Unpopular Opinions

VGThuy

Eventually there will be a change down the road where nonbinary skaters can compete without choosing a category. I would still like to see an element competition where everyone skates/jumps against each other (ie no mens/ladies)
I can see a lot of cisgender women (myself included) having mixed-to-negative feelings about ridding the Womens event.

On My Own

Virtue/Moir's 2014 Olympics SD is the only one of their programs - from their entire career - that I found interesting from a dance perspective. And Moir's facial expressions worked for the only time in their entire career in that one program, too.

Their Moulin Rouge was horrible, and while they deserved the win overall based off TES, their performance, and the rest of their athleticism, the FD deserved 6s and 7s on Choreo/Interpretation.

VGThuy

Virtue/Moir's 2014 Olympics SD is the only one of their programs - from their entire career - that I found interesting from a dance perspective. And Moir's facial expressions worked for the only time in their entire career in that one program, too.

Their Moulin Rouge was horrible, and while they deserved the win overall based off TES, their performance, and the rest of their athleticism, the FD deserved 6s and 7s on Choreo/Interpretation.
I’m going to ignore the second half of that post but I will say Virtue/Moir’s 2013-14 SD may be my favorite SD/RD of all time. Not OD, mind you. Just when this Frankenstein’s monster started.

My fave SD/RD season generally speaking was the 2015-16 season. I felt most of the choreography from the teams felt organic and the entire Ravensberger Waltz was used and not just the first 15 steps or whatever. Actually, the 2015-16 is actually my favorite year ever of ice dance and yet my second favorite team of all-time wasn’t involved except to make an announcement that they were coming back after 2016 4CC and mess Weaver/Poje up mentally before 2016 Worlds haha.

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Fine. I'll say it. I love tangos.
I even like Tango de Roxanne because it was based on Tanguera . I feel like it's also the closest I ever got to seeing V/M do a proper tango.
My favorite RD / SD season was 2018/2019.

I have an unhealthy need to see P&C win the OGM regardless of how hot or cold I may feel about their programs / performances at any particular instance.

Now that Trusova is injured, ladies is back to being my least favorite discipline.

The Daniel G. thread is making me sad that Tinami is not around to post :(

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Sofia Samodurova should skate as long as she wants to, and as long as her fed gives her opportunities. And her fed should give her as many opportunities as they feel like giving her. How long she competes is between her and them and no one else.

Khaleesi

I’m going to ignore the second half of that post but I will say Virtue/Moir’s 2013-14 SD may be my favorite SD/RD of all time. Not OD, mind you. Just when this Frankenstein’s monster started.

My fave SD/RD season generally speaking was the 2015-16 season. I felt most of the choreography from the teams felt organic and the entire Ravensberger Waltz was used and it just the first 15 steps or whatever. Actually, the 2015-16 is actually my favorite year ever of ice dance and yet my second favorite team of all-time wasn’t involved except to make an announcement that they were coming back after 2016 4CC and mess Weaver/Poje up mentally before 2016 Worlds haha.
I just had to go and rewatch that program on YouTube. It is glorious. IMO no one. And I mean no one (past or present) could do a midline step sequence like V/M could. Even their Latin SD from 2018 which wasn’t my favorite but the midline step alone almost makes up for my dislike of the program. And Prince my personal favorite. With that I’m off to YouTube to watch more of their midline step sequences lol.

Fiero425

Maybe not a quad but a woman can't win without either a quad or 3A thats for sure.

How times have changed! I haven't watched as much as I would have 20 years ago, but catch it "here and again!" Surya Bonaly was supposed to of sacrificed choreography for jumping back in the 90's! She planned on the 3-A in many of those programs; hence going to 2 double A's in all of her programs very early on! We have 2 Triple-A's accomp. and the skater might not even place! Big change in the last decade or so! The change is even more pronounced with the men as Tim Goebel was the original Quad King doing 1 in the SP & 3 in the LP! That's a joke now when I caught Chen doing 6 at the last Olympics! If not for an unimaginable awful SP, he almost pulled off a huge surprise to place! End rant! Been a while! Watching the men in Italy now on Olympic Ch.! :cool: :40beers:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Especially since it always peters out in an embarrassing and awkward way (and yes always, because none of these compositions were designed to be clapped along to).
I hate when that happens!! It's usually when a skater gets the crowd but doesn't have the skills/talent to keep them and then I think it's even worse. You actually have the crowd behind you and in your corner, and you don't do enough to keep their interest/enthusiasm. Awful feeling. I'd die on the ice.

irenemulindwairen

I hate when that happens!! It's usually when a skater gets the crowd but doesn't have the skills/talent to keep them and then I think it's even worse. You actually have the crowd behind you and in your corner, and you don't do enough to keep their interest/enthusiasm. Awful feeling. I'd die on the ice.
😂😂😂

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I’ve actually come to enjoy The Skating Lesson and look forward to their weekly updates 😱
Paola is funny. NakedIce is informative. Koola King.... lol.

TSL has its good points. I just get the feeling Dave thinks he's Wendy Williams and that people actually care about the new shirt he bought, or something gossipy and unrelated to skating. Not interested in anything but the skating, Dave.

firstflight

Especially since it always peters out in an embarrassing and awkward way (and yes always, because none of these compositions were designed to be clapped along to).
Yes! This! I found it so amusing the way the crowd just randomly starts clapping in the middle of Turkkila/Verslius’ lyrical FD at Finlandia and then awkwardly stops a few seconds later because why in the world are you actually clapping to slow, epic-sounding music?

DreamSkates

I would like to see the technical and artistic programs of equal time, say 3 minutes each. For the the technical program, more jumps are required. For the artistic program, fewer jumps are allowed. It seems that the current system requires much more technical effort in the long program.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Eteri's school has destroyed women's skating, and 2014 was the last chance there was to turn it around. That's not unpopular, I know, but those who defend it and talk about code-whoring and the rush of quads are quite often chaos agents who just like to go against the grain for the sake of it. See also: fans of Plushenko's skating. :p

But the real unpopular opinion on that is I think they should raise the age junior skaters switch to Senior up to 18. Might clean A LOT of that up.

See, I feel fairly confident that if Moir hadn't been competing against golden-retriever-in-human-form, Charlie White, he wouldn't have been so widely disliked. Honestly, the way some fans talk, you'd think he'd broken up a marriage or abused animals or something. But I guess brutal honesty is only cool for only certain skaters. :p

briancoogaert

Eteri's school has destroyed women's skating, and 2014 was the last chance there was to turn it around. That's not unpopular, I know, but those who defend it and talk about code-whoring and the rush of quads are quite often chaos agents who just like to go against the grain for the sake of it. See also: fans of Plushenko's skating. :p

But the real unpopular opinion on that is I think they should raise the age junior skaters switch to Senior up to 18. Might clean A LOT of that up.
So true !!!!!!! :40beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information