Unpopular Opinions

mattiecat13

Tanith does a great job providing insight for lower ranked dance teams but not so much for the top teams. Also, I wish she would lighten up a bit - she tries to be so professional she comes across as stiff. Charlie does a good job bringing out her more personable side.

skatingguy

decently
I just categorically don't get the fuss about Wakaba Higuchi, especially when I hear she is underscored on PCS and that she is the best in musical interpretation... I much prefer Kaori.
I think Higuchi has a better overall impression than Sakamoto, particularly with regards to finishing moves, and anything above the ankle. I think they're pretty similar in terms of skating skills, and jump quality, so if they're both clean Highuchi finishes just ahead.

muffinplus

I think Higuchi has a better overall impression than Sakamoto, particularly with regards to finishing moves, and anything above the ankle. I think they're pretty similar in terms of skating skills, and jump quality, so if they're both clean Highuchi finishes just ahead.

I find Higuchi' programs to be very lacking in transitions / complexity... lots of 2 foot skating and longer setups into jumps. Like at IDF today... I made a point of watching her skating in between. Maybe it's just me?

She also sometimes skates through the music.... whereas what I read about her makes it sounds like she is the queen of musical intepretation 🤷

Last edited:

orbitz

I just categorically don't get the fuss about Wakaba Higuchi, especially when I hear she is underscored on PCS and that she is the best in musical interpretation... I much prefer Kaori.
Wakaba's Lion King LP doesn't do anything for me. The program feels so empty and the performance is kind of bland. Her Adele's program when she won World silver medal was a much better vehicle for her.

orbitz

Jason Brown's skating this season bores me. Maybe it's because he's repeating both the SP and LP, and he's not bringing any freshness to either of those programs. Whatever it is, he's one of my refrigerator brake this season.

bladesofgorey

I liked Alena Kostornaia's face bling and costume for the FS

I finally had a chance to watch this and was expecting something completely different based on the reactions here. People have been saying she's an artist from an early age and I guess it was a very narrow description. She's channelling her inner Bowie now, and it's pretty apparent for whatever reason she relates intensely to the Billie Eilish song she's skating to. I mean, the shoulder tattoo is next level commitment. About that shoulder tat- I was very curious about why she close that (English) word and the meaning- was it something someone special had called her, etc. It was a DUH moment when I realized it was the song. About that song, these are the lyrics:

Thought I found a way
Thought I found a way out (found)
But you never go away (never go away)
So I guess I gotta stay now
Oh, I hope some day I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my fear
Isn't it lovely, all alone
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin to bone
Hello, welcome home
Walkin' out of town
Lookin' for a better place (lookin' for a better place)
Something's on my mind (mind)
Always in my head space
But I know some day I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my fear
Isn't it lovely, all alone
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin to bone
Hello, welcome home
Whoa, yeah
Yeah, ah
Whoa, whoa
Hello, welcome home

So yes, angsty teenagers can relate I'm sure but it seems like Alena has been through the wringer these last couple of years and not just the usual teenage drama so I'm all in if she wants to turn that into art. I'm looking forward to how the program develops now that most of the jumps are back looking solid.

topaz

I think this will be the year that the USFSA finally understands that the US ladies are further beyond than they thought. Also, that Japan, Russia and Korea will dominate the next 4+ years.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I’m still confused why this program gets all the raves… she literally skates through it until the step sequence?
I will say she skated that step sequence lights out in France! I loved that part too. But it was so slow and tense before that. The change was so abrupt, it was like someone flipped a light switch.

muffinplus

I will say she skated that step sequence lights out in France! I loved that part too. But it was so slow and tense before that. The change was so abrupt, it was like someone flipped a light switch.
Like, yeah, fair enough... it's just that lots of people think she was HOSED on PCS in interpretation. Anyways, yeah, i rewatched her Bond program, and it's far better. but then I also don't like Lion King programs I suppose.

skatingguy

decently
Like, yeah, fair enough... it's just that lots of people think she was HOSED on PCS in interpretation. Anyways, yeah, i rewatched her Bond program, and it's far better. but then I also don't like Lion King programs I suppose.
I agree that the Bond program is better, and maybe her PCS is correct, but its in comparison to the top 2 Russian skaters where I have an issue. Both Russians had falls, have less well constructed programs, and yet the judges are telling us that they're considerably better than Higuchi with their marks.

muffinplus

I agree that the Bond program is better, and maybe her PCS is correct, but its in comparison to the top 2 Russian skaters where I have an issue. Both Russians had falls, have less well constructed programs, and yet the judges are telling us that they're considerably better than Higuchi with their marks.
Well, her program didn't have many complex(?) transitions ( and longer jumps setups), and I thought a lot less one foot skating than Shcherbakova's program So I guess don't see too much of problem with her PCS in comparison to Anna except for skating skills. (edited; Aliona's program was also fairly empty but I haven't really compared with Wakaba's)

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Oftentimes, rhinestones, crystals, and sparkle cheapen a dress and make it look like teenage prom/beauty pageant rather than tasteful fashion.
A lot of the women's costumes now are just too busy as well - the most money can buy rather than the best. In the "best dressed" thread I gave Korpi/Lepisto/Poykio and Akiko Suzuki as skaters who got it right in the past, and I'll also add Yuna Kim in her OGM season. I don't really see anyone who's up to that standard among current skaters.

Ice dancers generally have better costumes.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

Personally I prefer Kaori too but I find Wakaba's upper body control much better. In terms of transitions I think both Wakaba's programs this year are fine. (Her Poeta FS last year was noticeably empty.)

muffinplus

Personally I prefer Kaori too but I find Wakaba's upper body control much better. In terms of transitions I think both Wakaba's programs this year are fine. (Her Poeta FS last year was noticeably empty.)
I made a point to rewatch her FS to see how much one foot skating she does in the program, and if she has any turns/steps/MITF preceding her jumps…it wasn’t great TBH?. But yeah Poeta was not good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information