San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

Firedancer

At Skate America this year they blocked us into three specific sections for practice so they may be planning that for nationals as well.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Not sure if it's been addressed already, but there are some practices scheduled for Solar4America Ice on January 4th and 5th. All-event ticket holders never got any tickets to these practices.

For those of you who are already working the event, would you know if the Solar4America practices are open on the 4th and 5th? If so, are they open to folks with SAP Center practice passes (which demonstrates our all-event ticket holder statuses), to folks who show the all-event ticket holder lanyard, or to the general public?

From an email I got from SAP Center the other day, it seems like the lanyard is the fallback, but I wanted to ask out here as well.

Last edited:

acraven

I'm nearly certain that the "GA" on the practice passes stands for "General Admission". That has always been the policy.

acraven

There's a table slightly to the right as you enter Solar4America Ice--the same place where they sell the $30 day passes. They'll ask to see one of your tickets. If you bought more than one all-event package, you may need to point that out so you get the right number of lanyards, etc.

Willin

Because I don't want to do commute traffic on Wednesday (I'm volunteering until 5pm), I'll likely be going to Whispers Crepes for dinner that night. It's about 1 block from the Fairmont and about 2.5 blocks from the Marriott. I'll probably go to In'n Out Friday before the SD, and I'll be going to the take out places near SJSU for dinner between 4 and 5:30 on Thursday if anyone would like to join.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Not sure if it's been addressed already, but there are some practices scheduled for Solar4America Ice on January 4th and 5th. All-event ticket holders never got any tickets to these practices.

For those of you who are already working the event, would you know if the Solar4America practices are open on the 4th and 5th? If so, are they open to folks with SAP Center practice passes (which demonstrates our all-event ticket holder statuses), to folks who show the all-event ticket holder lanyard, or to the general public?

From an email I got from SAP Center the other day, it seems like the lanyard is the fallback, but I wanted to ask out here as well.

My practice passes for those days say "Practice Sessions Only Solar4America Ice & SAP Center At San Jose" so the practice passes are good for both venues - did you check your SAP Center account to see if you could print those practice passes out? They added practice passes after I printed out my events so I had to go back and print out the additional ones.

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
My practice passes for those days say "Practice Sessions Only Solar4America Ice & SAP Center At San Jose" so the practice passes are good for both venues - did you check your SAP Center account to see if you could print those practice passes out? They added practice passes after I printed out my events so I had to go back and print out the additional ones.
Confirmed! I got my practice passes later than everyone else and upon looking more closely at them, yes, the 1/4 and 1/5 passes have both venues listed.

For those of you yet to come to San Jose, you might want to pack an umbrella. Our long dry spell will break and we will have spotty showers on Wednesday and Thursday. Daytime highs will be around 60 this week. It won't be super cold at night, like in the upper 30s as it has been lately, but it will still be chilly, in the lower to mid-40s.

http://abc7news.com/weather/

Debbie S

There's a table slightly to the right as you enter Solar4America Ice--the same place where they sell the $30 day passes. They'll ask to see one of your tickets. If you bought more than one all-event package, you may need to point that out so you get the right number of lanyards, etc.
It just occurred to me that I gave my Monday tickets to a skater's family, since I'm not arriving until Tuesday. I guess that means they'll get the lanyards (do they say "all-event" on them?). Oh well, no big deal...or do the lanyards actually get us something like wristbands or reentry?

(I assume they track the lanyards they give to each ticketholder by name/ticket/bar code?)

acraven

Debbie, I would hope that the recipients of your tickets will not grab your lanyards. In any case, I don't think you'll have a problem getting into practices with your practice tickets. You might just not have bothered to pick upmthe lanyards, so how could they say your practice tickets were worthless?

Doggygirl

Banned Member
A question: I am selling my tickets and basically giving the practice passes as an extra freebie, the seats at SAP Center for a practice pass are GA4, Row G2. What does this mean, I assume they have a designated section for practice passes, any idea where it will be?

GA = General Admission. I understand this to mean you can sit anywhere that is open for seating during practices.

Anita18

It depends!
New Year’s Eve shift means running around between transportation and info desk, because we were told one schedule and the drivers another. And me scribbling changes all over the place so people won’t be confused but I think it’s already too late. :shuffle:

They did not schedule nearly enough volunteers for transportation this week so far. To everyone taking the fan shuttles early in the week, I pre-emptively apologize.

Anita18

It depends!
Help us info desk/transportation volunteer help you! Here are the shuttle stops, we were told:
  • Marriott: Through the back of the hotel, at the curb in front of the SJ Convention Center (there is a Post-It on the door thanks to yours truly :D )
  • Fairmont: In front of the lobby facing Market St.
  • Solar4America rink: Sliding glass doors in the back near the East Rink
  • SAP Center: For spectators, the stop is on Autumn St in front of the ticket office near the South arena entrance.

Debbie S

Thanks, Anita! We did get an e-mail this morning with that info. Thanks for putting up the post-its. As a club comp organizing veteran, I know it's hard to get vols. As long as signage for shuttle stops is clear, I think we'll all be fine.

Debbie S

Debbie, I would hope that the recipients of your tickets will not grab your lanyards. In any case, I don't think you'll have a problem getting into practices with your practice tickets. You might just not have bothered to pick upmthe lanyards, so how could they say your practice tickets were worthless?
I'm only planning to go to Solar on Wed, so it's not a big deal. If the people working the desk at Solar are just handing the lanyards to those with the all-event tix, then those with my tix probably won't know the backstory - it's OK. Whatever happens, happens. I've got all my practice tix and the exorbitant shuttle passes, so I'm set. Just hoping IN works tonight and tmrw.

Gayo

Can anyone advise as to the indoor temperature at the SAP Center? Conditions can vary and am deciding what kind of jacket to wear over a light sweater.

skatfan

Can anyone advise as to the indoor temperature at the SAP Center? Conditions can vary and am deciding what kind of jacket to wear over a light sweater.
Public session opens this afternoon so there should be some info

Willin

When we toured it, it seemed pretty warm as far as ice rinks go. Certainly worthy of a jacket, but I don't think the full blanket/winter coat combo is necessarily warranted unless you are right near the ice.

acraven

I'm cold-natured and am in the front row. Wearing 2 pairs of longjohns below the waist and one above. Two pairs of socks. Lined rubber-soled shoes. Short but heavy wool jacket. I am not wearing my down coat. People whose hands get cold and who expect to sit down in Row 1 might want a light pair of gloves.

Food news:

One concession stand is open near Section 115. Garden salad, fruit salad, Asian chicken salad, nachos, hotdog, Polish sausage.

Plusdinfo

Thanks for all the helpful information, everyone. It's made the lead-up to my arrival easier.

From January 3-7, which day would you choose to have a practice pass? I have one to pick as part of a ticket transfer deal and I may not use it (I may- gasp- do some tourism instead), but I might indeed use it.

It's such a subjective choice, but I could really use some input. Pairs for the daring tricks? Ice dancers and/or men for their speed? The ladies since I could get a close-up look (hopefully) of Mirai Nagasu, the person I'm most invested in at the competition?

Thanks for any comments!

acraven

Day 5 in the competition rink at Solar4America Ice, and the temperature has descended to a level best described as "glacial". It's currently considerably colder than it was earlier in the week. Bring gloves. Some people are wearing hats. I've asked the facility folks to consider turning the heat up (or on?), but they may not be able to do so without affecting ice quality.

mtnskater

Hey everybody I’m flying out tomorrow, Thursday morning. Will be attending the men’s short program. Anyone still interested in walking back to the Fairmont with me after the men’s event?

We could meet at the top of section 116 after the event is over, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Hey everybody I’m flying out tomorrow, Thursday morning. Will be attending the men’s short program. Anyone still interested in walking back to the Fairmont with me after the men’s event?

We could meet at the top of section 116 after the event is over, unless someone has a better suggestion.

I will be. I'm in section 123. I'm down with meeting at 116!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information