Vancouver to host 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships

Japanfan

If you are talking about during the day between breaks, I would take the bus then. The arena is quite close to the bus loop. On campus, there is the Museum and Wreck Beach.

It's quite a vigorous climb up and down to Wreck beach from the road.

jl

UBC? It's an odd location in Vancouver, esp since it's so far away from most hotels and all, and all the major bus lines are about 20+ minutes from major centres (41 to Oakridge, 99 to Commercial, 44 to downtown). However, in the vicinity of UBC are some good places for quick eats (on UBC itself is Master Hung, which is Taiwanese beef noodle soup and decent soup dumplings, and apparently a Vera's which is a local burger chain that's quite popular and has some neat offerings; off of UBC on Broadway there is East is East, Al Basha and Harvest Deli for cheaper items). UBC also has a Rain or Shine Ice Cream now, which is one of the top 3 local ice cream makers (and there's been a lot of those that've randomly opened up in the last 5 years in Vancouver). There's also Blue Chip Cookies which was a favorite place of mine as a student because you got giant cookies that were just fresh from the oven; I liked the dark chocolate with giant white chocolate chunk cookie, because on a cold January day it definitely warmed and perked you up.

I may also suggest that FSUers might want to schedule a fun late night place to grab a meal as a group; in that case I strongly recommend Rajio, nearby on 10th (it's an izakaya-style that specializes in kushi, or grilled meat on Japanese skewers; their sushi and other dishes are also good too and the beer/sake is well-priced). Another good group meeting place is Banana Leaf, because it's a much larger restaurant than most places and serves some nice Malay/Singapore dishes.

If you want a more luxurious dinner, you can also go to Yuji from Japan or La Quercia when they open at 5 and should have enough time to get a good meal and go up to UBC by 7 (as I would guess some events may start then).

If you're thinking of things to do on UBC during the day, you could check whether the Faculty of Music or other clubs are putting on rehearsals. They're free and are at some of the old auditoriums (or sometimes the Chan Centre) during the midday. As well as the Museum of Anthropology and Wreck Beach, there is the UBC Botannical Gardens and the Nitobe Garden (an East Asian-themed garden) for more natural stuff. There is new architecture on UBC since I was a student - for instance, a new Students Union Building which is quite relaxing and the roof is quite nice; for some reason it has an auditorium for students in it in the shape of an egg, so it's definitely intended to be modernist.

There's some nice places for coffee just off UBC too, like Breka (which has good pastries) or Mix, or you can take a view of downtown from Jericho Beach and the like. UBC and Point Grey are sleepy areas overall, but it is where well-heeled people live and so it is quite scenic.

I also saw the posts discussing taxi fares from downtown to UBC. I am with the group that estimates it's $30+. I have taken a taxi from the airport to near UBC when there was no traffic and that was still $50; daytime travel from downtown will likely be cheaper, but prices can climb because there's always pockets of traffic that randomly appear in Vancouver.

Enjoy! Maybe I'll go out and say hi but I completely forgot to buy tickets.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If you are talking about during the day between breaks, I would take the bus then. The arena is quite close to the bus loop. On campus, there is the Museum and Wreck Beach. But take the 99 bus and stop at Granville and walk down to Granville Island.

Or from Granville you can take the bus over the Granville bridge and go to downtown. But UBC is far enough away from downtown that unfortunately you likely won't have time to do much if you want to be there and back during a break.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
This is the info in the link from the email I received today about the championships -- please read before you try to bring any of this to the arena in a place they can find it. For example, you can't bring your own water bottle or bring in a backpack, and you can't bring a camera bag:

https://thunderbirdarena.ubc.ca/guest-information/prohibited-items

General Info
Thunderbird Arena strives to provide a safe and enjoyable entertainment experience for everyone; therefore, for safety and security reasons, patrons and their belongings may be subject to inspection prior to entering the venue. Items that may be considered dangerous by the security services to other ticket holders may be confiscated and or not returned. The following items are not permitted inside the venue:

• Weapons and firearms
  • Knives, razor blades, box cutters, scissors & unsafe personal accessories
  • Alcohol & illegal drugs or illicit substances
  • Backpacks
  • Mid/large size bags (larger than 12" x 12")
  • Banners & signs (including flags & flagpoles)
  • Glass bottles, cans, personal water bottles, coolers & thermoses
  • Cameras, laptops, tablets & recording devices (see camera policy here)
  • Fireworks, explosives & aerosols
  • All outside food & beverage
  • Horns, noise makers, whistles, instruments, & bells
  • Laser pointers
  • Objects that can be used as projectiles (inflatable balls, frisbees, etc)
  • Non-service animals
  • Large umbrellas
  • Tripods, selfie sticks, telescopic or similar devices
  • Spray cans & aerosols, silly string
  • Bicycles, scooters, segways, hoverboards, skateboards & roller blades
  • Drones
  • All other items deemed inappropriate for entry
Here are the relevant camera policies:

Thunderbird Arena

Camera Policy
Failure to comply with the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre camera policy may result in the film/memory stick being confiscated. The following are general rules of camera use and can be overridden based on a specific request from the event or promoter:

• Sporting Events
    Non-flash, still cameras point and shoot cameras may be used to take pictures of sporting events or events where house lights are illuminated during a performance. Any camera with an interchangable lens greater than 75mm, tripod or other photography equipment may not be used or placed in any area of the arena without prior approval.
Skate Canada's Camera Policy

At Skate Canada events, spectators are permitted to use small point and shoot cameras for personal use only. The following guidelines will be enforced:
– No flash photography
– No camera bags in venue
– No use of professional cameras and/or detachable lenses
– Camera cannot interfere with other fans’ enjoyment
– Any resale of photography or posting photos on professional websites is strictly prohibited
– Absolutely no video recording is allowed. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside during that skater’s/team’s practice or performance. If athletes wish to obtain a video of their programs, they may purchase a copy from the licensed video distributor on site if applicable.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff. Additionally, Skate Canada staff reserves the right to restrict use of other types of cameras should they feel the quality and/or type of camera fail to protect the athletes’ and/or event’s interests.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Here's the parking info: $15/day unless you buy it in advance:

Parking

UBC is easily accessed by bus through TransLink. If you are accessing UBC by vehicle, parking is available at Thunderbird Parkade with a flat, daily rate of $15.00. We encourage guests to purchase a parking permit ahead of time for $10.50 per day or $30.00 for January 10-14 - click here to create a UBC Parking Guest Account.

Doors Open:

Session 1 Monday, January 8 6:00 AM
Session 2 Tuesday, January 9 6:30 AM
Session 3 Wednesday, January 10 7:15 AM
Session 4 Thursday, January 11 8:00 AM
Session 5 Thursday, January 11 5:15 PM
Session 6 Friday, January 12 6:15 AM
Session 7 Friday, January 12 1:10 PM
Session 8 Saturday, January 13 5:45 AM
Session 9 Saturday, January 13 12:30 PM
Session 10 Sunday, January 14 10:45 AM

kalamalka

I'm sitting in the arena now, with a whole bunch of things on the prohibited list, that I brought in in my (prohibited) backpack under my (prohibited ) large umbrella. However, today there are no tickets and we came in a side entrance so I had no idea until I read kwanfan1818's post. There are security people at the front door though, and large signs on the inspection table beside them saying no backpacks and no outside food. They did tell me that there are always exceptions, especially if they are medically related, so we will be testing the extent of flexibility tomorrow.

manhn

Are they enforcing the stoopid backpack ban? Or will I have to carry my manpurse?

DFO

With all those stupid rink rules, I'm glad to stay home and watch it on DailyMotion. No laptops, no water bottles, no backpacks!!! I could understand the no food, or the no camera, but I'm sure laptops, water bottles and backpacks are no terrorists weapons. I never knew how dangereous was the Challenge at the Pierrefonds Sportplex!

kalamalka

I didn't end up testing the no backpack rule today (one of us got too chilled yesterday so we've ended up watching the streaming in my hotel instead - will go tomorrow afternoon / evening) . My sense from the discussion with security staff yesterday was that they would likely let me in with it, but only because I'm accompanying a wheelchair user and could claim that I needed the things in it for her.

It occurred to me last night that I've attended competitions on three continents in the last few years, including 2 GPFs in Barcelona and the 4CC Olympic test event last year in Korea, and I've only ever been to one other skating competition (also in Canada, a few years ago) where backpacks were completely banned - and wherever that was you were at least allowed to leave them within the venue.

barbarafan

With all those stupid rink rules, I'm glad to stay home and watch it on DailyMotion. No laptops, no water bottles, no backpacks!!! I could understand the no food, or the no camera, but I'm sure laptops, water bottles and backpacks are no terrorists weapons. I never knew how dangereous was the Challenge at the Pierrefonds Sportplex!

Biggest danger at Challenge is falling down the cement stairs with no rails.

jl22aries

Did anyone park at thunderbird today? I'm thinking of buying the $30 pass but wonder if there might be an issue of the parkade getting full. Would love to hear anyone's experience :)

manhn

I paid 8 dollars as I got there after 5pm. Lots of spaces. But I doubt that will be the case during the day and when the seniors compete. I intend to park in the outer parkades, like the one near the law school. That is what I did when we had Davis Cup. But for the junior and novice competitions, it should be fine.

It has been awhile where I worked and watched live skating. I am tired. I couldn't stay for the entire junior men. The junior dance was pretty good. Great to see some fsuers, hope to see more!

Last edited:

CdnSk8Fan

Did anyone park at thunderbird today? I'm thinking of buying the $30 pass but wonder if there might be an issue of the parkade getting full. Would love to hear anyone's experience :)

If you go to the website, you can purchase advance parking so you are guaranteed your parking spot. https://thunderbirdarena.ubc.ca/transportation/parking has the info and the 3rd Party app that handle's the online purchase for you.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I was assured when I arrived today that it's okay to bring your own water bottle, but it must be empty - and then you can fill it from the fountain in the arena. And backpacks are okay too. Two people right behind me had backpacks and they just looked inside them same as a bag.

chantilly

I did.
With no issues.
However there wasn't many people at the arena.
But there is an alternate parkade that the pass covers.
I'd recommend it.

chantilly

One other thing.

It was implied by one of the women taking tickets at the door, that there may be no in and out privledges on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I certainly hope not. As most of the food there is crap.

I honestly don't see how they can legally trap people in the arena for 8-12 hours.

I can see it per event, but not all day.

Anyway just wanted to put it out there.

jl22aries

Oh man that would be really intense, to be stuck in. I suppose at least the day is split into two ticketed events. So at least there would be one opportunity to smell some nature.

Thanks everyone for chiming in around the parking. And Allison huge thanks for the heads up around the empty water bottles. I was really taken aback at the thought of not being able to bring one.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I hope everyone has a blast! I'd considered going to Vancouver over San Jose but the distance from the arena to central Vancouver is what got me. One day I will visit lovely Canada..

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Cross posted from the Kiss&Cry thread for those that don't have access:

FSU meet up

I have made a booking for Friday night at 8 for 10 people at Mahony and Sons Irish Pub
http://mahonyandsons.com
Booking for 10 is a guess and I told them that I'd keep them up to date with numbers as people express interest here.
@kalamalka the pub, and the table will be accessible. Will you be ok to get Rosaleen from the arena to the pub? It's a 10 minute walk.

So far we have:
@Japanfan and Mr Japanfan
@manhn
@The Accordion
@kalamalka and Rosaleen
and me :)

Are you coming?: @PeterG, @kwanfan1818, @cygnus, @jl22aries, @victorskid, @made_in_canada, @Snowflake3939 (and your friend), @overedge, anyone else?

Please rsvp here asap so I can let the pub know how many. Thanks.

We will probably do something similar on Saturday night too - but maybe at biercraft which is also walkable from the arena but in the opposite direction.
http://biercraft.com/wesbrook-at-ubc/

Last edited:

PeterG

Are they enforcing the stoopid backpack ban? Or will I have to carry my manpurse?

I wear my fannypack with pride. Do you. :D

I bought the 30 dollar permit today and if I show up any day and am told to pay elsewhere I will be peeved!!

What's the name of the parkade? There are five, and none are for the arena itself.

The parade is so close to the arena that if you walk too quickly after leaving the arena you will smack right into it. :p

Are you coming?/

Yes please! :40beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information