2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

barbarafan

So, is every figure skating Carmen edited the same exact way nowadays no matter what the discipline? I feel like I've been hearing the same exact music edit for the past 15 years, with the only difference being whether or not they use "Habanera" as the slow piece.

New addition to Carmen.....Tights half over skates...must be the most unsexy look ever

quartz

scratching at the light
I do wonder if people's enjoyment of these skates would be improved by at least 10% if the video was able to capture the music better or if the arena's sound quality was better.
This is true for me. My father was a musician so I grew up always having good stereo equipment around, and he liked his opera CRANKED. :D
When I met my husband he was a huge music lover, and his car stereo was worth as much as his car. For our first apartment, we had a fabulous home stereo system before we had furniture - we just set up lawn chairs in the living room and the beer cooler was the coffee table. :rockstar:
My current car has a Bose stereo with 11 speakers and it's generally cranked too, with no distortion. :kickass:

If a crappy music system is playing in a space with crappy acoustics, it really diminishes my listening pleasure.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not. Ilyushechkina and Moscovtich will skate to:
SP - In the air tonight, Phil Collins, choreo by Dubreuil and David Wilson
LP - At this moment, a bluesy rock ballad by Billy Vera and the Beaters, choreo Wilson and Bezic.

ETA: source is an article in the latest International Figure Skating Magazine

Last edited:

shan

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not. Ilyushechkina and Moscovtich will skate to:
SP - In the air tonight, Phil Collins, choreo by Dubreuil and David Wilson
LP - At this moment, a bluesy rock ballad Billy Vera and the Beaters, choreo Wilson and Bezic.

Thank you for the info! I've been hoping to see an interview from HPC with their music news, but have only seen a couple of pictures.

I can't wait to see the LP!

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
German dance team Lorenz/Polizoakis announced their Free Dance music choice earlier today. Pride and Prejudice soundtrack.
Beautiful movie, beautiful music. I don't recall anyone skating to that music so I appreciate the originality. I have a good feeling with this one.

Interesting tidbit about that music. It's what Tessa wanted to skate in 2014 but Marina wasnt feeling it and apparently Scott agreed with her. Not familiar with the music myself.

figureskatingforlife

Interesting tidbit about that music. It's what Tessa wanted to skate in 2014 but Marina wasnt feeling it and apparently Scott agreed with her. Not familiar with the music myself.

Oh wow really? Can you tell us more about it? I remember reading somewhere about this music and Tessa and Scott but I could not remember what it was really about.

Last edited:

barbarafan

This is true for me. My father was a musician so I grew up always having good stereo equipment around, and he liked his opera CRANKED. :D
When I met my husband he was a huge music lover, and his car stereo was worth as much as his car. For our first apartment, we had a fabulous home stereo system before we had furniture - we just set up lawn chairs in the living room and the beer cooler was the coffee table. :rockstar:
My current car has a Bose stereo with 11 speakers and it's generally cranked too, with no distortion. :kickass:

If a crappy music system is playing in a space with crappy acoustics, it really diminishes my listening pleasure.

Brings to mind..yrs ago w/first baby & pregnant with 2nd one..my husband picked up a clunker for $300.00 becuz the sound sys.was worth more..We always referred to that car as the "Stereo".

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Oh wow really? Can you tell us more about it? I remember reading somewhere about this music and Tessa and Scott but I could not remember what it was really about.

I can't find the article now because when I google her name and the movie I get essays about virtue in Pride and Prejudice but it was in an interview about music and the struggle in 2014 to find music. It will be post Sochi I believe if people want to look themselves. But she said she loved it, really wanted to skate to it, kept bringing different edits into the rink to try to convince Marina and Scott as Scott Trusted Marinas instincts at that time. I did find this where someone asks her on twitter if it was true she wanted to skate to it and her answer is there: https://mobile.twitter.com/tessavirtue/status/83404248168362

So I imagine Tessa is the reason Marina had that music and idea in her collection.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

From HPC interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2itTAbvCJg
Kevin Reynolds
SP is to:
Whiplash OST
LP is to:
The Armed Man (a mass for peace) by Karl Kenkins. Choreo - he says short and free were choreographed by Shae Lynn and Mark Pillay but doesn't distinguish who did what.
Great SP choice but Reynolds!
He is by far not my fav skater, but kudos for finding something 'new' and a great score!

forthewin

Gosh, just when you think Marina can't reach a new low, there you go. I'm over all the things before Sochi. But giving a piece she denied VM to another team is just shameless, considering VM are still competing. That's so ****ed up.

chapis

Marina does not force her skaters to do only what she wants. She lets Maia and Alex choose their music and collaborators. Maybe Lorenz / Polizoakis chose the music, it is not a soundtrack so unknown as not to suppose that someone else could consider it.

Last edited:

wickedwitch

Gosh, just when you think Marina can't reach a new low, there you go. I'm over all the things before Sochi. But giving a piece she denied VM to another team is just shameless, considering VM are still competing. That's so ****ed up.
List of people who don't own the music to Pride and Pejudice:
-Tessa
-Scott
-Marina

Seriously, if Tessa wanted to skate to that music so badly, and it was Marina preventing her and Scott from doing so, then she could have used it this season or last. I doubt she cares one bit that another team is using it.

chapis

If Marina has as much power as to prevent a team from using their favorite/dream music, then the Shibs must have a very strong character, because they skate only and absolutely what they want. They say they accept suggestions, but the last word is theirs.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Pride and Prejudice was not Moir's dream music, just as Funny Face wasn't Moir's dream music. Zoueva was adamant about her own choreographic ideas for what is appropriate for the Olympic season, which was assumed to be V/M's last. Why were Virtue's wishes and instincts supposed to override Moir's?

If L/P make it to the Olympics, they'd be a young team at their first Olympics, and what would be an appropriate program for them is not what is generally considered necessary for the OGM co-contender.

Willin

I doubt it was Marina straight up vetoing the choice as much as it was her telling them that it wasn't a program that would be competitive toe-to-toe with Davis/White, so they made a mutual decision to change the FD that season to something that would be better.

Dobre

It's very Marina-esque music, if you ask me. Just because she didn't think it was the type of vehicle to bring home an Olympic gold medal doesn't mean it couldn't be a good vehicle for a team like Lorenz & Polizoakis. They are trying to qualify for the Olympic team, and their best program--thus far--was to The Sound of Music. Pride & Prejudice seems like a lovely choice.

barbarafan

Marina does not force her skaters to do only what she wants. She lets Maia and Alex choose their music and collaborators. Maybe Lorenz / Polizoakis chose the music, it is not a soundtrack so unknown as not to suppose that someone else could consider it.

She let's them???....Their parents are part owners of the rink she uses and they have enough success that they can assert themselves and do. Besides she wants Shibs to win.

chapis

She let's them???....Their parents are part owners of the rink she uses and they have enough success that they can assert themselves and do. Besides she wants Shibs to win.

Is it really so incredible that a coach allows his/her students to choose their music ?, I mean, as long as the student suggestion is not something extremely crazy/ridiculous, I do not see how she could force them (V/M) when, finally, they are paying her to train them, it is not as if she were doing them a favor, and being V / M Olympic and world champions, I think they were in a privileged position to assert their voice. I think that Marina managed to dissuade them from using that music, but to say that she did not let them to use it, are very different situations. As others already have commented, I think the problem is that Tessa failed to convince Scott

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

I wasn't hoping to stir up that hornets nest though I should know better. I just thought I'd share with that poster the likely origin of that idea. everyone is in a better place today so I think fans can move there as well. :)

dramagrrl

Marina has been known to "save" music like that - for example, the music cuts and some of the choreo for Davis & White's Samson and Delilah FD were originally designed for Bourne & Kraatz (for the 2000-01 season, but never used because B&K decided before the season began to leave Marina and go full Tarasova with that dreadful March With Me "music" :scream:). Nothing necessarily wrong with doing that since no one "owns" a particular piece of music and the choreo ideas were Marina's, regardless of who she originally planned them for.

Jammers

Is it really so incredible that a coach allows his/her students to choose their music ?, I mean, as long as the student suggestion is not something extremely crazy/ridiculous, I do not see how she could force them (V/M) when, finally, they are paying her to train them, it is not as if she were doing them a favor, and being V / M Olympic and world champions, I think they were in a privileged position to assert their voice. I think that Marina managed to dissuade them from using that music, but to say that she did not let them to use it, are very different situations. As others already have commented, I think the problem is that Tessa failed to convince Scott
Exactly. I would think V/M had more pull as 6 time World medalists and defending Olympic champions then say the Shibs have right now who can't match that resume despite their successes in the last couple years.

mollymgr

Marina is the ultimate :EVILLE:. Scrapping Igor's Rach and giving his exiting team Pride and Prejudice which was supposed to be V/M's 4 seasons ago. She blasts Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" in her sports car on the way to the rink.:drama::rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information