San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
The hotel information section has been added to the event website. There are currently two hotel options for reservations, if anyone is interested in booking. Be warned that one of the hotels (the Fairmont) requires a full deposit paid up front, which I am glad I noticed.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

The hotel information section has been added to the event website. There are currently two hotel options for reservations, if anyone is interested in booking. Be warned that one of them requires a full deposit paid up front, which I am glad I noticed.

And the deposit is non-refundable. I'll keep my Four Points reservation.

jkl

I just got an email confirmation that the secondary rink which used to be called Sharks Ice and is now something like Solar4America will let us bring in seat backs. They are considering renting them on site to skating fans who don't want to sit on bleacher seats all day. No final decision has been made on that.

tylersf

I love the SAP Center. It's so beautiful for figure skating. I was at the 2012 Nationals and the 2012 US Olympic Gymnastic Trials at that location.

I love in San Jose in general with its many shopping malls including Valley Fair/Santana Row, high-paying jobs, mid-century neighborhoods and its beautiful overpriced homes.

A.H.Black

I just got an email confirmation that the secondary rink which used to be called Sharks Ice and is now something like Solar4America will let us bring in seat backs. They are considering renting them on site to skating fans who don't want to sit on bleacher seats all day. No final decision has been made on that.
From my experience in 2012, that rink is also very cold. Hopefully we will be able to walk outside to get warm.

Carolla5501

I love the SAP Center. It's so beautiful for figure skating. I was at the 2012 Nationals and the 2012 US Olympic Gymnastic Trials at that location.

I love in San Jose in general with its many shopping malls including Valley Fair/Santana Row, high-paying jobs, mid-century neighborhoods and its beautiful overpriced homes.

Sadly the "high paying jobs" don't pay enough for you to own the "overpriced homes" (I was offered a job in Los Gatos years ago. Absolutely LOVED the town. But the cost of living YIKES!)

tylersf

Sadly the "high paying jobs" don't pay enough for you to own the "overpriced homes" (I was offered a job in Los Gatos years ago. Absolutely LOVED the town. But the cost of living YIKES!)
Los Gatos is one of the $$$ towns. Peggy Fleming (had to throw in a skating reference) lived there too.
http://www.zillow.com/blog/house-of-the-week-olympian-peggy-flemings-wine-estate-135575/

Many people who work in the Silicon Valley live in the East Bay (me) and take the train or drive there.

Willin

I need to get my tickets soon! I've never been to anything but Synchro worlds, so I'm curious about what the best (reasonably priced) seats are - the sides of the rink, ends, etc. Any suggestions? I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ not to be in the rafters, but not enough for the premium seats.

Also, historically, does anyone know if there's been any discount for volunteers? I'd assume there's local club discounts, but other than that...

Debbie S

Also, historically, does anyone know if there's been any discount for volunteers? I'd assume there's local club discounts, but other than that...
Usually no. Sometimes, volunteers will be given one free ticket (usually in the cheapest/nosebleed sections) for one event, but if you want decent seats for all the events, your best bet is to get an all-event ticket.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Another option is to wait until close to the event when people who ordered tickets when they first went on sale realize they aren't going to be able to make it after all.

acraven

I prefer seats in a very low row and as close to center ice as possible because my vision isn't close to 20/20, but from those seats you can't see the feet of skaters along the boards on your side of the rink. If you're not in Row 1, you also may not have a great view of elements placed in the corners on your side of the ice, depending on the heights of the people in front of you. Central seats in very low rows don't have the most comfortable view of large jumbotrons, either; there's a lot of neck-craning required in some arenas. And low rows mean you get a lot of exercise going back and forth between your seat and the concourse.

There are fewer visual obstructions if you're sitting at the end of the rink, which some photographers appreciate.

Fans who prioritize dance often like to sit a bit higher up than singles fans do, so they can see the pattern better. Even when my vision was normal, I didn't like to be too far from the ice. I really dislike the bird's-eye view you get from the upper rows and would spring for better seats to just a few events rather than cheaper seats for the entire week if I had to make the choice. That's a matter of personal preference, obviously.

Many fans like to be near the Kiss & Cry or directly across from it.

Iluvid

From my experience in 2012, that rink is also very cold. Hopefully we will be able to walk outside to get warm.
It's not that cold, I'm assuming competition will be held on the center ice surface which is pretty warm.

Iluvid

Usually no. Sometimes, volunteers will be given one free ticket (usually in the cheapest/nosebleed sections) for one event, but if you want decent seats for all the events, your best bet is to get an all-event ticket.
In 2012 we did not receive any free tickets

tylersf

In 2012 we did not receive any free tickets
True that. HOWEVER, some workers were able to view the Men's Free Skates and noted a lot of the poor costumes and botched programs.
There were some nice benefits of volunteering at the event. Snacks were plentiful. The SAP arena is actually quite nice. It's great if you have access to the private club, because it's nicer than one would expect.

There was a lot of camaraderie among the skaters, so there weren't many silent moments when they were around.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's not that cold, I'm assuming competition will be held on the center ice surface which is pretty warm.
They haven't held them in the center rink in the past. I'm not sure why as it's the best setup for watching a competition and the local comps like Silicon Valley Open use it.

mattiecat13

The San Jose senior event schedule has changed. Ladies short program will now take place on Wednesday, January 3. (The email from the SAP Center - below - said the Ladies FREE program would be on Wednesday but that is a mistake.) The Skating Spectacular has been switched from Monday to Sunday.

http://www.sapcenter.com/2018usfigureskatingchampionships/schedule-1

Dear 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships All-Event ticket purchaser,

Thank you again for your support of the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose. In February, you received a notice indicating the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular would be held on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018.

We would like to confirm this has now changed and that the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular will be held on its traditional day of Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018.

In addition, due to scheduling requirements of the overall championships, the Championship (senior) Ladies Free Skate will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018. Please see the full Championship (senior) level event schedule below.

Please visit skatesanjose2018.com for all the latest information regarding the 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

Carolla5501

The San Jose senior event schedule has changed. Ladies short program will now take place on Wednesday, January 3. (The email from the SAP Center - below - said the Ladies FREE program would be on Wednesday but that is a mistake.) The Skating Spectacular has been switched from Monday to Sunday.

http://www.sapcenter.com/2018usfigureskatingchampionships/schedule-1

Dear 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships All-Event ticket purchaser,

Thank you again for your support of the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose. In February, you received a notice indicating the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular would be held on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018.

We would like to confirm this has now changed and that the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular will be held on its traditional day of Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018.

In addition, due to scheduling requirements of the overall championships, the Championship (senior) Ladies Free Skate will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018. Please see the full Championship (senior) level event schedule below.

Please visit skatesanjose2018.com for all the latest information regarding the 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

Please send us all your cash! We will have some skating but we are unable to tell you what events will be on what days or where they will be skating in advance. Just trust us.

Thank you
USFSA

(Sorry, but this is a sign on either being arrogant enough to just assume "it doesn't matter what we do people will pay" or clueless and neither inspire any confidence in me)

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I expected the senior events would be scheduled for Thursday through Sunday and they are now scheduled for Wednesday through Sunday. Fine with me. I was planning to arrive on Tuesday, anyway. I'm glad common sense has prevailed and the exhibitions will be on the usual Sunday. Whew!

A.H.Black

I assume everyone noticed the typo - Ladies short program will now take place on Wednesday, January 3. Ladies Free will be on Friday night.

The big change for me is Men's on Saturday Night. Dance on Sunday afternoon, Pairs on Saturday afternoon. I'm betting NBC will have prime time coverage on Friday and Saturday nights. Also, since broadcasts will be Pacific Time, competition starting times will probably be quite early.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Great!

I need to purchase my tickets. Yet it seems quite early. I didn't get my tickets for Boston Worlds until January!

sk9tingfan

I assume everyone noticed the typo - Ladies short program will now take place on Wednesday, January 3. Ladies Free will be on Friday night.

The big change for me is Men's on Saturday Night. Dance on Sunday afternoon, Pairs on Saturday afternoon. I'm betting NBC will have prime time coverage on Friday and Saturday nights. Also, since broadcasts will be Pacific Time, competition starting times will probably be quite early.

Looks like more of the emphasis is being centered on the men and most of all Nathan Chen. I cannot remember the last time the men were given primetime Saturday coverage! It seems like USFA is not excited about its prospects for the ladies in terms of the Olympics and decided to change strategies to draw in a different audience perhaps?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I hope NBC (and not NBCSN) will cover the ladies on Friday night because that will mean we'll be done by 8pm PST. Best thing about West Coast events is the early event finish times!

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Well, I wasn't going to, but then I did. :D

I booked at the Hyatt Place directly through their web site. With AAA discount, the rate was $126 per night rather than the 199 per night indicated on the event web site. Standard cancellation policy of 24 hours.

I guess the Helsinki excitement got to me!!! Look forward to seeing old friends and new in San Jose!

Plusdinfo

For the sake of nabbing some info from insiders:

There's a reasonably decent chance I will be living in Los Angeles during Nationals, but I don't know how my finances/time commitments will look. Therefore, I am not about to commit to any ticket purchases for Nationals right now, but I am curious to know what sort of "one month in advance" or even "two weeks in advance" options exist, especially if tickets are sold out for the events I'm most interested in (senior men, women, ice dance, maybe short programs and definitely long programs). Do people just come into a thread like this and ask if anyone has an extra ticket? Is there any other way to score a ticket right before the event? Also, what might be the best last-minute transportation option from LA-San Jose (I am not a Californian and am not familiar with all possibilities)?

Many thanks for any input :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information