Yuzuru Hanyu reflects on Olympic glory, aims for quad Axel (and possibly a quintuple jump?)

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Kaz Nagatsuka: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...-skating/yuzuru-hanyu-reflects-olympic-glory/
Yuzuru Hanyu achieved his fairy-tale ending at the Pyeongchang Olympics, winning another gold medal while enduring the pain of the serious ankle injury he suffered in November.
Everyone knew he was still hurt when he took to the ice in South Korea, but few were aware of how much pain he was still in.
The 23-year-old superstar shed light on his ordeal while speaking at a jam-packed Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan in Tokyo on Tuesday, revealing his ankle was still far less than 100 percent when he competed on Feb. 16 and 17.
“We decided to use painkillers and managed to win the gold medal,” said Hanyu, who suffered a ligament injury in his right ankle during practice for the NHK Trophy. “I was able to reduce the pain by 20 to 30 percent thanks to my support staff.”
He played it safe during the Olympics by not attempting a quadruple loop on his injured ankle. But as he and his coach Brian Orser have already noted, Hanyu expressed his intention to challenge himself by trying a an unprecedented quadruple axel, and even a quintuple going forward.
Yet Hanyu had a hard time trying to explain how difficult a quadruple axel is compared to the other quadruple jumps he already has in his arsenal.
After taking a few moments, Hanyu managed to figuratively compare it with “doing a quadruple jump rope while spinning twice in the air.”
Direct link to video clips from his press conference in English and Japanese at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan (Feb. 27, 2018): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haRUZoA2pfc

"Ambitious Hanyu fancies audacious quintuple jump" by Kiyoshi Takenaka (includes photos from his press conference): https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ancies-audacious-quintuple-jump-idUSKCN1GB0ZD
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese Yuzuru Hanyu, the first man in 66 years to win back-to-back Olympic figure skating gold medals, said on Tuesday he would like to successfully land a quintuple jump and break the five-spin barrier.
Hanyu, who took gold in men’s singles competition in the just-ended Pyeongchang Olympics, said he still had significant pain in his injured ankle, suggesting any such achievement, with half a turn more than a quadruple axel, will come later than sooner.
“Scientific research has shown that humans will likely be capable of up to a quintuple jump. I would like to give it a shot if possible, although a quintuple axel could be out of reach,” Hanyu told a news conference in Tokyo.
An extra half-turn in the air is needed for a quintuple axel on top of the five already needed for any successful quintuple jump.
“Since my childhood, I have been told to go for a quintuple jump. So, I feel like giving it a try.”
Associated Press article by Mari Yamaguchi: After 2 Olympic golds, Hanyu wants to master quad axel
After winning two Olympic gold medals, Yuzuru Hanyu wants to master a quadruple axel.
Hanyu, who at the Pyeongchang Games became the first man to repeat as Olympic champion in 66 years, told a news conference on Tuesday he hoped to be the first, or at least one of the first, figure skaters to accomplish the 4 1/2 revolutions in competition.
"No one in competition has achieved successful quadruple axel jumps and there are very few people actually practicing even during training," Hanyu said. "I want to continue my challenge towards achieving my dream of successfully performing the quad axel, even if I may not be the first person to do so."
Scientists say humans can go as far as quintuple, Hanyu said, and his childhood coach is encouraging him to try.
Hanyu says he is interested.
But he says those difficult jumps add to the artistry of a performance only when performed with excellent basic technique.
"I bet my life for this gold medal," the 23-year-old Hanyu, who returned home on Monday, told the packed news conference. "I am alive and here, I am not dying," he joked.

Last edited:

starrynight

I don't think Hanyu has anything to lose at this point (I mean aside from the functional use of his ankles). After 2 Olympic golds he has nothing to prove.

Having a clearly defined goal like landing the 4A (which apparently he has done at least once in training I've heard) might be good motivation to keep him in the sport for a while.

Meoima

According to Yuzuru, he was told those jumps were possible by his old coach.
I wonder what else Mr. Tsuzuki (Yuzuru's old coach in his childhood) told Yuzuru. So the old coach thought of 4A and Quint to be possible and that baby Yuzuru could practice them when he grew up.
Someone should send a petition to Mr. Tsuzuki and tell him he's the source of all trouble. He's the reason Yuzuru's fans are dying.

Meoima

I would love to see him go for it. He can compete or not compete as he wishes. At this point, he does what he does on the ice purely for himself. We're just along for the ride.
He has not healed his ankle. And I am seriously worried. His pain is just less than the worst time like 30%. And he himself does not know how long it will take his ankle to heal.
I mean seriously this is so face-palm. Maybe all the talks about 4A and even Quint is a way for Yuzuru to keep his motivation to go forward.
I just want him to heal and rest well.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Next four years will be a wild and crazy ride. Not surprised by quad axel, but a quint...:scream:

Then again it has been approximately 30 years since the first quad, so I suppose it is time.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
He has not healed his ankle. And I am seriously worried. His pain is just less than the worst time like 30%. And he himself does not know how long it will take his ankle to heal.
I mean seriously this is so face-palm. Maybe all the talks about 4A and even Quint is a way for Yuzuru to keep his motivation to go forward.
He doesn't have to do it now. :lol: He'll work on these goals when he's ready.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think he can do the quad axel if his ankle is fully healed. Not sure about a quintuple jump, but someone else may come along and do it.

Last edited:

Meoima

I think he can do the quad axel if his ankle is fully healed. Nit sure about a quintuple jump, but someone else may come along and do it.
Yeah I think Quint is too much. I wonder how much his old coach told him when he was a kid and now he's trying to fulfill them all. It's kinda cute but scary at the same time. But I do think 4A is possible for him IF he fully heals.

GreatLakesGal

I'm very worried too, especially about surgery not being an option. It's one thing for his ankle to heal well enough to be able to comfortably do the usual activities of daily living and quite another for it to be able to withstand the pressure of quad jumps.

In lighter news, Yuzu (and Winnie, who Yuzu wants to "take back to the forest") had three out of five of the most-tweeted-about moments during the games:

1. Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu wins the gold medal in the men’s singles figure skating competition, while teammate Shoma Uno takes home the silver.
  2. Japan’s women’s curling team defeats Great Britain 5-3 to win the bronze medal.
  3. Hanyu completes his free skate performance, scoring a 206.17 to put him in first place.
  4. Shaun White of the U.S. wins the gold medal in the men’s halfpipe event.
  5. Fans throw Winnie the Pooh stuffed dolls on the ice as Hanyu completes his short program performance.
http://www.adweek.com/digital/figur...inter-olympic-games-talk-on-twitter-facebook/

Meoima

I'm very worried too, especially about surgery not being an option. It's one thing for his ankle to heal well enough to be able to comfortably do the usual activities of daily living and quite another for it to be able to withstand the pressure of quad jumps.

In lighter news, Yuzu (and Winnie, who Yuzu wants to "take back to the forest") had three out of five of the most-tweeted-about moments during the games:

1. Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu wins the gold medal in the men’s singles figure skating competition, while teammate Shoma Uno takes home the silver.
  2. Japan’s women’s curling team defeats Great Britain 5-3 to win the bronze medal.
  3. Hanyu completes his free skate performance, scoring a 206.17 to put him in first place.
  4. Shaun White of the U.S. wins the gold medal in the men’s halfpipe event.
  5. Fans throw Winnie the Pooh stuffed dolls on the ice as Hanyu completes his short program performance.
http://www.adweek.com/digital/figur...inter-olympic-games-talk-on-twitter-facebook/
Yeah... Pooh... always the Pooh. Disney should sponsor Yuzuru seriously!

aftershocks

Banned Member
... someone else may come along and do it [the quint]

Someone built like a pencil from outer space maybe?

Max Aaron had been practicing quad-axel in a harness, as probably have some other quys. If Hanyu is continuing, I should think he would first wish to perfect his quad-lutz and max out on landing all the available quad jumps before proceeding to any possibility of conteemplating quints.

Meoima

Someone built like a pencil from outer space maybe?

Max Aaron had been practicing quad-axel in a harness, as probably have some other quys. If Hanyu is continuing, I should think he would first wish to perfect his quad-lutz and max out on landing all the available quad jumps before proceeding to any possibility of conteemplating quints.
I should think people would first wish to comment on every other active skater on the circuit and max out on criticizing them before proceeding to any possibility of contemplating Yuzuru Hanyu.

Also, why should Hanyu jump the 4lz again if his goal is the 4A? Let me remind you Hanyu does not really need to go to another Olympics, he does not even need to do 5 quads etc.
He only wants to master the 4A for himself. if he wants the 4A why should he do the 4lz? Logic?
oh and 4A is 4 turn and a half, so yeap if he somehow does 4A he might think a 5T would be possible. He even said maybe Boyang can do that.
But first thing first, he wants the 4A because that's what his old coach told him when he was a kid. And he possibly can do it. After that he can say bye anytime he likes.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Why should he jump the 4lz again if his goal is the 4A? Let me remind you Hanyu does not really need to go to another Olympics, he does not even need to do 5 quads etc.
He only wants to master the 4A for himself. if he wants the 4A why should he do the 4lz? Logic?
oh and 4A is 4 turn and a half, so yeap if he somehow does 4A he might think a 5T would be possible. He even said maybe Boyang can do that.
But first thing first, he wants the 4A because that's what his old coach told him when he was a kid. And he possibly can do it. After that he can say bye anytime he likes.

^^ Hi @Meoima. Welcome aboard!

Hey, I only made a suggestion as to how I'm thinking about it, which is just my two-cents. It doesn't mean what I have to say will ever reach Hanyu's ears, much less his adored Pooh's ears. :D

Seriously, it really doesn't matter. Whatever Hanyu sets his mind on doing, perhaps he will achieve, if his body does not break down first. Same goes for all the quadsters, including Nathan.

Hanyu can say 'bye' anytime he likes, regardless of whether or not he achieves the quad-axel in ISU competition. :drama: Apparently, Hanyu needed to go to this Olympics in Pyeongchang to redeem his Sochi fp, and grab back-to-back gold medals. He was on a personal mission, and now that he's victoriously done reaching his goal, sure he's on to calculating his next challenge. Good luck to Hanyu and his countless fans.

In any case, I thought the consensus in here was to outlaw too many quads, not to aimlessly speculate about non-existent quints.

skateboy

Also, why should Hanyu jump the 4lz again if his goal is the 4A? Let me remind you Hanyu does not really need to go to another Olympics, he does not even need to do 5 quads etc.
I suppose the logic is that, even when learning single jumps, skaters typically master toe loop. salchow, loop, flip and lutz before moving on to the axel. Same with doubles and double axel, triples and triple axel.

Meoima

I suppose the logic is that, even when learning single jumps, skaters typically master toe loop. salchow, loop, flip and lutz before moving on to the axel. Same with doubles and double axel, triples and triple axel.
Eh but some skaters never master the 3A but they move on to quads anyway. Should I tell the majority of men they do not have proper 3A so they should not do other quads and their quads are invalid because their 3A is horrible?

Meoima

In any case, I thought the consensus in here was to outlaw too many quads, not to aimlessly speculate about non-existent quints.
Well personally I do not think we can see a quint soon but if there is no one trying to speculate it, then maybe we will never see even just an attempt. The same thing happened to quads so yeap it's normal for the sport guys to speculate if the quint might happen or not. Who knows if they can but moving forward and calculating the reality of some risk is the whole point.

skateboy

Eh but some skaters never master the 3A but they move on to quads anyway. Should I tell the majority of men they do not have proper 3A so they should not do other quads and their quads are invalid because their 3A is horrible?
Until Hanyu actually achieves a quad axel, this is a moot point.

Gazpacho

If the first quad axel is landed by a current senior skater, my bet would be Han Yan. His triple axel is enormous.

Meoima

If the first quad axel is landed by a current senior skater, my bet would be Han Yan. His triple axel is enormous.
I am not sure about Han Yan since he has had so many struggles lately. I have seen that some Russian skaters are aiming for the jump though. Their attempts have been << so far but we shall see.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well personally I do not think we can see a quint soon but if there is no one trying to speculate it, then maybe we will never see even just an attempt. The same thing happened to quads so yeap it's normal for the sport guys to speculate if the quint might happen or not. Who knows if they can but moving forward and calculating the reality of some risk is the whole point.

Maybe you should read up on the articles about the near impossibility of rotating in the air five times and landing on one blade properly. The physics of it all means you'd have to be built like a pencil.

Sylvia

TBD
Can Olympic Figure Skaters Break the 5-Spin Barrier? https://www.livescience.com/61793-ice-skating-quintuple-axel.html
Meanwhile, male figure skaters have mastered the quadruple jump, that is, four rotations in the air. But no skater, male or female, has pulled off a quintuple-turn jump.
What gives? And more importantly, is it possible?
"I'm in the camp that I'm doubtful that that will happen," said Jim Richards, a professor of biomechanics in the Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology at the University of Delaware. But other human-biomechanics experts are more optimistic.
"I am a person who leans toward the 'yes' side," said Deborah King, a professor in the Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences at Ithaca College, in New York. Figure skaters could achieve a quintuple-turn jump if they perfected the key components involved in a rotation, she told Live Science.

AnnM

My husband and I were pondering during the Games about which we'd be more likely to see first -- a quad axel, or a quad-quad combo?

Gazpacho

My husband and I were pondering during the Games about which we'd be more likely to see first -- a quad axel, or a quad-quad combo?
Interesting question. Wasn't the first triple-triple done before the first triple axel? I'm pretty sure it was for the ladies, don't know about the men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information