Unexpected Entries to Jumps

On My Own

Also, her jump technique is a joy to watch, including a 3Lz from steps with a solid outside edge that I would presume was going to actually be a 2A from steps until she does one additional step.

What are some other unexpected entries to jumps over the years?

On My Own

Midori Ito's entrance into her 2A during her 1987-88 SP.

Yes, it was actually pointed out in the commentary, as you linked. There have been a few 3As out of the same step since then...

Would you say this is? Goes more sideways than I expect from a lutz set up, and the preceding transition (layback ina bauer) totally makes me think it's going to be an edge jump.

Last edited:

screech

I want to say Patrick Chan, and I want to say it was in a FP, but I remember someone actually entering a double axel from forwards (no back edge before stepping into the entry), but I can't seem to remember, and I can't seem to find it.

Not really unexpected, since he's on a long back outside edge, but Viktor Petrenko's entry into his solo 3A in his 1990 SP has a spiral-esque stretch on the back edge that you didn't really see 30+ years ago. (Also, the two triple axels he did in that program are probably the most gorgeous triple axels I've ever seen).

Though it became very connected to him, You've also got to think the gorgeous spread eagle Brian Boitano would do into his lutz would count.

This entry into a triple salchow/triple loop done by Jeff Langdon makes it seem like he's going into a flip jump instead.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This has to be one of my all-time favorites, and I've cited it here so many times by this point but it always comes to mind.

Ingrida Snieskiene of Lithuania had a completely forward entry into her 2A:

This entry was ambitious as hell, and something that wasn't in the program earlier in the season IIRC, and we see the result:

The spiral directly into a 3-turn looks simple but it's not. This program as a whole is also absolutely glorious

It's been done by several skaters, but here's a LBO spiral before stepping into her 2A:

Last edited:

gkelly

I want to say Patrick Chan, and I want to say it was in a FP, but I remember someone actually entering a double axel from forwards (no back edge before stepping into the entry), but I can't seem to remember, and I can't seem to find it.
Not sure about the example you're thinking of, but here are a couple:

Just holding a looong FO edge before jumping:

BI to FO spiral, FO change of foot:

And speaking of double axels,

bardtoob

For it's time, I think it was really surprising to see a woman integrate a 2A within field moves the way Peggy Fleming did, although it now probably seems like a natural set-up that is directly and specifically rewarded by the IJS as a difficult entry.

She started doing it in the 1965-66 season.

Here is a similar program from the 1964-65 season without it.

Last edited:

Allskate

Jason Brown hasn't actually done this in a competitive program, but it's a fun entry - and certainly would qualify as an "unexpected entry" -- into a triple loop:

On My Own

For it's time, I think it was really surprising to see a woman integrate a 2A within field moves the way Peggy Fleming did,
Was it less surprising for men?
It is important to note that this would have fulfilled a requirement in the SP up to 1992.
Would it really have despite being so disconnected? I agree it's great for its time, I'm just curious about this one part of your post.

bardtoob

Would it really have despite being so disconnected? I agree it's great for its time, I'm just curious about this one part of your post.
It flows well enough to not incur a deduction.

Was it less surprising for men?
I don't know that any men were doing anything like that back then.

Last edited:

bardtoob

On My Own

😢 Per ISU Communication No. 2176
I meant when the rule existed, pre 2018-19. I was usually confused as to why a SP solo jump lacking in steps got high GOE. So I wondered if it was a case of "It flows well enough to not incur a deduction" in the minds of some judges, stuck in 6.0 mentality.
I don't know that any men were doing anything like that back then.
Thanks for the answer.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I meant when the rule existed, pre 2018-19. I was usually confused as to why a SP solo jump lacking in steps got high GOE. So I wondered if it was a case of "It flows well enough to not incur a deduction" in the minds of some judges, stuck in 6.0 mentality.

Short Program of the season 2017 – 2018 must include 2 solo jumps:
− double or triple Axel for Senior & Junior Men and for Senior Ladies, double Axel for Junior Ladies;
− a jump immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements:
A single spread eagle, spiral/Free Skating movement cannot be considered as meeting the requirements of connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements the lack of which must be considered by the Judges in the GOE.

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...2017-18-singles-tp-handbook-updatedaug15/file

So that quotes the rule book. Why it wasn't enforced consistently is all political.

bardtoob

:rofl: I think that counts as a jump combination, split flip - 3 Sal, by the standards back then :rofl:

Last edited:

Marco

Klimkin used to do a camel spin combination right into a 3sal.

Buttle used to do an entire field moves sequence right into a 3sal, in his 2002-3 program - it was a beautiful program, alas the program was entirely too complicated for it to be skated remotely cleanly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information