Thoroughbred Racing 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8pics

IF it is proven that Medina died from drugs in his system, then I agree, Baffert needs to be held accountable. But we donā€™t know the reason and we wonā€™t for some time. Horses donā€™t have ā€œheart attacksā€ in the same sense that we do. He could have had an aneurysm burst or he could have had an arrythmia that caused his heart to stop. I hope the necropsy does provide a definitive explanation for his death.

Meanwhile, I am gutted not only for the loss of Medina Spirit, who seemed like such a game horse, but for his people, who sent him out for his workout and then found out he was never ever coming back. I remember when George Washington was fatally injured during the Breedersā€™ Cup years ago, his groom was crying while carrying his saddle back to the barn. His people loved him, Iā€™m sure. It reminds me of when I took my cat Leo to the vet for what turned out to be the last time; I had no idea that day that he wouldnā€™t come home again.

Vagabond

I'd like to understand why Santa Anita has such a high rate of horse deaths compared to other racetracks.
Does it? It did a couple of years ago before the owners had some work done to fix the drainage, and the rate now is about half what it was then. In any event, the death of Medina Spirit from heart failure does not appear to be directly related to the track.

sk8pics

Eclipse award nominations are out: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/256140/knicks-go-leads-eclipse-award-finalists

I see Medina Spirit is nominated for 3-year-old colt. I saw his sire when I was in Kentucky last week; Medina looked just like him. The farm that stands him is a pretty small operation. After last year's Derby they got 50 requests to breed to him! Perhaps more would do so if Medina wins the eclipse. They were super nice to us so I am rooting for Medina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information