When Nicky and Simon misstep, they misstep.

jenny12

Seeing Peggy called a d-bag might be my favourite FSU moment of all time. My inner 16-year-old is living for it. 🤣

😂😂 That cracked me up. Though it did make me think back to the 1988 woman’s long where Peggy said of a skater: “After skating, she wants to be a model.” And then in her BEST mean girl, sarcastic voice said, “She’s cute” 😂😭

upnights

Do you believe in unicorns? Why in the world would Peacock offer a comment-free option? I would think that would be twice the work. And add an unwanted cost to their production. Of the percentage of people who watch figure skating, how many people do you think would like the comment-free version? I assume that the majority of skating fans who watch figure skating are not knowledgeable enough to know what elements are being performed. As to watching the counter in the upper corner. I find that I am so busy watching the scores that I miss a good deal of the skating. Although, I must say that I am always happy with myself when I can distinguish a flip from a lutz.

I really like Ted Barton. I wondered why he was doing so much talking at Worlds. It was pretty weird. I love his critique AFTER the skating - and during the replays. I sure hope TPTB will recognize the value of his approach.

BTW - Some of the commentaries by Tara and Johnny are great. When they explain how the toepick did not dig in, which caused all manner of things. Or she/they got such fine lift on that jump because. ...
As I already wrote, NBC/Peacock already has access to a commentary-free stream. What do you think Tara & Johnny talk over? During the Olympics, part of the TV coverage was offered as well as the commentary-free stream for some of the same segments. I doubt it is much work at all to set 2 options up.
For casual viewers watching figure skating on TV, commentary might be helpful to understand what’s going on. I think that many fans who pay to stream figure skating don’t need basic explanations spoken during the programs; they understand what they’re seeing & they’d rather hear the music. They know to check the tech box, if they want more info. Give us both options & see which is used more.
I don’t know if Ted was instructed to talk throughout or he decided that he needed to match the style of other commentators. It was also ridiculous & annoying that he would repeat what skaters & coaches said in the K&C, which we could hear in the original. I hope he returns to only talking during the replays if he commentates for Junior Worlds.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Speaking of both Toller and Tracy…in her first year of doing commentary, I remember Toller calling her out on air for being too diplomatic - along the lines of “Tracy, you need to tell us what you really think!”

Toller’s OTT comments were legendary - e.g. when the crowd went crazy after Christopher Bowman’s 1990 Worlds gala program - “I only wish we could have seen this in the competition, because if we had, the ceiling would have caved in and killed everybody….I guess his only problem is that he doesn’t have an ego”. :rofl:

Here is Christopher's skate, for anyone who was wondering.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Why in the world would Peacock offer a comment-free option?
Are people forgetting that most of the year they have shown the skating commentary-free? Obviously, a commentary-free feed exists. I don't know why they sometimes have commentary. It confuses the brand IMO. Commentary-free on Peacock, commentary and editing on cable/network channels makes more sense.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Eurosport offer a commentary free stream, as well as the ad-free stream with commentators, and the tv broadcast. Considering how little they seem to value skating as part of their overall offer, I doubt it adds much at all to their costs, as there is no way they are doing it just to keep hardcore fans happy!

SLIVER

I'm reminded of the time I sat through 46 compulsory dances at the 1994 World Junior Championships in Colorado Springs.
I did 60 of them at Worlds in 1995 but that wasn't the problem. I made the amateur mistake of watching the practice before too! Full of enthusiasm I was at practice, by the time the real event came around, I genuinely wanted to blow my brains out. Hey at least it wasn't the Yankee Polka!

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I did 60 of them at Worlds in 1995 but that wasn't the problem. I made the amateur mistake of watching the practice before too! Full with enthusiasm I was at practice, by the time the real event came around, I genuinely wanted to blow my brains out. Hey at least it wasn't the Yankee Polka!
You win!

Try watching 25 juvenile women skate to 'Let It Go' from Frozen one after the other. I was reaching for my safety bottle of Jack Daniels after that.

screech

I’d rather do 90 compulsories over 25 juvenile women 😂
When I started out as a judge way back in the 90s (which I hated and didn't stick with long), it kind of confused me that we start with the wee little ones, where it can be nigh impossible to figure out which element they're doing and how to accurately score. To me (and some other newbies) it would have made more sense to start judges out at a higher level where you can hone your skills where you can actually see what's being done.
Even the seasoned judges sometimes turned to each other to ask 'was that a flip or a salchow?' when judging the we little ones.

All this to say, I'd prefer ANYTHING to sitting though a large group of pre-preliminary skaters. And this was BEFORE the horrible Let It Go

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Before proliferation of online news and social media, sitting through endless competitions meant more. We were starved.

I used to devour Sandra Loosemore's event recaps like they were the Bible. I recently checked and it appears she's taken most of them down. Oh well... another era.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Before proliferation of online news and social media, sitting through endless competitions meant more. We were starved.

I used to devour Sandra Loosemore's event recaps like they were the Bible. I recently checked and it appears she's taken most of them down. Oh well... another era.
I always found her event recaps opinionated, serious, yet fair. She was never mean, but didn't suffer fools gladly, either.

flowerpower

Here is Christopher's skate, for anyone who was wondering.

Tracy (to Toller): “But what do you think about the outfit?”
Toller: “Well I’m glad he’s wearing it, and not me! And certainly not Ted Reynolds!” (Ted was the older, heavyset “pro” announcer who was working with them at the time.)

Great memories! Thanks for posting. It made me happy to watch Christopher again. Such a talent. RIP, Chris.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
When I started out as a judge way back in the 90s (which I hated and didn't stick with long), it kind of confused me that we start with the wee little ones, where it can be nigh impossible to figure out which element they're doing and how to accurately score. To me (and some other newbies) it would have made more sense to start judges out at a higher level where you can hone your skills where you can actually see what's being done.
Even the seasoned judges sometimes turned to each other to ask 'was that a flip or a salchow?' when judging the we little ones.

All this to say, I'd prefer ANYTHING to sitting though a large group of pre-preliminary skaters. And this was BEFORE the horrible Let It Go
I find it interesting that a skater can do something that looks like either a loop, flip or lutz. That is some achievement.

Frozen has got a lot to answer to for.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Frozen was bad/overused, but then I was around during the time of Mulan and High School Musical 🥺

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
As a former ISI judge, I used to groan inwardly every time I saw either a skater in a raggedy costume and a mop (It’s a Hard Knock Life) or a toy dressing table and skater in a pink gown (Popular) come out for a showcase type number. 😵‍💫😵‍💫🤮🤮

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
My eye-twitch inducing music is that stupid theme from the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland movies. Can't stand it, and it's so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information