New skating scores site: SkatingScores.com

Hi all, I'd like to let you you know about the brand-new figure skating scores website I just launched. I think you'll like it :).

http://skatingscores.com/

I've seen a few other scores websites, but those sites only have the final score tallies from each competition, an none of them seem to have what I have always wanted: COMPLETE score sheets for every skater. With complete scores, you don't have to go rifling thru various old, large PDF files downloaded from isu.org to compare scores.

So far, I've got all the scores from the ISU events from last season and the current season.

And since my website has not only the final score tallies, but rather *all* the scores for each individual Element and Component of each skater, I can do some interesting things as far as stats and charts go. I have more ideas for the future, but here are a few interesting things I've already put together:

– Each skater has their own page with all of their performances listed as well as the scores for every element they performed in the 2017 season:

http://skatingscores.com/unit/532

– For the Short Programs/Dances at each competition, I've put together "Element Ranking Tables" so you can see which skater/team "won" each Element (check out Hubble & Donohue winning the WC SD Twizzles!):

http://skatingscores.com/2017/wc/dance/short/tes

– I've got similar "Component Ranking Tables" for the both the Short & Free programs of every competition, so you can see which skater/team "won" each Component:

http://skatingscores.com/2017/wc/ladies/long/pcs

– Each country, has its own page that ranks all skaters of each discipline by their average total scores from the 2017 season.

http://skatingscores.com/nation/USA/

– And of course, there's a Search function :).

I'll generally be trying to update the site immediately after every official ISU competition this year.

Oh, and one note: I've had to write quite a bit of custom software to collect and process the ISU's published data and convert it into the site you see… There are some bugs! Unfortunately, there will occasionally be some incorrect data displayed on the site. I'm working hard to correct these problems and I should have everything running smoothly before the senior grand prix begins. So, if you see an issue on the site, please use the "Report an issue" link on the bottom of the page on which you see the problem. Please bear with me as I work out the kinks over the next couple of weeks.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the site :).

Impressive! I like your format a lot. Are you importing the data? I am just curious to know because it means much less work (thus greater chance that you'll be able to keep it up) and less likelihood of error (at least one would hope).

Thank You! Yes, I've written quite a bit of code to automate the process of importing the ISU's data, to organize the data into a relational database, and, of course, to build the site. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but due to the way the ISU publishes their data, this was actually extremely difficult and there were many hurdles to overcome. As I mentioned, I'm afraid there are still some bugs, so please bear with me while I get the site up to full strength over the next couple of weeks.

Spun Silver

Oh, I just read the end of your post. Well, good luck with the software and data imports!

I also like the easy to remember name of your site. :)

cheremary

This is absolutely amazing and a quantitative researcher's dream! I once did a study on figure skating judging at the Olympics and remember how painful it was to get that data when it wasn't even IJS. The scores broken down by element is a great resource for skaters and coaches to reference as well. Many many thanks!

Last edited:

text_skate

Oh, and one note: I've had to write quite a bit of custom software to collect and process the ISU's published data and convert it into the site you see… There are some bugs! Unfortunately, there will occasionally be some incorrect data displayed on the site. I'm working hard to correct these problems and I should have everything running smoothly before the senior grand prix begins. So, if you see an issue on the site, please use the "Report an issue" link on the bottom of the page on which you see the problem. Please bear with me as I work out the kinks over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks. I bookmarked your site immediately. You put a lot of work into this. Don't worry about the occassional bug. It's just great to have your site.
You thought of everything, even a report button :)

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Excellent idea and execution :)
I like how straightforward it is, the sorting features, and easy link to protocol.
My favourite feature is that for each skater you can compare the same element's GOE and total score across different competitions.

One suggestion: a little 'how to'/tutorial page that shows briefly what the features and possibilities are.
At the moment also when I try to look at the skaters by nation (clicking on your link posted above), no scores come up.

Looking forward to use this resource!

Doggygirl

Banned Member
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this amazing resource! Like others have said, I'm sure coaches and skaters will appreciate it as well!

Excellent idea and execution :)
I like how straightforward it is, the sorting features, and easy link to protocol.
My favourite feature is that for each skater you can compare the same element's GOE and total score across different competitions.

One suggestion: a little 'how to'/tutorial page that shows briefly what the features and possibilities are.
At the moment also when I try to look at the skaters by nation (clicking on your link posted above), no scores come up.

Looking forward to use this resource!
Thanks, and thank you for sharing! I will give some thought to a "howto" page. I may wait a bit on that though, as I have some ideas for additional features/charts/comparisons that I want to add, but that aren't live yet. So, I'll probably develop and ship those new features before doing a "howto", so I can describe them all when I do the howto. Also: I've fixed the "skaters by nation" bug :). Thanks again!

Seerek

What's great about this source is that you can see whether some of the mid-tier skaters are receiving the Grades of Execution that they should be receiving for their elements (at least in the short program). For example, Stephane Walker (11th overall in the segment) was awarded the top Flying Camel score in the Lombardia Short Program.

I've always been suspect that only the top skaters got the benefit of the doubt when it came to GOE.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hi Axel Rittberger! What a great name for a figure skating fan. ;)

Thanks for the new skating scores website, and good luck with your contribution to skating fans and the skating community! :cheer2:

What a cool and timely avatar pic too! Good taste!

Great work, wish you lots of strong will to keep it up.

Not meaning to be a party pooper, but to those who are appreciating the data, aren't you familiar with https://www.statsonice.com ? It's been around for a while.

All contributions are welcome. So, many thanks to Curran Oi as well for his fine pioneering efforts with StatsonIce.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
These scores are so handy to look at, examine, analyze and compare. But it is a numbers-based thing and should not be seen as a predictor of success. The numbers are interesting, in some cases surprising, and they provide a great deal of insight, but they are not an exact determinant of everything that happened and why. Probably everyone already realizes that. :)

We definitely do need the numbers and we also are sorely in need of these types of website resources that can offer detailed documentation, as well as stay up-to-date and provide a variety of breakdowns. We need the numbers because they exist and they are what's being used at the moment to judge and reward skaters. The numbers are an entity unto themselves which can be fascinating, and so many scenarios and cross-comparisons and individual comparisons can be done to track numbers-based improvements. But, since IJS scoring, rules, and judging by individual judges is a flawed enterprise, the numbers (and indeed the overall competition results and rankings) always need to be taken in with a generous grain of salt.

The will and desire of skaters, and the magic that can be wrought on the ice absolutely can not be measured, quantified, and broken down, only experienced and witnessed with a thrill or rare spine-tingling chills. :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
Sorry for posting thrice back-to-back-to-back, but I have a question:

Is it possible to do some kind of breakdown competition event by competition event obviously, based on individual judges scoring for various skaters in a discipline (since I realize the judging panel changes from discipline to discipline). Now that would be interesting. But yeah, I'm not trying to get you closed down, nor am I trying to encourage the ISU to go back to anonymous judging! God forbid. :drama:

Sorry for posting thrice back-to-back-to-back, but I have a question:

Is it possible to do some kind of breakdown competition event by competition event obviously, based on individual judges scoring for various skaters in a discipline (since I realize the judging panel changes from discipline to discipline). Now that would be interesting. But yeah, I'm not trying to get you closed down, nor am I trying to encourage the ISU to go back to anonymous judging! God forbid. :drama:

That, @aftershocks, is a brilliant idea! I didn't realize the ISU was publishing this information now, but now I see that they are. Stay tuned. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
That, @aftershocks, is a brilliant idea! I didn't realize the ISU was publishing this information now, but now I see that they are. Stay tuned. :)

Yep, I mean it's certainly entirely relevant to the scoring process for us to be able to examine the way individual judges judge. There does need to be accountability for the judges, and not anonymity-based protection, which only encourages manipulation and creates easier opportunities for corrupt judging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information