The Voice 16, Spring 2019

chantilly

Do people really vote for the coaches over the actual singers? That’s ridiculous.
Also ridiculous is the on line flack Kelly and John received for daring to criticize Gyth’s vocals on Monday which were just ok.

Look I get being a fan of someone, but being on pitch is not an opinion. It’s a fact.

I don’t vote because I’m Canadian but I would never vote for contestants based on their coach. I just don’t get that.

This new format is the worst. As I said I’m on the fence for watching next year.

chantilly

Speaking of Blake, what do you think of his new song? I thought it was kind of awful - stupid lyrics. I often think his songs have stupid or childish lyrics like "Honey Bee" does.
I fast forwarded it after the first verse. I’m not a fan of country although I have liked Carrie’s stuff and the Dixie chicks and a few random songs from the genre. But Blake’s song was very country and I have not liked most if not all of his music.

I actually do find him kind of charming and funny sometimes though.

Random note. Can Kelly please fire her stylist. Her makeup and hair and style has been atrocious for 3 seasons.

She’s an attractive and fun woman.

Reactions: Rob

love skating

Clueless American
I was happy to hear Kelly and John give some constructive criticism. Gyth was not good on Monday and deserved that feedback. It's always hard for the coaches to criticize because it comes off as trying to pump up their own team.

Really mad at the Voice voters this year, if Maelynn doesn't win I will really really be upset with them. The crossbattles was a huge mistake for the Voice and the ensuing Blake Show turned off a lot of viewers which ironically ended up making it even stronger for Team Blake cause all his fans are still watching and voting! I still say they need to limit the number of people you can vote for so you don't get all from one genre or all from one team, but I doubt they'll ever change their flawed voting format.

LeafOnTheWind

Carson flipped the bird after Rod answered his question. It was right before the first saved announcement. He tried to make it look like he was scratching his nose and I don't think he knew the camera was going to switch back to him. I'm wondering who it was directed at.

flyingsit

I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago other than Maelynn's songs. If they keep this stupid format I will never go back.

IMO they should limit the number of singers from each genre... maybe keep the battles/knockouts the way they used to be and then when they do the first live show to cut down to the top 12, have the voters choose the top 3 country, top 3 pop, top 3 R&B, etc.

Or else keep doing two seasons a year, one a country version and one everything BUT country.

Allskate

She has gotten the multiplier the last two weeks, so kind of yes.

I don't think the multiplier has any effect on regular votes and it is earned only based on streaming. Overall, it doesn't have a huge impact on the total number of votes. So, if a bunch of casual voters just want to vote for Blake's singers and not listen to their music, his singer definitely can end up with more total votes than Maelynn. But, as I said, I'm hoping that Blake's singers split the vote and make it possible for Maelynn to sneak in for the win.

Last edited:

Jayar

I don't think the multiplier has any effect on regular votes and it is earned only based on streaming. Overall, it doesn't have a huge impact on the total number of votes. So, if a bunch of casual voters just want to vote for Blake's singers and not listen to their music, his singer definitely can end up with more total votes than Maelynn. But, as I said, I'm hoping that Blake's singers split the vote and make it possible for Maelynn to sneak in for the win.

It does-- it's part of the voting. In the end, a vote is a vote. She has won the streaming vote twice, so if she does that again, her streaming votes are multiplied by 5. So, if you want Maelyn to win, make sure you stream her 10 times the night of the finale.

The artist who receives the most streams on their Eligible Song(s) at the close of the applicable Overnight Voting Window for the episode in which the Eligible Song(s) is/are performed (the “Most Streamed Artist of the Night,”) will receive an “Apple Music Bonus,” which multiplies by five (5) the artist’s Apple Music streams for the applicable Eligible Song(s). For example, if the Most Streamed Artist of the Night receives one hundred (100) streams on their Eligible Song(s), they will earn a total of five hundred (500) Apple Music votes for that Overnight Voting Window.

moebius

Also ridiculous is the on line flack Kelly and John received for daring to criticize Gyth’s vocals on Monday which were just ok.
That's Blake's fault for causing the online flack b/c he said that that was by far one of Gyth's best vocals. So of course the fans would listen to Blake, but not Kelly and John. Stupid fans. Don't you have ears? This is the reason why the judges are not critical b/c of the backlash from deaf fans. Why was it necessary for Blake to lie to Gyth? It was obvious that he was way off. That praise makes Blake look stupid and incredulous.

I like the old way - eliminate people within teams.
The problem with that if a team is strong, then deserving singers get eliminated and with a weaker team, underserving singers stay longer than the deserving singers.

Allskate

It does-- it's part of the voting.

Yes, it's a vote, but the multiplier does not apply to anything but streaming. Winning the multiplier, even if you're the only one, does not mean that you won the most votes overall. I didn't hear Carson say anything about Maelynn winning the most votes. She just had the most streams. That's a small subset of the overall votes, even when multiplied. If Blake's fans and country fans all vote for Gyth, and Maelynn just wins the streaming edge, I think it will be difficult for her to win. That's why I'm hoping that the Blake vote and country vote is split between the three guys. Maelynn may have benefitted from Andrew getting that final spot.

The problem with that if a team is strong, then deserving singers get eliminated and with a weaker team, underserving singers stay longer than the deserving singers.

That's partly offset by the steals and saves. But, the problem is that the judges don't always use the steals and saves wisely and they can't know who will be available later. Maybe they need to have a wildcard element where, at the end of the round, the judges get to choose wild cards from the ones who went home. Let the judges fight it out then.

LeafOnTheWind

I would prefer it if they waited to use their steals and saves until after everyone sings. Announce who wins the battle, etc and the ones that lost come back to the stage for the steal and save rounds.

Reactions: Rob

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

Deserving singers got eliminated this way too. There's no system to keep what we think are deserving singers from going home. And there's no way that all 8 of Blake's team was better than all the others who went home. But the old way the judges did their own elimination up to a 5 person team. So if you are the 6th best singer on a judge's team you're not going to win overall anyway. The top 20 then went to a live vote & the individual teams started being decimated so a judge could then end up with no singers. This season sucked majorly.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I stopped watching after the first week of cross battles. Why did they think screwing with the format was a brilliant idea?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I really hope Maelyn wins. She's so good!

I agree. This is my ranking of last night & how I think they should finish:

Maelyn
Andrew
Dexter
Gyth

IMO Maelyn won all 3 rounds. Her Hallelujah was otherworldly.

chantilly

Go Maelyn!

I would also have Gyth last but I saw on itunes he was second to Maelyn on the charts with Dexter surprisingly (to me) far behind the other three. I don't get the Gyth love. I thought he struggled through his songs.
Agreed . But Gyth is handsome and young and is very “ new country “ Plus he’s come across as patriotic because of last weeks song.

Andrew and Dexter are much better singers and Dexter deserves to be final two IMO.

I really hope Maelyn wins. I know she’s doing well on the iTunes streaming but I still a not convinced she’ll take it.

All in all, despite Maelyn who is the first artist of these competition shows in a very long time whose music I’d consider buying, this season has sucked for so many reasons.

shan

I agree. This is my ranking of last night & how I think they should finish:

Maelyn
Andrew
Dexter
Gyth

IMO Maelyn won all 3 rounds. Her Hallelujah was otherworldly.

I agree with your rankings. I've always said that Andrew is a lesser version of Dexter, but last night I thought Andrew did somewhat better. I don't even know what to say about Gyth. Blah.........

moebius

Gyth has been pitchy all night.

Not the best rendition of 'Hallelujah'. Nevertheless, Maelyn should be the winner. But If a country dude wins, hope it's Dexter or maybe Andrew.

First time where there's no replay of the finale.

Not too many under 20 males win the Voice, unlike AI. I think Sawyer is the only under 20 male winning the Voice. However there has been a handful of teen females winning the Voice. Wonder why....

Allskate

That final result may have saved the show. But, the producers have to take action if they want this show to have legs. This season undoubtedly led to fewer fans of the show.

chantilly

Maelyn’s win was the only saving grace in an abominable season.

She was extraordinary all season.

For the first time in a long time I think this winner may have legs in the real world of music and success in the industry.

I just think that her talent can’t be denied.

Even my boyfriend who hates these types of shows was full of praise for her.

As a proud Canadian I can say that Sarah McLaughlin has an extraordinary voice which was pitch perfect during the finale. And Maelyn held her own. And was incredible in her own right.

The others? Not so much and were mostly outperformed or outsung.

I’m excited about Maelyn and haven’t been for a talent competition winner in a while.

So thanks to this season for that I guess.

I hope I’m right.

Allskate

I thought Sarah and Maelyn together were wonderful. I also thought the women singing "Edge of Seventeen" did a very good job, but showed how screwy the voting is on the show. Gyth beat all of them on a show called "The Voice?"

I hope John helps Maelynn launch her career and finds some good songwriters and producers to work with her.

Rob

Beach Bum
The right person won. The Blake voters may have cancelled each other out. I think if Blake had only Gyth, he might have won.

flyingsit

I just saw that Adam Levine is leaving and they are replacing him with Gwen Stefani for next season. I'm done with the show for good. I can't stand the increasing predominance of country music, Gwen was a horribly useless coach in the past, and the Blake-and-Gwen lovefest/conflict of interest will be vomit-inducing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information