U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
How can that help her understand the sport better when the term has nothing to do with the sport?
Because people in the sport of figure skating refer to it as such? And it's pretty universal to be honest. I'm not on here talking about Rittbergers and Cherry Flips.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Because people in the sport of figure skating refer to it as such? And it's pretty universal to be honest. I'm not on here talking about Rittbergers and Cherry Flips.
Really, who? And please do not cite a fan posting on twitter or yourself...because you are no more a person 'in the sport of figure skating' than I am and...I am not. Please show me where Alysa Liu, Nathan Chen or members of their respective teams or Eteri G has ever used the term. Your term is the equivalent of when casual tennis fans refer to Wimbledon as WimbleTON, the only thing it demonstrates is your lack of knowledge about the sport.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Really, who? And please do not cite a fan posting on twitter or yourself...because you are no more a person 'in the sport of figure skating' than I am and...I am not. Please show me where Alysa Liu, Nathan Chen or members of their respective teams or Eteri G has ever used the term. Your term is the equivalent of when casual tennis fans refer to Wimbledon as WimbleTON, the only thing it demonstrates is your lack of knowledge about the sport.
Umm, no. But your tone sounds off, so I won't indulge.

Last edited:

bladesofgorey

Figure skaters and coaches in the U.S. past and present do not use this term. They just don't. I can't speak for other countries (I believe someone said Russian skates and coaches do, so I am curious is that is so) but it's not a term that has applied or now applies to figure skating here and I doubt it ever will because it's so vague. "Most difficult" is actually more precise than this term, and can be applied to both the men's and women's fields. It's a fandom term, introduced because a lot of gymnastics fans (where the term made sense) are also figure skating fans. But it's not a term that makes any sense for people involved in the sport themselves.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Ted Barton in March 2020 "Would you like to see quadruples in a ladies’ short program?

– Oh sure. I have no prejudice about quads in ladies skating. They can do them. And not just young girls. Take, for example, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Just look what she did. For me, this is generally one of the most outstanding things that have ever happened. Elizaveta seemed to think: “Well, it looks like I need to do quads.” And she learned them. So it’s not worth saying that only little girls can perform ULTRA-C elements."

Unless you consider Ted Barton an internet/Twitter hack, then your comments are wrong, misleading, and snotty. Imagine a hack like Ted going around commentating all these competitions, and to you he talks like an ignorant, casual skating fan hack who lacks in skating "knowledge".... Yeah sure, whatever floats your boat, Maxim. But it's okay. You do you. I won't judge. Just roll my eyes with a bored look.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Evgenia Medvedeva in 2017 (okay it's not Eteri, Maxim, but she was Med's star pupil or is she just some skating internet hack who is no more "in the sport of figure skating" like us, right?

"Do you want to try a quad jump?

– I think that it is possible to do a quadruple jump. As practice shows, a woman’s body is capable of this. Over the years, girls have been performing ULTRA-C ELEMENTS.

So it’s quite possible, if you will work on this. The main thing is to prepare your body for this. And not only the body, you should also be mentally prepared. I tried with a belay, but haven’t jumped it myself yet."

Is Evgenia just another skating hack from Twitter to you, Maxim? And presumably Med's coach, since she had to learn the word somewhere at the rink.... I'll keep looking for it straight from Eteri's mouth to satisfy your obnoxious request.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Top 3 in the Senior SP at the Middle Atlantics club comp. in NYC tonight (protocols are not yet online now): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30093/SEGM001.html

Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey 73.77 [41.19 / 32.58] - 2A, 3F, 3Lz+3T & all level 4s
Lindsay Thorngren, SC of New York 72.18 [41.58 / 30.60] - 3F, 2A, 3Lz+3T & all level 4s
Rena Ikenishi, SC of New York 65.66 - 3S+3T, 3F, 2A
Skating Club of New York shared a Senior women's podium photo from last night: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTug0JMLrri/
1st - Isabeau Levito, SC of Southern New Jersey 219.89 (146.12 in FS, 7 clean triples)
2nd - Lindsay Thorngren, SCNY 202.37 (130.19 in FS, 3A<<, deduction was for a time violation deduction)
3rd - Rena Ikenishi, SCNY 168.53
FS protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30093/SEGM002.html

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Sasha Trusova after 2021 Worlds in Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Alexandra Trusova for rt.com `It would be cool to land a 4loop'

"
EV: What was the first feeling after the SP where you failed the combo - a shock?
AT: I was telling before the Worlds both the coaches and the parents should I remove the ultra C elements from the programme I'll certainly make a mistake on something easy. I know myself very well in that. It never works that I take out all the ultra C and then skate clean. It's easier for me to set myself for a skate when the programme is harder."

Last edited:

Lacey

Well, now you know Lacey, and can understand the sport better and can better contribute to our online community! It's a win for you and everyone.
I don't know what your real name is, so I won't use it, but I think there are enough people on this board who agree with me here that I further bring this up:

The structure and meaning of your whole sentence doesn't make sense written as:

"Well, now you know Lacey" --

My answer is: Yes, I do know Lacey because that is me.

I think your phrase doesn't mean what you intended it to...

I think you meant to write: Well (useless), (comma) now you know, (comma) Lacey, etc. and so on...
you can see my point if you can understand punctuation and grammar.

Why don't you work on that and leave the skating terms to people who know skating or use the right words.

My point is I and many people who have posted here will not now or ever use Ultra or Ultra C. A Triple Axel or Quad Jump is just that. I don't think we can or should change skating lingo just because one commentator or a random fan think it's cute. Those words don't seem to be shortcuts--they are not short, they don't make sense. In fact, IMO you two are taking something away from the skaters' assessments with your unintelligible words. Moreover, I don't think you can tell me or others to use your preferred choices. Obviously you can stick with them if you want, but don't try to influence us, don't expect us to understand because IMHO skating people use skating terms. End of paragraph.

You said about me, and I quote: "and can understand the sport better and can better contribute to our online community! It's a win for you and everyone."

I say: I have 2 daughters w. 3 Gold Medals and beyond in the USFS test structure--was even on my way myself until I retired, so I do know the sport just fine and I contribute very well. Don't insult me, I've already won.

And back to US Women's skating...which I think is the direction where this blob of a distraction you have created should go: I can't wait to hear more about Alysa Liu's, Isabeau Levito's and the other American women's skating this season, especially these younger ones, in normal skating speak. So far I have been tremendously impressed by them, and it is only the beginning of the season. Let's keep it about them!

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Evgenia Medvedeva in 2017 (okay it's not Eteri, Maxim, but she was Med's star pupil or is she just some skating internet hack who is no more "in the sport of figure skating" like us, right?

"Do you want to try a quad jump?

– I think that it is possible to do a quadruple jump. As practice shows, a woman’s body is capable of this. Over the years, girls have been performing ULTRA-C ELEMENTS.

So it’s quite possible, if you will work on this. The main thing is to prepare your body for this. And not only the body, you should also be mentally prepared. I tried with a belay, but haven’t jumped it myself yet."

Is Evgenia just another skating hack from Twitter to you, Maxim? And presumably Med's coach, since she had to learn the word somewhere at the rink.... I'll keep looking for it straight from Eteri's mouth to satisfy your obnoxious request.

Can we get this thread back on track with Amber Glenn and the goddess that she is please

❤️🍪🙆🏻‍♂️🍿

Vagabond

Sasha Trusova after 2021 Worlds in Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Alexandra Trusova for rt.com `It would be cool to land a 4loop'

"
EV: What was the first feeling after the SP where you failed the combo - a shock?
AT: I was telling before the Worlds both the coaches and the parents should I remove the ultra C elements from the programme I'll certainly make a mistake on something easy. I know myself very well in that. It never works that I take out all the ultra C and then skate clean. It's easier for me to set myself for a skate when the programme is harder."
Is that your own translation?

Here is what it says in Russian.
ещё до чемпионата мира говорила и тренерам, и родителям, что если не буду делать в короткой программе ничего сложного, то обязательно ошибусь в лёгком. В этом отношении я знаю себя очень хорошо. Ну не бывает у меня так, чтобы всю сложность убрать — и идеально откататься. Настраиваться на выступление при сложной программе мне проще.
And here's how Google translates it.
Even before the World Cup, I told both coaches and parents that if I didn't do anything difficult in the short program, I would definitely be mistaken in the easy one. In this respect, I know myself very well. Well, it never happens for me to remove all the complexity - and skate perfectly. It's easier for me to tune in to perform with a complex program.

Sylvia

TBD
Can we get this thread back on track with Amber Glenn and the goddess that she is please
You saw that Amber got her ISU Challenger assignment, right? :)

I've seen glimpses of Karen, Amber & Mariah at the NBC/Team USA Winter Olympics promo shoot in Irvine, California this weekend (assume Bradie is there too and that Alysa will get her own session after she returns home from Europe).

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Alexei Mishin, in an interview posted on FSU on May 1, 2021:

"
- When the quarantine is over, how will you go out, start working? There are fears that athletes will not have time to fully prepare for the next season?
- I can draw an analogy, although any analogy is not 100% accurate. I recall our outstanding skaters of the past - Chetverukhin, Ovchinnikov, Bobrin, and others, they were also at the forefront and did extremely difficult elements of their time. So, then the holidays were long. Some went on vacation alone or with their parents; there were some wellness camps. Then, when the athletes returned, sometimes it happened that the ice rinks had not yet worked, they "drowned" the ice. It turned out, in total, the athletes didn't skate on the ice for about a month and a half, or even more. But a week or 10 days later, they practiced their difficult elements - the ULTRA-C of that time."

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Is that your own translation?
Unfortunately, I can only recognize the Cyrillic alphabet, so I relied on the translator, either on FSU or before it was posted here. Maxim asked for examples, so I'm giving 'em. It just seems strange that Trusova, Mishin, Medvedeva having been quoted using "Ultra-C" terminology and others are thinking that only hacks outside the sport are using the term or even knows what it means. Or something like that.... Besides, Vag, my first quote was TED BARTON. I don't think there is a language translation problem there, do you? And I'm sorry, but you can go to ANY rink in America and go up to any competitive skater and ask if they are working on any Ultra-C jumps, and they won't act like they have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
TAT interview, December 2019: https://fs-gossips.com/tatiana-tara...rning-ultra-c-elements-are-terrible-nonsense/

Tatiana Tarasova: "Everything is fair. It is clear that not only we learn the ultra-c jumps."
"Did Liu won only because of 3,5 axel? Of course! Tomorrow (in the free program) she will jump two quadruple lutzes. And those who say that it is not necessary to learn the ultra-c elements are pests, people who either do not understand due to their incompetence, or simply want to harm. You can’t stop, you just have to go forward."

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Language is not stagnant. It evolves. People did not use the term Ultra-C in the past, but now they do. So what? Why do people care so much that other people use this term to describe 3axel or quads in women’s skating?

Like all new terms in language, you don’t know the meaning and then you do, and then you might start using it. Why are people so resistant to the very idea of learning new terms?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Language is not stagnant. It evolves. People did not use the term Ultra-C in the past, but now they do. So what? Why do people care so much that other people use this term to describe 3axel or quads in women’s skating?

Like all new terms in language, you don’t know the meaning and then you do, and then you might start using it. Why are people so resistant to the very idea of learning new terms?
Exactly. Instead some people decide to go online and bitchily accuse people who use the terminology as being merely internet fans who are only demonstrating their "lack of knowledge about the sport" and can not possibly be "a person 'in the sport of figure skating'". At least Maxim has publicly admitted he is said description, and I won't argue with him on that point.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Alysa Liu produces the best performances by an American in ages this weekend and THIS is the dominant conversation?

People,slowly back away from the dictionaries and AP Style Guide. Call your local pharmacist for strong mood stabilizers,watch Miss Liu's stunning programs, and let us move on.

Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.

-BB

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

I don't ever use 'ultra-c' (I tend to always abbreviate the triples and quads as 3/4 anyways) but I get a kick out of the debates that have come out of this several times now on FSU. There is plenty of language used on this board that most other skating fans would 'WTF, that's not a thing' and I find this no different. :lol: Imagine the Twitter trolls learning things like 'voidy' and then arguing amongst themselves for an hour about how it doesn't make sense.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
People,slowly back away from the dictionaries and AP Style Guide. Call your local pharmacist for strong mood stabilizers,watch Miss Liu's stunning programs, and let us move on.

Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.
They said they need a prescription Brenda. :drama:

Vagabond

Unfortunately, I can only recognize the Cyrillic alphabet, so I relied on the translator, either on FSU or before it was posted here. Maxim asked for examples, so I'm giving 'em. It just seems strange that Trusova, Mishin, Medvedeva having been quoted using "Ultra-C" terminology and others are thinking that only hacks outside the sport are using the term or even knows what it means. Or something like that.... Besides, Vag, my first quote was TED BARTON. I don't think there is a language translation problem there, do you?
Yes, I do.

The interview was conducted by Russian journalists and translated (back) into English on the webpage to which you linked.

Here's the original interview:

It's thirty-one minutes long. Please let me know if he uses the term "Ultra C."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information