Todd Sand Recovering from Heart Attack at Home

Allskate

Agreed - lots of recognizable names. Coaches, lots of current and former skaters-- and some FSU posters too. That struck me as especially lovely for some reason. <3
The amount of money raised obviously is very important to deal with all the expenses and relieve an added source of stress. But, I also hope that Todd and Jenni draw some comfort from knowing that over 500 people already have donated.

skatfan

A bit condescending, no? Seriously, I know that a show cannot be put together overnight and that it takes a lot of work. I am far from being a naif. But these folks have a VERY long road ahead of them. The response to the GiveaHand initiative looks great so far, but there is a ways to go and the skating community is relatively small. A fundraiser show may well be a great boost in defraying their expenses over the longer term. I would not have expected anyone to have read my post any other way.
I apologize if it came across as condescending. As a pastor, I find that a lot of well-meaning outsiders have advice that would helpful down the road but not now. That is all I meant in my response, and I am not a mind reader about your intentions. It sounds like we agree.

The Sand family has immediate crisis needs that those close to them are taking care. If Todd survives, and I pray that he will, yes, some kind of show might be considered. Scott Hamilton, a good friend, certainly knows how to organize these.

The fundraiser is north of $90k US as I write this, so it looks like the skating community is out in force for them.

DynamicMutation

He is very likely in the Foothills Medical Centre which is, I believe, the largest hospital in Alberta and located in NW Calgary. It is an older hospital, not as lush and modern as the new South Calgary Health Centre, but it is one of Canada's most recognized medical facilities and a leading research and teaching hospital. Canadian hospitals have been very stretched but now that the pandemic numbers are down things seem to be closer to normal. There are, of course, always other costs aside from the medical bills that the family faces.
Foothills Medical Centre or "the Foot" as we fondly refer to it in Calgary is not a young hospital--it celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016. However, it is a huge campus and is one of few level 1 trauma centres in Canada. The ICUs were renovated and enlarged when I was a resident in the mid-2010s. It is spacious, bright, and huge huge spaces. It is probably one of the nicest ICU facilities in Canada.
(FYI I do not know which hospital he is in. He could be in any of the 4 adult hospitals and all of them have ICUs and the care is awesome in all of them.)

puglover

Foothills Medical Centre or "the Foot" as we fondly refer to it in Calgary is not a young hospital--it celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016. However, it is a huge campus and is one of few level 1 trauma centres in Canada. The ICUs were renovated and enlarged when I was a resident in the mid-2010s. It is spacious, bright, and huge huge spaces. It is probably one of the nicest ICU facilities in Canada.
(FYI I do not know which hospital he is in. He could be in any of the 4 adult hospitals and all of them have ICUs and the care is awesome in all of them.)
I was a patient of the Tom Baker Cancer Clinic there until 3 years ago when we moved. I found it to be a top notch facility and dearly miss it. My daughter broke her femur while visiting and her husband and American family wanted her airlifted to the US as they were very uncertain about the care she would receive in Canada. Fortunately, the doctors convinced them that was a very bad idea and they came away very impressed with the care she received.

DreamSkates

I know we're not supposed to cross post or mention other skating forum sites but given this situation I was wondering if anyone knows GoldenSkate well enough to post about Todd there? I looked around but didn't see anything. The more support and prayers the better. Maybe news is already posted there.

2sk8

I know we're not supposed to cross post or mention other skating forum sites but given this situation I was wondering if anyone knows GoldenSkate well enough to post about Todd there? I looked around but didn't see anything. The more support and prayers the better. Maybe news is already posted there.
It's posted there already

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Nick Zaccardi today:
Christine Fowler-Binder, who coaches pairs’ figure skaters with Sand and Sand’s wife, Jenni Meno, published a fundraiser on Wednesday “for Todd and his family to help support them with the enormous expenses associated with his medical care and recovery.”
Fowler-Binder confirmed Thursday afternoon that Sand is still in the ICU recovering from the heart attack. The public support for Sand has been overwhelming — more than $100,000 from more than 800 donors as of Thursday afternoon. The fundraiser goal is $500,000 for the out-of-country medical costs.
“It is amazing, and [Meno] appreciates everyone’s support,” Fowler-Binder said.

Sylvia

TBD
Of the almost 500 comments left on the fundraising page to date, I found this one, posted yesterday, especially touching:
Todd, you took the time at the end of Stars on Ice in NJ years ago to give my elderly Mom a hug as we were sitting on the ice. She is now deceased, but she and I will never forget your kindness, warmth and generosity that evening. My Mom and I followed skating for years and I still do. I have followed your skating and coaching career. Hoping that the prayers and good thoughts will give you the strength to pull through this. ❤️⛸️

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information