Todd Sand Recovering from Heart Attack at Home

Judy

My personal experience when you have a family member (loved one) in hospital with a serious condition it is very, very draining emotionally, physically and stress levels are high.

I understand wanting to know too.

peibeck

Simply looking
While this definitely sounds like he had a severe heart attack the "good" news is that treatments are so much more advanced now than they were 50 years ago when my dad had a heart attack (caused by a blood clot) that essentially permanently damaged 60% of his heart for the rest of his life. The doctors considered it a miracle he lived, but he was literally in the hospital for months.

Hopefully Todd was taken to the hospital swiftly after the heart attack happened, as quick treatment is very important. 🙏

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It looks like Jenni posted an IG story today saying, "The power of prayer., keep 'em comin! Let's go SANDMAN!"
I saw the Superman picture which I can no longer find and got a bit ahead of myself. Fingers crossed.

LL22

I really do feel like "no news is good news" at first. But then it starts to feel ominous for a spell and then as we all take a breath "no news" becomes hopeful again. I'm at the hopeful stage.
Me too! Todd is a class act. I really hope he comes through. This would be a big loss to his family and the whole skating community. ❤️ Sending positive vibes.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I can't stop thinking that here are two self-employed people. There's no amount of insurance in the world that helps a married couple who own their own business deal with something like this financially. So if there's a GoFundMe, sign me up.

Perky Shae Lynn

I can't stop thinking that here are two self-employed people. There's no amount of insurance in the world that helps a married couple who own their own business deal with something like this financially. So if there's a GoFundMe, sign me up.
I hope their insurance covers the main of part of their medical bills. But even if that's the case, co-pays can be high, and their income is taking a huge hit. It's just a devastating situation, and if it can be helped financially - I am sure a lot of people will be happy to help out.

Judy

From a Canadian point of view I was covered with my employer but I also topped it off with additional health insurance to be safe for the U.S. or international travel. You never know what can happen eg, accidents etc.. It obviously would be different for him basically self employed. no judgement of course. 😔

Debbie S

I think I remember reading that USFS (or maybe it's through USOPC) has some sort of insurance that covers emergency medical expenses for anyone (skaters, coaches, team leaders, etc) traveling to comps as part of Team USA. Not sure if that's a travel policy or a health policy but that's probably what's picking up Todd's expenses, but there may be a cap.

Hopefully his regular health insurance covers emergency care out of the country....I believe the skaters on Team USA can get health insurance through USOPC that likely has coverage for out of country care (at least for emergencies), not sure about coaches. The local, non-Team USA coaches I know get health insurance through the exchange/marketplace, unless they are on their spouse's plan.

exNyer

I can't stop thinking that here are two self-employed people. There's no amount of insurance in the world that …
Decades ago my self-employed relative had a heart attack and aortic dissection. He was admitted to Cleveland Clinic . While waiting days in his hospital bed until he was stable for surgery, he would constantly worry about his HMO insurance paperwork being submitted correctly. Most people are worrying about their medical condition. He couldn’t stop thinking about what would happen if the referrals weren’t filled properly or rejected.

euterpe

My son-in-law, here in the US, went into cardiac arrest, was revived by EMTs and was transported to a US hospital on the Labor Day weekend. His medical insurance company denied payment for over $150,000 in hospital costs because he hadn't called them to request the hospital admission. A year later he had to have a heart transplant (by then they had switched to another insurance company).

dogbert

Thanks for posting @Debbie S. Just made a donation.
This is a lovely idea. I see that the goal is 500,000 and that they have already raised about 25,000. Someone (USFS/IMG cough) should organize a benefit show with proceeds going to this fund. I'm sure that many skaters would volunteer to skate for free, especially if they have been coached by the Sands or are longtime friends. That should wipe out the medical bills

skatfan

This is a lovely idea. I see that the goal is 500,000 and that they have already raised about 25,000. Someone (USFS/IMG cough) should organize a benefit show with proceeds going to this fund. I'm sure that many skaters would volunteer to skate for free, especially if they have been coached by the Sands or are longtime friends. That should wipe out the medical bills
The season isn't over, worlds in two weeks. I'm sure the folks in Todd and Jenni's life are scrambling to help them cover care for their sons, coaching for their skaters, covering basic expenses for now, etc. Putting on a show takes a LOT of time and the timing needs care. All in good time.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
New post from Chris Knierim: "Todd means so much to so many people. He’s fighting for his life right now in the ICU. It’s time for all of us to help the Sandman. By clicking the link in my bio you can show your support by helping with the ongoing medical expenses. #StandYourGround"

susieB129

May I respectfully request that this thread not devolve into explorations of the US/Canada healthcare systems, and what anyone's friend/relative experienced? Let's stick to news of Todd (which we are NOT OWED, by the way; the family or their representatives will share what they want, when they want) and promoting any fundraising links.

sk9tingfan

New post from Chris Knierim: "Todd means so much to so many people. He’s fighting for his life right now in the ICU. It’s time for all of us to help the Sandman. By clicking the link in my bio you can show your support by helping with the ongoing medical expenses. #StandYourGround"
This post scares the hell out of me. I'm hoping he survives.

dogbert

The season isn't over, worlds in two weeks. I'm sure the folks in Todd and Jenni's life are scrambling to help them cover care for their sons, coaching for their skaters, covering basic expenses for now, etc. Putting on a show takes a LOT of time and the timing needs care. All in good time.
A bit condescending, no? Seriously, I know that a show cannot be put together overnight and that it takes a lot of work. I am far from being a naif. But these folks have a VERY long road ahead of them. The response to the GiveaHand initiative looks great so far, but there is a ways to go and the skating community is relatively small. A fundraiser show may well be a great boost in defraying their expenses over the longer term. I would not have expected anyone to have read my post any other way.

liv

Sending best wishes to Todd and Jenni. Still being in the ICU, it sounds like an incredibly difficult situation. Hope the family are well supported and that the messages of support continue to bring them some comfort.

I guess, if there are small mercies, if it had to happen in a foreign country, the fact it happened in the closest foreign country would be one of them. It's easier for family/friends to get there, even drivable if necessary... no language barrier in the hospital (sometimes medical lingo is another language itself if you're stressed and not thinking as clearly as usual) etc.. Sometimes even these little things can make an already stressful situation worse.

puglover

He is very likely in the Foothills Medical Centre which is, I believe, the largest hospital in Alberta and located in NW Calgary. It is an older hospital, not as lush and modern as the new South Calgary Health Centre, but it is one of Canada's most recognized medical facilities and a leading research and teaching hospital. Canadian hospitals have been very stretched but now that the pandemic numbers are down things seem to be closer to normal. There are, of course, always other costs aside from the medical bills that the family faces.

Stefanie

He is very likely in the Foothills Medical Centre which is, I believe, the largest hospital in Alberta and located in NW Calgary. It is an older hospital, not as lush and modern as the new South Calgary Health Centre, but it is one of Canada's most recognized medical facilities and a leading research and teaching hospital. Canadian hospitals have been very stretched but now that the pandemic numbers are down things seem to be closer to normal. There are, of course, always other costs aside from the medical bills that the family faces.
Yes, I imagine the money raised can also help with Jenni and their sons’ accommodations, meals, and transportation while they are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information