2017 U.S. Stars on Ice (April 13 & May 4-21): publicity articles, fan reports & more

twizzlesizzle

I agree that pairs bring a visceral thrill of a sort that dance doesnt. (Happily dance is becoming more popular with the increasing interest in ballroom dancing.) Pairs is the scariest discipline, after all. I wonder why SOI left it out?

I have to believe that there is some type of insurance issue. That's my theory anyway. There hasn't been a pairs team since Marissa and Simon were special guests in the last post-Olympic tour.

twizzlesizzle

I'm surprised Davis and White aren't able to boost attendance a bit? I mean, Meryl won DWTS.

Sadly, they've run their course somewhat. Big names are only big names for so long.

The attendance in Hershey was sad. As was said though, the kids that skated as the "future" part of the show around intermission, were there way early. There were a lot of people from out of town as well. I personally didn't see anyone leaving early.

As for the slow paced show, well, Jeff Buttle can take the blame on that.

Next year will be a better year due to Olympic skaters being on the tour (who? we'll find out).

I, for one, didn't necessarily care for the kids that participated, nor did I really care that the Skyliners Synchro team was added. I didn't pay to see them. I paid to see the cast.

There is no way to boost attendance currently. The prices for the tickets in Hershey are some of the most expensive tickets on the entire tour, so that probably held people back too. I think that someone other than Jeff Buttle needs to take on the show choreo and theme. There's far too many better creative minds out there that could put a show together that would bring in a crowd.

clairecloutier

I have to believe that there is some type of insurance issue. That's my theory anyway. There hasn't been a pairs team since Marissa and Simon were special guests in the last post-Olympic tour.

I really doubt that's the problem. I mean, they had pairs on the tour for years, in some cases several pairs. My feeling is they don't think any of the current U.S. pairs are good enough, or enough of a box-office draw, to be included (something I don't agree with). And the U.S. tour isn't long enough (and therefore sufficiently financially rewarding) to draw the interest of any good non-U.S. pairs.

I saw the tour for the last 2 years and really enjoyed Jeff Buttle's choreography, especially in the 2015 tour. So I kind of hate to see him being thrown under the bus here ... However, that said, I'm watching some of the videos from the Hershey show, and I have to agree that overall, the tone of the show feels a bit ponderous and moody. Last year's show was also on the dark & moody side. So, if that is Jeff's aesthetic, perhaps they need someone else on the team to balance that out a bit.

Scrufflet

I really doubt that's the problem. I mean, they had pairs on the tour for years, in some cases several pairs. My feeling is they don't think any of the current U.S. pairs are good enough, or enough of a box-office draw, to be included (something I don't agree with). And the U.S. tour isn't long enough (and therefore sufficiently financially rewarding) to draw the interest of any good non-U.S. pairs.

I saw the tour for the last 2 years and really enjoyed Jeff Buttle's choreography, especially in the 2015 tour. So I kind of hate to see him being thrown under the bus here ... However, that said, I'm watching some of the videos from the Hershey show, and I have to agree that overall, the tone of the show feels a bit ponderous and moody. Last year's show was also on the dark & moody side. So, if that is Jeff's aesthetic, perhaps they need someone else on the team to balance that out a bit.
I agree. The Canadian tour came across the same way for me as ponderous and needing more balance, Kurt saved the whole night with his James Brown number. Yes, the key thing here is balance.

Debbie S

The prices for the tickets in Hershey are some of the most expensive tickets on the entire tour, so that probably held people back too.
:confused: Looking at Ticketmaster right now, the ticket prices for San Jose, Anaheim and Seattle are all more expensive (like about $30 more for a seat comparable to mine) than Hershey. Chicago is no longer up, obviously, but I would imagine given it's a large city, those tickets were probably more than Hershey also. I had an 8th row aisle ticket just slightly off-center ice for $50 (plus standard fees)...that was cheaper than my Nats exhibition ticket. I don't know of too many skating shows other than club shows that would be much cheaper than that.

Yes, $50 a person is a stretch for a family of 4, but I don't know how much cheaper it could be unless the show is held in local skating rinks. IIRC, tickets were actually more expensive 10-20 years ago (although I was seeing the show in larger-city arenas) and the arenas were packed, so I don't think cost is the only driver of show attendance.

As far as balance, of the 4 group numbers, 2 were upbeat (opening and closing) and the other 2 (end of 1st act, start of 2nd) were slower/darker, so I think Jeff Buttle balanced it well enough. He can't always control what the skaters are choosing....it seemed that most (except Jeremy) chose a pop/upbeat number and a slower number. Nathan had 2 upbeat numbers. I think the current trend in skating music for comp is more brooding/slower/ponderous, which annoys me as a fan....not every program has to be fast or catchy, but it feels like we've moved too far in the other direction. I hope things shift in the next quad, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Since I skate myself, I may be biased, but I thought it was a nice touch to have the synchro team and the kids as part of the show (as I noted upthread, that is part of the partnership with USFS that allows the Oly-eligible skaters to be in the show). I wish Hershey wasn't so far away from my area so the kids in my club could have that opportunity.

twizzlesizzle

I agree. The Canadian tour came across the same way for me as ponderous and needing more balance, Kurt saved the whole night with his James Brown number. Yes, the key thing here is balance.

Jeremy was the one that saved the night on the US tour with his Peanut Butter Jelly program last year.

As far as balance, of the 4 group numbers, 2 were upbeat (opening and closing) and the other 2 (end of 1st act, start of 2nd) were slower/darker, so I think Jeff Buttle balanced it well enough. He can't always control what the skaters are choosing....it seemed that most (except Jeremy) chose a pop/upbeat number and a slower number. Nathan had 2 upbeat numbers. I think the current trend in skating music for comp is more brooding/slower/ponderous, which annoys me as a fan....not every program has to be fast or catchy, but it feels like we've moved too far in the other direction. I hope things shift in the next quad, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Since I skate myself, I may be biased, but I thought it was a nice touch to have the synchro team and the kids as part of the show (as I noted upthread, that is part of the partnership with USFS that allows the Oly-eligible skaters to be in the show). I wish Hershey wasn't so far away from my area so the kids in my club could have that opportunity.

I don't like to look at things at light and dark or upbeat and slow. Stars is a chance to see the programs that you wouldn't see in competition (for the most part). It's a chance to take skating outside of the box. Jeremy is going well outside the norm and people don't understand it. His 1st program was slow but went into big techno, his 2nd program was slow but if you follow along, you can see what the point of the program is. Sure, a draw is to have the champs and have them do their competition programs. In the past, that used to be Act 1. Everyone did their comp pieces and then the themes would kick in, in the 2nd act.

Also, one of the slower/darker numbers was an homage to Mr. Billings (end of Act 1). Bright lights was ok, kind of annoying honestly. There are better things than that, that could've been done for a group number. Same goes for the Blackhole Sun, ice dance number. I like the dark and mysterious programs, but at the same time, Ashley's hand clap number was great as well. I just think that overall, there needs to be more thought put into the show. Also, if you look back over the past couple years, some of the better group numbers have come from people other than Jeff.

Z

ZilphaK

I'm not sure whether they are going to invite synchro teams at other stops along the way. Central PA isn't a hotbed for up-and-coming elite singles skaters -- we have a few, for sure, and that's exciting -- but synchro and theater on ice, along with club competition competitors, are where the clubs are staying alive and one of the faster growing areas for clubs. Seeing high-level synchro team was a nod to the clubs here, but also a good "look-see" for kids who might want to try ice skating, but who don't see themselves as solo-sports people. I know SOI gains little by having them there, but as far as promoting the sport overall in all its forms, I thought it was a smart and gracious move.

twizzlesizzle

I'm not sure whether they are going to invite synchro teams at other stops along the way. Central PA isn't a hotbed for up-and-coming elite singles skaters -- we have a few, for sure, and that's exciting -- but synchro and theater on ice, along with club competition competitors, are where the clubs are staying alive and one of the faster growing areas for clubs. Seeing high-level synchro team was a nod to the clubs here, but also a good "look-see" for kids who might want to try ice skating, but who don't see themselves as solo-sports people. I know SOI gains little by having them there, but as far as promoting the sport overall in all its forms, I thought it was a smart and gracious move.

It's not what I paid to go see. There was no announcement of them being there. The kids that did the "future" thing paid somewhere around $300/per kid to participate. Other people around us thought this as well, that it wasn't necessary and/or what admission was paid for.

Z

ZilphaK

It's not what I paid to go see. There was no announcement of them being there. The kids that did the "future" thing paid somewhere around $300/per kid to participate. Other people around us thought this as well, that it wasn't necessary and/or what admission was paid for.

I guess it depends on who you're sitting with. The folks around me who didn't know about synchro or who had never seen elite-level synchro thought it was pretty cool. :)

The two "surprise" programs sandwiched the intermission and didn't interrupt the flow of the show. The kids' portion wasn't even done with the lights down; most people were still out in the concourse. If anything, the $12,000-ish the kids brought in might have been the make it or break it that even allowed the show to make a stop at Hershey--I don't think they have this at every stop. Total, the two guest programs took up about 6 minutes.

Dobre

I don't think the Shibs' decision not to tour has anything to do with what any other skater might choose, but with how it has impacted Maia & Alex's own preparation process. They toured in Japan in 2014 and in the U.S. last season. They weren't as ready as C&B early in the season of 2014-2015, and they spent the rest of the year chasing Chock & Bates. The following year, the Shibs worked through the off season and built up to second in the World. This past year, they toured and didn't feel ready for the Challenger series so didn't go out until Skate America. As far as touring goes, I think the Shibs just made the best decision for them. They were in Lausanne with Stephane Lambiel prior to WTT and then in L.A., which I think is where they spent time with Alex Wong along with the NBC shoot, and then New York for Figure Skating in Harlem, etc. and now Michigan working along with other Canton athletes with Kozhevnikov. The Shibs use multiple choreographers, including dance experts from outside the sport. Eleven flights over the past month. It has always been common for more top athletes to tour following the Olympics than during the season prior.

Note: I never read clarification on whether the Shibs were offered an actual invite to WTT. In the thread I was reading, it was only clear that they turned down at least a spot on the alternates list.

Z

ZilphaK

As information: tickets via the skating clubs for Hershey show were $17 or $35-ish (all 100 level, high or lower). Anyone could get the tickets, they just had to purchase them through a local club member.

twizzlesizzle

I guess it depends on who you're sitting with. The folks around me who didn't know about synchro or who had never seen elite-level synchro thought it was pretty cool. :)

The two "surprise" programs sandwiched the intermission and didn't interrupt the flow of the show. The kids' portion wasn't even done with the lights down; most people were still out in the concourse. If anything, the $12,000-ish the kids brought in might have been the make it or break it that even allowed the show to make a stop at Hershey--I don't think they have this at every stop. Total, the two guest programs took up about 6 minutes.

The tour will always stop in Hershey. It's one of the places that Scott Hamilton said it would always go to.

The kids paying to do a number will more than likely be at every stop. A guest elite synchro team? Probably not, but not out of the question.

As for interrupting the flow of the show? The cast had just come off a tribute piece to Mr. Billings to end their portion of the first half. Nothing should've followed it. The Skyliners, albeit not their fault, killed that moment/mood.

Z

ZilphaK

The kids paying to do a number will more than likely be at every stop.

They weren't two years ago. Only a few shows had the kids' number. Not sure about last year. Maybe it's part of the deal to fulfill Scot's promise of Hershey always being on the tour.

Debbie S

As for interrupting the flow of the show? The cast had just come off a tribute piece to Mr. Billings to end their portion of the first half. Nothing should've followed it. The Skyliners, albeit not their fault, killed that moment/mood.
I don't know if the Skyliners "killed the mood" any more than buying concessions or standing in line for the ladies room would have. Synchro teams are always scheduled right before the ice cut b/c of ice quality/maintenance concerns.

In the USFS leadership report for Governing Council, it said that several stops would have a synchro performance, but did not specify which ones. It sounded like the "club activities" (kids number) would be at 6 of the 7 stops. Based on some fan comments on skater Instagrams, it sounds like there was a kids number in Chicago.

Z

ZilphaK

Here's the kids' number at Hershey. (Only about 20 seconds are missing from beginning.)

https://www.facebook.com/pennsylvaniaskaters/videos/1887098831533984/

ETA: My daughter did this about 2 years ago. At that time, all the skaters had to be Intermediate FS or higher. Some of the clubs paid half the bill for their skaters. There were 2-3 rehearsals, run by local coaches with SOI choreography and song choice. No solos or "step outs." The day of, the kids arrived early to go over the program with some of the SOI skaters. I believe it was Ryan Bradley and Ben Agosto that worked with the kids that time around, and it was hilarious...the guys were being very "tough" (i.e. pretend tough) on the kids. All the kids then got to sit rinkside during warm-ups and had autographs signed (not sure whether they did that this time.) Two years ago, they all also received a SOI jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a complete version of the finale in Hershey, PA to Timberlake's "Can't Stop the Feeling" (from the Trolls film soundtrack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8f52syhGo

Re-posting from the Hubbell/Donohue fan thread:
Here are some nice fan videos from Hershey Believer and Stand By Me
Same uploader also shared Chock/Bates' "Under Pressure" in Hershey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYip1SX9K1Q
This instagram user has some absolutely gorgeous photos from Hershey.
Davis and White--Adagio for Strings, Sax, Meryl alone
Hubbell and Donohue--1,2
Chock and Bates, Madison alone
Karen Chen--1,2
Nathan Chen--1,2,3
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold--1,2
Adam Rippon--1,2
Some of them are slide shows containing more than one photo
2 photos of Abbott added:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzYcCzAYCw/?taken-by=jrdj4al
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzX9UfAvFH/?taken-by=jrdj4al
1 more of Rippon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzhb-FAwY4/?taken-by=jrdj4al

Group photos before the Chicago (and Hamilton) SOI shows: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTwxTtMlPQH/?taken-by=starsonice
Charlie White's comment: "It's not a competition but we're like 5% cuter"
A reply to him: "@charlieawhite unfortunately, you're not in a pic so you have to deduct those 5%"

twizzlesizzle

Here's a complete version of the finale in Hershey, PA to Timberlake's "Can't Stop the Feeling" (from the Trolls film soundtrack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8f52syhGo

Re-posting from the Hubbell/Donohue fan thread:

Same uploader also shared Chock/Bates' "Under Pressure" in Hershey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYip1SX9K1Q

2 photos of Abbott added:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzYcCzAYCw/?taken-by=jrdj4al
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzX9UfAvFH/?taken-by=jrdj4al
1 more of Rippon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzhb-FAwY4/?taken-by=jrdj4al

Group photos before the Chicago (and Hamilton) SOI shows: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTwxTtMlPQH/?taken-by=starsonice
Charlie White's comment: "It's not a competition but we're like 5% cuter"
A reply to him: "@charlieawhite unfortunately, you're not in a pic so you have to deduct those 5%"

The youtube poster that you referenced for the two videos is someone who stole them from someone else. I saw that that user got hit with copyright or something earlier in the week/last week when someone posted photos from Hershey and subsequently those photos got removed. So you may want to search and find out who those videos really belong to.

Sylvia

TBD
So you may want to search and find out who those videos really belong to.
I actually did search for the original source of the SOI finale video but couldn't find anything on YT (I'm rarely on Facebook). I prefer not to post links to "stolen" videos like this one but went against my better judgement this time.

Here's an article with quotes from Karen and Nathan who were interviewed at SOI in Hershey:
Excerpt:
The two are appearing in the tour’s six May shows and each are skating two solos in the show. Karen is debuting “Rise” by Katy Perry, choreographed by Uzbekistan’s Misha Ge, and reprising a number she choreographed to the Butterfly Lovers’ Violin Concerto. Nathan is performing his 2016-17 exhibition program to “Stole the Show” by Kygo ft. Parson James, which he choreographed himself, and a new show number to “Parachute” by Otto Knows.
ETA:

3 Hershey SOI photos by a fan - first 2 are of the show:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTu8Qc-DiVd/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTu_5mdjmyc/
With skaters (Madi C., Evan, Nathan, Karen, Adam, Madi H., Zach) at the meet & greet afterwards: https://www.instagram.com/p/BT9n0RODw3o/

Pre-San Jose show photos:

Entire group: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAicajlmzk/?taken-by=starsonice&hl=en

Bates, Davis, Chock: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAPYKUBsRO/?taken-by=chockolate02&hl=en

Chock and Bates: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUARWEflVDG/?taken-by=evan_bates

Ashley Wagner's new exhibition costume: https://www.instagram.com/p/BT_8tPOFvvC/?taken-by=lisamckinnon90210&hl=en

Last edited:

twizzlesizzle

I actually did search for the original source of the SOI finale video but couldn't find anything on YT (I'm rarely on Facebook). I prefer not to post links to "stolen" videos like this one but went against my better judgement this time.

So if you prefer not to do it, then maybe it's best to leave it alone and not post it. But hey, no one else knows how to search for anything on the web, right?

mollymgr

The youtube poster that you referenced for the two videos is someone who stole them from someone else. I saw that that user got hit with copyright or something earlier in the week/last week when someone posted photos from Hershey and subsequently those photos got removed. So you may want to search and find out who those videos really belong to.
I'm just curious how you know these are stolen. AFAIK, there is no way to search or know the originator of a random video that would be obvious or easy. I would think the burden of tracking down stolen videos lies with the creator of the videos. How is a viewer supposed to know that they didn't go upload them under a different username?

twizzlesizzle

I'm just curious how you know these are stolen. AFAIK, there is no way to search or know the originator of a random video that would be obvious or easy. I would think the burden of tracking down stolen videos lies with the creator of the videos. How is a viewer supposed to know that they didn't go upload them under a different username?

I've had go rounds with that user in the past. So I have first hand experience in dealing with them. They have the same user handle on several different social media accounts. Nothing of theirs is original. Thanks for asking though.

Sylvia

TBD
The finale video from the graciegoldecu account. Anything from that account is not original content.
Ok, that's what I thought but you mentioned "two videos" in your first post and I wasn't sure.

So if you prefer not to do it, then maybe it's best to leave it alone and not post it.
Yes, I'm guilty this time and I know it :lynch:. Thank you, @mollymgr for finding what looks like the ORIGINAL video that I missed finding.

twizzlesizzle

You'd have to ask. I think you'd be capable. I mean, you're on me about it. I'd actually love to be an intellectual property lawyer.

I just know that the user that posted the finale video is not posting their original content. There's no credit given to whoever's video it is and like I said, I've crossed paths with DMCA and that user before.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!

mollymgr

You'd have to ask. I think you'd be capable. I mean, you're on me about it. I'd actually love to be an intellectual property lawyer.

I just know that the user that posted the finale video is not posting their original content. There's no credit given to whoever's video it is and like I said, I've crossed paths with DMCA and that user before.

:lol: No, I'm not that invested into youtube videos to figure out who owns what. I just thought it looked the same so it could have been it. But we can't really be sure other than the info you provided about this problem poster.
I appreciate fans uploading videos. I have had videos of mine reuploaded by other posters and I don't really care if they "recycle" them because I feel any views gone towards skating is benefitting it in the long run. But that's my own opinion.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information