This Is the Insane Amount of Money It Takes to Become an Olympic Figure Skater

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Any elite athletes are going to spend a fortune.

Riding: board/training/vet/shoes . $3000/month.
Shows / $1-2000 a pop and you better be campaigning @2-3 shows per month.

Tack. A saddle will run you $6-9,000. Bridle,etc...a lot....But this stuff lasts a long good

Clothing. Custom boots. $2-4,000. Helmut . $500. Breeches $350 a pair. And you need severL. Hunt coats: 240-800.

Oh and the most important part...the HORSIE. To be competitive in a regional level $175,000 - $250,000.National level are $100,000
At this level you may have/need two. Olympic level high 6 figures to high7
All this in a judged sport where you may find that your partner isn't feeling it that day

DFO

Interesting article that cover... most of the expenses. The forgotten one was the relocation needed for pairs and ice dance skaters that is often required. And usually, younger skaters (pre-novice/intermediate,novice or junior) will have to continue training in single AND with their partner until they reach a certain level, adding training cost, costumes, choreo, etc. So, yes, the 35-50 000$ US is a reality. And if many stop competing because they are no longer competitive, there a many who are leaving because the family couldn't support the financial stress of the sport. Sad but true. Some future olympic champions are choosing to leave or to do something less expensive.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It has certainly become a sport for the uber rich. Skaters from blue collar backgrounds the likes of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan would never happen now.

Sadder still, unlike the glory years from the 1980s and 1990s when public, professional touring and corporate interest was at its peak, how do skaters and their families think they will recoup their investment these days?

mag

Yes, the cost can be insane, but there are definitely some misleading things in this article. Stock boots are $800 to $1000 per pair, I suspect custom are more. That said, in the US, kids who make it to Nationals are generally sponsored for boots by someone like Reidel. In Canada, the Jr. national champions used to get sponsored by Jackson or Reidel, not sure if Edea does the same. Free Skaters often go through more than two pairs of boots in a year, especially if they are in Edea. Blades are not $1000 or at least you can get Olympic quality blades for under CAD500 and one pair will last a year through a couple of boot changes. Costumes, yes you can pay up to $10,000 but you can get fabulous costumes for under $2000. Local dressmakers will often make them for under $1000.

Finally, if Ellie Freezer’s mom is paying for 5 days per week of personal training for an 11 year old, she is being ripped off. 11 year olds, no matter how good, simply do not need this. Small group training twice a week, a couple of ballet classes, a Physio session, and then get her out on her bike or walking the dog on the weekend. Knee surgery at 10 or 11 screams a warning that there is over training going on. That child is going to burn out.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
From "Money" magazine

http://time.com/money/5136679/olympic-figure-skating-costs/

I don't know that anyone here will be very surprised but the numbers are still :eek:

It’s crazy expensive but private colleges are also around $60K a year now. It seems like everything is wildly expensive these days and paying off loans for years and years is reality for many people.

My friend in high school was a skater and she only ever competed at the regional level and I remember her saying it still cost her family about $20K a year. And this was like 10-12 years ago.

WildRose

No doubt the lady with the 11 year old thinks her daughter is the next Michelle Kwan but those costs are ridiculous and unnecessary. She’s going to burn her daughter out and all the money in the world won’t fix that.

Debbie S

Agree that it is rare, except for the top skaters (like those on the World team) to get free equipment. I remember in 2003 (at Worlds in Wash, DC) Jackson offered each competitor a free pair of skates, looking to build their business among elite skaters. Some skaters took them up on the offer, some didn't. But that was a one-time deal; if they wanted to continue in Jacksons, they'd have to buy the next pair, which was the point of the giveaway. Other boot and blade companies have done similar things on a smaller level with the goal of profiting eventually.

But most boots cost less than $1000. These days, most skaters are in stock boots with perhaps some modifications (split width, etc) but even customs are usually under $1000. I priced custom Harlicks and Avantas...Harlicks would have been about $750-$800 and Avantas are a set price of $1020. The top-line Edeas may be close to $1000, I haven't checked. I'm not aware of any blades costing $1000...the most I've heard is about $700.

And most skaters, even those competing at Nats, use local dressmakers (that they've probably been using for years) for their costumes. Pricing usually depends on how much embellishment, i.e. stoning, you get. Obviously, the higher the level, the more bling, but we've also seen plenty of skaters (like the Knierims) who look great without being blinged out.

P.S. Also keep in mind that most USFS funds are not available to skaters until they reach a certain level, usually Novice, and place pretty high....I think the Competitive Skaters Assistance program, or whatever it's called, is only for skaters who have competed at Nats, but I could be wrong about that. It takes a lot of sacrifice (and strict budgeting) to get a skater to the level where the family could receive help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information