U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Joesph Klein (2022 U.S. Junior Men's pewter medalist) has joined EcoAthletes.org:
Excerpt:
Klein is not at all satisfied; his sights are set very high.
“My short-term goal is to make the U.S. senior team for the 2023 World Championships,” he said matter-of-factly. “Longer-term, I’m going for the 2026 Olympics in Italy. Now it’s up to me improve the technical aspects of my skating to match my artistic strengths.”
Klein also believes the time is now for him to step up and take climate action — in fact, that has always been the case.
“I’ve been pro climate action as far back as I can remember,” the high school junior stated. “I wrote an essay, ‘Climate Change and polar bears’, back in fifth grade. [...]
With Klein’s busy practice and school schedules — he is working towards earning acceptance to universities where he would have access to skating rinks and coaches while studying politics and economics — it’s not easy to keep up the pace of his activism. But the scale and scope of the climate crisis pushes him to keep going.
“While it’s not easy to balance everything, I do feel like I’m making a difference,” noted Klein. [... ] I’m interning with Green Wave. And I talk climate when I can with my competitors. The results are mixed — one is a Sunrise volunteer, some of the others are not really that interested, and a few coaches are…let’s just call them skeptical. But that doesn’t stop me — you know, it doesn’t hurt to ask!”

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think it was especially nice because Hetty was criticized quite a bit during Pyeongchang for reportedly advising Nathan on his SP layout there. So, it was just nice to see that she and Nathan were able to move on from that, and share a happy moment after he finally won in Beijing.
I've occasionally thought that Nathan should be studying diplomacy instead of data science, what with the way he learned to navigate between Raf and his mom and keep everyone happy and accomplish his goals. :D

YukiNieve

skatfan

sk9tingfan

Not surprising. When would he even get programs with all the tours and shows?
If Nathan is seriously considering medical school and if he has not done his lab sciences while moving into the higher-level data science and statistics courses, he would have no time to put in the training hours to be at the top of his game.

sheetz

If Nathan is seriously considering medical school and if he has not done his lab sciences while moving into the higher-level data science and statistics courses, he would have no time to put in the training hours to be at the top of his game.
Nathan has talked about entering a post bacc program to complete his Med school requirements after finish his bachelor's degree.

Debbie S

Sounds like he's ultimately going the MD/PhD path, pursuing medical informatics. He has a long path ahead of him.
Or he could be majoring in stats/data science b/c the subject interests him (and I imagine any doctor needs to understand stats and how to interpret data). Many pre-meds major in subjects other than bio or chem.

sk9tingfan

Or he could be majoring in stats/data science b/c the subject interests him (and I imagine any doctor needs to understand stats and how to interpret data). Many pre-meds major in subjects other than bio or chem.
In my experience, not many physicians care if results are statistically significant or not, based on the number of anecdotal observations and the tendency to use drugs on an off-label basis. Nathan appears to be rather atypical.

floridaice

In my experience, not many physicians care if results are statistically significant or not, based on the number of anecdotal observations and the tendency to use drugs on an off-label basis. Nathan appears to be rather atypical.
I disagree. Evidence based medicine is all about statistically significant results. Granted, how a particular patient responds to a specific treatment will impact decisions on an overall treatment plan, don't dismiss that as an anecdotal observation. It's an observation by a trained clinician. Anecdotal falls more in the 'my neighbor's cousin's best friend's Mother's territory. Even in off-label situations.

Unfortunately, there are those who fit your experience. If you find yourself being treated by one, run.

sk9tingfan

I disagree. Evidence based medicine is all about statistically significant results. Granted, how a particular patient responds to a specific treatment will impact decisions on an overall treatment plan, don't dismiss that as an anecdotal observation. It's an observation by a trained clinician. Anecdotal falls more in the 'my neighbor's cousin's best friend's Mother's territory. Even in off-label situations.

Unfortunately, there are those who fit your experience. If you find yourself being treated by one, run.
Started creating white papers on evidence-based medicine, circa 1998; well versed in the creation of software incorporating same since then.

Just a historical note, chances are that physicians would not follow evidence-based protocols were it not for NCQA and CMS guidelines and quality metrics used for payment and/or healthcare system and/or physician group assessment. I've seen the battle evolve since around 1972 and worked with some of the pioneers in the field. Sorry if I am the ultimate cynic but perhaps the new generations who have not known other than this environment are different.

Last edited:

mtnskater

Nathan, always a handsome guy, looks extra handsome in the Time video and photoshoot! Love that haircut on him. So special that his mom is also included in the video. He rightfully belongs in the Time top 100. Such a role model of class, grace, hard work and achievement! Sorely needed in this time of incivility, ego and narcissism.

Sylvia

TBD
Vincent will converse with Michelle Hong on USFS’ IG Live today at 2 pm ET/11 AM PT (for both AAPI Heritage & Mental Health Awareness Month in May): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8cVyQLN0A/

ETA the replay video link (19 mins.) - Vincent did this chat while on the SOI tour bus: https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cd_bdg0phu0/

Also, Vincent spoke with NBC Bay Area Digital Correspondent Abbey Fernandez one day before his San Jose SOI performance this past Sunday:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Among the Professional Skaters Association awards announced last night (per updated PSA webpages):

- 2022 Coach of the Year:
Rafael Arutyunyan, Vera Arutyunyan, Nadia Kanaeva​

- 2022 Developmental Coach of the Year:
Tatyana Malinina & Roman Skornyakov​

- Maxim Naumov is a recipient of 2022 Presidents Excellence Award
One award is given for each of the nine USFS regions.
One of the winners is: "Athlete Centered Coaching Team- Garrett Lucash, Sean Marshinski, Anne Goldberg-Baldwin, Maxim Naumov"
I take it that Maxim has been involved in coaching at the same time that he continues his own competitive career?
(Not saying that it would be unusual -- I just was not in the loop that Maxim has been an example of doing both. Good for him. :))​

Congratulations to all!

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I agree to a point. I know medical doctors (where I live there aren't a ton of choices) who don't keep up with the latest research but I suppose a family doctor can't. So I make sure I do alot of reading on whatever I think is affecting my health. I don't take medications just because a medical doctor says I should. I review current research.

Sylvia

TBD
Among the Professional Skaters Association awards announced last night (per updated PSA webpages)
Thanks! A separate GSD thread for the 2022 PSA award winners is here:
- Maxim Naumov is a recipient of 2022 Presidents Excellence Award
I take it that Maxim has been involved in coaching at the same time that he continues his own competitive career?​
(Not saying that it would be unusual -- I just was not in the loop that Maxim has been an example of doing both. Good for him. :))​
Naumov hasn't competed since last year (won bronze at the August 2021 Cranberry Cup and 6th in the U.S. Classic a month later - both were Senior Bs). He later withdrew from what would have been his Grand Prix debut at 2021 Rostelecom Cup due to an unspecified injury and then from 2022 Nationals as well :( so presumably he's had extra time to coach at his home rink, which is good to see.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Excerpt from the article:
Shinohara, who trains at the Chicago Figure Skating Club under Jeremy Allen and Denise Myers, revealed the programs he will use for the coming season during the extensive conversation with Ice Time.
“My free skate this season is to Game of Thrones and was choreographed by Benoit Richaud,” Shinohara commented. “My short program is Amore by Ryuichi Sakamoto and was arranged by Rohene Ward.”
Shinohara indicated that he looked forward to working with the highly successful Richaud, who choreographed for him at the Skating Club of Boston in March.
“It is my first year with him, so I wanted to know his style,” Shinohara noted. “I am also a young skater, so I wanted to try different kinds of choreography.”
Taira's 2022 Challenge Cup vlog in both Japanese & English (he won the Junior bronze medal in his Team USA debut in Tilburg NED this past February): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYgURIYTLA

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information