Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

Rock2

I've heard they are done.

Based on his Facebook as of May 29 at least he himself was not done. Someone asked him what he's doing in Waterloo and he replied he skates there.
So either since then he retired or he's still skating but the pair has split.

He's got talent. Two triples (at least), not tall but he's really strong. He needs to hang in there at least for another season to see what comes available after this cycle.

CdnSk8Fan

^^ He's done competitive from my source but they are not 'split' -that they were still going to be skating together but on a much much smaller ice surface.

yfbg722

Curious As well re Wirtz
My daughter was coached by the Wirtzes. It was a very bad experience, and as she's gotten older and out of skating longer, even more has come out that we as her parents didn't know. I just wouldn't recommend them for working with children - and I know others who feel the same way. If you have access, you can read my previous posts on the subject.

Erin

Banned Member
I think my favourite part of the podcast was Bruno's story about how he was on the technical panel when Meagan was competing at Jr. Worlds with Ryan Arnold and he gave them a level 1 for their spiral sequence in the SP and downgraded their triple lutzes in the LP and she still never lets him forget it :lol: Even back in 2005 she was studying every protocol apparently!

aftershocks

Banned Member
In the latest IceTalk podcast (36), Bruno Marcotte discusses training D/R and their decision for changing this season:
http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

I listened to that the other day. A delightful listen. I was wondering to what Bruno is referencing re ISU's consideration for 'shortening programs.' I must have missed some rules change discussion.

Is the ISU attempting to cut down the length of events by shortening fps in all disciplines, or in just the pairs discipline? Like Bruno, I hope they do not take out either of the lifts or the jumping passes. For all I care, they can get rid of pairs spiral sequence and alternate pairs combo spin with sbs spins from season-to-season. I also completely agree with Bruno that there needs to be an effort made to encourage more individual pair team creativity and innovation. It is boring when everyone starts adopting the same unique moves. For example, please don't everyone rush to copy the unique moves J/C and S/M incorporated into their very popular and successful programs last season!

Although Deanna/Nate's new lifts are not completely new, they look good on them, particularly in the way the lift changes of position are utilized and put together (choreo by Mark Pillay).

kittysk8ts

I listened to that the other day. A delightful listen. I was wondering to what Bruno is referencing re ISU's consideration for 'shortening programs.' I must have missed some rules change discussion.

Is the ISU attempting to cut down the length of events by shortening fps in all disciplines, or in just the pairs discipline? Like Bruno, I hope they do not take out either of the lifts or the jumping passes. For all I care, they can get rid of pairs spiral sequence and alternate pairs combo spin with sbs spins from season-to-season. I also completely agree with Bruno that there needs to be an effort made to encourage more individual pair team creativity and innovation. It is boring when everyone starts adopting the same unique moves. For example, please don't everyone rush to copy the unique moves J/C and S/M incorporated into their very popular and successful programs last season!

Although Deanna/Nate's new lifts are not completely new, they look good on them, particularly in the way the lift changes of position are utilized and put together (choreo by Mark Pillay).

Hi @aftershocks - re length of programs, go to page 74 of this document :)

http://static.isu.org/media/1003/20...ce-and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_final.pdf

DFO

I guess you are all aware of it, but we had some pairs at Detroit Summer Skate. Here is the link, thanks to @Sylvia

Junior
Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud (CAN) 48,92 + 91.6- (official combined result is not official, programs are separate , but total would have been 140,72)
Patricia Andrew/Paxton Knott (CAN) 37,34 + 6.5- (97,84)
The Boys-Eddy withdraw.

Novice
Liu Pereira/James Robart-Morgan (CAN) 27,47 + 47,94 total 75, 41

aftershocks

Banned Member

Thanks @kittysk8ts. I see that all free programs are now set at 4 min for seniors. But I didn't see a discussion of how program content is expected to be managed. Program requirements and tech content are already overdone. It will be interesting to see how this works out, since every competitor's modus operandi is point-gathering.

kittysk8ts

Thanks @kittysk8ts. I see that all free programs are now set at 4 min for seniors. But I didn't see a discussion of how program content is expected to be managed. Program requirements and tech content are already overdone. It will be interesting to see how this works out, since every competitor's modus operandi is point-gathering.
You are most welcome. Yes, we will have to go to the technical requirements for 2018-2019 to see what will change there, when the time comes. This past season in ice dance, the FD was reduced to 4 minutes and to coincide with that they made the step sequences less onerous and reduced the # of lifts from 4 to 3. It is hard to keep up with the rules!

DFO

Minto Novice pairs short program done. Non official results.
1. Ripley/Brawley33.72
2. MicIntosh/Toste 29.02
3. Pouliot/Simard 27,9
4, Swanson / Ebert 25,63
5. Perrrault/Pierro 24,19
6. Turbide/St-Louis 21,76

3WD. All injuries. Forest/Foster, Roy/Guay, Bergeron / Labelle.

Great start for Ripley/Brawley. First outing for Poulior/Simard showing some potential but needing a little time together.

Junior coming soon.

Last edited:

DFO

Minto Junior pairs short program. Non official results:

1 Walsh/Michaud 53,65
2 Boys-Eddy x2 42.86
3 Levesque / Hudon 39,18
4. Andrew/Knott 39,08
5 Frantz x 2 37.22
6 Mc Caw/Addcock 32,55
7 Schumacher/Daleman 31,93
WD Eby/Den Boer

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Did the senior short program at Minto take place? The stream went off line after junior and never came back. There were only two pairs entered.

DFO

Just one was supposed to be there, the Korean pairs. But when I saw the judges were leaving and the zamboni went in, then i left...

Catherine M

From Minto, the only jr team I feel that is ready for the JGP is Walsh/Michaud. Well the Boys-Eddys have the twist and lift but she can't jump so not sure if they'll get an assignment. Be interesting to see how Choinard/Ostiguy and Matte/Ferland look in a few weeks when they make their season debut and if Eby/den Boer debut anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information