Unpopular Opinions

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Does anyone think this thread should just be called "Opinions"? There is quite a few "popular" opinions on here. I like reading folks' opinions, it's interesting.

I have been watching some vids of 90s skating...it's really amazing how much advanced these current day skaters have to be as far as required elements..especially in ice dance because the old required elements were very basic. Except in the compulsory dances but they aren't competed anymore in the way they used to be. I actually have been watching skating since the 80s...the technical advancement is extreme but I think the artistry overall has suffered. But who can blame them? They have a lot of technical content to put in there. Thankfully there are still skaters that have beautiful artistry.

DreamSkates

There's also no restraint in Usacheva's skating. Every moment it's another back arch, arm flourish, or something. At a certain point it loses effectiveness, because there are no pauses.
Agreed but don’t judges reward all the extra movements?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Agreed but don’t judges reward all the extra movements?
No. The top tier of Russian women could take 50% of their choreography out and still receive high PCS. Check Trusova free skates, for example.

Duhamel said it best around 2014. She and Radford had one of the most complex pair programs ever with their 2013 short (to this day it still blows my mind how much was going on), and they took a lot of content out in the following seasons yet their PCS, including transitions, went up.

bardtoob

I don't think there should be different rules between the ladies and men's competition now.

I mean we are already at the natural extension to that, which is well known, that females that keep a slender 12-16 year old build (by keeping a very low body fat, which holds off a natural voluptuous mature build) can basically perform the same tricks as a slender 17-24 year old man.

The only female skater I find at all interesting from Russia is Tuktamysheva because her work with Mishin is true scientific development of technique that is generalizable to all skaters.

sadya

I love both great jumps and artistry in 1 program, something which is increasingly difficult to find today. Commentators often say what a great performance a program was, meanwhile I saw great jumps and good or okay skating and did enjoy it, but miss the artistry. Jumps are spectacular and when well done, lovely to watch. Yet, I will watch a program with great artistry more often, even if it doesn't have many great technical elements.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Depends how it's implemented.

Skaters will probably be able to have the best success if they get a rest between jumps, but a competition format in which each skater only performs one jump at a time will have a lot of down time in which audiences will easily get bored. (At least in non-live broadcasts much of that can be edited out.)
Or you could do something like Russia with their Russian Youth Championships Elements Division? A skater has four jumping passes to attain their highest value solo jump and jump combination. I like watching the RYC Elements competitions, and the strategies some girls have, especially if they have ultra jumps.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I don't know what you thought was going on in T & D's Bolero BB but the whole thing looked pretty sinful to me.
At the risk of being indelicate,I suspect you are projecting your own lurid inclinations onto that dance,dear.

Torvil+Dean's Bolero is an artful masterpiece of sacrament between a man and a woman. I see nothing vulgar or sinful in that dance.

-BB

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
At the risk of being indelicate,I suspect you are projecting your own lurid inclinations onto that dance,dear.

Torvil+Dean's Bolero is an artful masterpiece of sacrament between a man and a woman. I see nothing vulgar or sinful in that dance.

-BB

And they were also fully clothed. I C more skin on ice dancers these days than ever

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
1989 Europeans wants a word with you:

Lol and what happened to that ISU rule, that went out of the window like their morals. Lol

Like how the straight guy towards the beginning is like “I don’t seen nothing wrong with it.” Yeah of course you get to see all the T&A you want and you’re satisfied! Lol

What a treasure of a video

DreamSkates

No. The top tier of Russian women could take 50% of their choreography out and still receive high PCS. Check Trusova free skates, for example.

Duhamel said it best around 2014. She and Radford had one of the most complex pair programs ever with their 2013 short (to this day it still blows my mind how much was going on), and they took a lot of content out in the following seasons yet their PCS, including transitions, went up.
Interesting! I don't get into all the scoring so this information is helpful.

DreamSkates

I don't think there should be different rules between the ladies and men's competition now.

I mean we are already at the natural extension to that, which is well known, that females that keep a slender 12-16 year old build (by keeping a very low body fat, which holds off a natural voluptuous mature build) can basically perform the same tricks as a slender 17-24 year old man.

The only female skater I find at all interesting from Russia is Tuktamysheva because her work with Mishin is true scientific development of technique that is generalizable to all skaters.
If the rules are all the same, and some females can complete the same skills as men, then will there eventually be no men's and ladies divisions with everyone competing together? (I'm not saying I'm for or against this, just commenting on a passing thought)

VGThuy

If the rules are all the same, and some females can complete the same skills as men, then will there eventually be no men's and ladies divisions with everyone competing together? (I'm not saying I'm for or against this, just commenting on a passing thought)
Maybe that’s the way of the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information