Unpopular Opinions

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
A sign of power?? :p I always saw them as a sign of a poor dressmaker or a skater who refuses to admit that they need a few more inches of fabric to cover their butt.
I asked this in the pbp thread, but I wonder if some skaters are getting less in-person fittings do to rona reasons, and that's why we're seeing more of this. Seems pretty bad this season.

orbitz

Well, I don't understand judges. They have everything to mark correctly what is up on the ice.
How Morisi Kvitelashvili's Salchow or Toe can have +GOE ? His technique on both jumps is incorrect... the Toe is the worst !

I was watching a video criticizing Morisis' technique at Rostelecom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqJbCPbBnw

It's unbelievable how difficult it is to tell his 4s apart from his 4t.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
I think Kneirim/Frazier are a lot closer to the level of their US compatriots, Cain-Gribble/Leduc and Calalang/Johnson than NBC/the US media attempts to present them. I don’t believe they are “clearly the best US team” or at “(capable of) top 5 in the World” level yet no matter how much Tara and Johnny try to spin it as such. I think the 2022 US Nationals pair title is wide open for any of these 3 teams to clinch.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Here’s another opinion from me:
The final 15 seconds of the LP must be choreo with only one spin allowed. Preferably no spins. Integrate spins in the artistry of the program.

No more endings with spins back to back. I’m sick of 2 spins at the end, as if they are thrown in because they didn’t fit anywhere else. It is now anti-climactic rather than dramatic.

DreamSkates

I think Kneirim/Frazier are a lot closer to the level of their US compatriots, Cain-Gribble/Leduc and Calalang/Johnson than NBC/the US media attempts to present them. I don’t believe they are “clearly the best US team” or at “(capable of) top 5 in the World” level yet no matter how much Tara and Johnny try to spin it as such. I think the 2022 US Nationals pair title is wide open for any of these 3 teams to clinch.
Their result at US Nationals last year seemed to set them apart but similar scores haven’t been earned this year.

Peepsquick

my partner saw their rd for the first time the other day and i was going on and on about how gorgeous sara is and he's like, "ok, but what's up with the fake gun holster??" 😆

(i had no answer to give)
Sara IS gorgeous but she needs a different partner... he seems on the verge of collapsing at the end of each performance. I can see the writings on the wall here ... I doubt he will sticks around much longer.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
My unpopular opinion of the week.

The oriental programs from Belgian Loena and Elder Russian this past weekend were unseemly and wildly inappropriate for the sport of ladies figure skating.

I do not appreciate being unwittingly assailed with buttcheeks,belly buttons and bare midriff. Those proclivities should stay behind closed doors,not widely broadcast for family viewing on a Sunday afternoon.

-BB

Last edited:

LoopCombo

I believe you have confused this topic with the "Wildly popular opinions" discussion,dear.

-BB
I think the point is, although popular on FSU, this opinion is (unfortunately) unpopular amongst the skaters/coaches/choreographers. The question I have is why is that?!

wickedwitch

I don't know if this is unpopular, but I've never seen anyone else say this so:
Belbin/Agosto should have won the 2002 US Nats over Lang/Tchernyshev. L/T were injured all fall and had just returned -- and at US Nats, it showed. Obviously, this would never happen, beacause a) it's ice dance and b) B/A couldn't go to the Olys, but I thought B/A were clearly the better team at this competition.

Vagabond

As much as it would suck for the GPF to be cancelled, I would much rather sacrifice the cancellation of the GPF as long as Zagreb goes forward with full fields. :shuffle:
Oh boy! Seems like bossman has to play teacher once again! Folks, get in shape, off-season is over!!!
#TeamTrainwreck-competitions-ranking/importance:
1) Universiade
2) Nebelhorn Trophy (if olympic qualifier)
3) Golden Spin
4) Hunger Games
7) Mordovian Ornament
9) FBMA Abu Dhabi
14) Austrian Nationals
36) Euros
GPF must be no higher than 15th, and I daresay that it is lower than 36th.

orbitz

I like Irina's 2006 Olympic LP. I never understood all the hate that the program received.

I'm annoyed at the obligatory audience applause after every set of twizzles. It's a twizzle, not a some crazy quad or quad combo. Yes, I know twizzle is hard but every ice dancing pair can do them.

millyskate

A sign of power?? :p I always saw them as a sign of a poor dressmaker or a skater who refuses to admit that they need a few more inches of fabric to cover their butt.
It’s a fashion / generation issue. Back in “our” day, we’d be mortified if our swimsuits were ill-fitting behind or not offering decent coverage.
Now all regular young adults appear to be flaunting their behinds in deliberately non-existent bikini bottoms on Instagram. Seems weird to me but it’s the current trend.

VGThuy

I like Irina's 2006 Olympic LP. I never understood all the hate that the program received.

I'm annoyed at the obligatory audience applause after every set of twizzles. It's a twizzle, not a some crazy quad or quad combo. Yes, I know twizzle is hard but every ice dancing pair can do them.
I think it was conditioning based on the fact that it was the twizzles where the most noticeable mistakes or wipeouts used to occur in ice dance, plus seeing them really well done and presented well makes that element a bit more noticeable for the audience than a footwork sequence does. At least, the twizzles used to be where teams would tend to wipe out. Back before this Olympic cycle, one partner messing it up would hurt the entire element's scores so there was a bit of "do or die" that was comparable to jumps in singles or pairs.

quartz

scratching at the light
Maybe skaters should learn the secrets of Japanese dressmakers. There are no wedgies in Japanese skating (or not many, anyway). At least that I've seen. I don't know how they secure them, but those panties don't move. LOL. :D;) :)
The Japanese ladies in general are immaculately packaged. I may not always care for a particular look, but they all seem to be put together appropriately for their programs and there is no lack of attention to detail, hair, makeup, everything. With the exception of Riku Miura, who I can’t figure out at all. Her blue short program dress doesn’t fit, and her black long program dress is not at all flattering. Hair and makeup are bare minimum. Someone needs to bling her up a bit!

screech

I don't like longer skirts in ladies singles - like Valieva's wears. Something about it just seems out of place in that discipline.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I prefer seeing the women in all disciplines in a skating dress because I don't like unitards or catsuits, whatever you call them. I am glad "men in tights" went away. I like pairs and ice dance costumes to compliment one another. I have no problem with bling, I love it.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I prefer seeing the women in all disciplines in a skating dress because I don't like unitards or catsuits, whatever you call them. I am glad "men in tights" went away. I like pairs and ice dance costumes to compliment one another. I have no problem with bling, I love it.
Hmmm. I pretty much agree. But I have seen a couple of fan ones.....didnt Bradie Tennell wear one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information