(Updated) Denis Ten Murdered: was stabbed in the thigh

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hopefully the Kazakhstan Embassy in D.C. is still accepting cards and letters for Denis' family.

Here again is the address information originally provided by @Visaliakid (post #464) in this thread:

The Family of Denis Ten
c/o Mr. Timur Orazov (Consul)
Embassy of Kazakhstan
1401 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036

Thanks Visaliakid!

Sylvia

TBD
https://www.rferl.org/a/suspected-k...re-skater-denis-ten-go-on-trial/29689539.html
Two men have gone on trial in Almaty for the murder of Kazakh Olympic figure skater Denis Ten.

The two suspects, Arman Qudaibergenov and Nuraly Qiyasov, pleaded not guilty to murder charges on the first day of the trial on January 3.

A third defendant, Zhanar Tolybaeva, pleaded not guilty to theft and failure to report a crime.
https://www.pulse.com.gh/news/world/olympic-figure-skaters-murder-trial-opens-in-kazakhstan/9e6ym4r
Both Arman Kudaibergenov and Nuraly Kiyasov pleaded not guilty to Denis Ten's murder at the first hearing in a court in Almaty, according to one private and one state-owned news agency.
Ten, a 25-year-old Kazakh ice-skating star, was fatally stabbed in July after apprehending men who had attempted to steal mirrors from his car in central Almaty.
The prosecution on Thursday told how one of the men held Ten, while another "stabbed Denis Ten twice in the femoral artery", according to private Kazakh news agency Tengri News.
While denying the murder charge, Kudaibergenov admitted to a charge of theft.
Kiyasov, who the prosecution says is the one who stabbed Ten, pleaded innocent to both the murder and theft charges.
Also in court was Zhanar Tolybayeva, a woman charged by the prosecution as an accomplice to the theft and failing to report a crime. She pleaded not guilty to the charges and asked to be acquitted.
"I did not know that my acquaintances had intentions of murder," Tolybayeva was quoted as saying in her court testimony by Kazinform, a state news agency.

Tinami Amori

Unfortunately they were able to plead not guilty (the two men) on advise from their lawyer, and that will complicate and prolong the trial.

From what i read, there is an issue with how this homicide was classified in the formal accusation (first degree/felony, second, voluntary/involuntary, etc.). The community and the country was so irate over this death, that it is possible that the prosecutor charged them with too high of a degree which left a loophole for arguments against it.

Oksana (Oxana?) Ten, Denis' mother, did something very unwise and pointless just before the trial. She announced that she believes her son's murder is not accidental (due to fight during theft) but a pre-arranged "paid for set-up". She claimed that the two suspects were hired killers, and used car-mirrors theft to lure Denis into a fight with intent to kill.

She used two reasons for her accusations: mother's gut feeling, and the fact that the car-mirrors were found next to Denis' body and thieves did not take them (which in her opinion means they did not want them in the first place).

People in legal fields argue that finding mirrors next to the body does not mean the thieves did not want them, they may have left/dropped them to quickly flee the scene after the fight and stabbing, as the situation was critical.

Mother's accusations also led to the questioning of Denis' friend, the one who invited Denis for lunch to the restaurant, to check if his invitation to lunch had any connection to the outcome. The friend explained that this lunch invitation was an unplanned last minute arrangement, and he was not sure if Denis will come or not.

Her accusation would mean that it was "first degree" and "conspiracy" insinuations, and that was pushing it a bit too far.
https://ru.sputniknews.kz/society/20190104/8737147/zerkala-ubijstvo-denis-ten-mat-sud.html

(imo, after reading what is available, not having any legal/criminal education, the crime borderlines between 2nd Degree and Manslaughter, and overcharging and hyping up "murder conspiracy" does not help and gives the defense reasons to plead not guilty).

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

First hearing took place in the murder case of Denis Ten. There were 3 accused/suspects. Two men who participated in theft and stabbing and a woman (girlfriend) accused of “hiding crime/conspiracy in crime”.

Here is one of several detailed articles with testimony. It google-translates well enough. There are more links on the issue, but they all say more or less the same thing.
https://www.nur.kz/1772672-arman-ku...ak-byl-ubit-denis-ten-on-byl-silnee-mena.html

In a nut-shell (none of the below are my opinions or sentiments, summary of what is posted in the articles and what is said by the accused. even if some of it sounds sympathetic to the accused).

Prior to the day of the incident these three people were kicked out of their apartment. Another female (not the one accused) who was dating one of the two men came to the apartment and said she is pregnant. There was an argument and a fight. Pregnant girl was scandalous and demanding. Police got involved.

The owner of the apartment (brother of one of the two men) did not want trouble and told them to get out.

Next day the two men and the accused woman were looking for a new place to live. Two men realized they needed to get quick money, and went on “the hunt” for mirrors.

They randomly picked Ten’s Lexus, since it was a luxury car. When they removed the mirrors and were walking away, they saw Ten chasing them.

They did not recognize Ten. He stopped them, all stood for few moments. One of the thieves realized the trouble they are facing and jail time, and handed the paper bag with mirrors back into Ten’s hand. Then the two men started running away across the street and were almost hit by oncoming car “Camry” (witness).

Few moments later the two men saw Ten chasing after them.

Ten dropped the bag with mirrors, caught up with the two guys and a fight started.

One of the two guys says he notice that Ten is much stronger/fitter than him, and he can’t win, so he removed his leather belt with buckle and tried to whip Ten with his belt. He said he had to fight Ten off, because if caught he would go to prison, which he could not afford.

Then Ten punched one of the guys from “the top” (on the head). This guys lost balance and held on to the metal fence grid. When he regained himself (one of the thieves), he saw his partner (Nuraly) standing next to him.
Ten appeared shocked as well. Two thieves started to run away, when Nuraly told the first guy that he stabbed Ten twice to stop him from fighting, and that the knife he threw away.

Nuraly said “I don’t know why I stabbed him, to stop him from beating you”. Both men were quite sure that Ten will not die, since the wounds were in the hip area. But both were very concerned about the stabbing, and felt bad.
Then they picked up the accused girl, but did not tell her about the stabbing. Both men claim she did not know about the circumstances.

Both men learned of Ten’s death only the next day, when they were caught by police and taken into custody.

Arman, the other thieve, gave sincere apology to Ten’s family, stating that murder or physical harm was not their intent.
https://www.nur.kz/1772682-arman-ku...ia-u-materi-denisa-tena-i-u-vsego-naroda.html

In the court house one of the men who did the stabbing, Nuraly, asked for medical help and complained about pains in the abdomen area. Paramedics were called. He was diagnosed with Gastritis, treated but it will not prevent the trial.
https://www.nur.kz/1772761-nuraly-kiasovu-potrebovalas-pomos-medikov-v-zale-suda.html

Ten’s body medical examination concluded that he died due to loss of blood, and had the ambulance arrived sooner to stop the bleeding, he may have survived.
https://www.nur.kz/1772765-osmatrivavsij-telo-denisa-tena-sudmedekspert-on-mog-vyzit.html

Spun Silver

That story is absurd. So skinny 5'5" figure skater who's probably never been in trouble or a fight in his life, goes chasing after TWO guys, probably both bigger than him, who already gave him his mirrors back, just so he can beat them up and teach them a lesson. Yeah, right. We all know how violent and angry Denis was.

Maybe Denis's mother's strategy was wrong (I can't know) but it doesn't sound like these guys are doing themselves any favors either.

May justice be done.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Right @Spun Silver, the defense is trying to build some kind of 'blameless' narrative for these thugs. The defense attorneys should just stop wasting the court's time trying to suggest these low-lifes needed to recognize Denis in order to avoid stabbing him and to beg his pardon for burglarizing his vehicle. :rolleyes: :mad: What a new angle: one needs to know first whether particular people are famous or not before choosing whether to victimize and kill them.

Instead of trying to blame Denis and the ambulance not coming right away for Denis' death, they should all look in the mirror and accept there's no ifs ands or buts about it: They shouldn't have made the choice to engage in criminal and violent enterprises. Next step for these scum of the earth, regardless of the court case outcome: Rot in Hell.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Just facts on the case, what is being published. (i am also using term "accused" vs. "suspect" because there are differences in legal handling, between "western" and "inherited former soviet laws in Kazakhstan", aka "innocent till proven guilty" vs. "guilty till proven innocent", or "accusatory" vs. "traverse", so it is not a matter of "translation", same applies to few other terms as well).

- The two men (the accused) are not large-built or athletic, but they certainly do not look weaker or smaller than Ten. The fact of carrying an offense weapon/knife, and their past history (of crimes/thefts) indicate they are street smart when it comes to battles/street fights. Denis had a disadvantage, and most likely all men's physicals will be taken into consideration.
https://informburo.kz/img/inner/738/81/_mg_2658.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...j8Tap2x-UKOKwEgCKjGpbAzFAfTHFzxGYeYqIXK2tg5XI
https://informburo.kz/img/article/738/81_main.jpg
https://static.life.ru/posts/2018/07/1136790/gr/north/9a524324503fbe7fd4cd2cbabbd9f5c3__1440x.png

- Denis' body and next to it the bag with mirrors were found (if i recall correctly) at least 30 meters away from the automobile, on a side street, next to a metal fence. It is theoretically possible, that a) Denis carried the bag with him while chasing the guys, or (more likely/logical) the two men dropped the bag after Denis caught up with them and after the fight. Denis regretfully is not here to testify. But the fact of him chasing them is confirmed by location of body and mirrors. https://f.azh.kz/news/53555.jpg

- Denis' Mother's claims that it was a pre-arranged/set-up/paid-for murder, and not an accidental death due to theft/fight, has not affected the Degree of Formal Accusations, but it created a "narrative/atmosphere" where the accused and their lawyer became acutely concerned with "public opinion and informational pressure".

- One of the accused, Arman, who was the one fighting, not stabbing (that Nuraly), claims that he was tortured by the the investigators, and was pressured to admit murder. That he was trying also to protect Nuraly (who did the stabbing and later admitted to have done it).
https://lstv.kursiv.kz/news/obsches...aybergenov-skazal-chto-vzyal-vinu-na-sebya-za

His testimony in court:
«Когда меня поймали, меня пытали, чтобы я не смог отказаться, вынуждали, чтобы я признался в этом. Другого варианта не было. Начинали как-то угрожать. Сперва, когда меня поймали, я признался. А на следующий день задумался о происходящей ситуации, дал чистосердечное признание, что это не я, как раз тогда и узнал, что Денис Тен умер», - отметил Кудайбергенов....

"When they caught me, they tortured me, i could not refuse, i was forced to admit it. I had no other choice. They threatened me. So at first, when they just caught me, i confessed. But the next day i thought about the situation, gave a honest confession, that it was not me (who stabbed), and at that time is when i learned that Denis Ten is dead" - said Arman Kudaybergenov.

- The accused female announced that she too is pregnant, her testimony actually contradict some of the things the two men said about her involvement in the case. The men said that she knew nothing about any of it. She said that not only she knew they went on a mirror hunt, she was also with them until they went to remove the mirrors. They parked the car down the street from the place of incident, told her to stay put, until they return. She confessed that she knew they were stealing, but not that they murdered, and that any of it was pre-planned. Her only guilt is "knowing they stole".
https://www.nur.kz/1772746-ubijstvo-denisa-tena-beremennaa-podozrevaemaa-vystupila-pered-sudom.html

These are her words (as published in the article):
- С одной стороны, мне стало интересно, что собираются делать Арман и Нуралы. Я смотрела то в телефон, то на них. Затем я заметила, что Арман куда-то бежит. За ним в 2-3 метрах гнался парень азиатской внешности.
-Но потом я заметила, что парень в белой футболке присел на землю. Потом Арман и Нуралы побежали в сторону парка. Спустя некоторое время мне позвонил Арман и сказал, чтобы я пришла к машине
- В машине я заметила, что у Нуралы ранена рука. Они с Арманом о чем-то говорили, обсуждали.
- Я не знаю, что именно, но я точно слышала, что Нуралы взволнованно спросил: "Наверное, он не умрет?".
- Я не могу сказать, что стала свидетелем особо тяжкого преступления. Я видела только то, как они воруют. Я очень жалею, что не рассказала тогда все стражам порядка. Я не видела, кто нанес удар ножом", - говорит Толыбаева."

- I was curious what Arman and Nuraly were up to. My eyes were skipping from my phone to where they went. Then i noticed Arman running somewhere. He was chased by an Asian-looking man, 2-3 meters behind him.
- Then i noticed that the "guy in the white shirt" (Ten) slid to the ground. Then Arman and Nuraly started to run towards the park. Some time later Arman telephoned me and told me to get back to the car.
- Once in the car, i noticed that Nyraly's hand is injured/slit. He and Arman were discussing something (intense).
- Not sure what they were saying, but for sure i heard Nuraly exclaiming "perhaps, maybe he won't die?".

- I can not confirm that i was a witness to a serious crime. I only saw that they were stealing. I am very sorry that i did not confess to the detective from the start. I did not see which man did the stabbing".

Tinami Amori

Unfortunately the case/trial is not getting any simpler.... The Testimony of the accused, and Ten's mother's opinions.

During the last hearing Nuraly said that "he is ready for any punishment. he was not planning on such outcome/death. Gave many apologies to Ten's mother. said he never had any other human's blood on his hands before, he made a fatal mistake, and grieves for the sorrow he brought on Ten's mother/family". Yet, the investigator accuses Nuraly of not being truthful, because his story line/sequence of events do not match the other two, Amran's and the accused woman's. The discrepancies seemed to be around the timing, and reasons when, how and why Nuraly stabbed Ten (self defense vs. attack and the reason for attack).
https://www.nur.kz/1773092-podozrevaemyj-v-ubijstve-denisa-tena-a-gotov-ponesti-luboe-nakazanie.html

Previous description of the fight was given by Arman (few posts above). Now Nuraly (the stabber) describes the story. The start of the story is the same (fight with girl, police, moving apartments, needing money, going on a theft spree).
Then he described the part which involves violence. (since most of this following link is his story, i will only post the translation. the original text is in the article.
https://www.nur.kz/1773020-nuraly-kiasov-rasskazal-kak-bil-nozom-denisa-tena-on-ne-boalsa.html

"Me and Arman left the car (to get the mirrors). Arman told me to stay, he can do it alone, but i said i'll go with him. We told Zhanar (the girl) to stay in the car. She first agreed but then stepped out on the street.

We noted a white car on the side of the street (Denis' Lexus). Arman gave me the bag, he put on his gloves and started to remove the mirror on the driver's side. The street was getting more crowded, so he was reluctant to remove the other side's mirror. I stood guard on the sidewalk watching crowd and smoked.

Suddenly i noticed that a fight broke out right in front of this car. I was standing about 7 meters (7 yards/21 ft) away. I did not see how Arman came to remove the 2nd mirror. I did not even noticed that Denis approached. I only noticed when the fight started".

Denis was fearless (brazen). He did not pull back even when he saw the knife in my hands. Then i noticed that Arman is running towards the sports/playground (the one with metal fence). Denis caught him. Denis grabbed him once on the sidewalk (while they were running), and 2nd time he caught him near the playground.

I did not ran with them. I was sure that Arman can outrun him, so i sat down the sidewalk (he had to pretend he is not involved, he was a watchman). Then i slowly started to walk and approach where they were, at the time Arman was already hitting Denis with the belt. I also never said in prior questioning that i was "playing with the knife". Because that's not what i was doing. This is false information.

I had a bag, inside was that knife and few tools for mirror removal. At some point i noticed that Arman is holding on to the metal fence and is sliding to the ground. That is when i took the knife out of the bag and ran towards them.

I ran up to Denis and pulled his hand. He looked at me. He saw the knife in my hand. I was hopping he sees the knife, and gets "the message". But he was not afraid. Now it is a blur to me, how i ended up stabbing him. So therefore i disagree that the murder was premeditated.

I approached Denis from the right back side, then hit him with the knife. Then i looked at Arman. He got up and we ran away from the scene. We went into the park's bushes. I discarded the knife. Then came to the car and picked up Zhanar (the girl).

When we reached Sayran (man-made water lake), we washed ourselves. We had a conversation "will he die or not?". Then i went home. My brother was very mad at me (for previous issues). Same day i was arrested at about 22:00 by the police."

Denis' mother, Oxana Ten, is doing her own research/investigation and stating her own accusations. There are several mentions of her words and actions in various articles, but as details. This one more or less sums it up.
https://www.nur.kz/1773051-mama-den...mogo-nuraly-kiasova-vnezapno-razbogatela.html

She insists that Denis' murder was pre-planned/pre-arranged AND paid for. She has been doing her own investigation, checking family bank records, driving to Nuraly's parents' home town and house, watching them, talking to neighbors, and now states that Nuraly's family's finances and lifestyle has greatly increased/improved. She said they are richer now and have more expensive possessions than before.

She addressed Nuraly in court, during trial, with the following words:
"Материальное состояние твоих родителей было плачевным. Мы также знаем, что твоя мать взяла кредит для того, чтобы помочь тебе.
А сейчас, после происшествия, состояние вашей семьи значительно улучшилось, чем раньше. Это говорят ваши соседи. Кроме того, перед вашим домом стоит новый автомобиль. Как ты это объяснишь?"- спросила мать Дениса Тена у подозреваемого."​
"Your parents' financial situation was miserable. We also discovered/know that your mother had to take out a bank credit to help you financially. And now, after this incident, your family's finances greatly improved. All your neighbors confirm it. Besides that, there is a brand new automobile in your house's driveway (in front of your house). How do you explain all that?".
--

Eislauffan

This is all so terrible. I can understand that Denis' mom somehow cannot believe that Denis fell victim to this senseless crime and therefore believes that it was an arranged murder. But who would have ordered to kill Denis and why? He was not involved in politics (other than part of the bidding team for the 2022 Olympic Games), he was not running some kind of business etc.

Tinami Amori

I can understand that Denis' mom somehow cannot believe that Denis fell victim to this senseless crime and therefore believes that it was an arranged murder.

I don't know if this is related or not, nor i have any links to prove it, but shortly after the initial shock for all Kazakh people has settled, there was some talk on chats about "let it be a lesson to kids not to chase after petty thieves, possessions are not worth it".

During the "night of goodbye" held at the Sports Auditorium...
https://informburo.kz/img/inner/738/99/_mg_33362.jpg
.. i remember it was mentioned (in chats) that one woman in the line of grievers said to her daughter something like "how stupid it is to die over some stupid mirrors. he could have bought new ones, but he can't buy a life", and that Oxana Ten overheard it or somebody told her.

But who would have ordered to kill Denis and why? He was not involved in politics (other than part of the bidding team for the 2022 Olympic Games), he was not running some kind of business etc.
Hypothetically, one does not have to be in politics or in big business or drug smuggling, etc., to become an object of an arranged paid-for murder. Someone with money can be motivated to eliminate someone just for being insulted, or for having his wife looked at the wrong way, or for something that has to do with pride and ego.... a person can get ran off the road off a bridge for a public insult, like flipping a bird to the wrong person with pride and power. If that person, who gets the bird, is important, and has others riding in the car with him, it maybe a matter of honor to run down the offender. (not that any of this is relevant to Ten).

But, this incident with Ten, mirrors, stabbing, is not how such murders are set up. It is usually hidden as "stabbing or shooting during theft in a dark alley after dinner party", but not in the daylight, with so little probability of using car mirrors and expecting that the intended victims comes out during this time AND chases after them... If one wants to make a "revenge murder" public, one drives up to the person in the daylight, and shoots, and then drives away. Or runs him/her over with a car. There are pills that entice a heart attack, and hard to detect, etc... The circumstances in Ten's case do not lead to such scenario, more so, they contradict it.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
This is all so terrible. I can understand that Denis' mom somehow cannot believe that Denis fell victim to this senseless crime and therefore believes that it was an arranged murder. But who would have ordered to kill Denis and why? He was not involved in politics (other than part of the bidding team for the 2022 Olympic Games), he was not running some kind of business etc.
The fact that we don’t know what the reason for arranged murder would be doesn’t necessarily mean that there wasn’t any reason. It just mean that we don’t know the reason. After reading what you wrote I immediately recalled the discussion between Abbe Faria and Edmond Dantes from the Count de Monte Cristo. Edmond telling Abbe Faria that he really can’t see why someone would wish him any harm, and Abbe teaching Edmond that even the lowest people in hierarchy of society will still have someone who is worse off and that someone may envy them something and wish to ‘move up’ to take their place. Are you assuming that only having a business or being in politics can get someone killed? For some people human life has a very small value (as long as it is not their own life) and a reason for hiring someone to kill Denis can be something completely ridiculous, such as envy that Denis had a nice car, or envy that he was successful, or feeling that Denis did not show enough ‘respect’ (e.g. Denis might not have given someone way on traffic lights) or anything else ridiculously small. Sometimes it can be any perceived insult rather than a real one, which means Denis might not have even done anything but someone could have perceived it as insult. Also, the person who potentially hired those men would not necessarily need to be rich. It is not as if Denis was killed by first rate assasin. Those two men could have been hired for a bottle of vodka.

Anyway, I am not suggesting that it definitely was prearranged murder, but I wouldn’t dismiss it as impossible.

Eislauffan

Kudaibergen and Kiasov have been convicted to 18 years in prison, Tolybaeva got four years, Kazakh news agencies report: https://tengrinews.kz/kazakhstan_news/ubiytsam-denisa-tena-vyinesli-prigovor-361508/

As for the arranged murder - right, to me "arranged murder" is something that the mafia does, but in fact it is true that other people have arranged murders, even if it is to get rid of a husband or wife. In any case I agree with Tinami that the way the crime happened doesn't look it was a professionally arranged murder. On the other hand it looks like some questions Denis' mom brought up have not been answered.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Yes, it seems that the allegations about the perpetrator's family's new car and sudden change in income could be easily verified or shot down.

Who knows, maybe Denis hit on some mobster's girlfriend or angered an event promoter.

But whether it was random or not, our sport will miss him for decades to come. I really think he was going to be a prominent figure in our sport after he retired.

And that loss pales in comparison to what those who knew him must be feeling.

Tinami Amori

I watched clips of the final hearing and verdict, and there are articles stating the details.
https://ru.sputniknews.kz/incidents/20190117/8898873/denis-ten-prigovor-sud.html

Arman Kudaibergenov is found guilt on 3 counts (18 years labor colony, financial penalty - 200 USD)
188/2/2 - Theft/robbery committed by a group of persons by prior agreement.
192/2/1 - The robbery committed by a group of persons by prior agreement with the use of weapons or objects used as weapons
99/2/7/8 - Murder committed by a group of persons in a premeditated conspiracy of mercenary motives, as well as for hire or accompanied by robbery or extortion.
(also, he is required to pay to a victim A from a previous crime he is found guilty of a sum of 1,000 USD)
(also, he is required to pay to a victim B from a previous crime he is found guilty of a sum of 260 USD)

Nuraly Kiyasov is found guilty on 2 counts (18 years labor colony, financial penalty - 200 USD)
192/1/1 - Robbery committed by a group of persons by prior agreement with the use of weapons or objects used as weapons
99/2/7/8 - Murder committed by a group of persons in a premeditated conspiracy of mercenary motives, as well as for hire or accompanied by robbery or extortion.

Zhanar Tolybaeva (girlfriend) found guilty on 1 count (4 years, medium security prison, financial penalty - 130 USD).
434 - Failure to report serious crime.

(Defense lawyer for Tolybaeva and Arman plan to dispute/appeal the verdict).

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6Aig4KA9k

Tinami Amori

Are they expected to appeal?
The girl's lawyer will appeal, on basis that she is 7 months pregnant, and was not exactly sure what happened between men, not enough for her to report.
Arman's claim would be "yes, theft, but not murder, or any conspiracies. he ran away, was fighting in defense, and had no intend to physically hurt".

I can't believe the sentence. 18 years for robbery and murder is unacceptable. They should've gotten prison for life.
When the court added up each offense, the max they came up with was 20 years. Lawyers brought it down to 18.

18 years in max security labor colony in a former soviet republic (other than Baltics) is hell. The guys may not live that long. The weaker ones, pee-ons, and newbies are tortured, beaten, extorted and raped.

Winter solitary cell - https://static.mk.ru/upload/objects/articles/detailPicture/a1/72/21/f4/6779683_7526815.jpg
http://tobyl-torgai.kz/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/турме.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YNyYxxENo28/hqdefault.jpg
https://static.365info.kz/uploads/2018/11/428d9f6b7cac928d70ec36115212b1df-600x400.png

In similar cases the verdict would be between 7 and 9 years if it was some regular person killed in such situation. It is 18 years because it is Denis Ten and he is a national hero.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

It's been almost half a year since it happened and it still hurts.
I can't believe the sentence. 18 years for robbery and murder is unacceptable. They should've gotten prison for life.
Eighteen years in a labor camp is a long, long time for a young man. I think this is comparable to a US sentence for second-degree (not premeditated) murder.

But it doesn't make my heart sigh with relief. It doesn't balance out the taking away of Denis's life.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
When the court added up each offense, the max they came up with was 20 years. Lawyers brought it down to 18.

18 years in max security labor colony in a former soviet republic (other than Baltics) is hell. The guys may not live that long. The weaker ones, pee-ons, and newbies are tortured, beaten, extorted and raped.

Winter solitary cell - https://static.mk.ru/upload/objects/articles/detailPicture/a1/72/21/f4/6779683_7526815.jpg
http://tobyl-torgai.kz/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/турме.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YNyYxxENo28/hqdefault.jpg
https://static.365info.kz/uploads/2018/11/428d9f6b7cac928d70ec36115212b1df-600x400.png

In similar cases the verdict would be between 7 and 9 years if it was some regular person killed in such situation. It is 18 years because it is Denis Ten and he is a national hero.
You have a point there. I highly doubt, they make it out of there alive. Good.

In Germany they might've gotten like 10 years or something like that with a release after 7 or 8 in case they behave decently.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I watched clips of the final hearing and verdict, and there are articles stating the details.
https://ru.sputniknews.kz/incidents/20190117/8898873/denis-ten-prigovor-sud.html

Arman Kudaibergenov is found guilt on 3 counts (18 years labor colony, financial penalty - 200 USD)
188/2/2 - Theft/robbery committed by a group of persons by prior agreement.
192/2/1 - The robbery committed by a group of persons by prior agreement with the use of weapons or objects used as weapons
(also, he is required to pay to a victim A from a previous crime he is found guilty of a sum of 1,000 USD)
(also, he is required to pay to a victim B from a previous crime he is found guilty of a sum of 260 USD)

Nuraly Kiyasov is found guilty on 2 counts (18 years labor colony, financial penalty - 200 USD)
192/1/1 - Robbery committed by a group of persons by prior agreement with the use of weapons or objects used as weapons

Zhanar Tolybaeva (girlfriend) found guilty on 1 count (4 years, medium security prison, financial penalty - 130 USD).
434 - Failure to report serious crime.

(Defense lawyer for Tolybaeva and Arman plan to dispute/appeal the verdict).

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6Aig4KA9k
The sputniknews article you posted says they "received 18 years of imprisonment" if the google machine translation is correct. Where the "labor colony" thing you mentioned comes from?

google translation:
Kudaibergenov and Kiyasov received 18 years of imprisonment, Tolybaev - four years

Tinami Amori

The sputniknews article you posted says they "received 18 years of imprisonment" if the google machine translation is correct. Where the "labor colony" thing you mentioned comes from? google translation:
there are many articles this morning, plus videos of court hearings and verdict announcements. it is "labor colony".

http://www.aif.ru/society/law/ubiycy_kazahstanskogo_figurista_tena_poluchili_po_18_let_kolonii
"...к 18 годам лишения свободы с отбыванием в колонии максимальной безопасности"
"... convicted - 18 years detention in maximum security colony" (which is a labor colony)"

https://www.novayagazeta.ru/news/2019/01/17/148430-figuranto
Специализированный межрайонный суд по уголовным делам города Алма-Аты приговорил по делу об убийстве фигуриста Дениса Тена Армана Кудайбергенова и Нуралы Киясова к 18 годам лишения свободы в учреждении максимальной безопасности (колонии строгого режима) - Colony of harsh regime.

https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3105665
"Межрайонный суд по уголовным делам Алма-Аты приговорил их к 18 годам колонии."
"Regional Alma Ata Criminal Court sentenced them to 18 years in a colony."

https://kt.kz/rus/crime/ubijci_denisa_tena_poluchili_po_18_let_kolonii_1153668193.html
"Убийцы Дениса Тена получили по 18 лет колонии. Отбывать наказание Кудайбергенов и Киясов будут в учреждении максимальной безопасности."
"Killers of Denis ten received 18 years in a colony. They will receive their punishment in a maximum security establishment".

Labor Colonies (colonies of harsh regime) in Kazakhstan (and not only in Kazakhstan) are "behavior correcting" and "work" is believed to be the motivating factor to "behave better" plus "a form of punishment".
The better behaving, lesser crime, or well connected prisoners get the inside-the-building jobs, the others work outside, dig, lay bricks, clean yards, fix fences, etc. Recently there's been some upgrades in those colonies, to give better behaving population professional/production learning opportunities.
В Актау в колонии строгого режима увеличилось количество производственных предприятий
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97_8W9aQRo

It's not the same as "gulag", in principle. But it is not like in "the west", a free-food holiday with TV and rec-rooms with basketball courts... :D
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/201...the_Metropolitan_Reman-a-20_1498900133905.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/20/article-0-1E0782B700000578-814_964x611.jpg

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I'm glad they received hefty prison sentences.

However, I can't agree with the hope that they experience violence in prison.
Exactly! i don't either. Confinement is the punishment itself, and any form of violence, bullying, etc., should not be part of it. Unfortunately it happens, and sometimes in worst possible forms. It is hard to control and to stop even if and/or when government forces and human rights organizations get involved. When they come for inspections, the situation is made to look a lot better during their visits, and those who suffered abuse are afraid to speak out because of future retaliation. Those who "snitch" are easy to get rid of later, by making death or injury look like an accident, or "bad fight between inmates" where the administration is not at fault.

There needs to be a major overhaul of the "former soviet prison systems" in all (but Baltic) former soviet republics (and other parts of the world as well), but it is almost impossible to implement for many reasons.

Tinami Amori

The murder trial verdict is now disputed by Denis Ten's family and lawyer.
https://abctv.kz/ru/last/mat-i-advokat-denisa-tena-trebuyut-uzhestocheniya-nakazaniy

Denis' mother is not satisfied with the sentences, and finds them too lenient. As well she and their lawyer insist that 20 pieces of evidence presented against the accused were not sufficiently considered or reviewed during the trial. That these evidence (in Ten family's opinion) clearly indicate a presence of other parties/participants interested in Denis' death. They believe that his murder was pre-arranged, and more people are involved, which was overlooked and ignored during the trial.

They are submitting an appeal to expand the investigation, one of the elements in the appeal is to further question the woman (Zhanar Tolybaeva) who was present with the 2 men, as she maybe a lot more involved than just being a witness who did not report the crime or can lead to other parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information