U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Has Alysa been training any UltraCs, that we know? She doesn’t need them at Lombardia or even at Nebelhorn but may be essential down the season.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Has Alysa been training any UltraCs, that we know? She doesn’t need them at Lombardia or even at Nebelhorn but may be essential down the season.
she has triple axel already back, she improved her skating skills.
its better this way , build momentum, the real test will be the grand prix on how she will handle pressure.

She now US clear No.1 bet.

dancing_on_ice

Alysa has for sure been training the triple axel regularly. She's posted videos of her landing both the triple axel and quad lutz on Instagram, she attempted the triple axel at Cranberry in the free skate and she was apparently practicing it at Champs Camp too. The quad lutz is a bit more unknown. She hasn't attempted it in competition so far, and there doesn't seem to be record of her practicing it recently.

Honestly, her current strategy is working really well. To stand out in the US Ladies field, Alysa just needs consistency and clean triple-triples, which she has. She got a monstrous score at Lombardia considering she didn't jump a 3A and this was her senior international debut. USFS is definitely all onboard the Alysa Liu hype train again, and why shouldn't they be? In these summer competitions, Alysa has already proven herself. Many of the other US ladies are currently injured or have shown major consistency issues. With the political push of USFS behind her, Alysa's PCS can only rise as the season progresses.

Sylvia

TBD
Top 3 in the Senior SP at the Middle Atlantics club comp. in NYC tonight (protocols are not yet online now): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30093/SEGM001.html

Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey 73.77 [41.19 / 32.58] - 2A, 3F, 3Lz+3T & all level 4s
Lindsay Thorngren, SC of New York 72.18 [41.58 / 30.60] - 3F, 2A, 3Lz+3T & all level 4s
Rena Ikenishi, SC of New York 65.66 - 3S+3T, 3F, 2A

ETA that I was told that Gracie did not show up / did not make the trip to NYC to compete.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Does anybody know the nature of Gracie Gold’s withdrawal from Mid-Atlantics tonight? Asking as she’s a huge fan-fave & many of us have been tracking her comeback. Hope that Gracie is ok! 🤞 🙏 (Hope that it was just some silly equipment failure as happened to Yaro at Lombardia, for ex.)

Last edited:

mtnskater

You can watch her ISU Challenger Series debut here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4papVecYLww

I‘m just so drawn in by Alyssa’s skating. She’s a ball of energy and charisma. All elements are done so well with tons of attention to detail. She’s perfectly packaged with this short program. It’s jammed packed with transitions and very exciting. Amazing how much improvement she has made in her overall skating ability in a short time during a major growth spurt and pandemic shut downs. She always seems to be enjoying herself and having a great time. Mad respect for her!

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Alyssa did not jump the triple axle at the short program at cranberry. She did attempted in the long program and she did practice it. It seems pretty clear that it’s not consistent enough yet for the short program and that seems like a pretty valid strategy. Putting it in the long program when it’s not super consistent is one thing. Putting it in the short program is a bad plan.

mattiecat13

Does anybody know the nature of Gracie Gold’s withdrawal from Mid-Atlantics tonight? Asking as she’s a huge fan-fave & many of us have been tracking her comeback. Hope that Gracie is ok! 🤞 🙏 (Hope that it was just some silly equipment failure as happened to Yaro at Lombardia, for ex.)

Does this mean Gracie has no chance to go to Nationals?

Sylvia

TBD
Does this mean Gracie has no chance to go to Nationals?
No, Middle Atlantics is "just" a club competition - another opportunity to compete before qualifying season starts next month.

BTW, I've updated my post #518 above now that the Mids SP protocols are online - I believe this is the first time Levito and Thorngren are skating in the same competition at the senior level.

Clips from Alysa's FS run through this morning in Bergamo (3A in first clip): https://www.instagram.com/p/CTrI4oUIKIo/

Frau Muller

So why did Gracie Gold withdraw from Mid-Atlantic’s last night? Did she at least skate part of her SP before stopping (a la Yaro Paniot in Italy yesterday)?

S

SmallFairy

I will cross post my own words from the Lombardia thread in here:

I'm going to stick my head out and say I prefer Alyssa to any of the Russian ladies I saw at test skates today.... She's so powerful in her skating, and seems to enjoy it immensely.

Debbie S

So why did Gracie Gold withdraw from Mid-Atlantic’s last night? Did she at least skate part of her SP before stopping (a la Yaro Paniot in Italy yesterday)?
Withdrawals from club comps are common. There could have been a number of (non-alarming) reasons.

Alysa landed an ultra-c triple axel in her long at Lombardia.
She landed it, but it was called <. Hopefully, she can get it fully rotated by GP season.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Wow Alysa has had an Angela – like transformation over this past year. I feel like I'm watching a ballerina with Grace and artistry and all of the powerhouse elements. I love her arm movement now.

And her arm movement and positions in the last element the layback was spectacular. This was a level three, not a level four? What in the world would she had to do to get a level four? do a costume change on the fifth revolution?

Her first two years at nationals I could tell I was looking at a girl who was skating the big tricks and happy to be there. Now I feel I'm looking at a woman who owns the whole joint.

I think she's now the most artistic of all the USA Women

There are people on the YouTube commented that the long program music is not for her it's too much music for her. I completely completely disagree this long program is so excellent for her. They have to be Russians that said this. Lol

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I’m looking forward to tracking Alysa’s progress this fall. Skate Canada should tell a lot, when she goes up against Valieva, Tuk, Kihira and others with potential to be on national Olympic teams and, if so, be in the final 6 in Beijing.

olympic

Just to add, Jackie Wong tweeted that it looked like her 3A was about a 1/4 turn, so it was quite close.

ETA - I was quite happy, then I took a look at the Russian Test Skates :eek:. No one is touching them this year, whomever is selected for Beijing could sweep the podium

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Well, I have been a fan for 70 years, and I have no idea what Ultra or Ultra-C are, never heard of them.
Well, now you know Lacey, and can understand the sport better and can better contribute to our online community! It's a win for you and everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information