U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Man, I never scrambled for my glasses so fast on a Monday morning :lol:

No question it's around. Incredibly impressive, and with this being the start of May, and the first comps at which it could be ratified still three or so months away, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that that fiddly little step out could well be taken care of by then. This could easily be ratified if reproduced in competition.

Hopefully USFS has security on hand, though...

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Very impressive. But to do it in a program and to catch it for a video for instagram are two very different kettle of fish
I doubt he will try it in big competitons (soon)
Did Hanyu ever land it rotated even in practice?

On My Own

The Fanyu is probably the strangest fan group I've ever encountered
*worst

My favorite is they're claiming Ghislain has videos of him jumping it rotated in practice. Sure, he just so happened to jump a 4A<< in Japanese Nationals for the sake of drama, and fell on a 4A< at the Olympics despite being able to rotate it (whoops, sorry, forgot it was 4Aq and there was a conspiracy to not give him the full base value).

Sylvia

TBD
Vincent spoke to FSO before the 4/29 Hershey Stars on Ice show - this article, also posted in his fan thread, recaps his season and looks ahead (May 11):
Zhou said he hasn’t decided yet what he plans to study, but says he will most likely be majoring in economics. Zhou said he would eventually like to start his own business.
“I’m interested in like entrepreneurship,” he shared. “I want to use my sports background, because all the knowledge and experience I’ve gained over the years is too valuable to just put aside and take up something completely different, in my opinion.”
Though Zhou plans to focus solely on his academics in the fall, he states he hasn’t retired from competitive skating and hasn’t ruled out another competitive season. The new Skating Club of Boston facility, which opened in 2020 in the Norwood, Massachusetts, is only about a hour away from the Brown University campus.
“We’ll see,” he said of his future plans in the skating.
Today USFS tweeted this clip (with supportive Camden :)) & article link:

Nathan, Vincent, Jason and Ilia have been invited to perform in THE ICE tour in Japan in late July:
Nathan will also make a guest appearance July 1-3 in "Dreams on Ice" shows near Tokyo while Jason has "Fantasy on Ice" shows in Kobe and Shizuoka in June.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Straight to US Classic please USFS, and any other Bs. Heck, is there a B event that meets the standard before US Classic?

Sylvia

TBD
Heck, is there a B event that meets the standard before US Classic?
The ISU hasn't published the 2022-23 ISU calendar of figure skating competitions so we don't yet know any of the Senior Bs (like the inaugural Cranberry Cup last year in Norwood, MA for singles/pairs).

USFS also posted Malinin's 4A clip as an Instagram reel and Max Aaron commented, simply, "Wow!!!" :D: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdeK3sLJEVG/
Michael Weiss' comment: "Holy effin Holy HOLY !!!! 💪🏼"

On My Own

US classic needs to have extra security if he goes, not just after he lands it. Regularly checking the ice for beads, especially before he skates.

Trillian

Apparently some of them are taking the view that they will "ignore" his "pathetic attempts at PR".

“Pathetic attempts at PR” is a weird way to say “successful attempts at 4A,” but good for them I guess. ;)

I agree that it’s going to be worse - in terms of the small subset of crazies - once he actually does it. I’m assuming Instagram probably has a privacy setting that would allow him to turn off DMs from people he doesn’t follow? I’d say that’s a good idea for any teenager but might be extra good in his case. I have a feeling that like a lot of newly-famous people, he’s going to want to be less accessible online very soon.

Sylvia

TBD
One of the Jump camp participants, Apple Lee, shared this photo yesterday with Ilia Malinin, Camden Pulkinen (2 of the demonstrators) & Vincent Zhou (believe he answered questions on a panel with the other 2 last night before returning to the SOI tour): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdesGH-rX32/
Jimmy Ma is also in Colorado Springs as a jump demonstrator with his coach, Aleksey Letov.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
"Nathan Chen Day" will be proclaimed in Utah today (before the SOI show in SLC) and here's Phil Hersh's latest about Nathan's upcoming plans, including returning to Yale:
Chen also said he had not even spoken to his coach, Rafael Arutunian, since the Olympics.
“After Stars on Ice is over, it will be great to talk to Raf to see what he thinks, what I think, what my parents think, what my family thinks – and then kind of go from there,” Chen said.
When Stars ends, Chen will have a month before his next skating commitment, four “Dreams on Ice” shows in Yokohama, Japan, in early July. He will be back in Japan in late July for a nine-show, three-city tour called “The Ice.”
The other major item on his agenda for the summer is a Hawaii vacation with his parents and four siblings, one of whom, Tony, lives on Oahu.
“As a family, we’ve never gone on a vacation,” Chen said.
Perhaps the Chens can take their Hawaii family vacation before or after "The Ice" shows in late July. :)

ETA another excerpt:
“I was struggling so much on the lutz-toe in training (for a couple months),” Chen said. “I would go into the jump, fall, go into the jump, fall. I had repetition after repetition of the short program not being able to hit it. That engendered a lot of worry over my preparation for the [2022] Olympics.”
Chen hit the combination both times in the Beijing competitions, becoming the first skater to land it in the second half bonus area of an international short program. That is why he has found it compelling to watch the programs again. That is why after the second short program the usually self-contained Chen gave a powerful fist pump, a public display of emotion he called, “Unconventional for me.”
“I’m able to generate so much pride for that because I know how hard it was to get to that point,” he said.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

^^ Nice article about Nathan, answering some questions about his upcoming plans.

I liked this part:

For Chen, the best part of winning the gold medal was giving it to his mother in a surprise reunion between them on the “TODAY” show after he returned from Beijing.

“(It was) for the work she helped me with over many, many years,” he said. “It resulted in the goal we both really wanted.”

Maybe it's just because I'm a mom .... But that segment on the Today show with Nathan and his mother was honestly one of my favorite moments from the whole Olympic season. It's one that I will remember.

I think it was especially nice because Hetty was criticized quite a bit during Pyeongchang for reportedly advising Nathan on his SP layout there. So, it was just nice to see that she and Nathan were able to move on from that, and share a happy moment after he finally won in Beijing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information