Thoroughbred Racing 2018

Thread starter #1

skipaway

Ratings
So, time for a new thread.
2017 Eclipse awards given out with Gun Runner as Well deserved Horse of the Year.
Eclipse Awards

Pegasus World Cup is this weekend with Gun Runner at 4/5 in his final race of his career.
PWC Field

ilovepaydays

Ratings
DANG! Justify owned that race! Won by (I think) 2 1/2 lengths! He made history as the first horse since 1882 to win the Kentucky Derby and not race as a two year old. :cheer2:

Bob Baffert also trained American Pharaoh to the Triple Crown win in 2015. The NBC analysts said that Justify is potentially a better horse than American Pharaoh even though he has a lot less racing experience.

Results and Payout

ON TO THE PREAKNESS! :D :gallopin1

Last edited:

sk8pics

Ratings
I thought Justify ran a freakishly good race. The video of him this morning is on line. Baffert was walking him in kind of a tight circle and it looked like he took one or two bad steps, seemed to be favoring his left hind. Hopefully it was just the footing and being a bit sore after the race. His Beyer was a 103! I think maybe he has run triple digit Beyers in all 4 of his races, amazing. Mike Smith said Justify wanted to take off again as the horses were coming up to him on the gallop out. Hope he is okay!

Ratings
Justify has a rash on his left hind foot.
Kentucky Derby winner Justify has developed a skin condition that will be checked by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.
Dr. Mary Scollay, the equine medical director of the KHRC, said Monday evening that the commission plans on looking at Justify within the next 24 hours.
The horse reportedly has a condition known as "scratches," a skin rash, on his left hind foot. The rash often appears when moisture or debris is trapped in a horse's feathers (hairs on some horses' lower legs), causing minor inflammation. The muddy track at Churchill Downs on Saturday may have contributed.
Bob Baffert, Justify's trainer, said in a press release Monday that he was not concerned.
"It was sensitive there," Baffert said. "It's like a diaper rash, what he's got. He looked great today."
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...skin-rash-kentucky-derby-preakness/588271002/

ilovepaydays

Ratings
Watching NBC - Bob Costas is interviewing Justify’s jockey Mike Smith. Smith seems cool and confident. Before this, NBC aired a fluff piece on Mike Smith that put virtually ever one they did during the Winter Olympics to shame.

sk8pics

Ratings
He handled the mile and a quarter of the derby fine, and IIRC he rebroke after the finish line when horses were trying to pass him on the gallop out. Even today, I read that no horses passed him on the gallop out. I agree he looked tired today, but he looked Good Magic in the eye almost the whole way. Good Magic folded, Justify kept going. Mike pushed him but did not have to get after him as much as I thought. The 3 weeks rest will hopefully be enough. But we'll see! I hope he does it, but I won't be surprised either way, I guess. Have to see how he comes out of today's race. I did see video of him walking back to the barn after the race and he was bouncing.

paskatefan

Ratings
Wow, congrats to Team Justify! The weather conditions for the race looked so yucky! I would love to see another Triple Crown winner, but even if it doesn't happen, Justify is still an amazing horse. On to the Belmont!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)