The GAY thread

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I do training as a GBLTQ ally, very excited that I was chosen finally for a workshop presentation in the States next year for 'ensuring safe spaces' in providing service etc., We have been doing this training for quite a while here in Canada (safe spaces) but within my own professional organization this is our first in the States. I still see a lot of intolerance with the transgender community, observing daily with colleagues and clients the overt discrimination..

LilJen what is the name of your book? Speaking of the 'aids era'.. I had a blood transfusion in the late 80's prior to testing and subsequently had to go through 2 periods of testing after the fact - back then it was like a death sentence.. this is one area that focused money and testing has made a huge impact on people now diagnosed..
It's called Voices in the Band by Dr Susan Hall. Link to book on Amazon-opoly. I read it for a social work course, and I'm impressed by the team approach the staff took. Often times an HIV+ diagnosis was just one thing in a line of awful things in people's lives, sadly. . . :(

skatefan

Home in England
Tomorrow, 5th December, in the UK, it's the 10 year anniversary of same sex civil partnerships which paved the way to marriage and I've just been watching an interview with photos and videos of the very first ceremony. The interview was incredibly emotional, happy and filled with love. The ceremony was carried out in a hospice the day before one of the men died. Ah, it made me :fragile:
There needs to be much more love in this world.

dots

dots

And just for the record, I am boycotting anything from flyover country. I'll stay in the West Coast and that'll be my refuge. :wuzrobbed

Finnice

berthesghost

She's the true definition of a deplorable.

Ok US gays, do you guys think we'll keep our rights after the one term president Trump has done his term ? With luck he gets impeached within his first year.
The day after the election I seriously had a think about if we were going to pack one bag with our most valuables and head to the airport, but decided we are for the time protected by the blue state wall. Other than filing taxes jointly, which we have yet to do, the federal recognition doesn't really get us anything. Here in blue state country, we're still married untill they too revert back to the dark ages.

As for Cindy, she was always my least favorite Brady. Seriously, rewatch the show and tell me Mike didn't at least hint that Carol maybe have her tested for developmental disabilities. Not just the lisp, but girl was seriously slow on the uptake.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
And just for the record, I am boycotting anything from flyover country. I'll stay in the West Coast and that'll be my refuge. :wuzrobbed
I keep telling myself that SOMEONE has to be here in flyover redneck country to speak up for those who don't hold redneck values. . . otherwise they'd (probably) never hear any opinions that differed from their own.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

PeterG

Canadian figure skater Eric Radford becomes first openly gay man to win gold at Winter Olympics

Adam Rippon, the figure skater who is the first openly gay male to qualify for the US Winter Olympic team

I would like to think the world has changed and that has enabled, in 2018, for members of the GLBTQ community to have a place at the Olympics. But rather than it being BECAUSE the world has changed, I think Eric and Adam made it to the Olympics in SPITE of the world...and not because the world has changed.

:(

PeterG

The Young'uns are a British folk group. In 2017, they released an album called Strangers, which features nine songs "...celebrating inspiring people 'A homage to the outsider; a eulogy for the wayfarer; a hymn for the migrant.'" (Wikipedia)

One song is called "Be The Man", here's a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZFrVMV0tI

This article mentions the man the song was written about, "...Matthew Ogston, the courageous anti-homophobia campaigner whose heart-wrenching story inspired their song Be The Man":

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2017/09/the-younguns-talk-to-strangers-be-the-man/

The article includes a video of the band meeting Ogston.

The lyrics to Be The Man:

Matthew Ogston is my name, and you’ll not hear me mourn
I will never live in shame, I will not walk alone
For though my love took his own life because of bigotry
I’ll be the man, be the man, be the man I was born to be
I was born to be

And my love, he was warm and kind, and my love, he was strong
And when his brown eyes first met mine, I knew he was the one
And though I walk a silent road, he will walk with me
If I be the man, be the man, be the man I was born to be
I was born to be

There is a cross upon the hill, its arms are open wide
There’s a star upon a windowsill, that beckons me inside
But I’ll walk beneath a crescent moon, I’ll walk until they see
That I’ll be the man, be the man, be the man I was born to be
I was born to be

For the man that I was born to be, is a man who lives for love
Kindness, and charity, but most of all, love
And there’s no God that I’ve heard of, who could disagree
So I’ll be the man, be the man, be the man I was born to be
I was born to be

Wherever love is called a sin, and families are torn
Wherever mums can’t love their sons, because of how they’re born
Wherever there are hands to hold, that’s where I will be
And I’ll be the man, be the man, be the man I was born to be
I was born to

Be the man, be the man, be the man I was born to be
I was born to be

Source: https://genius.com/The-younguns-be-the-man-lyrics

VGThuy

I have something a bit sad to post in here. My colleagues at Lambda Legal told me one of the pioneers of LGBTQ legal advocacy died early this morning by setting himself on fire in Prospect Park:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/nyregion/david-buckel-dead-fire.html

A lawyer nationally known for being a champion of gay rights died after setting himself on fire in Prospect Park in Brooklyn early Saturday morning and leaving a note exhorting people to lead less selfish lives as a way to protect the planet, the police said.

Mr. Buckel was the lead attorney in Brandon v. County of Richardson, in which a Nebraska county sheriff was found liable for failing to protect Brandon Teena, a transgender man who was murdered in Falls City, Neb. Hilary Swank won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Mr. Teena in the 1999 movie “Boys Don’t Cry.”

While serving as marriage project director and senior counsel at Lambda Legal, a national organization that fights for the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, Mr. Buckel was the strategist behind important same-sex marriage cases in New Jersey and Iowa.

So many of us working in public interest are discussing this part:

In his note, which was received by The Times at 5:55 a.m., Mr. Buckel discussed the difficulty of improving the world even for those who make vigorous efforts to do so.

Privilege, he said, was derived from the suffering of others.

“Many who drive their own lives to help others often realize that they do not change what causes the need for their help,” Mr. Buckel wrote, adding that donating to organizations was not enough.

Noting that he was privileged with “good health to the final moment,” Mr. Buckel said he wanted his death to lead to increased action. “Honorable purpose in life invites honorable purpose in death,” he wrote.

I read about it earlier today and I think it has affected my mood. My friends, husband, and I are going still going over it.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I have something a bit sad to post in here. My colleagues at Lambda Legal told me one of the pioneers of LGBTQ legal advocacy died early this morning by setting himself on fire in Prospect Park:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/nyregion/david-buckel-dead-fire.html

Holy Crap @VIETgrlTerifa I read this news going to bed last night... and I could not sleep.......

Reminds me of another man Alfredo, who in the documentary "Alfredos Fire" set himself on fire to protest the Catholic Church... check this out @VIETgrlTerifa http://openeyepictures.com/alfredos-fire/

Kept thinking about him this morning...

clairecloutier

Very sad and disturbing news about Mr. Buckel. :(:( I’ve had a hard time getting it out of my head since reading that article yesterday. Terrible to think of how he died. Definitely brings out a lot of thoughts/feelings. :(

PeterG

Wrabel - The Village

An amazing song and great video focussing on the struggles of trans youth. From Wikipedia:

The song was written in February 2017 after the removal of federal protections for trans students in public schools, and was quickly released after Trump tweeted about banning transgender individuals from the military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information