Unpopular Opinions

VGThuy

I don't know if this is unpopular but NBC went from having the worst TES box to having the best one this season and the ISU should adopt theirs.

VGThuy

What does NBC's look like compared to the ISU?
Here's an example:

They have the element completely spelled out with the level number following. They show you the maximize score a skater can get with that element on the left and with the skater's actual score on the right highlighted in green if they receive positive GOE and red if they receive negative GOE. They also name and identify country of the leader with their TES listed along with the current skater (also identified) score building up. I do like that ISU has base value listed with GOE separate though.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Here's an example:

They have the element completely spelled out with the level number following. They show you the maximize score a skater can get with that element on the left and with the skater's actual score on the right highlighted in green if they receive positive GOE and red if they receive negative GOE. They also name and identify country of the leader with their TES listed along with the current skater (also identified) score building up. I do like that ISU has base value listed with GOE separate though.
Thanks for trying @VGThuy, but that video is blocked.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So during her choreographic sequence, the NBC tracker said max value for the element was 4.5, and it also showed that she had "5", then "4.88" for that element.

I agree it is more helpful, but maybe they need to update the max values for that element.

Ironically, she ended up with 4.5 for her ch sq once everyone had entered their GOE.

VGThuy

Thanks for trying @VGThuy, but that video is blocked.

Here you go:

TES-Box-NBC.png

So during her choreographic sequence, the NBC tracker said max value for the element was 4.5, and it also showed that she had "5", then "4.88" for that element.

I agree it is more helpful, but maybe they need to update the max values for that element.

Ironically, she ended up with 4.5 for her ch sq once everyone had entered their GOE.

Oh yeah, it's only better if the max scores are accurate, :lol:. I suspect it was supposed to be a 5.50.

screech

I like that. It would make it easier for the average person to know what the heck the numbers mean. Maybe eventually the BV could be included beside the element name?
I also didn't mind when they used to have the colour-coded dots for each element.

But I guess the more info they add, the more cumbersome the box will get.

VGThuy

I like that. It would make it easier for the average person to know what the heck the numbers mean. Maybe eventually the BV could be included beside the element name?
I also didn't mind when they used to have the colour-coded dots for each element.

But I guess the more info they add, the more cumbersome the box will get.
I think you’re right. The good thing about NBC’s new version is that it’s easy to read and looks clean.

briancoogaert

I agree that the Bond program is better, and maybe her PCS is correct, but its in comparison to the top 2 Russian skaters where I have an issue. Both Russians had falls, have less well constructed programs, and yet the judges are telling us that they're considerably better than Higuchi with their marks.
Not to mention the speed and the control of the edges or correct technique on crossovers or basic steps... Japanese skaters are miles ahead of the russian girls !

sap5

I think green is a great color for dresses.
Has anyone really studied whether this color brings bad luck? Offhand I know 2 teams that had bad luck while wearing green, but that doesn't mean much.

MsZem

I see the sea
Has anyone really studied whether this color brings bad luck? Offhand I know 2 teams that had bad luck while wearing green, but that doesn't mean much.
Chartreuse green is fine :)

Also Jason Brown wore green for the Riverdance program.

Barquero/Zandron are wearing what looks like green to me this season, and they got their Olympic ticket which is very nice.

clairecloutier

I agree, and I love that skaters are finally starting to embrace green!!

The Japanese skaters have helped lead the way with this, IMO. Among their early memorable green costumes was Shoma Uno's emerald green velvet look for Turandot. I also liked Rika Kihira's sage green dress in 2019-20.

This season, I really like Olivia Smart's green costume for S/D's Latin free dance. It's unexpected and stylish. I don't know what you would call the color exactly. Celery green?

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I think Alysa's coaching change makes sense, even with the crap timing. Even just the APPEARANCE that her jumps are more secure will be useful for her.

Agreed.

I mean no disrespect to Scali & Abbott, but... they weren't really experienced coaches. Did they even have other athletes at Liu's level? The timing is questionable, sure, but taking into account that Jeremy is still an actively touring skater... I can't fault moving coaches at all.

I'd be interested to see actual numbers for this, though it's hard to shake Toller Cranston's pronouncement of "Green falls."

It looks like celadon green which looks fabulous on her. I really enjoy their FD this season.

I'm honestly shocked at how lovely I find her costume. I hate the colour any day of the week. I had it as a bridesmaid dress for my brother's wedding, and I unfairly referred to it as iceberg lettuce green. I may have to give the wedding photos another, more fair look after all this time.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My opinions on ice dance are very unpopular given I disagree with fan love for almost all the popular teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information