U.S. Men 2020-21 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacey

Nathan recently talked about his first Olympic experience/mindset and what he learned in the Stars on Ice holiday chat starting here (with Kurt Browning, Meryl & Charlie): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yFxwH2e1TY&t=57m26s

BTW, his quad Lutz is back! Nathan landed 4Lz as his opening jump in his SP performance in Great Park Ice's holiday show on Sunday, and here's a fan's IGTV video captured from the livestream: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIwZIduJRDP/
I continue to be in love with Nathan's skating!

layman

Tom Zakrajsek recently shared 2 clips of Vincent Zhou "experimenting with new 4Lz entrances and techniques": https://www.instagram.com/p/CIoVm1wLVNP/
I don't know why they are toying with the 4 lutz, as that seems to be Vincent's best jump and he has really good timing in that jump and can make it into a big scoring combo quite easily. If it's not broke, why mess with it?

I think they should be focusing on the 4 salchow instead, where Vincent seems to delay the rotation so much, that he struggles to complete the jump before hitting the ice. I think he needs to improve the initial snap and pull in, so that he can start rotating a little earlier.

I would also like to see the 4 flip (has tried it in competition) and 4 loop (have not seen it in competition) from Vincent but he seems to have the same issues with those. He does not start the rotation quick enough. The timing seems off. That's where the team should work.

jlai

Question everything
I don't know why they are toying with the 4 lutz, as that seems to be Vincent's best jump and he has really good timing in that jump and can make it into a big scoring combo quite easily. If it's not broke, why mess with it?

I think they should be focusing on the 4 salchow instead, where Vincent seems to delay the rotation so much, that he struggles to complete the jump before hitting the ice. I think he needs to improve the initial snap and pull in, so that he can start rotating a little earlier.

I would also like to see the 4 flip (has tried it in competition) and 4 loop (have not seen it in competition) from Vincent but he seems to have the same issues with those. He does not start the rotation quick enough. The timing seems off. That's where the team should work.
If they mess with it that means the coach knows something isn't working that may not be public information

concorde

Maybe Vincent is working on a quint lutz!
There are still a couple of weeks left in 2020 so anything is possible.

Natanielle825

They're probably trying to max points on it if he feels very confident, but Idk how someone can be that secure in a freakin quad lutz to try it in competition from a spread eagle.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm NOT posting spoiler scores or standings here but the Nationals qualifying free skates can be watched by Peacock Premium subscribers for the following:

Senior Men Group A FS starting order (8 listed):
Joonsoo Kim
Jacob DeWolfe
Ryan Dunk
Lucas Altieri
Mitchell Friess
Ben Jalovick
Jun Hong Chen
Max Lake

Group B FS starting order (11 listed; 8 can be watched at this time):
Daniel Turchin
Joey Millet
Dinh Tran
Yaroslav Paniot
Eric Sjoberg
Peter Liu
Sebastien Payannet
Maxim Naumov
Videos are not there for the final 3 (waiting to hear if they competed/were scored):
Jordan Moeller
Emmanuel Savary
Paul Yeung

Junior Men FS currently is scheduled to be streamed on Peacock Premium on Dec. 23 (top 12 will qualify for Nationals).

ETA to the competition thread I've started in which I've posted the currently known scores behind a spoiler tag: 2021 USFS Championship Series (virtual qualifying competition for 2021 US Nationals)

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Thanks for posting! Does this mean Ilia Malinin's season is done since he wasn't a top 4 ISP score? Bummer, hope he is ok. Or maybe he is staying in juniors?

Sylvia

TBD
I wasn't planning to post until all the Nationals qualifiers are confirmed by USFS (tomorrow?), but I'm pretty sure Ilia Malinin registered to compete Senior in the qualifying season so, yes, it appears his season is over now and he will miss his second straight Nationals. :(

William Hubbart (12th in his senior debut at 2020 Nationals) also is missing from the Senior Men's qualifiers list (eta on 12/22 that he's listed as WD in the Group A results).
Sectional qualifiers last year in Senior not listed this year: Andrew Austin and Ryan VanDoren

Last edited:

orbitz

I don't think Tom is trying to fix Vincent's 4lz technique. It looks like they're just trying out different entrances into the jump. I like it, especially the second clip. If a skater always has to approach a jump the same way in every program then it limits him choreographically.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS published the list of 2021 Nationals qualifiers today (Malinin is not listed :() - copying out the men's names/clubs but NOT posting the qualifying competition results/scores here (using the competition thread in Kiss & Cry for that purpose).

Championship Men (18)
Jason Brown (Skokie Valley SC) Bye
Nathan Chen (Salt Lake Figure Skating) Bye
Ryan Dunk (Baltimore FSC)
Mitchell Friess (St. Paul FSC)
Tomoki Hiwatashi (DuPage FSC) Bye
Joseph Kang (University of Delaware FSC) Bye-ISP PC
Joonsoo Kim (Los Angeles FSC)
Alex Krasnozhon (The Skating Club of Boston) Bye-ISP PC
Peter Liu (The SC of Wilmington, Inc)
Jimmy Ma (The Skating Club of Boston) Bye-ISP PC
Jordan Moeller (Northern Ice SC)
Maxim Naumov (The Skating Club of Boston)
Yaroslav Paniot (All Year FSC)
Camden Pulkinen (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) Bye-ISP PC
Eric Sjoberg (Los Angeles FSC)
Andrew Torgashev (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) Bye
Dinh Tran (The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc)
Vincent Zhou (The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc) Bye

Junior Men (12)
Lucas Broussard (Highland SC)
Nicholas Hsieh (The SC of Wilmington, Inc)
Liam Kapeikis (Wenatchee FSC)
Joseph Klein (Skokie Valley SC)
Daniel Martynov (Great Lakes FSC)
Samuel Mindra (Portland ISC)
Matthew Nielsen (Winterhurst FSC)
Eric Prober (Panthers FSC, Inc.)
Jacob Sanchez (Hudson Valley FSC)
Michael Xie (All Year FSC)
Robert Yampolsky (North Jersey FSC Inc)
Maxim Zharkov (Dallas FSC, Inc.)

Last edited:

Carolla5501

LOL!
Maybe you should consider the strong possibility that the coach and skater are more knowledgeable on what he needs to do than you?

concorde

USFS published the list of 2021 Nationals qualifiers today (Malinin is not listed :() - copying out the men's names/clubs but NOT posting the qualifying competition results/scores here (using the competition thread in Kiss & Cry for that purpose).
I'll use a spoiler tag below in case anyone wants to watch the qualifying competitions unspoiled.
I don't think Ilia Malinin submitted a video. Wonder what happened between SA and when the videos were due.

DreamSkates

I'm NOT posting spoiler scores or standings here but the Nationals qualifying free skates can be watched by Peacock Premium subscribers for the following:

Senior Men Group A FS starting order (8 listed):
Joonsoo Kim
Jacob DeWolfe
Ryan Dunk
Lucas Altieri
Mitchell Friess
Ben Jalovick
Jun Hong Chen
Max Lake

Group B FS starting order (11 listed; 8 can be watched at this time):
Daniel Turchin
Joey Millet
Dinh Tran
Yaroslav Paniot
Eric Sjoberg
Peter Liu
Sebastien Payannet
Maxim Naumov
Videos are not there for the final 3 (waiting to hear if they competed/were scored):
Jordan Moeller
Emmanuel Savary
Paul Yeung

Junior Men FS currently is scheduled to be streamed on Peacock Premium on Dec. 23 (top 12 will qualify for Nationals).

ETA to the competition thread I've started in which I've posted the currently known scores behind a spoiler tag: 2021 USFS Championship Series (virtual qualifying competition for 2021 US Nationals)
What exactly is the title to search for in Peacock? I found Junior Mens Free Skate but never have found a schedule in Peacock so its easy to forget there is something to watch.

Sylvia

TBD
ON HIS OWN IN TORONTO, JASON BROWN WORKS TOWARD VEGAS RETURN by Lynn Rutherford (Dec. 22, 2020): https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/D...Toronto-Jason-Brown-Works-Toward-Vegas-Return
Excerpt:
That may change at the upcoming U.S. championships. Brown posted clips of two different quads, toe loop and salchow, on his Instagram, and plans to include the toe in his programs.
“I’m definitely more comfortable with the toe, I just have more mileage with it, and I have it in both programs,” Brown said. “Obviously, I work on both, trying to push forward and have that (competitive) mentality. I’m eyeing the 2021-22 Olympic season, as far as that end game. I really just train the programs in a different way, so I’ll be as prepared as possible when next season rolls around.”
Ward, who has worked with Brown since the skater was a youngster, has his own theory on why the quad has been slow in coming.
“There are some people who love jumping, love doing quads — I was like that,” Ward said. “For Jason, he would rather perform and sell and do what he does really, really well. He can do quads, and he is working on them, but his type of skating is a feeling. It’s storytelling. I think it requires way more physicality and mental (ability), than the other way.”

Sylvia

TBD
2 friendship articles...

Tomoki, Camden & Vincent by @clairecloutier:
Excerpts:
In addition to joking around at the rink, the guys also get together outside the arena. "It's hard right now, with the pandemic," Zhou said. "But there have been plenty of times when we've had boys' Friday nights or Saturday nights."
They generally gather at each other's houses. "Since we're out all day at the rink, we prefer to just stay home after a long day of training," Pulkinen noted. Playing Nintendo and other video games is their favorite activity, with Hiwatashi typically selecting the games.
Aside from skating, the trio shares another interest: All hope for future careers in business or investment banking.
In Las Vegas, the three friends will compete for medals and U.S. team slots. It's a familiar scenario--and one that doesn't faze them.
"If I were to lose a slot to someone, or fall short, I put that on myself," Pulkinen said. "Because, more than just being competitors, I think it's important to maintain those friendships. Honestly, this sport is really lonely. If I didn't have my fellow competitors with me, I probably wouldn't be able to make it. Yes, the medals and accomplishments mean so much, but I feel like friendships are what really lasts."

Alex Krasnozhon, Jimmy Ma & pair skater Misha Mitrofanov by Thomas Touchstone:
Excerpts:
The three Team USA men moved to Boston after their coaches, Alexey Letov and Olga Ganicheva, were relocated to the new state-of-the-art facility at the Skating Club of Boston to prepare for the upcoming Olympics.
Krasnozhon said that it was scary to move away from where they were comfortable, but they get through it together.
"I think that living together and knowing each other's schedule and supporting each other is really fun," Krasnozhon said. "I think that on the ice we are friendly, and at home we are friendly. We try to support each other and influence each other to make smart decisions at home. That way we can be at our best on the ice."
According to Mitrofanov and Krasnozhon, Ma does most of the cooking and cleaning, because he is the only one who does it correctly. The pair went on to say that they know not to talk to Ma in the morning, because he is not a morning person and cannot deal with their energy that early.
Ma will take his own car to training, so he can listen to classical music, while Mitrofanov and Krasnozhon will drive separately and listen to rap.
After they are done with skating, the three want to stay close throughout life. Krasnozhon and Mitrofanov plan to move back to Texas and are trying to convince Ma to go with them.
"Misha and I plan on going back, because we love Texas," Krasnozhon said. "Jimmy loves Texas too, but he just won't admit it, because he is from New York."

Sylvia

TBD
Andrew Torgashev has withdrawn from 2021 Nationals :( - he has shared a short update via his official website:
ETA link to his Instagram post later on Wednesday ("... Nevertheless, I am healthy and I am training hard. See you next season 🤙🏼"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CJuVXB0LKDE/

Alex Krasnozhon has a new SP for Nationals as listed in his Team USA bio: "Je Dors Sur Les Roses" performed by Mikelangelo Loconte (from the French musical Mozart, l'opéra rock), choreographed by Adam Blake in Boston.

Polina Edmunds' latest podcast episode features Vincent Zhou (about 30 mins. long) - she welcomes feedback here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJrK39mJnUY/

Misha Ge helping Yaroslav Paniot refine his Elvis Presley FS: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJsJQhMJUh-/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan had a pre-Nationals media teleconference call yesterday - some highlights are transcribed here:

ETA: I've posted 2 Twitter threads in his fan thread.

Here's Helene Elliott's column:
Alternate link: https://news.yahoo.com/column-nathan-chen-set-pursue-163915652.html

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jason article by Phil Hersh:
Excerpt:
He has been working on both a quadruple toe loop and a quadruple salchow, but recurrence of an old left foot injury limited his training on both. The injury is no longer an issue, Wilson said, and Brown said he wants to do quad in each program, most likely the toe loop.
“Whether that happens or not, there is definitely going to be one (attempt),” he said.
After nationals, he will spend about a week with his parents. At that point, if worlds has not been cancelled and he has made the team, Brown will go back to Canada, quarantine two weeks, then have six weeks more training before heading to the March 22-28 event in Stockholm. By the end of the spring semester, he will have finished two years of course work at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs.
“I feel the best skating of my life is yet to come,” he said.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan article by Phil Hersh:

Vincent article by NickMcCarvel:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Question: Whatever happened to Tony Lu? Last I heard of him was 3rd at 2020 Sectionals but not at 2020 Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
Question: Whatever happened to Tony Lu? Last I heard of him was 3rd at 2020 Sectionals but not at 2020 Nationals.
Tony Lu (3rd at Eastern Sectionals), Jun Hong Chen (4th at Easterns), Andrew Austin (2nd at Midwesterns) and Ben Jalovick (4th at Mids) did not earn the minimum combined TES of 92 (new rule last season) to be able to compete at 2020 Nationals, unfortunately. :(

Lu and Austin did not enter the Senior Men's FS qualifying event for 2021 Nationals and I don't know at this time if either plan to continue competing next season. Tony Lu's Instagram account (tonyluflops :D) profile says he is attending UD [Delaware] and is the class of '22 and "UDFS" indicates he is a member of their collegiate figure skating team.

Mitchell Friess most likely would not have had the opportunity to make his Nationals debut (in his EIGHT attempt!) in Las Vegas had Ilia Malinin competed in the qualifying event and/or last season's minimum TES not been waived, but then I would not have had the chance to ask him to share some of his story:

I really, really hope Mitchell will perform his Dear Evan Hansen FS tomorrow (he drew #1 to skate) the way I have seen him skate it before and show people watching how much skating means to him! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information