Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

Emdee

Congratulations to Paul and Piper on two well skated programs at worlds.

Sad they didn't make it to Olys but their time will come.

Love the free dance and uniqueness of the choreo.

kuzytalent

Banned Member
Since they were 8th and 2 teams ahead of them are retiring/splitting (P&B, I&K) doesn't that mean them a seeded team for next years grand prix.

Emdee

I hope so.
I will go to the Margaret garrison awards if they are skating!

stojkoquad

Gilles and Poirier will pass Weaver and Poje next year. Should Virtue and Moir retire they will win their first Canadian title in 2015.

stojkoquad

The CSA has always been gaga over paul Poirier. Probably even too much so even if he is a very talented skater. Now that they have this super 8th place at worlds they will likely dump Weaver & Poje who they have never been big on, and throw all their support behind Paul Poirier now with a good international standing starting again.

Emdee

The CSA has always been gaga over paul Poirier. Probably even too much so even if he is a very talented skater. Now that they have this super 8th place at worlds they will likely dump Weaver & Poje who they have never been big on, and throw all their support behind Paul Poirier now with a good international standing starting again.
I am also gaga about him but the team has yet to coalesce fully. She has a way to go.
I think they will be contenders by the next Olys.

stojkoquad

Amazing to think Canada could have 3 medal contending dance teams by the next Olympics even with V&M probably retired- W&P, G&P, and P&I. Canadian sweep maybe?

joeperryfan

Thanks for starting this thread, Paul and Piper deserve a cheer thread too!

I'm very happy for them today, Paul had a nasty injury but they worked around it very well to prepared for the season, very well deserved 8th place.

kates8

Carol Lane reported on CBC that Paul was in hospital last week for two days with appendicitis! They also showed photos of his and kaitlyns ankle injuries. This team has sure fought through a lot this year. Congratulations to the team for a great World placement.

spikydurian

Congrats on a good placement. Their LP is very interesting. Canada has a few talented ice dancing teams. Way to go!

The Observer

Carol Lane reported on CBC that Paul was in hospital last week for two days with appendicitis! They also showed photos of his and kaitlyns ankle injuries. This team has sure fought through a lot this year. Congratulations to the team for a great World placement.

It's too bad how much of a toll skating takes on these young skaters. Both Paul & Kaitlyn are likely to have those screws permanently in their legs now after those injuries. Luckily both of them are determined and hard-working and were able to come back and skate even when they were given negative prognoses by their doctors.

The Observer

My sister just received an e-mail from Celina Stipanic at Skate Canada. She said the Hamilton event for this weekend will be posted on the Skate Canada events page soon, although just the listing for Gilles & Poirier since Roman Sadvosky isn't on the National Team yet.

Emdee

Unfortunately I have another commitment and cannot see them at the Margaret Garrison event. If anyone goes for it please post.

On another note I think that Piper improved a lot this year since Paul was out of commission. I think this was also the reason they didnt get to go to Nationals. Love the Choreo in the FD.

The Observer

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier: "We’re not satisfied unless we have pieced together something fresh and novel”

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the link, Sylvia. :)

I don't think I've seen the 'Inside Skating' website before. Florentina Tone is a journalist based in Romania? It appears she takes the time to give really detailed interview questions to the skaters. This week's new interview is with Gilles & Poirier, but I see there are other recent interviews on the site, too. (eg. Aliona Savchenko).

coraczek

Thanks for the interview. Their Hitchcock dance was the most exciting FD of the season IMHO. I can't wait what they will show next.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't think I've seen the 'Inside Skating' website before. Florentina Tone is a journalist based in Romania? It appears she takes the time to give really detailed interview questions to the skaters. This week's new interview is with Gilles & Poirier, but I see there are other recent interviews on the site, too. (eg. Aliona Savchenko).
The author occasionally posts on FSU. :) The link to the Savchenko and Steuer interview was posted in GSD last month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Bruno-Massot&p=4242511&viewfull=1#post4242511

Link to some photos from this past weekend's Skate for Hope show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...hows-in-Ohio&p=4253392&viewfull=1#post4253392

ETA link to 4 action shots of Piper/Paul and other Skate for Hope performers (scroll down): http://www.sent-trib.com/photo-blogs/scott-hamilton-back-in-bg-05-05-14

Last edited:

Emdee

Congratulations to Paul and Piper on their silver in Barrie. A nicely skatedFD program which still needs a lot of refinement. I think the SD is weak and they will have to work on that a lot.

puglover

Just watched the free dance - it looked like it has come a long way from the earlier version I saw of it. It must have been hard to find a vehicle after the very engaging Hitchcock but I think this is going to score well for them as the season progresses. Funny but Carol Lane and Co. have come up with some of my favourite "out of the box" programs such as Paige and Rudy's vampire long program and Paul and Piper's Hitchcock free dance. I also recall a very unique dance skated by Juris's son and former partner a few years ago that was just plain fun.

Emdee

Just watched the free dance - it looked like it has come a long way from the earlier version I saw of it. It must have been hard to find a vehicle after the very engaging Hitchcock but I think this is going to score well for them as the season progresses. Funny but Carol Lane and Co. have come up with some of my favourite "out of the box" programs such as Paige and Rudy's vampire long program and Paul and Piper's Hitchcock free dance. I also recall a very unique dance skated by Juris's son and former partner a few years ago that was just plain fun.
It's going to be very hard to top the Hitchcock program. However they needed to broaden their sphere and do something more traditional.

lauravvv

I hope to see gold at Skate Canada! I will settle for nothing less.
I don't think that's possible. Perhaps you are one of those who think that they can overtake Weaver/Poje already this season, but let's be realistic - G/P got 89.10 for their FD with lost levels at Skate Canada Autumn Classic, and W/P got 99.73 for theirs also with lost levels at Nebelhorn Trophy. Yes, G/P's base value was 2.50 points lower than W/P's (35.50 vs. 38), but the difference would still be huge even if they had the same or higher base value. G/P's PCS were 46.20, W/P's - 52.10. So I hope that it was just wishful thinking on your part, and you actually know that second is the best that Gilles/Poirier can achieve in this event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information