Tara Engaged!

twizzletoes76

Well, I certainly wish darling Tara all the best though I do hope she maintains the foresight to draw up a good pre-nuptial agreement. Not trying to be cynical but she is a catch, both in terms of her looks/charms and probable financial appeal.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well, I certainly wish darling Tara all the best though I do hope she maintains the foresight to draw up a good pre-nuptial agreement. Not trying to be cynical but she is a catch, both in terms of her looks/charms and probable financial appeal.
I am so old fashioned. I think if you are getting married, you throw your lot in with your spouse. (There are some cases, where both people own companies, and it may make sense to have a prenup for corporate and tax reasons)
Depending on where they are married, it won't make any difference, what you bring to the marriage as separate property is yours.

Second marriage.....totally different.
Second marriage where children are involved, I think it should be mandatory that you have a pre-nup.

I remember hearing a great story. A father told his daughter and intended that they could have any wedding they wanted............spare no expense. One catch. They had to sign a contract that if they were divorced before 10 years, they had to return a portion of the money for the wedding. So, after 9 years......10%, 8 years 20%.

And, the guy would not sign. Not a great endorsement for the commitment you are about to make.

Enero

I'm so happy for her. I agree about the prenup. Hope she'll be sure to get one. You ever know how things can change years down the road. That said, I wish them much happiness and success together.

dr.frog

I am so old fashioned. I think if you are getting married, you throw your lot in with your spouse.

That isn't "old fashioned", that's just foolish. :scream: In fact, in the "old days" when wealthy people married it was perfectly normal for there to be marriage contracts and settlements, e.g. to ensure that a woman would have a jointure or dower if she were widowed or to hold at least some portion of her own capital in trust for her children instead of passing to the absolute control of her husband on marriage. Or the husband might negotiate for the wife's family to settle his debts or pay for renovations on the family home, etc.

Anyway, I hope Tara is getting better legal and business advice now than at the time she was competing, and is taking appropriate steps to protect her assets against possible trouble in the future. I don't think having a pre-nup is much different from any other form of trying to anticipate and prepare for the worst-case scenarios, e.g. buying insurance or making a will.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
My brother is one of the top Family Law attorneys in the country. . (and no, I am not exaggerating). . I shall ask him. They did just do a pre nup for the son of a woman I ride with. . They are hugely wealthy.... My nephew (who works with his dad) has one. . Nephew and I did talk about this. He said that in their case he had equity and profit in the Law Firm and she a doc has an equity position in her practice. . It was just easier to keep them as separate property. My brother cracks me up with divorces that go to trial because out of say $100.000.000 they can't agree about three paintings or 4 chairs. .

VGThuy

My brother is one of the top Family Law attorneys in the country. . (and no, I am not exaggerating). . I shall ask him. They did just do a pre nup for the son of a woman I ride with. . They are hugely wealthy.... My nephew (who works with his dad) has one. . Nephew and I did talk about this. He said that in their case he had equity and profit in the Law Firm and she a doc has an equity position in her practice. . It was just easier to keep them as separate property. My brother cracks me up with divorces that go to trial because out of say $100.000.000 they can't agree about three paintings or 4 chairs. .

One of the attorneys who worked at my law school clinic also did some solo work on the side and one of them was for a rich man who was going through a divorce and she told me stories that pretty much aligned with what you said.

dr.frog

How does everyone know for a fact that she's got more assets and more income than he does? :confused:

Has anyone (much less "everyone"!) in this thread *claimed* to know that? Personally, I know nothing about this dude. If he's got substantial assets too, I hope he's also getting good guidance.

Vagabond

Has anyone (much less "everyone"!) in this thread *claimed* to know that? Personally, I know nothing about this dude. If he's got substantial assets too, I hope he's also getting good guidance.

Suggesting that she needs a pre-nuptial agreement, as more than one poster have done, implies either that she is better off than he is or that she's a complete and utter fool. I doubt that anyone here thinks she's a fool. But if someone does, please speak up. :)

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Are all the skater ladies getting the oval shaped diamond (shaped like a rink)? MK, Sasha, Tara? Or is it the current trend?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
My brother cracks me up with divorces that go to trial because out of say $100.000.000 they can't agree about three paintings or 4 chairs. .
It's rarely about the three paintings or four chairs.

Suggesting that she needs a pre-nuptial agreement, as more than one poster have done, implies either that she is better off than he is or that she's a complete and utter fool.
What we know is what she's shown us and that she was able to earn bucketloads of money at the right time. Even if she has less than he doesn't mean she doesn't need a pre-nup. Just as an example, some assets are more liquid than others and are more easily valued.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
Congrats to queen Tara! What a beautiful and unique proposal.

I also agree a pre nup is smart for both. Not going to guess who is financially more secure or anything, but in this day in age it is just a good precaution.

madm

Having a pre-nup agreement is common sense. My brother who's been married 30 years is going through a contentious divorce now, with his wife trying to get millions out of him. They had no pre-nup. She may not acquire his stock assets that he had before they got married, but she is entitled to half of the income they earned during the marriage, half the house, half of his pension and IRA retirement account, plus a few thousands of dollars per month in alimony for life. He is going to lose a lot financially when all is settled. If they had had a pre-nup, they would not be spending $50-100K in legal fees to go to court. BTW the amount of time my brother has spent digging up bank records, cancelled checks, trust documents, etc. for her forensic accountant is staggering. And because our mother was well off and died a year ago, the wife is also trying to dig into our mother's trusts, will, and bank statements, looking for "secret" money transfers and inheritance (which so far she has no right to see - we plan to fight a subpoena if needed).

Another issue is that the wife is the co-trustee on the joint and individual trusts that they set up a long time ago. Because of pending litigation, my brother cannot remove her as a trustee until the divorce is final, and he can't revise his will until then either.

I will be recommending pre-nups to my daughters before they marry. They do have inherited assets to protect, and one has a potential spouse with $160K in college loan debt. I believe it is important to protect one's separate pre-marriage property, assign debt liability, and avoid costly divorce/death litigation.

Here are some interesting discussions of the pros and cons of doing a pre-nup:

http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/how-to-determine-if-a-prenuptial-agreement-is-right-for-you.html

http://www.ivkdlaw.com/the-firm/our...en-things-i-hate-about-prenuptial-agreements/

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I used to work for Consumers Union, and when we (Consumer Reports Books) published an original law guide, it didn't start out with business or contracts or real estate: it opened with a statement about how much the judicial system has a stake in the family. I read that and had chills going down my spine, especially since, at the time, the courts seemed to use pre-nups as suggestions the way most judges use the PCS criteria. Thankfully, that has changed.

From the first link,

It's not romantic. If you fear that discussing a property and finance distribution and the possibility of a separation or divorce will dull your relationship in some way, then a prenup may not be right for you.
That's one way to look at it.

dr.frog

Suggesting that she needs a pre-nuptial agreement, as more than one poster have done, implies either that she is better off than he is or that she's a complete and utter fool. I doubt that anyone here thinks she's a fool. But if someone does, please speak up. :)

Those aren't the only two alternatives. If I were to marry someone vastly more wealthy than I am, all that means is that they could afford to hire more lawyers than I can and try to take away the things that are rightfully my own along with their own assets. Not to mention the potential disputes over community property and getting stuck with someone else's debts. (E.g., a friend was in that situation.... his wife was quite well-to-do and they bought a big fancy house as joint property. When the marriage broke up the real estate market had crashed in that area and he was stuck with 50% of the debt which was really beyond his means as a single person.... the divorce process dragged on for years and pretty much wiped out all his own savings.)

Last edited:

Justathoughtabl

Yes, I agree that both of them--not just she--should have a prenup. We know that she owns 3 very nice homes from what she has shown on IG. We can gather that she's (considerably) wealthier than the average person. We know that he's an Emmy-winning producer, so he may also have a high income.

It's just common sense. No one thinks their marriage is going to split up (hence the "prenup? How unromantic! How cynical!") but half of them do. It's like planning for any unexpected event...flood insurance, life insurance, disability, whatever. Stuff happens. Hopefully, the marriage lasts and you never have to use the prenup.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Do people ever sign pre-parenthood agreements? Or can pre-nups have sections on custody arrangements? Seems like those would be good things to work out before everything goes south.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It pays to know as much as possible re legal/financial ins and outs, for all kinds of reasons. I knew someone elderly who put her house in her son's name just to make things easier upon her death. I believe having a Living Trust can settle without legal intervention many inheritance nightmares involving probate and thousands of dollars.

Congratulations to Tara! That sounds like a very sweet proposal. Agreed about the prenup, though. You just never know.

I'm sure Johnny will not upstage the bride or even try. He's posted photos of himself at a couple of weddings before, and he's very toned down. See:

https://www.instagram.com/p/6tFi6IBhQF/

That's so cool of Johnny to attend weddings of long time friends and pose for pics. Yes, @Justathoughtabl, it's not as if Johnny don't know how to tone things down on occasion. I was teasing earlier... :p The bride in this pic looks beautiful indeed. Apparently, she skates or was a skater? What's really cool is how she has an Instagram set up for her gorgeous husky dog, named Sid: :)

https://www.instagram.com/meganaws/ https://www.instagram.com/Sidneythehusky/

Back on topic:
Whatever very personal detailed arrangements Todd and Tara are making for the wedding and their life together is surely their own business. In any case, it appears they've developed a strong connection within a fairly short time. I didn't realize they met 7 months ago when Tara presented Todd with a sports Emmy award, as Todd describes in the Instagram post. One of Tara's Instagram posts awhile back mentions how hard it was for her to leave Todd on the west coast during her trips to New York. With both their lines of work, the jet-setting lifestyle will continue.

That bit about bringing best friends with them on their first date. What a blast though to have such trusted friends. So trustworthy and fun enough to enjoy hanging out with on a first date! Or, I guess maybe it's helpful to bring along buddies you are already really comfortable with when you are getting to know someone new. I'd say it would be taking things too far though to bring the friends along on their honeymoon. :lol:

But heck, who knows. Maybe people with loads of moolah can rent a yacht, go cruising on a honeymoon and invite their bestest friends along too. :smokin: But probably better to do that for the wedding a la George and Amal Clooney, and then have your own private alone getaway time together.

Here's the link about Todd winning the Emmy awards that I posted in another Tara thread a few months ago.
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/perry_high_alum_fox_sports_pro.html Includes a video of winning sports feature by Todd

Doesn't mention anything about Tara though (and she reveals in below ET article link that she didn't even remember meeting him then!) I wonder if there are any clips of the sports Emmy Awards with Todd being presented his Emmys?

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
... My brother cracks me up with divorces that go to trial because out of say $100.000.000 they can't agree about three paintings or 4 chairs. .

Family Law attorneys could write books about :eek: divorce stories and other stuff, with names changed of course. My former Family Law prof in Paralegal Studies told us some :duh: doozies.

However, this is a celebratory thread about a beautiful engagement, innit? I prefer to believe in love everlasting. #HappyCoupleForLife

http://www.etonline.com/news/178565_tara_lipinski_is_engaged/
Scroll down for all the Tara/Todd pics :saint:

Youtube engagement news videos up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZap8v-piHA Wochit Entertainment spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGO7bx8x4r0 Tara & Todd at a public event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfaHr7jQ49s Instagram pics montage

Todd's aunt (matchmaker), Chris Jansing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8T4ULgfibQ (part 1 of 3 about news biz)

A flashback to Jansing's local news beginnings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8T4ULgfibQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQJ5NK3kdbQ Another Jansing interview about anchoring for MSNBC; staying impartial in her approach

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
I remember hearing a great story. A father told his daughter and intended that they could have any wedding they wanted............spare no expense. One catch. They had to sign a contract that if they were divorced before 10 years, they had to return a portion of the money for the wedding. So, after 9 years......10%, 8 years 20%.

And, the guy would not sign. Not a great endorsement for the commitment you are about to make.

That story says a lot more about the father of the bride than his future son-in-law. I wouldn't have signed either.

berthesghost

And the daughter would sign? Assuming that story is even real. I suppose the need to control others is strong in many people. Yikes.

Carolla5501

How does everyone know for a fact that she's got more assets and more income than he does? :confused:

Yeah, I expect Tara's assets and income are not what people may think. It's been a long time since that OGM and I don't think NBC is paying this team a lot.

Congratulations to Tara! That sounds like a very sweet proposal. Agreed about the prenup, though. You just never know.
I'm sure Johnny will not upstage the bride or even try. He's posted photos of himself at a couple of weddings before, and he's very toned down. See:
https://www.instagram.com/p/6tFi6IBhQF/

Personally if I were Tara I would give him a "role" and a "wardrobe" assignment!

VGThuy

I don't even know if that contract would be enforceable, but I wouldn't know. I may ask around.

twizzletoes76

I wonder if Tara's beaux knows Sasha's man. I just looked up both their profiles--and, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this--but, both are Brown University graduates. It looks like Todd Kapostasy graduated high school in 2002 so probably finished at Brown in 2006. According to Linked In, Sasha's fiancé--the very hot Tom Mays--graduated from Brown in 2003 and then moved on to Harvard Business School. It is also worth noting that Michele's husband, Clay Pell, recently made a bid for governor of Rhode Island and I believe that both he & Michelle own a house together in Providence, RI--where Brown U. is located.

Clearly, there must be a link. ;)

Cachoo

I can't wait to see Tara's dress: And I'm even more excited to see what Johnny will be wearing. I think the proposal was one of the more excellent proposal ideas I've heard. Congrats to all.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I wonder if Tara's beaux knows Sasha's man. I just looked up both their profiles--and, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this--but, both are Brown University graduates. It looks like Todd Kapostasy graduated high school in 2002 so probably finished at Brown in 2006. According to Linked In, Sasha's fiancé--the very hot Tom Mays--graduated from Brown in 2003 and then moved on to Harvard Business School. It is also worth noting that Michele's husband, Clay Pell, recently made a bid for governor of Rhode Island and I believe that both he & Michelle own a house together in Providence, RI--where Brown U. is located.

Clearly, there must be a link. ;)

And Clay graduated from Harvard and then from Georgetwon Law School..Pretty smart group of guys.

Will Sarah be next??

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information