U.S. Men 2018-19 season (cont.) - news & updates

Tavi

Simply responding to a post in this thread

I actually think a pre-Worlds men’s chat thread - or even a general men’s chat thread - would be really fun, and I think it would be great if someone would start one. But in the context of this thread, are people thinking selection of the Russian team - and specifically Kolyada- will impact US men’s placements at Worlds? Or what?

olympic

I actually think a pre-Worlds men’s chat thread - or even a general men’s chat thread - would be really fun, and I think it would be great if someone would start one. But in the context of this thread, are people thinking selection of the Russian team - and specifically Kolyada- will impact US men’s placements at Worlds? Or what?

I want to respond, but I'm afraid to derail :). But seriously, I will marry the 2 topics quickly: I don't think any of the Russian men right now are a threat to U.S. #1 Nathan. Kolyada has the talent to get very close to the podium, or step onto it if Nathan or Shoma have a really bad day. But, clean skates would definitely put him in front of Jason and Vincent, yet what are the odds? Jason and Vincent are finally pulling themselves together this season and if they skate well at Worlds, I think they can stay in front of Samarin and whoever Russia chooses as no. 3, but it really comes down to how well will Kolyada skate. The Kolyada at Euros and Russian Nationals would finish further back. Finally, nothing Russia does will influence the U.S. maintaining 3 spots.

Dobre

But in the context of this thread, are people thinking selection of the Russian team - and specifically Kolyada- will impact US men’s placements at Worlds? Or what?

The men's starting order at Worlds. If Kolyada doesn't skate, all the U.S. men will be in the last group for the SP. If he does, Vincent will be in the second to last group. I don't think it matters, personally. Probably better for Vincent to just go up early and do his job. (As long as you don't have to go up directly after the Poohs, it's a good draw, generally).

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
The men's starting order at Worlds. If Kolyada skates, all the U.S. men will be in the last group for the SP. If he doesn't, Vincent will be in the second to last group. I don't think it matters, personally. Probably better for Vincent to just go up early and do his job. (As long as you don't have to go up directly after the Poohs, it's a good draw, generally).
Actually I think second to last is just as good as any as far as groups go. Pressure is less and you still can get a pretty high score.

nathanfan

I think there will be fewer Poohs at Worlds this year, as plush throwing will only be allowed from premium seats - which are more pricey and not very many of them.

Dobre

Personally, I think both Javi & Nathan have always been Pooh motivated.

Last edited:

Tavi

I want to respond, but I'm afraid to derail :). But seriously, I will marry the 2 topics quickly: I don't think any of the Russian men right now are a threat to U.S. #1 Nathan. Kolyada has the talent to get very close to the podium, or step onto it if Nathan or Shoma have a really bad day. But, clean skates would definitely put him in front of Jason and Vincent, yet what are the odds? Jason and Vincent are finally pulling themselves together this season and if they skate well at Worlds, I think they can stay in front of Samarin and whoever Russia chooses as no. 3, but it really comes down to how well will Kolyada skate. The Kolyada at Euros and Russian Nationals would finish further back. Finally, nothing Russia does will influence the U.S. maintaining 3 spots.

Hah hah, sorry, I didn’t mean to turn into the OT police! :) And thanks to you and @Dobre for clarifying.

I think I agree with Dobre that whether Vincent is in the final or penultimate group isn’t so important. It’s more a question of how well he skates and whether the tech panel is strict or lenient on <.

I agree with you that both Jason and Vincent have made big strides thus year, but I’m not so sure that how Team Russia does won’t affect the US. In part that’s because when Kolyada is on he’s brilliant; in addition, Samarin gets quite high PCS, and you never know what the judging panel will do:

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/18289-isu-communication-2204/file

I think there’s a good possibility we’ll retain 3 spots, but I don’t think it’s guaranteed. I’m really excited to see whether Jason can land the stupid 4S.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
We watched John Oliver's first new show of the season, and in his opening bits, he showed a caricature of the Chinese President holding Pooh (for those not in the know, John made more than a few jokes about Xi Jinping resembling a Winnie the Pooh last summer, getting his show banned in China). I would definitely saw that was a Pooh-traumatic stress reaction...

aftershocks

Banned Member
Samarin gets quite high PCS, and you never know what the judging panel will do... I’m not so sure that how Team Russia does won’t affect the US. In part that’s because when Kolyada is on he’s brilliant ... I’m really excited to see whether Jason can land the stupid 4S.

I guess the 4S won't be so 'stupid' if Jason lands it. :lol:

Indeedy, Samarin gets overly high PCS too often. Kolyada is definitely brilliant when he's on, but it's hard to expect him to not be inconsistent these days.

Jammers

Do all 3 US Men age out of Juniors after this season? It might be slim pickings for the US Juniors for a couple of years until the younger guys improve and make a move.

concorde

Won't both Vincent and Andrew T still be age eligible next year? I cannot see Vincent going to JW but maybe Andrew.

Debbie S

Yes, Andrew T will be Junior eligible next season. There are some talented Juniors coming up: Ryan Dunk, Dinh Tran, Peter Liu. Plus there's Max Naumov, assuming he has healed from the injury that caused him to miss this season. They may not be 100% consistent with the harder jumps, but they're Juniors. Hopefully, the U.S. will remain in the top 3 countries after the FS (you can do it, Camden!) and will get the max number of JGP entries next season so the new crop can get more int'l experience.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Well, we got a Junior Wolrd Champion out of it.

Congratulations to Tomoki!!!!

Camden and Alexei had problems this year doing a free program... I think Camden is going to be in their #TTW for a bit :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information