What is the stupid recurring argument that you & your spouse keep having?

clairecloutier

Someone started a Twitter thread on this topic & the responses are pretty funny.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Right now, ours are two.

He leaves the powder room door open when not in use because it "get cold in the bathroom without it being open". I'm like close it, it's not like it's that cold.

I like decorative pillows on the bed. He flings them off.

My husband thinks the bed needs to be made everyday. I think making the bed when we put fresh bedding on or when we have enough company it’s likely someone will have to use the en-suite :shuffle:

I also let my gas tank get down to empty before filling up. He fills up at half. That drives him bonkers. But he’s also a mechanic by trade so all things vehicle he’s particularly attuned to.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I'll start. My spouse continues to throw away MY food that I cooked because I left it there on the counter. I'd plan to go back and heat up the rest, and it's in the trash! GRRR. Or if I cook a meal and leave a mess that I planned to clean up after I finished enjoying my meal and relaxing afterwards and he bitches how messy I am and throws out the rest of the food that was on the counter. This just happened today, as a matter of fact. I was making beef stew in the crockpot and filled it up, but I left the vegies on the counter to put in once the stew starts shrinking. The rest of the mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower that I planned to put in after an hour or so is in the trash! I swear at least 25% of our groceries unnecessarily goes in the trash (sometimes more if I'm being pissy and retaliate by throwing ALL his food out including the ice cream and LeanCusinies... lol) It's stupid, but not a big deal.

Last edited:

oleada

The sink/dishwasher is the root of so many arguments in my house :lol: Husband will leave the dishes in the sink and not put them in the dishwasher which I can’t stand. There’s some sort of trap in the sink to prevent stuff from falling in the disposal, but I hate it because it collects food/crumbs which disgusting me, so I always take it off and that drives him nuts.

hanca

Values her privacy
My husband struggles to put his dirty mugs or plates into the dishwasher. Similarly, his used clothes don’t seem to be able to walk into the laundry basket themselves and my husband doesn’t think of putting them there himself. I believe doing it for him would get him into the habit that people don’t mind picking up stuff after him, so all I do is to remind him that it needs to be done. Once I went as far as drawing arrows on sticky papers and stuck those arrows about half a metre apart, to show his clothes the way to the laundry basket. He gets annoyed when I remind him, but doesn’t think of doing it without being reminded. Then he tells me that I keep nagging, and I respond that I am trying to domesticate him - something his mother should have done years ago.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Leaving food on the counter is an issue with us. I am a grazer and like some of my food at room temperature. So I'll leave the pot/pan with dinner in it out for awhile, then have some more.

I finally did manage to convince him that cheese is meant to be served at room temperature. And I left a butter out overnight to let it soften, for a baking dish. He ate the baking.

ETA: Another thing has been using housekeepers in hotels. I like have someone come in and empty the trash, freshen up the room, and make the bed. Mr. Japanfan prefers for the housekeeper not to come in, and I've never understood why TBH. But I'd say have one on this one.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
The first 20 years of our marriage we fought about the thermostat. He likes it much lower than me and I freeze.

Replacing new shingles on the roof fixed most of that issue as our house is much warmer now.

We don’t fight about much now although political elections can get us going.

We don’t always agree on who is best to lead our country.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Funny thing is I know Rabia personally and she’s happily married. :D

But the thread is hilarious. I almost died when someone posted a photo of the exact same IKEA chair we bought for DH to throw his clothes on!

flyingsit

We both work from home and my husband leaves his breakfast and lunch dishes in the sink all day. The sink is right next to the dishwasher, I don’t understand why he can’t talk the extra minute to put them in.

TygerLily

One of us believes that dishes labelled as "top rack only" should only go on the dishwasher's top rack. The other one wrong. :mad: ;)

On the other hand, FSU recently taught me that loading the dishwasher as efficiently as it obviously should be might prevent optimal water circulation, so I can be wrong, too.

Susan1

First off let me say I'm divorced, so.......................Yeah, ex got mad at me because I did not pick up HIS socks on the other side of the bed for a week. I even vacuumed around them. Not my socks.

And when I complained about him and his kids leaving their wet towels on the bathroom floor, he said what's so hard about picking them up; I pick up your towels. I said no you don't. I hang mine up on the rack to not get all moldy in the laundry hamper. He said I thought those were just up there for show.

Did I mention I'm divorced.

oleada

We both work from home and my husband leaves his breakfast and lunch dishes in the sink all day. The sink is right next to the dishwasher, I don’t understand why he can’t talk the extra minute to put them in.
I completely get your pain. :lol:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Wet counters. I can't deal with wet counters in the kitchen, but hubby splashes all over the place. When we cook together (which we quite enjoy) I often find myself chasing after him to wipe the counters as he goes, often to the point where I keep a paper towel in my hand and reach around him while he's trying to wash his hands :lol:

Conversely, hubby can't deal with wet bathroom counters, whereas I splash away with reckless abandon :rollin:Hubby's solution was to take a bath towel and wipe the counters, in the process ruining many very nice towels. So ....

But the thread is hilarious. I almost died when someone posted a photo of the exact same IKEA chair we bought for DH to throw his clothes on!

He has his own towel rack and his own pile of small towels just for wiping the counters. And they are all permanently stained, proving my point, but there you go, welcome to the world of a long and very happy marriage :)

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Dishes rinsed and on the counter with water underneath drives me crazy. But I've learned it's not worth the fuss cuz it won't change.

He does his own laundry and it's on him to deal with dirty clothes in his closet (when we moved we got his/her closets). I'm the one likely to leave jeans on the floor since I wear them more than one day.

Now that we moved/downsized the clutter is gone we rarely argue about household chores

puglover

Retirement can bring up several new issues. My husband is semi-retired now and he alphabetized my spices (I preferred my method of keeping the ones most often used at the front), and in general he finds my ways inefficient and he has many suggestions for me. I might add, he is a dentist, and for his entire professional life he has had an assistant or two at his elbow fulfilling his every whim. I am struggling to help him realize that he is doing his thing - and I am doing mine. Not that we can't help each other but it is not a moment on moment expectation.

oleada

Retirement can bring up several new issues. My husband is semi-retired now and he alphabetized my spices (I preferred my method of keeping the ones most often used at the front), and in general he finds my ways inefficient and he has many suggestions for me. I might add, he is a dentist, and for his entire professional life he has had an assistant or two at his elbow fulfilling his every whim. I am struggling to help him realize that he is doing his thing - and I am doing mine. Not that we can't help each other but it is not a moment on moment expectation.
This reminds me that my husband will open the fridge or cabinet and complain it’s organized inefficiently and I tell him to fix it, then (because it’s fine and I know where everything is, and as I do most of the shopping and cooking, he can frankly suck it), which he inevitably never does and then he opens the cabinet two months later and says that same thing.....:rolleyes:

He also has a habit of buying another jar of peanut butter or a box of cereal without throwing away the last one which drives me nuts.

Rob

Beach Bum
1. Turns TV on in living room, and goes to the bedroom, where he turns on the TV, and heads to the family room, where he turns on the TV and leaves the house. There is no point in me reminding him to turn them off. When the TV in the bedroom broke, I refused to replace it thereby reducing number of TVs running 1/2 the day by 1.

2. Washes his dishes and stacks them in one side of the divided sink, does not put them in dishwasher. Never puts them away when dry, just puts more wet ones on top. They stack up until I decide to dry them and put them away or put them in the dishwasher to make a whole load. When we remodeled the kitchen, I bought one unified sink so he could not do that anymore, but he just leaves them clean and wet in the sink. Sigh.

3. Takes something out of fridge/cabinet/drawer/pantry and puts it back in a different place. Rearranges fridge/cabinet/drawer/pantry frequently without any rhyme or reason.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Mr JB and I were married for 55 years. At the beginning we had a bunch of issues that kept surfacing, and were never resolved. We repeated the same points time after time, year after year, with neither one changing their ways.

Eventually, when an issue arose again, I shortened the whole process by saying "Argument #1", or "Argument #2". Nothing changed, but we saved a lot of time and hard feelings that way.

I will say this. Since his death I have learned that I am a messy person at heart. I can leave dishes in the sink overnight, not make the bed, and leave papers strewn around the house without concern. All those years I kept the place tidy to gain his approval. Now I have to force myself to do housework to avoid being cast on "Hoarders"

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I think I would be thrilled if dh and dd could actually put their dishes IN THE SINK. Instead they get piled on the counter and we end up with crap all over the counter and where on earth are you supposed to get any cooking/cooking prep done if there's no counter space?

Dh also has this strange habit of opening cabinets, getting something out, putting it back, and then NEVER CLOSING THE CABINET. As a short person I have run into way too many cabinet doors to allow this awful habit to continue.

just tuned in

All of the above-- throwing out my leftovers, dropping crumbs everywhere, leaving the TV on, never closing cabinets doors, rarely washing his hands, too much air conditioning in the summer -- and the worst, hanging the toilet paper in the wrong direction.

Also, he likes to shop at Costco, EVEN THOUGH WE ARE JUST TWO PEOPLE. The other day he bought 700 packets of Splenda.

hanca

Values her privacy
Also, he likes to shop at Costco, EVEN THOUGH WE ARE JUST TWO PEOPLE. The other day he bought 700 packets of Splenda.
That’s a good way to ensure that you won’t run out. You wouldn’t want to drink your coffee/tea unsweetened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information