Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
The Olympic Channel interviewed Harley Windsor at Nebelhorn Trophy before he and Katia qualified an Olympic pairs spot for Australia and won the bronze medal: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/australian-skating-pair-dreaming-of-olympic-spot/

ETA:

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor set 3 new ISU personal best scores at Nebelhorn -- 190.31 (Total), 64.51 (SP) & 125.80 (FS):
SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnIm9dCy2bY
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxJevsYAEg

Kailani Craine's 1st place Nebelhorn SP (58.02 is a new PB): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFPVE1L9co

Last edited:

Marco

Kailani is currently 4th / 34th and Brooklee is currently 7th / 49th on the Season's World Rankings list and World Standings list respectively. @Bunny Hop do you know which one we should be looking at?

http://www.isu.org/inside-single-pair-skating-ice-dance/entries-results-fs/standings

Update after Nebelhorn:

Kailani is currently 1st (!!) / 31st and Brooklee is currently 14th / 51st on the Season's World Rankings list and World Standings list respectively. So if we go by the World Standings list (http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm), the spot is Kailani's as she is exactly 20 spots ahead of Brooklee.

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder if anyone can translate this recent Russian article on Alexandrovskaya & Windsor, posted after their bronze medal at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

https://zubakovsport.com/00000658-2/
Using Google Translate (normally I would just post a link but for some reason I can't this time) ...

Ekaterina Aleksandrovskaya and Harley Windsor: We train equally - 3 months - in Australia, 3 months - in Russia.

World Champions 2017 among juniors in pair skating, Australian figure skaters Ekaterina Aleksandrovskaya and Harley Windsor took third place in the Nebelhorn Trophy series in the German Oberstdorf, thus successfully qualifying for the 2018 Olympic Games in Korea. Immediately after the rental of an arbitrary program, the athletes shared their impressions with Lyudmila Orlova for the Sports Agency Alexei Zubakov

- You rolled back both programs, how could you cope with the excitement at such a responsible start?

Harley: Actually, I've never worried so much in my life, as in these competitions. We have done a very great job over the past two years, we have been very long in reaching this result, and this success for us is the result of the efforts that we have invested.

Ekaterina: To be honest, we were very worried, especially before the short program. We never catalyzed a short program last, and on the warm-up worried very much. But somehow they were able to prepare so well for this start, that everything turned out literally on the machine. I also have such a feature - I'm always very nervous about the first element, then we successfully do the twist, and the excitement disappears immediately, and I'm already starting to think about the next element.

- That is, as at the last final of the junior Grand Prix, the twist did not turn out and then everything went a little differently, as planned?

Ekaterina: In principle, yes. But then we arrived from Australia immediately after the national championship [December 2016], that is, we got two starts in a row, the flight was very difficult. Well, the start is very important for us, after all the Grand Prix finals. I could not even dream about it earlier (smiling).

- Harley, figure skating - a very atypical kind of sport for Australia, how did it happen that you became a figure skater?

Harley: Actually, it turned out quite by accident. I was 9 years old, my mother and I went somewhere by car, accidentally turned the wrong way and went to the rink. For me it was something unusual, and I asked if it was possible to ride. I was skated, I skated, and it was just cool. Then I went there next week, then a week later, I really liked everything, and that's how it all happened (smiles).

- This year, you have a short and arbitrary [long] program turned out to be very interesting, can you tell us more about the choice of music, about images on the ice?

Ekaterina: Short program - Paint it Black, Hidden Citizen, this is a remix of the Rolling Stones composition. The music was chosen by the wife of coach, Galina Pachina. I immediately liked this music, it is strong, so "dark", I somehow immediately realized that this is for me. We try to convey these strong emotions on the ice.

A music for an arbitrary [long] program was advised by our second coach, this is the soundtrack to the movie "Mask". On the ice, everything is like a movie - a crazy partner who put on a mask, I seduce him. This program differs very strongly from our previous programs, it has more bundles, transitions between elements, more complicated choreography. We generally try to pay more attention to the components now. Last year, we skated together only the first season, and for us it was more important to have a technical assessment, a clean execution of the elements, and now we are trying to develop, work with each other, and not just to go by the hand and the elements to perform.

- How do you currently split the training process, how much do you train in Moscow, how many in Australia?

Ekaterina: We train equally - 3 months - in Australia, 3 months - in Russia. In Moscow, we ride on the same skating rink with Yevgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov from Nina Mikhailovna Mozer.

In Australia, we also have good training conditions. Of course, not as chic as in Moscow, but still good ice, you can skate, everything is there. The director of the ice rink supports us very much, always tries to make concessions to us, to provide more ice.

- What are your nearest plans?

Ekaterina: Now we are staying in Oberstdorf, we will train here for two days, then we fly to Poland [Gdansk] at the junior Grand Prix stage. Then to Moscow somewhere for three weeks and then to Australia.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Using Google Translate (normally I would just post a link but for some reason I can't this time) ...

Ekaterina Aleksandrovskaya and Harley Windsor: We train equally - 3 months - in Australia, 3 months - in Russia.

World Champions 2017 among juniors in pair skating, Australian figure skaters Ekaterina Aleksandrovskaya and Harley Windsor took third place in the Nebelhorn Trophy series in the German Oberstdorf, thus successfully qualifying for the 2018 Olympic Games in Korea. Immediately after the rental of an arbitrary program, the athletes shared their impressions with Lyudmila Orlova for the Sports Agency Alexei Zubakov

- You rolled back both programs, how could you cope with the excitement at such a responsible start?

Harley: Actually, I've never worried so much in my life, as in these competitions. We have done a very great job over the past two years, we have been very long in reaching this result, and this success for us is the result of the efforts that we have invested.

Ekaterina: To be honest, we were very worried, especially before the short program. We never catalyzed a short program last, and on the warm-up worried very much. But somehow they were able to prepare so well for this start, that everything turned out literally on the machine. I also have such a feature - I'm always very nervous about the first element, then we successfully do the twist, and the excitement disappears immediately, and I'm already starting to think about the next element.

- That is, as at the last final of the junior Grand Prix, the twist did not turn out and then everything went a little differently, as planned?

Ekaterina: In principle, yes. But then we arrived from Australia immediately after the national championship [December 2016], that is, we got two starts in a row, the flight was very difficult. Well, the start is very important for us, after all the Grand Prix finals. I could not even dream about it earlier (smiling).

- Harley, figure skating - a very atypical kind of sport for Australia, how did it happen that you became a figure skater?

Harley: Actually, it turned out quite by accident. I was 9 years old, my mother and I went somewhere by car, accidentally turned the wrong way and went to the rink. For me it was something unusual, and I asked if it was possible to ride. I was skated, I skated, and it was just cool. Then I went there next week, then a week later, I really liked everything, and that's how it all happened (smiles).

- This year, you have a short and arbitrary [long] program turned out to be very interesting, can you tell us more about the choice of music, about images on the ice?

Ekaterina: Short program - Paint it Black, Hidden Citizen, this is a remix of the Rolling Stones composition. The music was chosen by the wife of coach, Galina Pachina. I immediately liked this music, it is strong, so "dark", I somehow immediately realized that this is for me. We try to convey these strong emotions on the ice.

A music for an arbitrary [long] program was advised by our second coach, this is the soundtrack to the movie "Mask". On the ice, everything is like a movie - a crazy partner who put on a mask, I seduce him. This program differs very strongly from our previous programs, it has more bundles, transitions between elements, more complicated choreography. We generally try to pay more attention to the components now. Last year, we skated together only the first season, and for us it was more important to have a technical assessment, a clean execution of the elements, and now we are trying to develop, work with each other, and not just to go by the hand and the elements to perform.

- How do you currently split the training process, how much do you train in Moscow, how many in Australia?

Ekaterina: We train equally - 3 months - in Australia, 3 months - in Russia. In Moscow, we ride on the same skating rink with Yevgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov from Nina Mikhailovna Mozer.

In Australia, we also have good training conditions. Of course, not as chic as in Moscow, but still good ice, you can skate, everything is there. The director of the ice rink supports us very much, always tries to make concessions to us, to provide more ice.

- What are your nearest plans?

Ekaterina: Now we are staying in Oberstdorf, we will train here for two days, then we fly to Poland [Gdansk] at the junior Grand Prix stage. Then to Moscow somewhere for three weeks and then to Australia.

Thank you for doing that. But I have to say, Google Translate reads like stereo instructions sometimes.

Kultakissu

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor look like future world medalists to me. They have the athleticism and mental grit, and they are still so young and new as a team. With all of the (likely) post-season retirements coming up, there is room for a rapid rise over the next Olympic cycle....

For sure. They are still finding their way presentation-wise - as you would expect - but they are technically very good and really really consistent. They're still so young! Pair skaters seem to be at their best around 26-28 so they have a good two Olympic cycles in them and they might still only be in their prime 8 (!) years from now.

starrynight

It's a pity Ekaterina and Harley didn't get a spot on the Senior grand prix circuit this year, but I suppose that all pales into insignificance compared to them securing that Olympic spot (and in impressive style too, winning the bronze at Nebelhorn - also considering the huge amount of pressure they were under). I suppose their focus will be ensuring a good showing at the Olympics next year and then really getting down to it in the upcoming quad. I'm always cautious of placing too many expectations on young skaters, but Ekaterina and Harley have the look of a real team rather than just two people skating together, so I certainly have my fingers crossed for good things!

mag

I've lost track. Does Ekaterina have Aussie citizenship yet?

Someone recently reported that she didn't have it but that it is in the works and expected prior to the Olympics. Sorry, I can't find the post.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Which creates an interesting scenario in and of itself.

Grand Prix Final: 7-10 December
Australian Nationals: 1-8 December

Now the fact that GPF is in Japan this year probably helps, but even so, it may be that Katia and Harley will have to skip Nationals. Either that, or they might reschedule Senior Pairs for earlier in the week (like Monday/Tuesday).

skatingguy

decently
They did both competitions last year - won the Australian Championships and finished 5th at the Junior Grand Prix Final.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

They did both competitions last year - won the Australian Championships and finished 5th at the Junior Grand Prix Final.

Last year they found out at Nationals they had qualified for the final.

It must have felt like panic and a rush at the same time. They must have been exhausted.

My biggest concern is that they would have to simultaneously train both their junior and senior programs. I hope the ISA has enough sense to give them a bye to concentrate on the JGPF and hopefully, medal there.

Unless of course, the ISA wants them there to do a bit of a media splurge to announce the Olympic Team in Brisbane.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Which creates an interesting scenario in and of itself.

Grand Prix Final: 7-10 December
Australian Nationals: 1-8 December

Now the fact that GPF is in Japan this year probably helps, but even so, it may be that Katia and Harley will have to skip Nationals. Either that, or they might reschedule Senior Pairs for earlier in the week (like Monday/Tuesday).

I hope they can skip it. The huge amount of travel (from Moscow or Sydney > Brisbane > Tokyo > Nagoya) would be enough to do anyone's head in.

misskarne

Last year though, as I recall, they had Senior Pairs on the Wednesday/Thursday and JGPF was the following weekend (7 days between Nats and JGPF). This year they are literally overlapping.

Unless of course, the ISA wants them there to do a bit of a media splurge to announce the Olympic Team in Brisbane.

I have a feeling that there may have been that sort of thing planned, yes.

The ability to reschedule Pairs to maybe Monday/Tuesday is there, and possibly easier than if it had happened last year as the other two Senior Pairs (I assume Jessica and Ryan are competing Senior this year) are based in Brisbane anyway. But it might still be too tight...

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Last year though, as I recall, they had Senior Pairs on the Wednesday/Thursday and JGPF was the following weekend (7 days between Nats and JGPF). This year they are literally overlapping.

I have a feeling that there may have been that sort of thing planned, yes.

The ability to reschedule Pairs to maybe Monday/Tuesday is there, and possibly easier than if it had happened last year as the other two Senior Pairs (I assume Jessica and Ryan are competing Senior this year) are based in Brisbane anyway. But it might still be too tight...

Even describing the logistics of doing both sounds like a massive headache for everyone. Talk about having to split focus.

I hope they are allowed to skip nationals, and concentrate on the Junior Grand Prix Final. Otherwise, it might be a case of doing both by halves, and trying to wing it.

Are Jessica and Ryan still competing as a pair? I know that Jessica is competing in novice singles, and Ryan is competing next week overseas in Nice in senior men.

misskarne

Are Jessica and Ryan still competing as a pair? I know that Jessica is competing in novice singles, and Ryan is competing next week overseas in Nice in senior men.

I haven't heard anything about them splitting. It may be so. I was surprised to see Ryan entered in singles for Nice.

Looking forward to Chantelle and Andrew next week too.

You're right that Katia and Harley should probably skip Nationals, but what a total bummer that they have to miss the Olympic season Nationals.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You're right that Katia and Harley should probably skip Nationals, but what a total bummer that they have to miss the Olympic season Nationals.

In the scheme of things, winning the title would be a given. With a JGP Final medal up for grabs, I don't think skipping nationals would be a massive loss.

But having to train junior and senior programs simultaneously would be a massive chore, trying to keep a third triple throw (the loop) and the double lutz consistent on top of everything else.

I was amazed they were able to hold it together for the Nebelhorn Trophy and the Baltic Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information