Todd Sand Recovering from Heart Attack at Home

Willin

Kidneys get injured really easily - you can get kidney damage from running a marathon, doing crossfit, or getting very dehydrated. A lot of ICU patients get kidney failure, and heart problems commonly lead to kidney problems. But kidneys can be very resilient as well.

LA and OC have a number of great hospitals. He has a lot of great resources around him to help both in the hospital and once he gets out.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
When people were questioning the fund raiser, I was going to post about a possible need for additional treatment, up to and including organ transplant. Those procedures typically cost a lot more than insurance covers. Fingers crossed that the dialysis allows his kidneys to improve on their own.

AnnM

When people were questioning the fund raiser, I was going to post about a possible need for additional treatment, up to and including organ transplant. Those procedures typically cost a lot more than insurance covers. Fingers crossed that the dialysis allows his kidneys to improve on their own.

I would also think that the need for frequent dialysis will prolong the loss of income beyond initial expectations.

icefan13

While I have been watching for Jenni’s updates, thank you all for providing the additional information here. I’ve been so worried and continuing to pray daily for Todd.

What a great tribute to their legacy, by the way, that Alexa and Brandon just won the first back-to-back World medals for U.S. pairs since their coaches Meno and Sand back in 1995-96.

DreamSkates

Alexa's reply in the Pairs SP press conference, with a very supportive Brandon, starts at this point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4c85smJYA8&t=624s

(on the challenges they’ve faced following coach Todd Sand’s heart attack on March 2) I think it’s a very deep question because Todd’s condition is very serious so it’s difficult to train when you feel broken inside, when your person is not there. However, that person is the one who instilled fight in us so we’re able to work hard every day to make him proud (voice wavering as she becomes tearful) and I think we did a good job of that today.
So proud of them for their accomplishment at Worlds!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
New post from Jenni, where she describes a little of what happened that night.

Four weeks ago today Todd called me in the middle of the night from Calgary where he was coaching at Jr Worlds. I told him to please call someone there for help. Lorrie Parker was the team leader she jumped to action and got the U.S. Team Dr involved. We are truly thankful for Dr. Fazecas, Lorrie Parker and the paramedics who never gave up. God was watching over all of them that morning. Our life has taken a turn we weren’t expecting, but we thank God everyday that Todd is still here with us. We have a mountain to climb and as a family we’re doing it together. 💙 #Sandmanstrong #Standyourground

Sylvia

TBD
teamtoddandjenni's post today (April 6): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqsk7dgLK_N/
The past 5 weeks have shown us how many very special people there are in this World. When we started out in Calgary we were very fortunate to have our good friend Scott Davis close by to offer his help and support. The Glencoe Club sent us meals almost everyday, the Morden family gave us a car to use, the Gamez family brought us several wonderful dinners…the list could go on. I want them all to know how much they helped us through some of our hardest days.
Todd continues to amaze us with his determination. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers. 💙#Sandmanstrong #Standyourground #greatparkpairs🇺🇸
Katia Gordeeva recently spent a week at Great Park Ice (where she used to coach) with her students: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqigSETLBmq/
What a wonderful week of learning! Thank you @teamtoddandjenni @christine_binder @natebartholomay .
Thank you Jenni, Christin and Nate for making skaters feel welcome ❤️Experience wonderful atmosphere. Jenni, Christin, Nate thank you so much! We can’t wait Todd to be back on the ice! ⛸💙

Sylvia

TBD
Update from Jenni today (accompanied by a group pic from World Team Trophy in Tokyo :)): https://www.instagram.com/p/CrDzymTLHeT/

ETA - thanks to photographer Melanie Heaney for tweeting this "real time" info from the arena: https://twitter.com/mheaneyphoto/status/1647140766895202306
Not sure if it was shown on the broadcast, but a lot of skaters from multiple countries gathered in the kiss & cry to take a photo with the big banner for Todd Sand after the pairs event finished. #wttfigure

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
His heart stopped for an hour?

ETA - @Wyliefan fan I'm still trying to process that statement and make sense of it. Maybe code procedures have changed but that's a really long time to do CPR and continuation of code.
Is that why the implications with the organs? What a fighter he is and wow for the Canadian medical folks keeping him alive.

skipaway

His heart stopped for an hour?

ETA - @Wyliefan fan I'm still trying to process that statement and make sense of it. Maybe code procedures have changed but that's a really long time to do CPR and continuation of code.
I have been involved with coding a patient for over an hour, especially the young and healthy as well as pediatric patients. During a code the heart can stop and start over and over. When you get a pulse back finally it can be that long. Sure explains Todd’s long recovery and his renal failure.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I have been involved with coding a patient for over an hour, especially the young and healthy as well as pediatric patients. During a code the heart can stop and start over and over. When you get a pulse back finally it can be that long. Sure explains Todd’s long recovery and his renal failure.
Wow. It's been a long time since my nursing years, but those I knew that lasted long involved cold water submersion type of codes where warming procedures were involved.

OlieRow

I’m emergency medicine. Hour codes are rare but for someone younger, fit, and intermittently with a pulse, it’s hard to stop CPR. I’d kinda suspected this was the case reading between the lines in prior updates, definitely explains a lot. SOOO thankfully he seems to be doing relatively well all things considering. I guess we’re a little spoiled with Todd and Damar Hamlin having good outcomes. Definitely not norm for out of hospital cardiac arrests.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I’m emergency medicine. Hour codes are rare but for someone younger, fit, and intermittently with a pulse, it’s hard to stop CPR. I’d kinda suspected this was the case reading between the lines in prior updates, definitely explains a lot. SOOO thankfully he seems to be doing relatively well all things considering. I guess we’re a little spoiled with Todd and Denny Hamlin having good outcomes. Definitely not norm for out of hospital cardiac arrests.
Damar Hamlin, not Denny.

OlieRow

Damar Hamlin, not Denny.

My bad. I had Denny Hamlin on my mind as a friend told me a story about how her BIL's sister wanted to bring someone she met online to Easter dinner to meet in person for the first time. It was supposedly Denny Hamlin. And he needed money because he was getting divorced...

Sylvia

TBD
Jenni posted on instagram stories just a few minutes ago that Todd’s kidneys started working today!!
Wonderful news! :)

Excerpting quotes from Sonia Baram and Daniel Tioumentsev re. Junior Worlds (article is linked in the U.S. Pairs thread):
On the day of the free skate, Baram and Tioumentsev learned that their coach, Todd Sand, suffered a heart attack earlier that morning, and was hospitalized in the ICU in a Calgary hospital.
"My mom had already told me the news and I knew that Daniel already knew what was happening, but I didn't know how to bring it up to him," Baram shared. "I asked him if he was okay, and he said he was and sounded so chill about it, so I didn't really know if he understood."
Tioumentsev added, "I didn't know how severe it was and I didn't know if Sonia knew or not, so I was trying to be calm about it."
Despite the excitement of winning the title, Baram and Tioumentsev both admitted that it was bittersweet without Sand by their sides.
"At the end of our program I thought, 'I think that we are going to win' and Todd is not going to be there," Baram remembered. "I started to think of what I wanted to tell him, and it was a little hard for me."
Tioumentsev admitted that, in a way, Sand was with them on that day.
"I actually distinctly remember that before every element that we had in our long program, there was one thing that he would always point out and I could hear him say it in my mind," Tioumentsev said. "Like before the triple twist he would always tell me to stand my ground and before the triple twist I had like this instantaneous flashback of him telling me to stand my ground, and then I just flip back into reality. Then with the triple Salchow, he would say, 'Don't lean forward—stand tall,' and then snap back into reality. He kind of guided me through the program."

Sylvia

TBD
Jenni's post tonight on the teamtoddandjenni account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrpaGUlrFca/
After 8 weeks we brought Todd home today💙 He is a miracle…our story is one that I’ll tell in the future when I can spend sometime reflecting. Todd has done more in 8 weeks than any Dr thought he would. He still has a lot of work ahead. We look forward to meeting his new therapy team on Monday. For now we’ll relax and be grateful for the little things. #sandmanstrong #standyourground
:cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information