USFS ISP Points Challenge- Sep and Oct 2020

maureenfarone

Maybe it's just the crappy video but I can't really get into Jason's long program at all. I really dislike the music so that probably doesn't help. Why are they giving Jason old outdated music anyway? I don't feel like David Wilson knows how to pick good music for Jason. Someone else needs to be picking the music. I just don't like the David Wilson/Jason combination. I wish they would try someone else if they want something different from Rohene.

I like the concept of the short but, again, I'm probably having video issues over it. I'll probably love it when I can actually get a good view of it.

And how hard is it to throw in a screen shot simply showing who the skater is and possibly their music?
I know what you mean about the Jason video. I felt like I was watching from across a street peering into the rink. Somehow I thought the Cricket Club could do a better job, but I guess not. I was ok with the music and the SP seemed ok.

annie720

I know what you mean about the Jason video. I felt like I was watching from across a street peering into the rink. Somehow I thought the Cricket Club could do a better job, but I guess not. I was ok with the music and the SP seemed ok.
But someone did a decent job filming his Peggy Fleming Trophy video, so that's a puzzler.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Uh...for all you Canadian's claiming Slaughter as your own, the USA's very own Tonia Kwiatkowski used it as her LP music for seemingly ages in the 1990s. She's the first person I think of when I hear that music.

Whoops, I forgot about her. And Ina & Dungjen.

I feel like somewhere along the line I saw a World Pros program to that, but I have forgotten who it was. (Ok... thank you Google, it was Tai and Randy at 1985 World Pros... program is here, starting at 11:07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPfWxB5zOw ). Huh, I was actually there in the audience, you'd think my memory would be better.

annie720

Whoops, I forgot about her. And Ina & Dungjen.

I feel like somewhere along the line I saw a World Pros program to that, but I have forgotten who it was. (Ok... thank you Google, it was Tai and Randy at 1985 World Pros... program is here, starting at 11:07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPfWxB5zOw ). Huh, I was actually there in the audience, you'd think my memory would be better.
You don't have to ask me twice to watch a T & R program! BTW I was there, too. :)

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Uh...for all you Canadian's claiming Slaughter as your own, the USA's very own Tonia Kwiatkowski used it as her LP music for seemingly ages in the 1990s. She's the first person I think of when I hear that music.

Justice 4 Tonia! :mitchell:

I always think of Flatt's version first, and Evelyn Grossman won 1990 Euros with it, landing a couple triples and about a half dozen single axels/waxels.

It is dated music, very 80s/early 90s, but it's still good music--and I think Jason can do it justice.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Figure Skating Turns to Virtual Competition as a Covid-19 Fallback

U.S. skaters are competing head-to-head by recording their performances and sending them to a remote judging panel

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

I kept wondering if some of the people filming were aware of zoom buttons on their cameras.

One of the best-filmed was Mariah Bell. Good distance, lighting.

Last edited:

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Miss Bell's ABBA program is something I would expect to see for a random European girl with a gaudy costume and unkempt hair,placing 20th at the Europeans. It is most definitely not worthy of the United States' best lady skater. Very disappointing and perplexing.

Jason and Nathan,on the other hand,look exquisite. We are blessed to have them represent America.

-BB

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Miss Bell's ABBA program is something I would expect to see for a random European girl with a gaudy costume and unkempt hair,placing 20th at the Europeans. It is most definitely not worthy of the United States' best lady skater. Very disappointing and perplexing.

Jason and Nathan,on the other hand,look exquisite. We are blessed to have them represent America.

-BB

Maybe Mariah selected ABBA because the next Worlds will be in Sweden?

Sylvia

TBD
From a recent Fan Zone article on Mariah:
Bell knew she wanted a medley of songs for her free skate and Bourne proposed ABBA. Bell turned it down, then listened to it while on the ice and fell in love. The program includes four of the Swedish pop band's hits:
Order of the songs: "Dancing Queen," "The Winner Takes It All," Mamma Mia," "Thank You for the Music."

I thought Mariah looked really fit and trained for September, landing 6 triples including 2 3Lz & 2 3F. For a first public run through of the season I didn't expect her to perform "full out" like she can. A very promising first step, IMO!

sk9tingfan

I've watched Nathan's free skate at least 5 or 6 times already and think it has the potential to be a masterpiece. I love his phrasing. Are there any protocols available?

skatfan

This seems like it should have been the easiest competition stream possible. Pre-recorded programs, pre-judged scores, assemble them together with a few simple graphics for name and music and then scores after each skater, hype it up on social media and hit the go button! Specify a time and date and have a huge watch party, and upload the videos for re-watching later! Instead it turned into an absolute cluster-flip. Videos going up and down, nobody quite sure when the videos were going up or who was competing, no names attached to the videos so that unless you were a die-hard you didn't know who you were watching except the big names, choppy presentation...

Of course, trust USFS to make a meal of it. They had a captive audience of starving skating fans, knew that two of the biggest names in world skating in Nathan and Jason were debuting brand new programs, and they blew it. How on earth did they blow it?

I totally agree. Talk about a way to discourage fans. I happened to see a Youtube rip of the Men's Free Skate and thought - wow, pretty glad I'm not paying $ to see this - no identification of the skaters, the programs, etc.

BittyBug

Disgusted
All the starting/skate orders are linked from the ISP Points Challenge's Competition Central page: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2020/9/8/isp-points-challenge-competition-central.aspx

ETA: I kept my expectations low for this very low-budget event and was just glad to be able to see quite a few new programs for free.
Gotta agree with @misskarne on this one. How hard would it have been to add skater info at the start of each program? Big miss on USFS’ part that shows once again that they really don’t understand digital.

I wonder if Chen would have picked his SP song / cut if it were in English, with its lyrics at the end about liking to have a few drinks, with fire water (aguardiente) being the favorite but white tequila too. The rest of the of the song is nice but that part of the song is perhaps a bit too mature for a sport in which a segment of the audience is children.

Jason’s flow is spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information