Pairs Discussion Thread 2017-18--"Two Skating as One"

Ka3sha

First, the Empress is Savchenko :drama:
Second, they're OK, but I prefer Sav/Mass and Stolbova/Klimov, but I also like the Russian kids. If I don't get Sav/Mass for the Olympics, then I want chaos to reign and Xtina to rule.
If Patrick doesn't get his jumps, at least some of them, back, both Russian kids and Stolbova :glamor: will most likely end up with OGM in the team event

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
And by a local account apparently Patrick is hanging out in Vancouver with his gf instead of "concentrating on training for Nationals and Olympics" (as the official story goes) :EVILLE:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Is that the skinny in the PChan thread? If so, pls share the news in the Gen'l men's thread in Trash. :) Oh Patrick!

I want chaos to reign and Xtina to rule.

Sorry, but this nonsensical farce of a Xtina don't deserve to rule! http://l450v.alamy.com/450v/kep24h/...rus-october-21-2017-figure-skating-kep24h.jpg Someone, please get these lovely 'Russian kids' an exquisite program to match their exquisite skating skills FFS!!!

If they can look this sensible, stylish, stunning and connected off the ice, why can't they put similar packaging together on the ice???!!! Until they can, their scores do not deserve to be so high on composition and interpretation!
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/86/f3/97/86f3972a62f8315f9e55fcc8d4a9ae07.jpg

T/M don't seem to know who they are or what direction to go in with a program concept.

At least Artur Dmitriev came to Ashtakova/Rogonov's rescue to help them try and smooth out their rough edges and come up with program concepts that work somewhat better for them. Thank you, Artur!

Last edited:

Areski

Candyman is about million times better than that rubbish la la land programme IMO.

Well I disagree. When I watch T/M I get an impression that they don't skate to music at all - like no expression, setting the mood or interpretation of it. I have a problem with their SP too, Rachmaninoff does not deserve such butchered music cuts - it's a bad idea to make SP with it. That having said A/R SP is also weird.

Xela M

How incredibly hot are J&C?! :eek: Is that the sexiest female costume EVER?!

T&M's free skate never ceases to horrify me :yikes:

Olympic Gold has to be between S&H (and a very long shot) S&M.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Par for the course with T/M being politically held up in the fp and over a team who skated better and in their home country, no less!!! J/C wuzrobbed twice on the GP: Vanessa et Morgan should have won silver at Skate Canada, and gold in Grenoble.

Can someone explain who's responsible for T/M's horridly annoying Candyman trick or treat snoozefest! :yawn: Yech! If T/M had skated cleanly with at least some semblance of a decent program, I could understand their scores better. They should not be receiving higher PE scores than J/C for such sloppy mistakes. And T/M should NEVER be receiving higher scores on CO and IN than any of the top teams with this excuse for a fp. They have terrible choreography, lousy ill-suited fp music, busy bumblebee costumes, and stiff unconvincing acting. I mean seriously! They are a couple off-ice and they can't simulate any hotness whatsoever between each other on the ice! :rolleyes: 73+ on PCS for that lukewarm mess!? The judges needed to send T/M a message, not a gift-wrapped pat on the back and nod of approval. Geesh!

Xela M

Par for the course with T/M being politically held up in the fp and over a team who skated better and in their home country, no less!!! J/C wuzrobbed twice on the GP: Vanessa et Morgan should have won silver at Skate Canada, and gold in Grenoble.

Can someone explain who's responsible for T/M's horridly annoying Candyman trick or treat snoozefest! :yawn: Yech! If T/M had skated cleanly with at least some semblance of a decent program, I could understand their scores better. They should not be receiving higher PE scores than J/C for such sloppy mistakes. And T/M should NEVER be receiving higher scores on CO and IN than any of the top teams with this excuse for a fp. They have terrible choreography, lousy ill-suited fp music, busy bumblebee costumes, and stiff unconvincing acting. I mean seriously! They are a couple off-ice and they can't simulate any hotness whatsoever between each other on the ice! :rolleyes: 73+ on PCS for that lukewarm mess!? The judges needed to send T/M a message, not a gift-wrapped pat on the back and nod of approval. Geesh!

It's actually sickening that T&M could win the Olympics with this. Physically sickening.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's actually sickening that T&M could win the Olympics with this. Physically sickening.

God forbid T/M even get on the Olympic podium with this mess. :drama: It was bad enough last season with T/M's 'Music' program. I mean even though that 80s music was cheesy and outdated and the concept was nonexistent, it's not as lousy as what they are flouncing around with Aguilera's uselessly suggestive vocals this season.

It's quite shameful. T/M are a nice-looking pair with superb skills. And this is all they can come up with? They need to be informed that they have weaknesses they need to work on. But when you're vaunted and favored Russian figure skaters, the judges apparently are afraid to score with fairness and common sense.

Quadjump

Figure Skating is the best sport in the world except in the Olympic Season.

If I look at the scores till now the medals in Korea will be like this.

Gold: Sui/Han with WR (10s through the board)
Silver: T/M
Bronze: S/M

I do feel that the judges do not want to see J/C in the final group. Maybe the French federation is pushing Papdakis/Cizeron to the Gold and J/C are the little victims.

MAXSwagg

T/M may have tacky programs but at least their pairs skills and skating are superb. If D/R could and can get high scores for their slop (imo) why not T/M who at least have some semblance of pairs skating...

RoseRed

He failed the most recent test. He has one chance left.
It was reported a couple of weeks ago that he'd taken it for the third time and the results would be out around the end of November. Their coach was quoted saying that was his last chance to get it in time.

topaz

T/M have excellent pair skills but their programs are horrible of the last few years. I don't know who they are(personality) artistically. The choreography is really simple, it's lacks depth and mostly they don't look like they enjoy the programs.

This has been my main critique of Nina Mozer teams. I don't really enjoy or like many of teams. Many of her teams lack chemistry on ice.

I just wish these teams would get programs worthy of them. Mozer teams have to have more emotional range that the choreography being shown to us. The music choices are either dated or completely inappropriate for T/M. Their current music choices were really glaringly inappropriate after seeing them skate at a competition with James/Cipres. Their long program will really seem “strange” when comparing it the likes of S/M, S/H, D/R and J/C at GPF, Euros and Olympics. I am not sure if it’s a cultural thing, i.e maybe Russian culture thinks songs with lyrics like or lines such as

“Tarzan and Jane were swingin' on a vine

Candyman, Candyman

Sippin' from a bottle of vodka double wine,

Sweet sugar candy man…

He's a one stop shop, makes the panties drop or

He's a one stop shop, makes my cherry pop.

Now I have to believe that in Russia “makes my cherry pop and panties drop” have the same connotation as they do in Japan, China, Russia and US.

If T/M stay for the next cycle, I hope they get programs choreographed from another choreography or allow Peter T to have control of music/choreography.

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

T/M have excellent pair skills but their programs are horrible of the last few years. I don't know who they are(personality) artistically. The choreography is really simple, it's lacks depth and mostly they don't look like they enjoy the programs.

This has been my main critique of Nina Mozer teams. I don't really enjoy or like many of teams. Many of her teams lack chemistry on ice.

I just wish these teams would get programs worthy of them. Mozer teams have to have more emotional range that the choreography being shown to us. The music choices are either dated or completely inappropriate for T/M. Their current music choices were really glaringly inappropriate after seeing them skate at a competition with James/Cipres. Their long program will really seem “strange” when comparing it the likes of S/M, S/H, D/R and J/C at GPF, Euros and Olympics. I am not sure if it’s a cultural thing, i.e maybe Russian culture thinks songs with lyrics like or lines such as

Candyman, Candyman

Sweet sugar candy man…

Now I have to believe that in Russia “makes my cherry pop and panties drop” have the same connotation as they do in Japan, China, Russia and US.

If T/M stay for the next cycle, I hope they get programs choreographed from another choreography or allow Peter T to have control of music/choreography.

S/K aren't even together (and really only have a professional relationship) yet still have a good connection. And, of course, not everyone is G/G, Tatiana and Max, or Pang and Tong. T/M are even more dull than Totmianina and Marinin (who still were not all that bad in terms of "connection").

Xela M

Candyman, Candyman

Sweet sugar candy man…

I don't think the 'panty drop' program is reflective of Mozer's teams in general.

V&T had some superb programs and none were horrifying. S&K also usually have excellent programs. T&M are quite the exception. To be honest, I cannot think of an example of a worse pairs program

topaz

I think her team programs since V/T left have not been good. I am not a fan of S/K programs. I think the choreography is simple and lacks quality transitions.

I don't think the 'panty drop' program is reflective of Mozer's teams in general.

V&T had some superb programs and none were horrifying. S&K also usually have excellent programs. T&M are quite the exception. To be honest, I cannot think of an example of a worse pairs program

MAXSwagg

Jesus Christ Superstar was pretty horrifying.

No, it was not.

I think her team programs since V/T left have not been good. I am not a fan of S/K programs. I think the choreography is simple and lacks quality transitions.

Most of S/K programs as of late have been fantastic. 2015-2016 free program, 2016-2017 SP and FS, this year's programs...

And V/T had the best set of programs of any pair in 2015-2016 season that frankly never got the credit they deserved.

So sticking with the topic, I don't think it's really Mozer. It's just that T/M have absolutely no expression or interpretation. They tried classical...didn't work. They tried whacky...didn't work...they tried light-hearted and fun...didn't work. Even Ksenia and Fedor's Debussy SP (which I thought was very nice), which was the first "classical" program they've really done, was MILES better even with the technical mistakes than T/M's Chopin FS who you would think classical would be their style.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information