki89

I actually think Michelle is underrated nowadays because the sport is too focused on jumps and as a result, I am seeing less and less of her influence in skaters today. It's so misleading to say her content was easier because she didn't do the hard jumps, because whenever I watch her programs from her peak years, I am always impressed by the intricate choreography--the amount of moves in the field she incorporated in those programs is amazing. And it is definitely not easy to make it look all seamless. Also, she regularly attempted and often landed seven triples in a program, which is more than most ladies attempt under COP up until the last quad or so.

cgirl8

Michelle skating the first part of a program she choreographed with Karen.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeWZc68jlqg/

"For more than a decade people have asked me if I miss skating - and, without a doubt, I really do! I might not skate often or plan on performing live, but skating is always in my heart wherever I go. I’m so thankful for all the people who have cheered me on throughout the years and your Instagram comments have inspired my sis @karenkwanoppegard and me to put together a program just for you because you’re a “Beautiful Thing” ❤️ @gracevanderwaal
Part 1."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information