When Nicky and Simon misstep, they misstep.

Judy

Commentators aren’t journalists though. I’m confused at Louis’s comments. During the Olympics I rely on commentators when it’s a sport I have no idea how it’s judged/marked. Duhamel gets paid for her commentary but she it’s more like a short term contract. She doesn’t have a pension or health benefits. Journalists are not the same as commentators bottom line.

Former Lurve Goddess

Commentators aren’t journalists though. I’m confused at Louis’s comments. During the Olympics I rely on commentators when it’s a sport I have no idea how it’s judged/marked. Duhamel gets paid for her commentary but she it’s more like a short term contract. She doesn’t have a pension or health benefits. Journalists are not the same as commentators bottom line.
As a contract commentator, I wonder whether Duhamel is at all bound by the CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices?

Judy

As a contract commentator, I wonder whether Duhamel is at all bound by the CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices?
Hard to say … I’m sure there are some type of rules. I find commentators mainly go on and talk about their sport. I can’t listen to them anymore because I have to stream. You wouldn’t want any commentator going on and attacking someone though. So probably?

barbarafan

Hell to the No for Hamilton and Bezic. Watching the Meddling documentary and subsequently rewatching the 2002 pairs final made it so blatant that these two could not keep their biases in check when there was an emotional result or one that they were disappointed with .

The lack of professionalism during that event was shocking to look back on :yikes:
I like Tracy Wilson

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

It would appear that she is, since this section is clearly stated as applying to "casual and temporary staff as well as interns":
  • In our social media activity, we are mindful of our professional association with CBC.
  • We maintain professional decorum and strive to do nothing that could bring CBC into disrepute.
  • We understand that what we say and do on social media can reflect on ourselves, our colleagues and on CBC as a whole.
  • In particular, the expression of personal opinions on controversial subjects, including politics, can undermine the credibility of CBC journalism and erode the trust of our audience. Therefore, we refrain from expressing such opinions in profiles or posts for any account which identifies or associates us with CBC/Radio-Canada. The question we should ask ourselves: if someone saw the content of this account, could they determine that we work at CBC?
  • We recognize that nothing we express on the Internet can be considered truly private. So we understand that comments on accounts we intend to be exclusively personal and private can damage our personal credibility, and that of CBC as a whole.
  • We consider perceptions created when we share, republish, link, or interact with other people’s content. We strive to avoid having such actions appear to be endorsements. When appropriate and possible, we provide context.
  • We understand that should our social media activity create a perception of bias, it would influence decisions editorial leaders make on who can cover certain stories.

Howver, IMO correcting errors that are being made on the only medium where most Canadians could see Worlds live is not commenting on a "controversial subject" or not showing "professional decorum".

Last edited:

barbarafan

As I already wrote, NBC/Peacock already has access to a commentary-free stream. What do you think Tara & Johnny talk over? During the Olympics, part of the TV coverage was offered as well as the commentary-free stream for some of the same segments. I doubt it is much work at all to set 2 options up.
For casual viewers watching figure skating on TV, commentary might be helpful to understand what’s going on. I think that many fans who pay to stream figure skating don’t need basic explanations spoken during the programs; they understand what they’re seeing & they’d rather hear the music. They know to check the tech box, if they want more info. Give us both options & see which is used more.
I don’t know if Ted was instructed to talk throughout or he decided that he needed to match the style of other commentators. It was also ridiculous & annoying that he would repeat what skaters & coaches said in the K&C, which we could hear in the original. I hope he returns to only talking during the replays if he commentates for Junior Worlds.
Wasn't he a last minute fill in for the 2 morons. He was prob. told how they wanted it commentaried. When he does the ISU stuff it is his streaming team etc and that is what his package is. He only comments on the replays and says positive things before and after each skate.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Duhamel is not the most popular person in the skating community. She is not someone I'd want to spend any time with. However, these guys calling her a b-word is just gross.
To be honest, I appreciate people like Duhamel more than others. She doesn't play games and is bluntly honest, unlike certain skaters.

Vagabond

To be honest, I appreciate people like Duhamel more than others. She doesn't play games and is bluntly honest, unlike certain skaters.
Davka. I would much prefer Sunshine Niko making me appreciate even the skaters who don't make the Free Skating.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Considering that the CBC made a protest to the ISU about how she was treated tells me you are reaching to find something.
I'm not sure what you mean. @Former Lurve Goddess asked about the CBC code of journalistic conduct, and I looked at the part about "use of social media". I don't think Duhamel violated it, and I'm not trying to find reasons why she might have.

jenny12

Scott Moir and Tanith would be a dream team

I do thing that there is a requirement for the commentators to speak during the programs so that it doesn’t qualify as a music presentation

Agreed. I like Scott Moir’s commentary. He’s clear and well-spoken with a hint of Scott sass.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

I do thing that there is a requirement for the commentators to speak during the programs so that it doesn’t qualify as a music presentation

I loved V&M, and Scott's next career steps, but.... I don't think commentary is it. He's not especially engaging as a commentator, and while we solid skating fans enjoy staid, droning commentary, it's not interesting to new/fairweather fans.

I loved when Scott needled Tessa to explain why P&C's RD was "good for the sport", but that's about as interesting as he was. I was more impressed that Scott pushed Carol "oops, I'm a coach" Lane out of commentating the olympics than I was with his monotone approach. I figure it was too push the IAM agenda, which I agree with, and he used Tessa to do it.

Scott and Tanith? Which ice dance teams would not be coached by their academies?

I am that a-hole who would rather both "pick a lane" rather than use their commentary seat to push their own teams. But I admit from a chaos perspective.... This could be great v

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I loved V&M, and Scott's next career steps, but.... I don't think commentary is it. He's not especially engaging as a commentator, and while we solid skating fans enjoy staid, droning commentary, it's not interesting to new/fairweather fans.

I loved when Scott needled Tessa to explain why P&C's RD was "good for the sport", but that's about as interesting as he was. I was more impressed that Scott pushed Carol "oops, I'm a coach" Lane out of commentating the olympics than I was with his monotone approach. I figure it was too push the IAM agenda, which I agree with, and he used Tessa to do it.

I am that a-hole who would rather both "pick a lane" rather than use their commentary seat to push their own teams. But I admit from a chaos perspective.... This could be great v
Skating is such a tight-knit sport.

I remember one year at the World Pro how Sandra Bezic had to critique a program for Kristi Yamaguchi she herself choreographed. That was too awkward and weird to watch, even for me.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

I would rather have commentary that enhances what we're watching, rather than just non-stop chit chatting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information