San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I emailed the SAP Center with a question on Monday, and I received an actual phone call in return. I was very surprised!

BittyBug

Disgusted
For those of you startled by ticket prices, look no further than US Figure Skating. This is one of their few sources of income and they have become increasingly aggressive about demanding guaranteed payments. Given that it is an Olympic year, I would expect they demanded a payment well into 7 figures. The LOC takes all the risk, while USFS sits back and collects the $.

Carolla5501

San Jose must be working their way down the list. I just got a call about the tickets today. (I passed)

Debbie S

I got an e-mail (I signed up for their e-mail list when San Jose was announced as host) from the SAP Center tonight with info on ticket prices and link to website. Presumably it was sent to the entire list - I've already bought tickets.

I guess after the initial flurry, ticket sales have slowed. I see there are still lots of premium seats left, although the first row looks nearly all sold.

nicecardshark

I'm local, and was phoned a couple weeks or so ago. I had already purchased my tix. Not sure why Eric didn't know that in advance.

TanithandBenFan

I was looking at the website and noticed this in the FAQ:

The Smucker’s Skating Spectacular is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 8, 2018 (Time TBD)

Did they change the date after the initial website launch? They surely cannot hold the exhibition on a Monday. I have a call in to Mike at the SAP Center asking if it's a typo, but I also just noticed that the event logo says Dec. 29-Jan. 8 for the dates. :confused:

acraven

Wow. That's really odd scheduling, and it will catch some out-of-town attendees unawares.

I wonder whether this is the reason the top-price all-event packages included the exhibition with no option to skip it.

Debbie S

I wonder whether this is the reason the top-price all-event packages included the exhibition with no option to skip it.
It sounds like they may have just made the change - my guess is with the top price packages, they just wanted to charge the maximum amount they could. Or with only 5 rows in the premium option, it would have been more complicated to parcel out rows for 2 different purchase options like they did with the other categories.

I purchased the non-exhibition category b/c that had better rows available for the section I wanted. I think now that was a good thing, but I'm going to miss seeing the exhibition.

Last time Nats was in San Jose, I remember they split the Pairs FS between Sat and Sun (first group of pairs was after the ladies on Sat night, then the first 2 groups of men on Sun, then the end of pairs and then the end of men) b/c of the time difference with the east coast (and live broadcast). I wonder if they've decided to hold all the pairs on Sunday afternoon, and the men on Sun night (which would mean it would end at 8 pm local time). I guess starting the ex at 8:30 or 9 would be too late? Although I wouldn't mind...

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Doing it after the Mens would be hard on the Men and Pairs teams who had competed earlier in the day and wouldn't get a chance to practice their exhibition programs either.

Assuming you are correct about the schedule, of course.

Carolla5501

They have been "hard on the men". for years. I don't think that's a big concern.

I think the problem is live tv on the East Coast. If you want to end at about 6 PM on the East Coast you have to do the men Sunday evening in California.

TanithandBenFan

I got a voicemail from Eric at the SAP Center confirming the exhibition will be on Monday. I don't think it was fair of them to sell the packages with the exhibition tickets and not tell us the correct date up front. Adding another day for travel was not in my plans.

Carolla5501

I got a voicemail from Eric at the SAP Center confirming the exhibition will be on Monday. I don't think it was fair of them to sell the packages with the exhibition tickets and not tell us the correct date up front. Adding another day for travel was not in my plans.

I agree. Shady practice. But I doubt they will do anything

nicecardshark

Exhibitions on Monday? That's bizarre. And unprecedented to my knowledge. And as some of you have suggested not fair to those who purchased their All-Event tickets early on.

What's next? Men's free on Monday also? :rolleyes:

TanithandBenFan

Got a call back from Eric at the SAP Center. He said if you bought an All-Event ticket with the exhibition included and would like to refund the exhibition ticket, that is definitely a possibility if you call the ticket office. I asked if he had any idea what time the gala would be on Monday and he has gotten no indication. I stressed the importance of knowing the time before one asks for a refund because if it's in the afternoon, that would allow people to possibly travel home that night if flights are available. He said we can call at any time and ask for a refund because of this date change, so if you're on the fence you can wait and see what time the gala will be before deciding.

mattiecat13

So if the exhibition is on Monday, what events are going to be on Sunday? I was planning on only the exhibition being on Sunday and taking the red eye home on Saturday evening since I wasn't going to attend the gala.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Wow! People are already buying tickets for the 2018 nationals? I am way behind. I want to go but I don't want to tie up my money for one whole year.

Carolla5501

So if the exhibition is on Monday, what events are going to be on Sunday? I was planning on only the exhibition being on Sunday and taking the red eye home on Saturday evening since I wasn't going to attend the gala.

Men's long is always on Sunday so I would assume that's still the case.

That said I would really assume Exhibition is evening on Monday. They aren't going to want to do it during business and school hours. It's already going to be hard sale (the only sporting event that does well on Monday night is Monday Night Football LOL!) without saying "skip work for this"

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Wow! People are already buying tickets for the 2018 nationals? I am way behind. I want to go but I don't want to tie up my money for one whole year.

Yeah, I am not a fan on "finance our nationals" Especially when you don't know any other details. "Trust" and Nationals are not compatible sometimes :) I know I am not going for the entire event so I will just wait and see.

TanithandBenFan

I asked Eric if he knew what events might be on Sunday and he did not. My best guess is the men and possibly pairs or dance. The men are always on Sunday afternoon at nationals since NBC took over broadcasting.

Gayo

Got a call back from Eric at the SAP Center. He said if you bought an All-Event ticket with the exhibition included and would like to refund the exhibition ticket, that is definitely a possibility if you call the ticket office. I asked if he had any idea what time the gala would be on Monday and he has gotten no indication. I stressed the importance of knowing the time before one asks for a refund because if it's in the afternoon, that would allow people to possibly travel home that night if flights are available. He said we can call at any time and ask for a refund because of this date change, so if you're on the fence you can wait and see what time the gala will be before deciding.

Gayo

Thanks for posting this info because I likely will want to leave Monday morning.

I just spoke to Eric and he advised that the refund will be processed next week after his supervisor returns and he will call me once the credit has been issued.

Perhaps Eric's number was previously posted but it is 408.977.4715.

Carolla5501

Just a note... Rumor is you will need to get to the Shark's training space for all events up through Junior SP. Only Junior LP and Senior events are at the SAP center. No word on practices, but I wouldn't think many would be at the SAP.... (this kind of nonsense is why I don't buy this far in advance anymore)

acraven

Rats. But at least it's not terribly far away, and the weather should be relatively mild. (Unlike Kansas City on both counts.) I hope there is sufficient seating at the training rink; there's generally a decent turn-out for the junior competitions.

Carolla, you're right, though, that at some point one has to question the wisdom of plunking down big bucks for good seats, only to find out that you're getting good seats for just half the events (not counting the juveniles and intermediates).

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Has anyone heard anything about additional information being added to the event website, specifically hotel options? I didn't go to Nationals in San Jose the last time, so I do not recall what the LOC put out there for spectator accommodations. I've been looking at the various travel websites and there isn't a whole lot available right now. I'm hoping that's just because we're still about a year out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information