Which three men will represent the US at Worlds 2022?

Which three men will represent the US at Worlds 2022?

• Nathan Chen

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Vincent Zhou

Votes: 50 98.0%
  • Ilia Malinin

Votes: 50 98.0%
  • Jason Brown

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Camden Pulkinen

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Jimmy Ma

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

toddlj

In a post-Olympic cycle there are always some shake-ups. Which currently-assigned US man will decide to skip worlds? Will Nathan and/or Jason retire? Which alternates will end up getting their shot?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Ordinarily I'd have my doubts about the Olympic gold medalist competing at Worlds, but I think Nathan might want to keep his streak going and reach 4.

Vincent got cheated out of his Olympic experience and I think he feels he has something to prove.

Ilia would most likely want any chance he can get to compete against the big boys.

So baring COVID, my guess is the team announced will be the team competing.

caseyedwards

The judges were so clear! They wanted brown to have silver. I know other men have tes in the hundreds but the world title is so close to being possible for brown! Not just a medal but the title. Judges want to give him everything. He was one point away from being the judges choice for gold in Beijing!

Firedancer

Vincent already said he plans to go and assuming he gets his SP minimum Ilia will definitely go. Based on the press conferences they just gave, I feel like it sounds like Jason is done and Nathan said it is TBD and he has to talk to his team. I’m hoping that’s a yes and we get to see him compete at least one more time.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Jason just said in his press conference that he hasn't made a decision about his future, whether to retire or continue. He has indicated previously that he feels like he could continue for another two years, but obviously the fact that he absolutely shone with everything he has at the Olympics is going to leave him needing recalibration for a few weeks.

That said, the wording in his press conference suggested that he wouldn't at all be sad if Nathan, Vincent and Ilia took the Worlds decision well out of his hands.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The question I didn't ask... will the US keep 3 spots? (I love Camden, but I'd be concerned...)
Camden would hypothetically be the 3rd of 3 US men named if it goes down the list that far (can't see Zhou declining and as long as Malinin gets the minimums, he's in as well), so his placement would likely have no factor into whether the 3 spots are retained.

toddlj

Camden would hypothetically be the 3rd of 3 US men named if it goes down the list that far (can't see Zhou declining and as long as Malinin gets the minimums, he's in as well), so his placement would likely have no factor into whether the 3 spots are retained.
Agreed that Zhou in reasonably good form and Ilia making a great debut could finish well.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, Raf thinks Nathan has nothing to gain from going to Worlds again, but I could see him maybe wanting a 4th title. I think some of it is going to depend on how he's feeling in another 12 days or so when he finally gets home from Beijing. The first few weeks after he gets home will be a whirlwind of media and commercial opportunities/meetings. Right now, I lean toward him wanting to go and help lead the US men, especially Ilia, to 3 spots again next season.

livetoskate

True, he popped that flip & his landings could've been better.... but Raf doesn't advise going to Worlds. I'd be interested in knowing whether he has a hip injury too.

Spun Silver

I voted Vincent, Ilia, and Jimmy Ma. :) I think Nathan will be too busy for quite a while. It's time for him to reap the rewards of all these years of training.

BTW, I don't know if anyone commented on the moment between Nathan and Raf in the K&C. Raf was talking, Nathan was just trying to breathe through his mask and nodding occasionally. Raf said (I paraphrase): "It's been a long road. A long hard road. YOU had a long hard road. Together WE had a long hard road." It sounds very terse but for fans who have watched them for years and know how hard they worked to get to this moment, it was very moving. And seemed like about as emotional as Raf ever gets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information