Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

StitchMonkey

This is an inelegant solution, but I wonder if Katia and Harley and should just do their junior program at Senior nationals and take the hit in points (one less element?) and the time penalty. They likely would still win or at least should still be named to the Olympic team, and this would give them a chance to practice it one more time before the JGPF.

I think Vincent did something like this at sectionals a couple years back. He had a bye but wanted to test a new layout so he just took the hit in points. I wonder how practical that might be for them.

I mean it still sucks, on many levels, but I wonder if this could be the best way to preserve sanity.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

This is an inelegant solution, but I wonder if Katia and Harley and should just do their junior program at Senior nationals and take the hit in points (one less element?) and the time penalty. They likely would still win or at least should still be named to the Olympic team, and this would give them a chance to practice it one more time before the JGPF.

I think Vincent did something like this at sectionals a couple years back. He had a bye but wanted to test a new layout so he just took the hit in points. I wonder how practical that might be for them.

I mean it still sucks, on many levels, but I wonder if this could be the best way to preserve sanity.

Not a ridiculous idea.

Or maybe, they could skate for the junior pairs' national title, as a warm - up to the JGPF.

Personally, it would be so difficult for them to peak twice in less than a few days. I hope ISA understands that, and lets them skip going to Brisbane altogether.

aussieSKATES

The Olympic Winter Games Institute announced that Australia's Kailani Craine has been invited to compete in the ladies' event at the ISU Grand Prix - Skate Canada International.

Along with Brendan Kerry (who will be competing in men's singles), that makes two Australians representing us in the ISU Grand Prix Series.

Special thanks to our reporter at this event, Justin Timothy Laem, for giving us the heads - up about this exciting news.

Bellanca

The Olympic Winter Games Institute announced that Australia's Kailani Craine has been invited to compete in the ladies' event at the ISU Grand Prix - Skate Canada International.

Along with Brendan Kerry (who will be competing in men's singles), that makes two Australians representing us in the ISU Grand Prix Series.

Special thanks to our reporter at this event, Justin Timothy Laem, for giving us the heads - up about this exciting news.
Good news!! Congrats!! :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Damn, Gina!!!!! It came through??

Wow, Skate Canada gets it done!!!

SO HAPPYYYYYYYYY they invited Kraine and also Hicks (although woulda preferred Glenn).

EXCITING!!!!!

Marco

Yay! Kailani scores a GP invite! Although this makes the Olympic selection even more mysterious... because it means it's harder for her to compete head to head with Brooklee in the remaining Challengers.

ETA (1)

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4...-pressure-to-claim-olympic-spot-video-photos/

This article implies she already has the spot.

ETA (2)

Since Kailani is doing Skate Canada in late October, if ISA would like her and Brooklee to compete head to head in two ISU internationals before January 20, 2018, they should simply assign Kailani to Ice Challenge and Warsaw Cup, both in November, as Brooklee was already assigned to compete in them.

Last edited:

greenapple

[QUOTE="This article implies she already has the spot. [/QUOTE]

That would be because the guy who wrote the article has no clue what he is talking about.

sammyf

That would be because the guy who wrote the article has no clue what he is talking about.

Not necessarily from best I can read the criteria she should already have the spot. She 20 places ahead of Brooklee after Nebelhorn finished, and that was the criteria to get the spot. Now I know their document is clear as mud, but that would be my best take on it, so it's reasonable for him to get the same conclusion.

Marco

Not necessarily from best I can read the criteria she should already have the spot. She 20 places ahead of Brooklee after Nebelhorn finished, and that was the criteria to get the spot. Now I know their document is clear as mud, but that would be my best take on it, so it's reasonable for him to get the same conclusion.

It really depends on which set of rankings the criteria were referring to. If the lists of rankings have not changed names which I am sure they haven't, I am very surprised they weren't more precise with the language of the criteria given all the lawsuits that this very issue had caused in the past few Olympics. https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/australian-skating-news.98953/page-13#post-5143768

I guess we will know Kailani has it if she ISN'T assigned to Ice Challenge AND Warsaw Cup.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think it is understandable if people outside skating are not sure how Olympic selection works or haven't got their facts straight. Just because skating fans obsess over it doesn't mean that everyone else does. But is great that she is getting coverage in the Australian media because the media usually doesn't give a rats about winter sports, let alone figure skating.

Reactions: mag

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think it is understandable if people outside skating are not sure how Olympic selection works or haven't got their facts straight. Just because skating fans obsess over it doesn't mean that everyone else does. But is great that she is getting coverage in the Australian media because the media usually doesn't give a rats about winter sports, let alone figure skating.

I think you could be onto something. Maybe if we asked the skaters to dress in footy shorts or cricketing whites, they might get more attention from the Aussie media.

Our skaters this year are handing in their best international results, well, ever.

Sylvia

TBD
A very excited Kailani Craine after winning Nebelhorn Trophy and the Olympic ladies' spot for Australia: https://twitter.com/olympicchannel/status/916757626939150342

Australia is fortunate to have both Kailani and Brooklee Han skating well this season. :)

BTW, Brooklee already has competed in 3 ISU Challengers this season, which is the maximum number allowed. She set 3 ISU personal bests this fall: 105.71 (FS) and 161.11 (Total) at Finlandia Trophy and 57.65 (SP) at Autumn Classic International.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Yes, it does. As long as it meets the definition of an international event -- minimum number of judges and tech panel with the right credentials and distribution, short + free segments competed, and at least two eligible competitors from two different members -- the TES minimums can be earned there, even if there aren't enough competitors from enough members to earn WS points.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Yes, it does. As long as it meets the definition of an international event -- minimum number of judges and tech panel with the right credentials and distribution, short + free segments competed, and at least two eligible competitors from two different members -- the TES minimums can be earned there, even if there aren't enough competitors from enough members to earn WS points.

I think Chantelle and Andrew would specifically choose a competition which met these requirements, so that they could earn the TES minimums needed. From a layman's perspective, there are top teams from all over the world, which indicates it should.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't think they'd have flown halfway around the world for target practice ;)

It's easy to confuse the eligibility requirements for WS points vs. earning TES minimums.

aussieSKATES

Next week aussieSKATES will be sending our very own reporter to cover Team Australia at the ISU Grand Prix Series - Skate Canada International in Regina, Saskatchewan.

We thought it would be fun to do a quick Q & A with Justin Laem, a serious and dedicated YouTube vlogger, and long - time skating enthusiast, based in Seattle, U.S.A. Justin will be in Canada representing aussieSKATES (as well as his own site) during the week - long event.

Click below to read our feature article with Justin.

http://aussieskates.com/news_laem.html

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Oh look, another article about Torah Bright...wait...hold on...WHAT'S THIS AT THE BOTTOM?

Speaking after the team uniform launch on Friday, Chesterman also confirmed that figure skater Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya received Australian citizenship on Monday and would be eligible to compete for her adopted country.

Alexandrovskaya paired with Harley Windsor and won the world junior championship earlier this year before sealing a Pyeongchang qualifying spot for Australia late last month.

They would now seem like the obvious pairing to be nominated for Australia for the Games.

There was no official announcement in regards to Alexandrovskaya's expedited citizenship....

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Sylvia

TBD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information