UPDATED: Jason Brown to Brian Orser (official)

kwanatic

Still waiting on the actual announcement/some kind of corroborating evidence on this one. TSL's intel is usually pretty good but I'll wait for it to be official.

If so, Brian is definitely padding his roster this off-season...

kittysk8ts

I think this is actually happening. This is good. He had to do something fairly drastic to get back on track or to get on track at all with the quads. Such a BEAUTIFUL skater. And I am fine with a quad-less skater too. Clearly he wants to achieve more in the sport. His twitter posts this season (post US Nats) revealed he was doing a lot of soul searching. Clearly a difficult decision for him and I wish him the very best.

skateboy

If this is true, I'm happy to hear it.

I always had the feeling that Jason and Kori had this pipe dream of working together from the first lesson as a beginner to an Olympic Gold Medal. But Jason outgrew Kori a long time ago, from what I can see.

It seems like Jason's not making the Olympic team really devastated him. But it could be a blessing in disguise for him.

Jason is such a huge talent, but I think he got a little too comfortable with (and reliant on) letting his PCS do the talking for his performances. Wishing him well.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If this is true, I'm happy to hear it.

I always had the feeling that Jason and Kori had this pipe dream of working together from the first lesson as a beginner to an Olympic Gold Medal. But Jason outgrew Kori a long time ago, from what I can see.

It seems like Jason's not making the Olympic team really devastated him. But it could be a blessing in disguise for him.

Jason is such a huge talent, but I think he got a little too comfortable with (and reliant on) letting his PCS do the talking for his performances. Wishing him well.

Good too, that Team USA has three spots for the 2019 World Championships, too.

Nathan and Vincent will probably be locks, so Jason has a good shot at making the team. (My guess is that Adam Rippon will move on.)

Skittl1321

Jason just uploaded a youtube video called "My Next Move". I haven't watched it yet, but it sounded related to this...

aftershocks

Banned Member
I must say I am surprised and thinking, "Why must everyone with huge talent go to Orser?"

However, I recall TSL's Olympics coverage with Doug Haw (who has worked with Orser over the years). That was a very enlightening broadcast as Haw spoke on technical topics re a number of athletes. He specifically mentioned something about Jason in regard to his technique on the quad. I can't recall Haw's exact words. I'll have to review the broadcast. It was mentioned in the TSL thread. Here's the Doug Haw broadcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0NndStY5Rw

In any case, it was complimentary and encouraging, as I recall. I'll have to review for specifics. As someone mentioned earlier, if this news is true, then Orser must indeed feel he can help Jason acquire the quad. There really aren't too many other coaches available in the U.S. who Jason likely felt might be the best fit for what he's trying to achieve re aceing the quad. Jason has got absolutely everything else. I imagine Orser is salivating at the prospect of having such an exceptionally aesthetically talented skater like Jason, who is also known to be a hard worker with a super-competitive focus and ability. Jason has landed the quad, so it's not like he's far off acquiring it consistently. It is maybe a matter of a few tweaks technically, and then perhaps mostly a case of Jason feeling emotionally and psychologically comfortable in competition which is a matter of knowing you can land it and building rep and confidence through doing it in competition. But that's the hurdle Jason did not quite get over. And now, after a great deal of thought, the change comes.

And yes, what's Orser's roster going to be looking like at this point: Hanyu, Gogolev, Jun Hwa Cha, Medvedeva, Daleman, Jason! All topflight skaters. Who else?

Although I like some of David Wilson's work, I really hope Jason will continue working with Rohene on choreo, while exploring other takes not only from Wilson, but also from J Buttle and S-L Bourne.

ETA:
Oh Whoa. I've been off the radar a bit. I didn't realize that Jin Boyang was also getting in on the Orser-action. :lol: This turn of affairs was surely beyond Orser's wildest dreams back when he missed winning the OGM by a hair twice. He's now the Olympic-hopeful go-to coach apparently (along with the respect due to the entire Cricket Club coaching team & the facility's admirable history). :respec:

Last edited:

mag

Tweeted by Phil Hersh:
I asked Brian Orser if he would be primary coach for Evgenia Medvedeva, Yuzuru Hanyu, Jin Boyang and Jason Brown. Orser replied: “Jason will be a team effort. Me, Tracy (Wilson), Karen Preston and Lee Barkell.”​

Sounds like Jason with be like Gabby. Lee the primary coach.

mag

I imagine Orser is salivating at the prospect of having such an exceptionally aesthetically talented skater like Jason, who is also known to be a hard worker with a super-competitive focus and ability. Jason has landed the quad, so it's not like he's far off acquiring it consistently. It is maybe a matter of a few tweaks technically,

I suspect Orser is so far past salivating over any particular skater. He seemed to take taking on Med in his stride, I highly doubt Jason Brown will cause a ripple. Also, as I posted above, I suspect Jason is moving to Lee Barkel and as such will be part of Brian’s group in the same way Gabby is. If you read Orser’s comment and compare it to what he said about Med, it doesn’t sound like he will be the primary.

Seerek

I didn't know that Karen Preston was coaching with Orser. She was a fantastic skater who really never caught a competitive break. I'm guessing she would be an excellent coach.

My memory is slightly hazy on this, but I'm pretty sure Karen Preston had a similar arrangement with some of Brian Orser's students dating as far back as 2009 (Adam Rippon I believe).

Sassafras

Still waiting on the actual announcement/some kind of corroborating evidence on this one. TSL's intel is usually pretty good but I'll wait for it to be official.

If so, Brian is definitely padding his roster this off-season...
It is on Jason's YouTube channel which I subscribe to

skateboy

I'm glad this is announced.

I'm very interested to see a David Wilson program on Jason. While I've loved a lot of what Rohene has produced for Jason I've always thought it was past time for him to get some choreo from someone else, as well.
I'd love to see Jason get a long program with strong music that he can really interpret, rather than the monochromatic new-agey stuff he's had for awhile now.

arakwafan2006

I hope that Jason is up to it. Orser and team believe in skaters reaching their potential. I bet he will be working multiple quads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information