U.S. Figure Skating & NBC Sports Group Partner on Media Rights Agreement through 2026

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, I'd like to know when they are planning to properly port over all of the major 2018 U.S. figure skating championship events. Right now, there's only one event up for each senior discipline, i.e., either short or free, but not both. And so far, there's been no explanation for this bumbling.

Is it possible to access Olympic Channel content using NBC Gold account, or must there be separate sign-ups?

Last edited:

floridaice

There’s no active promotion code for new subscribers. Prior subscribers are getting codes to use if IN/NBC screwed up. I wouldn’t risk using one of those codes as it might cause problems for the rightful user.

I agree, the code I received just looked like a randomly generated code that is probably only good for one use.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Thanks to all who have shared their experiences and tips. Like so many others, I updated my CC info in IN, but old info ported over to NBC. Thanks to this thread, I knew what to do. I got a response in just over 24 hours along with a code to honor the price. Thanks FSU!!!!!! :respec::respec::respec::respec:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I'm still confused about why my account with IceNetwork isn't working with NBC Sports Gold. For some reason, the info including the "my wallet" portion wasn't transferred, and I've had that account for several years. I guess I'll have to set up a new account with password, etc. I need to contact them anyway to find out if I have a discount or not. $59.99 is too expensive for me at the moment.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
I'm still confused about why my account with IceNetwork isn't working with NBC Sports Gold. For some reason, the info including the "my wallet" portion wasn't transferred, and I've had that account for several years. I guess I'll have to set up a new account with password, etc. I need to contact them anyway to find out if I have a discount or not. $59.99 is too expensive for me at the moment.

I would email them at the support address on the web site which IIRC is also in a post or 2 up thread. Explain the situation and they will probably send you a promo code so you can subscribe at the dis punted price. It only took me 2 emails to g ed t this done and less than 48 hours. Good luck!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I look forward to watching whatever skating is shown on TV (Olympic Channel). I don’t care if it’s same day, a few hours later. KISS - keep it sweet and simple.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I would email them at the support address on the web site which IIRC is also in a post or 2 up thread. Explain the situation and they will probably send you a promo code so you can subscribe at the dis punted price. It only took me 2 emails to g ed t this done and less than 48 hours. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I will send them an email before I do anything else. I would definitely like a promo code, and maybe they can straighten this out for me.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I didn't get an e-mail from NBC but followed the instructions posted here and was able to log in and see the skating vids. I hope NBC will start organizing the coming season's vids by event, we'll see, but as long as the video doesn't freeze (and can be accessed on mobile wi-fi), I'll be happy.

Like Debbie, I didn't get any emails - my husband noticed the charge on our AMEX bill and asked me about it. Thanks for the info here on how to change the password and log in. And I did get the discount.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, I'd like to know when they are planning to properly port over all of the major 2018 U.S. figure skating championship events. Right now, there's only one event up for each senior discipline, i.e., either short or free, but not both. And so far, there's been no explanation for this bumbling...

Would you believe NBCSportsGold technical support responded back to me via email about the missing parts of 2018 U.S. figure skating event, by saying that they are still in the process of uploading content from the IceNetwork site. :rofl:

A likely spin-story. To my knowledge nothing has changed on the NBCSportsGold figure skating site since it went up at the beginning of July. :duh::drama:

I can't imagine how they are going to upload data that they didn't upload initially out of stupidity and incompetence! :rolleyes:

Probably not many fans have complained either since it's possible to piece some of the missing U.S. event portions together by watching skater performances uploaded to Youtube. It's more complicated and time-consuming, but possible.

Sylvia

TBD
https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure-skating

*All events on the Figure Skating Pass available in the U.S.
U.S. Figure Skating qualifying and championship events are available in Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the U.K.

U.S. International Classic September 13-15, 2018 is the first event on the schedule: https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/events-schedule#figure-skating

ETA:

Last year the U.S. TV figure skating broadcast schedule was published in mid-October (about one week before the start of the Grand Prix series) - link to check: http://www.usfigureskating.org/events?id=84206

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So US Classic will be worse than on IceNetwork, because it will be NBCSportsGold so no-one outside the US will see it.

Seriously?

honey

So US Classic will be worse than on IceNetwork, because it will be NBCSportsGold so no-one outside the US will see it.

Seriously?

Wasn’t that always the case? I could never see it in Canada? Was is not geoblocked elsewhere?

Tavi

No. US Classic was never geoblocked, the stream was just trash. But at least I could watch it.

Is the issue that you can’t purchase the subscription - ie you need a US account to do so - or can you buy a subscription and then use a VPN?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Is the issue that you can’t purchase the subscription - ie you need a US account to do so - or can you buy a subscription and then use a VPN?

It won't even let me buy the subscription. It notes that my billing address is in Australia and won't let me proceed.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It looks like US figureskating fanzone will be doing some articles, and possibly Social Scene videos during the season, I hope. It would be nice if they somehow continued to offer Ice Desk commentary and video of press conferences (although maybe press conference videos might be on NBC). I'm in a wait-and-see mode re NBC's coverage. They were so inept in porting over IceNetwork archival content for this past season. I'd really like to know where all of the past Social Scene videos are from U.S. Nationals?

Here's a Lynn Rutherford Q&A on fanzone with Nathan:
http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...n-chen-packs-his-bags-for-new-haven/#comments

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Am I the only one who thinks it ironic that people are bemoaning the loss if Ice Network?

Sure, it may be ironic, but in fact I don't see anyone giving IN a pass for their horrible streaming glitches, ancient technology, and numerous customer service issues. Not the least of which has been their total ineptness in transitioning our accounts and their archival content to NBCGold. I'm not giving NBC any brownie points either.

We all have given IN credit for the more in-depth news coverage they provided from a variety of reporters. And for the most part, that is largely what fans are saying they will miss.

Moto Guzzi

There’s no active promotion code for new subscribers. Prior subscribers are getting codes to use if IN/NBC screwed up. I wouldn’t risk using one of those codes as it might cause problems for the rightful user.
I wasn't able to update my Icenet account and sent an email about it. I received an email that told me I'd still get the discount and that I'd receive another email with the promotion code. They never sent it and didn't respond to my emails asking where it was.

They certainly don't seem to want my business.

kwanatic

Was it ever promised that all the archival content from IceNetwork would transition to NBC Sports Gold?

I vaguely remember reading something but I could be mistaken. I've noticed that the only thing available on the NBC pass right now is last season's competition from the GP, GPF, US nats, 4CC, Euros and Worlds. I think that's it. Kinds sucks b/c I'd have loved to go back and watch a few competitions from earlier seasons. I guess that's what YouTube is for. More than likely this will be the last year I keep this subscription, especially if they increase the cost which I suspect they might try to do. If they add in all of the older content I may keep it...if not, I'll cancel and just rely on YouTube.

SkateFanBerlin

The problem remains because of broadcast zoning you will be missing competitions no matter who you buy a package from. Me, I'm sticking with VPN software and the stealth of FSU members. It's a scramble but I don't think I've ever missed catching the bulk of any competition I wanted to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information