Vancouver to host 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships

WanderlustTO

Victoria's winter is less rainy than Vancouver's, so if it looks like you'll have a dry day, go for it. I remember ditching my coat for a couple of days at Nationals in Victoria in 2011. (The locals all had coats, but I was fine in a sweater.) Not sure if that's typical or not. Day tripping to Victoria is difficult without a car, but since you mentioned Whistler, I assume you are renting one. My husband and I are making the trip, but after Nationals is over. I don't think we will spend the money on Butchart Gardens in January, but there's a nice museum in downtown Victoria, tea at the Empress, walking around the Inner Harbor, pretty coastal drives...I think there's enough to do for a day, especially if you haven't been before.

Seattle might be the same-ish amount of travel time as Victoria, but a less relaxing trip, since traffic vs ferry. And rainier. I've done day trips there in January/February because I flew into Seattle and drove up to Vancouver for nationals/4 Continents/Olympics. The first time, the weather was nice, and we walked around by the market, but I didn't really get the best of Seattle until a few years later, when I finally got to visit in summer.
we're not renting a car - we were just looking at day trips from various 'day trip' companies. Seattle, I think we'll just avoid. I love the city and haven't been there for a while - but there's nothing so exciting about it that we need to do a day trip there. We're not excited about doing a 'border crossing'. I think we'll just spend our time in Van and do a day trip up to whistler and leave it at that.

barbarafan

Thanks for the tip. Does anyone else has recommendations for up-coming talent to watch? I was planning on going to some part of the novice events but wasn't sure which ones.
Novice pairs sounds good. If you are watching them keep an eye out for Marine Pouliot/Alexandre S. They have only been together since Spring but their performance and lines are really beautiful & they are really well trained. She is just up from Juvenile pairs so the sbs jumps are just so so but other elements are very clean..

Reactions: DFO

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
For a day trip to Victoria I suggest a float plane flight. Harbour Air flies downtown to downtown. Check their website for seat sales.
You can literally walk from the seaplane terminal in Victoria to the Empress and the waterfront walkway.
The flight takes less than 30 minutes as opposed to about 4 hours for the ferry. They only fly in daylight so you have to return about 5 pm.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
But Victoria is so worth it! I stop in at the Beehive Wool Shop whenever I visit, and there's a big La Taqueria on Fort Street.
https://www.beehivewoolshop.com/

If there are any knitters coming to Vancouver, my favorite yarn stores are:

Baaad Anna's, on Hastings between Penticton and Slocan on the north side of the street. (Take the #14 or #16 bus). (If this were only happening at PNE; the store is a 10-minute walk from the PNE arena.)

Here's a link to their online store to get a sense of what they have:
http://www.baaadannas.store/

Three Bags Full on Main Street, between 28th and 29th on the east side of the street. (Take the #3 or #25 bus). They reopen on Monday, 8 January after a holiday break. Within a few blocks are the Main Street branch of East is East (aka Chai Lounge at dinner time), which has fantastic fusion silk road food. There's also Dream Sushi on 28th and Main (yummmmmm), Locus on Main just north of King Edward (~25th), where Vancouver FSUers have held local gatherings, and the food is terrific, Sawasdee Thai Restaurant, on Main just north of 27th, etc. etc.
https://threebagsfull.ca/

Wet Coast Wools on West 4th, between Macdonald and Bayswater on the north side of the street. (Take the #4 or #7 bus along 4th, or you can take the 99 bus to Broadway and Macdonald and walk five blocks north to West 4th Street - a ten-block round-trip detour to Thunderbird arena.) Their selection isn't the biggest of the four, but they always have some wonderful Canadian wools in stock. Plus there's the Kitsilano branch of East is East about five blocks away, and about another four blocks from the Alma stop of the 99 bus on the way to the arena.
https://wetcoastwools.com/

Urban Yarns on West 10th, between Trimble and Sasamat. (Take the 99 bus.) This is at a stop on the 99 bus on the way to the arena. It's also in a little neighborhood of shops and restaurants, if you want to grab lunch on the way, especially if you're craving sushi. The last time I was there, there were three sushi restaurants within two blocks. They also have a branch on Lonsdale in North Vancouver, in case you take the Seabus over one afternoon to explore.
http://www.urbanyarns.com/

Last edited:

PeterG

For the locals, wondering who is planning on driving or taking transit. I believe a friend is going to let me stay at his place near Metrotown. Has anyone looked into how much parking costs? There's a #43 bus from the Joyce skytrain station that runs regularly which would be a lot less of a stress-free option (and cheaper).

Also, I see that the schedule lists practise sessions for Sunday, January 8th. But my first ticket is for Monday the 9th. Are the Sunday practises no-access sessions for the public?

chantilly

^
I believe when I looked at parking before it was 10$ a day.
Not 100% sure but also think there's an express bus that leaves from Metrotown to UBC.
The #49 I think.
Translink BC is great for helping with buses.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
http://www.transitdb.ca/route/049/

It's about an hour, and leaving from Metrotown, you should get a seat, and it's scheduled for 56 mins end-to-end. You have to be sure you get one that goes to UBC; Granville is the other possibility.

Getting back, weekdays might not work, but there's always the 99 to Commercial Braodway.

Japanfan

I believe when I looked at parking before it was 10$ a day.

That should be right. I go to UBC often and usually pay $8.00 for the more than two hours option. IIRC that would be the second to last item on the menu, the last presumably being the full day charge.

I'm definitely going to drive. Ten bucks a day isn't much in the light of the ticket cost, and I expect the bus to be particularly time consuming. The bus loop out at UBC is chaotic - I once had the misfortune of driving into it rather than taking my usual left turn. It was scary! A traffic worker had to walk out on the street and halt the buses from moving to get me back in the right road position.

I think the logistics of the bus system will be a real challenge during the event, and would expect long waits.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't see why the bus system would be more of a challenge than it it/was after hockey games, during the Paralympics for sledge hockey, for concerts at the Chan Centre, for thousands of students commuting to morning classes, etc.

The Accordion

I'd be happy to split gas/ parking costs if anyone is driving anywhere to and from anywhere near Downtown. I will be staying at the Y right by BC place. Even if anyone could get me just part of the way - since Japanfan has pointed out how difficult it would be to get out of UBC on a bus!

I will likely only be there for Friday and Saturday.

We'll be driving. I'm not up to transit with a baby when we're pushing bedtime at the end of the day :yikes: We're staying downtown at the Holiday Inn on Broadway.

kalamalka

I'd be happy to split gas/ parking costs if anyone is driving anywhere to and from anywhere near Downtown. I will be staying at the Y right by BC place. Even if anyone could get me just part of the way - since Japanfan has pointed out how difficult it would be to get out of UBC on a bus! I will likely only be there for Friday and Saturday.

nlloyd

That should be right. I go to UBC often and usually pay $8.00 for the more than two hours option. IIRC that would be the second to last item on the menu, the last presumably being the full day charge.

I'm definitely going to drive. Ten bucks a day isn't much in the light of the ticket cost, and I expect the bus to be particularly time consuming. The bus loop out at UBC is chaotic - I once had the misfortune of driving into it rather than taking my usual left turn. It was scary! A traffic worker had to walk out on the street and halt the buses from moving to get me back in the right road position.

I think the logistics of the bus system will be a real challenge during the event, and would expect long waits.

My experience is that parking is more expensive than this: closer to $16 a day on weekdays, but perhaps you are thinking of weekends or evenings? Here is a useful map of parking lots and costs: https://parking.ubc.ca/map.

ETA: And here is a zoomable map of the campus.

Last edited:

Japanfan

We have room for up to three in our car. We can offer a ride to anywhere on 12th Avenue after the competition (live near Renfrew Station), PM me if you'd like one. Won't offer a ride for the mornings as we'll be rushing I expect and will probably elect to miss the first flights.

ElizabethAnne

I called customer service for Vancouver Transit and got some info that may be of interest. If you pay when you get on the bus ($2.85) you will get a "Compass Ticket" good for that ride and transfer to another bus for a 90 minute time period.

If you don't want to fuss with having correct change you can buy a compass ticket at a machine in advance but it will be time stamped to use that day. Alternatively you can go to the counter at various retailers (there is a list of London Drugs) and buy a number of compass tickets that are not date stamped. I believe she said they are good for 30 days. In addition, this option allows you to buy the tickets at the Concession rate if you are over 65 years ($1.80) as long as you have appropriate ID.

Another option was to buy a "Compass Card" ($6.00 refundable) load it with various options. The concession rate is available and for the younger ones, you get a cheaper per ride ($2.20). To get the refund you have to return the card at one of 2 locations or there is a form you can get on line for a mail in refund.

Hopefully I have remembered this correctly.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Broadway isn't the West End, but Vancouver has several downtowns -- downtown East Side, downtown near City Hall, ie two blocks from the Holiday Inn on Broadway, South Granville.

dramagrrl

How easy/fast will it be to get cabs at the arena? I known there is accessible transit, but I want to try to maximize the little free time I may have (if I decide to skip some of the early flights, etc.) to actually do a few non-skating things in the city!

(I noticed there is no Uber in Vancouver yet. Grrrr.)

chantilly

^ cabs should be pretty accessible, but a cab from UBC to downtown would be insanely expensive I think.
I'm guessing around $35-40.
A cab would be faster then a bus for sure, but probably only by 16-20 minutes

Also people might already not know that express buses are peak hours only.

From early morning to about 8:30/9 am and then nothing until 3:00 in the afternoon until about 6:30 in the evening.

Japanfan

^ cabs should be pretty accessible, but a cab from UBC to downtown would be insanely expensive I think.
I'm guessing around $35-40.

I don't know how accessible they will be actually. A large student population does live in residences on campus, but the residential area is quite compact.

Maybe some students take cabs home to the residences or elsewhere after class or a night in the library, but the campus is quite quiet at night. It's not an area where it would be lucrative for cab drivers to hang around waiting to be flagged by random fares.

I would think the fare would be $40, at least.

dramagrrl

I would think the fare would be $40, at least.
For a 20 minute ride?? I’m not exactly sure what would be counted as “downtown”, but Google Maps says a car ride from my hotel to the arena would be between 17-21 minutes. A cab ride that long in Toronto would probably cost around $20 and Uber would be even cheaper.

chantilly

All I can tell you is that a cab from my house to my job once cost me $35. It was about a 25 minute ride and at 3 am in the morning. And that was 5 or 6 years ago. Traffic is almost always an issue in Vancouver.

After reading Japanfan's post, I think I agree that cabs may be hard to find. You'd have to call likely and not be able to hail one.

Downtown in Vancouver is over the bridges, i.e. Granville and Burrard for a rough guide.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The West End is over bridges. Broadway/City Hall and South Granville areas are not. If you're in the Downtown Eastside, you can avoid bridges altogether.

I'm in Vancouver now, and I'm seeing lots of posters for the Chinese Lantern Festival at PNE, which runs through January 21.
http://vancouverlanternfestival.ca

Groupon has a deal for admission for two for the period starting Sunday, Jan 7. They are also running sales through Dec 31 for further discounts, but I missed that message on my phone.

Last edited:

Japanfan

For a 20 minute ride?? I’m not exactly sure what would be counted as “downtown”, but Google Maps says a car ride from my hotel to the arena would be between 17-21 minutes. A cab ride that long in Toronto would probably cost around $20 and Uber would be even cheaper.

It would take more than 20 minutes. Driving the road through the endowment lands that takes you from UBC campus into the city takes about 15 minutes alone - maybe 10 for drivers who go faster than me.

It takes me about 45 minutes to drive from the east side of Vancouver (near to Burnaby) to UBC campus, 40 minutes if traffic is light. Going into downtown would take 15 minutes off of that, at most. That would be my guess, in any case.

But it would be worth it if you want the convenience of a cab. I'd be more concerned as to whether it would be easy to get a cab. I have no idea whether cab drivers would be aware of the event and linger around campus because of it. Maybe, but I doubt it.

manhn

It is really Tuesday and Wednesday where the day ends late. The rest of the week, not so much. I figure you can call a cab at the arena or the Student Centre. To wait out the crowds, have dinner at some nearby resto or pub. Don't worry, you will be fine. There is quite a bit to do on campus.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'd be more concerned as to whether it would be easy to get a cab. I have no idea whether cab drivers would be aware of the event and linger around campus because of it. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Vancouver cab drivers seem pretty clueless as to when big events are on, if the events not hockey games or concerts downtown. They also tend to hang around downtown where there's lots of places to get easy trips (e.g. hotels, convention centre, train/bus station).

I'd recommending seeing if you can book a cab pickup at UBC in advance. You run the risk of maybe missing the end of an event if it runs late - the cab generally won't wait if you're not there - but if the event is televised it's probably going to be kept on schedule.

dramagrrl

I was thinking less of getting back to my hotel after events and more of trying to maximize time and go back and forth from the arena to places closer to downtown in some of the gaps that would exist if I were to skip some of the early flights in various disciplines. I am really only going to be in Vancouver for two days and a bit, so I was hoping to squeeze in some non-skating things if possible... but it looks like it won't be as do-able as I'd thought given what people are saying about cost and rarity of cabs and lack of Uber in Vancouver. When I was in the city for the 2010 Olympics, I had much more luxury of time and also location - I was staying in a relative's empty apartment (since they lived overseas for the winters) that was right on Granville Street in the middle of everything, and since I only had tickets to the ice dance events, I had tons of time to explore other things in the city. In 2001, when I was there for Worlds, I had relatives with cars who were able to drive me around from the suburbs to the city and wherever else I wanted to go.

Japanfan

I was thinking less of getting back to my hotel after events and more of trying to maximize time and go back and forth from the arena to places closer to downtown in some of the gaps that would exist if I were to skip some of the early flights in various disciplines.

The Museum of Anthropology is on UBC campus and worth a visit. http://moa.ubc.ca/

manhn

If you are talking about during the day between breaks, I would take the bus then. The arena is quite close to the bus loop. On campus, there is the Museum and Wreck Beach. But take the 99 bus and stop at Granville and walk down to Granville Island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information