US Figure Skating Television Schedule for 2021-2022

A.H.Black

Men's FS started on NBC at 8 pm ET - first Camden and now Vincent (eta) then Malinin, Kagiyama & Uno.

I guess this is the 2-hour edition of the recap show? Free Dance: Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, Papadakis/Cizeron.

Women's FS will be shown as well (eta): Alysa Liu, Mariah Bell, Loena Hendrickx, Kaori Sakamoto.

And finishing the broadcast with Knierim/Frazier's GOLD. :)
So, since tonight was essentially a recap show, I wonder if NBC will repeat this same show on April 17th - or - might they show the gala.

moebius

So, since tonight was essentially a recap show, I wonder if NBC will repeat this same show on April 17th - or - might they show the gala.
I think they will show the same recap again. They did that with a previous Worlds.

I really miss watching the Russian and Chinese pairs. That pairs competition is pretty much the same as 4 Continents in terms of the skaters participating. That is why K/F is able to get the gold. Pairs competition was a joke. Americans didn't have any competition. Easy, free ticket to the top. I laughed when Terry and Andrea said it's been 4 decades since pairs have won gold. And to add to that, Terry mentioned that since 1967 the Americans have been on the podium for all disciplines. Well, that's because the major competitors were absent. If all of the major competitors were present, that would be a worthy accomplishment. K/F winning gold when the Russians and Chinese are absent is not as satisfying as if they were present. It feels good to win when every one did their best. But the best weren't there, so it's not the same. Maybe Russians and Chinese should be banned from figure skating forever so that the Americans can keep topping the pairs podium and brag how great American pairs teams are (NOT!). K/F didn't make major mistakes, but technically and artistically they are a million years behind the Russians and Chinese. All disciplines except for men's benefitted from the absence of the Russians and Chinese skaters. That being said, happy for Kaori, Loena, and C/B. Always thought C/B were superior to H/D ever since 2019 when H/D tried to be like P/C.

Jammers

I think they will show the same recap again. They did that with a previous Worlds.

I really miss watching the Russian and Chinese pairs. That pairs competition is pretty much the same as 4 Continents in terms of the skaters participating. That is why K/F is able to get the gold. Pairs competition was a joke. Americans didn't have any competition. Easy, free ticket to the top. I laughed when Terry and Andrea said it's been 4 decades since pairs have won gold. And to add to that, Terry mentioned that since 1967 the Americans have been on the podium for all disciplines. Well, that's because the major competitors were absent. If all of the major competitors were present, that would be a worthy accomplishment. K/F winning gold when the Russians and Chinese are absent is not as satisfying as if they were present. It feels good to win when every one did their best. But the best weren't there, so it's not the same. Maybe Russians and Chinese should be banned from figure skating forever so that the Americans can keep topping the pairs podium and brag how great American pairs teams are (NOT!). K/F didn't make major mistakes, but technically and artistically they are a million years behind the Russians and Chinese. All disciplines except for men's benefitted from the absence of the Russians and Chinese skaters. That being said, happy for Kaori, Loena, and C/B. Always thought C/B were superior to H/D ever since 2019 when H/D tried to be like P/C.
Keep complaining i guess the men's event was a joke since Nathan didn't compete so Shoma should just give his world title back since it doesn't mean anything since he didn't beat the best.

moebius

Keep complaining i guess the men's event was a joke since Nathan didn't compete so Shoma should just give his world title back since it doesn't mean anything since he didn't beat the best.
There is a difference between Nathan not being there due to injury and the Russians and Chinese being banned. Nathan not being there is just one athlete who cannot compete due to injury which is a legitimate excuse. Athletes get injured from time to time and they do eventually retire. So that is normal. But having the entire team of Russians and Chinese skaters banned is not normal. It's almost the same as a boycotted championships. All the skaters from two countries which are the powerhouse in pairs skating are absent not because of injury, but because of banned by IFS. That absence is significant for the pairs event and allows other countries who are not powerhouses in pairs skating like the US to take advantage of the situation. Nothing wrong with that, except that is gives the Americans the false illusion that K/F are the best pairs skaters in the world, which in fact they are not. If I remember from some of the commentary during previous Olympics, when they were talking about statistics regarding medals, athletes participation etc. they do mention that the statistics are from non-boycotted games. So that means boycotted games are not as significant as non-boycotted games. Shomo Uno's and Kaori Sakamoto 's performances are both gold medal worthy. If Nathan Chen and the Russian women weren't so far ahead of everyone else, meaning that they could fall and still win, both Shomo and Kaori could legitimately have a chance at the gold at previous championships and the Olympics. The Russian pairs and Chinese aren't as far as ahead in their respective discipline as Nathan and the Russian women, so they are beatable. But the Americans pairs aren't that good and even at their best, they can't beat the Russians and Chinese when they aren't at their best.

mtnskater

There is a difference between Nathan not being there due to injury and the Russians and Chinese being banned. Nathan not being there is just one athlete who cannot compete due to injury which is a legitimate excuse. Athletes get injured from time to time and they do eventually retire. So that is normal. But having the entire team of Russians and Chinese skaters banned is not normal. It's almost the same as a boycotted championships. All the skaters from two countries which are the powerhouse in pairs skating are absent not because of injury, but because of banned by IFS. That absence is significant for the pairs event and allows other countries who are not powerhouses in pairs skating like the US to take advantage of the situation. Nothing wrong with that, except that is gives the Americans the false illusion that K/F are the best pairs skaters in the world, which in fact they are not. If I remember from some of the commentary during previous Olympics, when they were talking about statistics regarding medals, athletes participation etc. they do mention that the statistics are from non-boycotted games. So that means boycotted games are not as significant as non-boycotted games. Shomo Uno's and Kaori Sakamoto 's performances are both gold medal worthy. If Nathan Chen and the Russian women weren't so far ahead of everyone else, meaning that they could fall and still win, both Shomo and Kaori could legitimately have a chance at the gold at previous championships and the Olympics. The Russian pairs and Chinese aren't as far as ahead in their respective discipline as Nathan and the Russian women, so they are beatable. But the Americans pairs aren't that good and even at their best, they can't beat the Russians and Chinese when they aren't at their best.
So what? First, please inform yourself about China and get your facts straight. China was never banned by the ISU and could have fielded a full team at Worlds. It was China who decided not to send any athletes. We were all surprised and perplexed. So China elected not to participate just like Chen.

Surely you know Russia was banned from most international sports because it started an illegal and immoral war against a sovereign nation during the period of Olympic truce/peace. It was Russia’s choice to go down this path and it shouldn’t be surprised at the severe repercussions from the community of nations. Who cares if you consider these Worlds as less significant? Then don’t watch. And by the way, where is your concern for the Ukrainian athletes who were either unable to compete or couldn’t properly train because their country was under unprovoked attack by a fellow ISU member country?

BittyBug

Disgusted

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So far, NO sign of 2022 Junior Worlds coming to Peacock. Just checked, to line-up event icons…but nothing related to Jr Worlds shows up, even though the competition sessions begin this Thursday. Am guessing that US viewers will get to watch on the free-and-open ISU YouTube channel?

Gayo

Do you know how long the coverage will be available on YouTube? I’ve never watched a competition there. Thanks!

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Skate Talker

Do you know how long the coverage will be available on YouTube? I’ve never watched a competition there. Thanks!
If you are asking how long the links remain active/archived the answer is a very long time. There is sometimes a very brief period after the end of the live stream before it show up again for viewing, but usually it happens very quickly. (If the live-stream time isn't convenient I never worry that I won't be able to access it as soon as I am ready to watch.)

love skating

Clueless American
Reminder that the Worlds recap show is on Easter Sunday 3 pm - 6 pm Eastern time on NBC. Since their two hour show earlier was a mini recap (instead of just the Women's Free like it was listed as) I wonder what they will add with another hour... we shall see!

Sylvia

TBD
Oops, I missed the first hour (what was shown?)... tuned in just as Fear/Gibson's FD was ending.

ETA: NBC chacked Smart/Diaz?! Final group of free dances now.

Spiralgraph

^^^ Well that first hour was pre-empted by football in the Providence, R.I market too. And I assume it was pre-empted in most of the country. Darn that new football, I wanted to see the men skate...

Debbie S

Yep, pre-empted here too. :mad:

Watching my DVR recording. It starts at the 55-min mark with Terry Gannon talking about Ukraine and the Russian ban. Showed the last 5 seconds of N/N RD, then H/B FD.

I guess it's too much to hope for that NBC might show the full 3 hours at another time?

love skating

Clueless American
The original Men's segment from the two hour broadcast was about 47 minutes, this one started 55 minutes in as Debbie said, so I'm thinking the Men's segment from the three hour broadcast maybe would have had one more skater? Maybe Morisi? or Tomono? From what I can tell the other added programs (that weren't shown in the two hour version) were from Dance- H&B, F&G, P&G and G&F and from Women - Young You and Karen Chen. I doubt it will be shown again, dumb USFL!

mtnskater

Why doesn’t NBC put up the three hour broadcast on Peacock? The first hour was also preempted in Denver. 😤 Also NBC Peacock has taken down just about all skating from this last season. I thought maybe some of it would reappear. Still nothing. I was looking forward to catching up on some of the events I hadn’t watched yet and rewatching Nationals over the summer. They didn’t do this last year. What the heck is going on? And of course Peacock has taken the Olympics down.

maureenfarone

Why doesn’t NBC put up the three hour broadcast on Peacock? The first hour was also preempted in Denver. 😤 Also NBC Peacock has taken down just about all skating from this last season. I thought maybe some of it would reappear. Still nothing. I was looking forward to catching up on some of the events I hadn’t watched yet and rewatching Nationals over the summer. They didn’t do this last year. What the heck is going on? And of course Peacock has taken the Olympics down.
I have no idea what is going on. I'm on antenna so I pay for Peacock to watch skating and its $4.99+tax. I've contacted Peacock and gotten no response. Contacted NBC and got an email that told me to contact Peacock so I tried Peacock again and got no response. I sent 2 emails to USFS and the second was just before Jr. Worlds. Haven't received any response from USFS. I definitely was polite and did not rant and rave like a deranged serial killer.

After giving USFS several weeks to respond and receiving nothing I dropped back to Peacock free. I really can't see any reason to support Peacock when no one seems interested in replying or giving fans any info on when or if the competitions which were removed will be available again. For that matter, what should we expect going forward since it makes no sense to me that qualifying comps and Nationals would be removed before the end of the skating season.

Maybe more people should reach out to USFS or NBC but some how I doubt that would make any difference.

sk8nlizard

From Sunday, May 15 to Sunday, May 22, USFS will upload (each day) a Gala Exhibition from the 2021-22 Grand Prix & ISU Championships in their Fan Zone Video Corner:
can you watch this on a tablet? It’s not letting me access anything when I click on the story.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

A.H.Black

Cross posting from the Peacock thread.

I note that the Olympic Channel showed 2021 Skate America yesterday, 5/23. One of the broadcasts was Mens and Pairs short. In that pairs short was Knierim/Frasier skating to "House of the Rising Sun".

I have been assuming that part of the reason NBC pulled all of its Olympics/Worlds/Nationals etc. videos was because of legal issues concerning the law suit about "House of the Rising Sun". Well, either someone didn't notice or remember when they scheduled Skate America replays or my assumption has been completely wrong. I can't think of any reason to pull all of those videos that makes any sense and I am still frustrated that NBC has offered absolutely no explanation.

Whatever the reason, I need to remember to cancel my subscription to Peacock in the next few days before they bill me again.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have been assuming that part of the reason NBC pulled all of its Olympics/Worlds/Nationals etc. videos was because of legal issues concerning the law suit about "House of the Rising Sun".
That's what people were saying but even at the time, there were performances up on Peacock from the Olympics that included their routine.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Don’t some of the top ranked skaters have professional representation (agents, like IMG)? It probably has something to do with fees and compensation for skaters, not just music rights holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information