Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man's Best Friend (The Book Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairecloutier

Just finished an interesting book called Life at Home in the Twenty-First Century: 32 Families Open Their Doors.

The book documents an anthropology study done in the Los Angeles area from 2001-2005. Two anthropology professors and their team spent well over 1500 hours videotaping/documenting the home lives of 32 middle-class families with kids in LA. The goal was to get a sense of how Americans actually live--what their homes look like, what possessions they own, what kind of food they eat at home, what they do for leisure, everything. Basically, the team studied these 32 American families and their personal artifacts like they would study an ancient town whose ruins were recently discovered.

The book is full of photographs of all the houses in the study. I found it fascinating to look through all the pictures and read the results.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I just finished a book called "Hikertrash: Life on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Erin Miller. It was basically her journal of days of the journey she and her husband took to through-hike the trail, as well as the folks they met along the way. I like true/real stories, and her writing voice is one that I enjoyed throughout the book.

puglover

I just got Sue Grafton's book "Y is for Yesterday". In the introduction, it sounds like she is not writing past "Z" and hopes her grandchildren (I think) will follow in their "Nana's" footsteps. A friend introduced me to this series years ago and although I have liked some more then others, I feel like Kinsey is a real person. I also read "Crime Scene" by Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman. He has tried other characters as leads before and although Alex Delaware does make an appearance in this novel, this new guy that he has as the protagonist seems to work. I also read "The Good Daughter" by Karin Slaughter and I felt - she was a better writer then I remembered. Her characters were new to me but she did a great job of developing them in this book.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Three beach reads I've finished:

Dead Letters: I read this mainly because of a review that said: Featuring a colorful, raucous cast of characters, Caite Dolan-Leach’s debut thriller takes readers on a literary scavenger hunt for clues concealed throughout the seemingly idyllic wine country, hidden in plain sight on social media, and buried at the heart of one tremendously dysfunctional, utterly unforgettable family. If by dysfunctional they really meant unlikable people behaving badly while the unlikable narrator judges them harshly while behaving badly herself, then I agree. I did not like this book at all, although there are people who will. I don't have to like characters to enjoy a book, but I do need to understand why they behave the way they do and not one character made sense to me. Also, when one has read a number of thrillers, one can see twists coming a mile away, so the ending was nothing special, even though it was clearly intended to be shocking. I suspect I will be able to forget the family; I will certainly try.

I still liked that one better than Her. One woman (Nina) sees another (Emma) by chance one day; Nina has an undescribed memory of Emma doing something terrible in the past. Nina begins stalking Emma, who does not remember or recognize Nina at all. Much domesticity ensues, with the suspense slowly ratcheting up as Nina slyly makes Emma suffer in ways large and small, all while appearing to be Emma's good friend. The story moves along slowly, but there was enough menace simmering through the narrative to keep me going. Then I reached the end and at that point wanted to set the book on fire, but cannot explain why without spoilers. I generally like unexpected endings, as I don't come across them often, but not this one.

The Woman in Cabin 10: There are some obvious parallels to The Girl on the Train here--woman (Lo) on a cruise ship meets another woman by accident; Lo comes to suspect that something has happened to the woman, only everyone denies all knowledge of the woman's existence. No one believes Lo because she is seen as a shaky character, paranoid, fearful, and under the influence of both prescription drugs and alcohol. Nevertheless, she persists, and mayhem ensues. If you like The Girl on the Train and books like it, you will probably like this one.

I am plowing through The River at Night, which I like so far. The chapters are very short, so if you like suspense and need a book you can pick up and put down easily, this one might be a good choice.

Susan1

I just got Sue Grafton's book "Y is for Yesterday". In the introduction, it sounds like she is not writing past "Z" and hopes her grandchildren (I think) will follow in their "Nana's" footsteps. A friend introduced me to this series years ago and although I have liked some more then others, I feel like Kinsey is a real person. I also read "Crime Scene" by Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman. He has tried other characters as leads before and although Alex Delaware does make an appearance in this novel, this new guy that he has as the protagonist seems to work. I also read "The Good Daughter" by Karin Slaughter and I felt - she was a better writer then I remembered. Her characters were new to me but she did a great job of developing them in this book.

Wow! I have "Y" on my hold list at the library. I've read them all. I wondered about what would happen at the end of the alphabet. Couldn't she write books not in the alphabet series?

I haven't read any of the Faye or Jonathan Kellerman books for years. I read one book by Jesse Kellerman alone and I didn't like it. I don't think I finished it.

I've got Karin Slaughter books to look for list too. I think I've read three from one series. Is The Good Daughter a new one? Which series? I WILL just look it up! It's just funny that you mentioned three authors that I read.

The West Carrollton library is closing for a year while they build a new one in the same place. The Miami Township library was open (all squished together) while they built an addition. The Miamisburg library was open till they moved into the new one a block away. These new libraries are full of meeting rooms and activity places and double the amount of computers. They have an automated return in the lobby so you can take books back after hours that you have to put each book in one at a time and wait for it to be approved. But you have to use that when the library is open too. And some kind of reserve pick up lockers thing in the lobby. The WC library is going to have that too. I hope they have regular reserved book shelves inside. I wonder why they even have people working there. Just venting.............

Finnice

I am also waiting for Y to pop up into my mail box next week. I have read them all, the series is a bit uneven, but Grafton has really been one of the pioneers of the hard-boilded female detective genre.

skatefan

Home in England
Reckless Caring by Koontz was one of the scariest books I have read. It was a page turner but I wanted to stop reading but could not stop.
Oh, I will look out for this one, I love his books. The first I read was Whispers followed by Strangers - and I was totally hooked :lol:

Susan1

Oh, I will look out for this one, I love his books. The first I read was Whispers followed by Strangers - and I was totally hooked :lol:
I think I've said this before - I used to read all of his books. What was the one about the genius dog and the monster? Watchers? It was before I had Sadie and I kept thinking I was going look down on the floor and see a dog. Anyway, I can't read super scary stuff living by myself anymore, and not having anybody to call if I get scared. No Stephen King either.

Winnipeg

Reckless caring is still the scariest book I have ever read. I wanted to stop because it was so scary but couldn't because I had to know the outcome. :scream: :watch::yikes:

skatefan

Home in England
I think I've said this before - I used to read all of his books. What was the one about the genius dog and the monster? Watchers? It was before I had Sadie and I kept thinking I was going look down on the floor and see a dog. Anyway, I can't read super scary stuff living by myself anymore, and not having anybody to call if I get scared. No Stephen King either.
Dean Koontz regularly features dogs in his books :) Watchers is the one about the good and bad genetically altered creatures, one of them being the super smart dog (from memory, I can't find my copy atm).

ETA I was wrong about 'genetically altered' but won't say more or it will spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read it.

Last edited:

Kasey

Reckless caring is still the scariest book I have ever read. I wanted to stop because it was so scary but couldn't because I had to know the outcome. :scream: :watch::yikes:
Help!! I love Dean Koontz, but can't find this title on Ebay or Amazon. Is there perhaps a subtitle or something??

Winnipeg

SORRY

IT is called Intensity!!! :duh: :shuffle:

There is a phrase at the end that says reckless caring.....it stuck in my head.

This is one heck of a read but I warn you.........it is SCARY:scream::scream::eek::yikes:

skatefan

Home in England
SORRY

IT is called Intensity!!! :duh: :shuffle:

There is a phrase at the end that says reckless caring.....it stuck in my head.

This is one heck of a read but I warn you.........it is SCARY:scream::scream::eek::yikes:

:lol: Ah, Intensity - agree it is a good read (it must be hiding somewhere along with my copy of Watchers as I can't find that one either, hmmm). If you haven't read Dark Rivers of the Heart, give it a try :)

antmanb

ETA: I should have read the rest of the thread before posting :lol:

I've ordered Intensity! I love Dean koontz I remember being really young, like 11 or 12 and being stuck in an Airport in the US with my parents due to a delayed flight. I was allowed to pick a book to keep me entertained and I chose The Voice of the Night by Dean Koontz - I was gripped, horrified, and scared all at once and I think I read most of it while we waited for the flight and finished it on the flight home and scared myself silly :lol:

I read so many of his books throughout my teenage years and then totally forgot about him until a few years ago.

Kasey

OK, so here's the deal: once upon a time there was a fabulous mystery writer named Rex Stout, who created fabulous mysteries with the characters of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin....yep, I got hooked. I loved the relationship of all of the characters (even the supporting cast), and LOVED the dialogue and the richness of the writing. Sadly, Stout became old and died, as people tend to do....but wait! A continuator named Robert Goldsborough took on the job of writing more Nero Wolfe mysteries, and while somewhat uneven at times, they did tend to capture most of the flavor of the originals. I read I think 4 or 5 of Goldsoborough's novels, but then lost track of what he was doing. Somehow, I didn't realize that he had written 4 more Wolfe stories until browsing on the Amazon site yesterday looking for Koontz books (of which there are many I need to catch up on also!). FOUR MORE original Nero Wolfe stories!!! Downloaded to Kindle (who wants to wait for them to come through the mail???) and already on chapter 9 of one of them....HEAVEN!! It's like hitting a small lottery! :)

Susan1

OK, so here's the deal: once upon a time there was a fabulous mystery writer named Rex Stout, who created fabulous mysteries with the characters of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin....yep, I got hooked. I loved the relationship of all of the characters (even the supporting cast), and LOVED the dialogue and the richness of the writing. Sadly, Stout became old and died, as people tend to do....but wait! A continuator named Robert Goldsborough took on the job of writing more Nero Wolfe mysteries, and while somewhat uneven at times, they did tend to capture most of the flavor of the originals. I read I think 4 or 5 of Goldsoborough's novels, but then lost track of what he was doing. Somehow, I didn't realize that he had written 4 more Wolfe stories until browsing on the Amazon site yesterday looking for Koontz books (of which there are many I need to catch up on also!). FOUR MORE original Nero Wolfe stories!!! Downloaded to Kindle (who wants to wait for them to come through the mail???) and already on chapter 9 of one of them....HEAVEN!! It's like hitting a small lottery! :)

They've had different people writing the Spenser for Hire books since Robert B. Parker died too.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I just finished a book called "Hikertrash: Life on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Erin Miller. It was basically her journal of days of the journey she and her husband took to through-hike the trail, as well as the folks they met along the way. I like true/real stories, and her writing voice is one that I enjoyed throughout the book.

I ordered this from Amazon last week! I'm looking forward to it.

Susan1

I am also waiting for Y to pop up into my mail box next week. I have read them all, the series is a bit uneven, but Grafton has really been one of the pioneers of the hard-boilded female detective genre.

I'm 152 on the list at the library.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I am plowing through The River at Night, which I like so far. The chapters are very short, so if you like suspense and need a book you can pick up and put down easily, this one might be a good choice.

Deliverance with women, basically; a quick read with a message for middle-aged women :p.

I also finished With Malice, a YA novel that is just a hair too similar to Dangerous Girls, which I believe several of us have read. The main difference is that the latter focused on the competition that often simmers beneath the surface of female friendships, while the former is more about memory and perception (although the female competition theme is definitely a factor), with a bit of the Amanda Knox case thrown in for good measure.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just got Sue Grafton's book "Y is for Yesterday". In the introduction, it sounds like she is not writing past "Z"
FYI: She's been pretty explicit in past interviews that she's not writing past Z.

I need to check out Y via my library's eBook system. I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
One last beach read:

Everything You Want Me To Be: Talented teenager Hattie Hoffman is brutally murdered after her triumphant performance as Lady Macbeth in her high school play. Her small town is stunned; everyone loved charming, sweet Hattie. But as the story unfolds, told by Hattie, the sheriff investigating the murder (who is her father's best friend) and her English teacher (always the English teacher), it becomes apparent that Hattie might be a sociopath (in the sense of being what people want her to be solely because it benefits her), people are not what they seem, and small towns (as always) are full of secrets. This is a debut novel and it shows in the occasional pacing issue, but the author does a good job with the characters; the voices of the narrators were distinctly different and developed believably as the story moved along.

clairecloutier

Okay, this is not a beach read :lol:, and probably of limited interest to most, but I just finished A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression. This book looks at how the government responded to food deprivation during the Great Depression, in its relief programs and nutritional advice. The book is approachable; the authors are writers who specialize in culinary history, not academics. They look at what Americans were actually eating before the Depression, and how the Depression affected diets. You learn some interesting factoids. For example, as apartments in cities were hacked up and made into smaller units, with smaller kitchens, in the early 1900s, there was an associated rise in cafeteria-style eateries in cities (e.g., Automats). Some urban residents virtually stopped cooking at home and ate out all the time (kind of like some people in Paris traditionally taking most of their meals at neighborhood brasseries). (I can say that I wish some more of these cheap cafeteria-style restaurants had still existed when I was living in a 400-sq-ft apartment in Queens years ago!)

Another interesting thing: The 1920s were apparently a decade of widespread food-faddism, much like today. People were trying all kinds of diets. Interestingly, back in the 20s/30s, milk was seen as a superfood (much like chia seeds and kale today). This was partly because milk was in fact severely lacking in many people's diets (especially children's) prior to the Depression, especially in the Deep South/Appalachia. So dietitians were intent on adding milk to people's diets. (In one of the early federal relief programs, a family of 5 or 6 would be issued 7 gallons of milk per week in the meal plan!) With people looking for ways to raise milk intake, the popularity of creamed vegetables in white sauces and casserole dishes based on white sauces increased. (So, this much-derided aspect of traditional American cooking actually in part developed due to health concerns!)

The most discouraging part of the book was the political debate around food relief in the Depression. Then, as now, the pendulum swung back & forth between progressives who supported food relief for humanitarian/social reasons and conservatives who opposed it out of fear that it would ruin people's work ethic. Some direct food/economic relief was passed on a federal level after FDR took office in 1932, but many/most of those programs were actually eliminated by the mid-1930s, as fears grew of people becoming dependent on the government. Then, when the economy tanked further in 1937, there were serious problems .... Sometimes you wonder if this debate will ever be resolved.

Jenny

From the Bloc
@clairecloutier I am always interested in food history for the exact reasons you describe - what we eat and what we serve our families is social and cultural history. I just put Square Meals in my Amazon cart, and note that I already have another book by the same author that is a food history through the stories of five immigrant families in an NY tenement - 87 Orchard. I haven't read it yet, but perhaps you may be interested?

If you are into the history of food fads, one of my favourite books is from 1995 - Fashionable Food by Sylvia Lovegren. It's a well researched but easy and fun read, complete with retro recipes that are definitely worth trying :)

Winnipeg

Sorry to hear grafton is quitting after a. She could easily have done aa, bb, or alpha, beta, Gamma, etc

Just bought Y and look forward to reading. I hope she doesn't kill Kinsey in Z!??

Susan1

Sorry to hear grafton is quitting after a. She could easily have done aa, bb, or alpha, beta, Gamma, etc

Just bought Y and look forward to reading. I hope she doesn't kill Kinsey in Z!??

When I went to make a note that I reserved "Y", I noticed that I had her last book "X" noted as being reserved August 2015. So it's taken two years between books. Everybody else that I read currently or have a backlog series list of is at least every year. Maybe she's running out of stories or is tired of writing. (Never mind James Patterson's 5-6 books a year - with help.)

She couldn't kill Kinsey off in Z! She could show up in a completely different series or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information