The US Thanksgiving thread!

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I plan to watch the Cowboys game, as usual, later today.
A woman after my heart! My dog is prepared with his Cowboys jersey on. Sadly, I have to work, so will be having to wear scrubs....hmmm maybe to Ebay "Cowboys scrubs"!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry, I didn't see this thread before I started one today to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. It just seemed appropriate to wish on the day, rather than 4 days earlier. May be I should start the Christmas thread on Dec. 21st instead of De. 25th. :)

Last edited:

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
I am at work tonight, that's the way things go in the airline business. Not to worry, we are provided full First Class meals due to the Holiday and I'll get another day off later (use it for US Nationals!).

Crzesk8mom and Sean are at our older son's house with my daughter-in-law and grandson. Tonight's menu: Sushi! Also, Sean brought a ham and pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I have much to be thankful for, I hope that you do, as well.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Also...I miss the GF for the holidays, but I do NOT miss her family tradition sweet potato casserole. I love that she loves it, but I find it utterly inedible and there is always a ton leftover :scream: :shuffle: :saint:

I used to make a really small batch because no one ate it because ewwwwww, sweet potatoes. But about five years ago, someone braved the evil sweet potato and raved, and suddenly everyone wanted it. My SIL wants it every time she comes over here.

There's only a little left over, but there's enough for you to try it :saint:.

Vagabond

We had:

Butternut squash spread with pita
Artichoke spread with French bread
Sushi
Pumpkin bread

Turkey
Prime Rib
Roast green beans with leeks
Yam casserole
Mashed potatoes
Green salad with pomegranate seeds and roasted butternut squash
Cranberry orange relish

Wine
Beer (including dessert beer)

Chestnut cake
Various pies
Biscotti
Vanilla ice cream

😋

skateboy

Thanksgiving has always been, for me, a day to splurge and eat myself into food coma. However...

For the past couple of years I have been on a strict low-carb diet, which I am now very used to eating. I was ready to let it all go today, but all I could handle were some of my Pigs in a Blanket (puff pastry) appetizers, turkey with gravy, a teeny bit of cranberry sauce, some stuffing, and my spinach/mandarin orange/almond salad. Drank water only.

I was so full that I skipped the mashed potatoes, the sweet potato casserole, the corn casserole, the dinner rolls and the various pies and ice cream.

So I'm glad I stopped myself but, even so, my body hates me right now. :biggrinbo

Vagabond

@Vagabond, did you end up using this chestnut flour cake recipe you linked earlier?https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-us-thanksgiving-thread.106448/#post-5694812
Yes, except that I didn't use the rum or the raisins, used pistachios instead of almonds and filberts, and tried to use U.S. measurements instead of metric ones. Having made the cake, I cannot imagine adding rum or raisins; they would be excessive. I would also suggest using a bit less butter, probably 10 oz. but maybe just 8 oz.!

Here is my working recipe:

Corsican Chestnut Cake
1 cup chestnut flour
7 oz. wheat flour
10 oz. butter
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 eggs, separated
1 tbsp. baking powder
4 oz. chopped pistachios
½ tsp. orange zest
½ tsp. lemon zest
2 oz. candied orange peel
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

Preheat oven to 450º.

Beat the butter and powdered sugar together in a large bowl. Add in the chestnut flour, wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.

Beat the egg whites together in a small bowl until stiff and set aside.

Beat the egg yolks together is a second small bowl.

Slowly add the egg whites, egg yolks, zest, candied orange peel, and vanilla extract into the flour-butter-sugar mixture.

Place the mixture into a parchment-lined or greased springform cake pan, reduce the overntemperature to 325º and bake for 45 minutes.

Remove the cake immediately from the cake pan and cool on a cooling rack.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @Vagabond ... maybe I'll try your adapted recipe sometime (adding some fresh chestnuts?).
Sorry, I didn't see this thread before I started one today to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.
That's because this was my original "Thanksgiving menu & recipes" thread that was merged by an Admin. with your Thanksgiving good wishes thread. :)

I hope everyone who cooked Thanksgiving dinner survived and that your efforts were appreciated for the most part. :D

Last edited:

skatesindreams

Crzesk8mom and Sean are at our older son's house with my daughter-in-law and grandson. Tonight's menu: Sushi! Also, Sean brought a ham and pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I have much to be thankful for, I hope that you do, as well.
My best to you and your family.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
A woman after my heart! My dog is prepared with his Cowboys jersey on. Sadly, I have to work, so will be having to wear scrubs....hmmm maybe to Ebay "Cowboys scrubs"!

You didn’t miss much. After the first scoring drive the Cowboys were terrible, or may be Buffalo was a much stronger team. Midway through the 4th quarter I turned off the TV.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
You didn’t miss much. After the first scoring drive the Cowboys were terrible, or may be Buffalo was a much stronger team. Midway through the 4th quarter I turned off the TV.
I know, I sadly saw it before work (I work night shift). I would much rather be napping if my team is going to play like osteoarthritic old women. Time to dump Garrett!

Cachoo

This year our sweet potatoes were delish and they were prepared with butter, salt and pepper. One the hor d'oeuvres was a stack with a sharp cheddar bottom, pastrami center and a candied, jellied walnut on top. Those did not last long. Yum.

millyskate

I used to make a really small batch because no one ate it because ewwwwww, sweet potatoes. But about five years ago, someone braved the evil sweet potato and raved, and suddenly everyone wanted it. My SIL wants it every time she comes over here.

There's only a little left over, but there's enough for you to try it :saint:.
Are sweet potatoes currently unfashionable in the US? Everyone here absolutely raves about them and even toddlers are preferring them to normal potatoes.
I like them myself in casseroles and soups especially but I'm not a massive fan of the "baked sweet potato" trend.

Hope everyone had a lovely thanksgiving. I wish we'd imported that holiday instead of Halloween!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Are sweet potatoes currently unfashionable in the US? Everyone here absolutely raves about them and even toddlers are preferring them to normal potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are very popular. Grandma Thanksgiving recipes are only popular at Thanksgiving and only with some people.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I prefer sweet potato fries to white potato. Add spicy siracha to dip them and :swoon: And, they are healthier than white potatoes, still starchy, but more fiber.

I also prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin, but the potatoes need to be well boiled and then beat with an electric mixer to make sure they aren't stringy--also use sweet potatoes rather than yams. I have the recipe used by the pastry cook in the AR governor's mansion for years until she retired. It was Bill Clinton's favorite dessert.

Alas, I've switched to the Mediterranean diet and there are very few dessert options. I have not been able to give up dark chocolate yet and probably won't. A body needs chocolate every now and then. But, no pie. :(

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
@millyskate , I’m from the Deep South, and sweet potatoes are always in fashion. We have a sweet potato pie in the fridge! Everyone I know has something with sweet potatoes on the menu—the only reason we didn’t this year is because I worked on Thanksgiving, so we had a pared-down menu. But my brother missed the sweet potatoes so much he went out and bought a pie!

@Prancer , bless your Midwest heart. My mom’s sausage-apple dressing has all the crispy edges you could want. We don’t stuff it in the bird—makes it all goopy.

So let’s talk about what REALLY matters—the LEFTOVERS! What do you do with yours? We’ve got the turkey gumbo going for the LSU game tonight! We made a breakfast hash with the stuffing this morning. So what do y’all do—turkey tettrazini (I’ve never had it, and am not sure what it is, but I know it’s a thing), amazing stuffed sandwiches? Soups? I WANT TO KNOW HOW Y’ALL ARE STILL GOBBLIN’ and WOBBLIN’ !!!!

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I prefer sweet potato fries to white potato. Add spicy siracha to dip them and :swoon: And, they are healthier than white potatoes, still starchy, but more fiber.

I also prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin, but the potatoes need to be well boiled and then beat with an electric mixer to make sure they aren't stringy--also use sweet potatoes rather than yams. I have the recipe used by the pastry cook in the AR governor's mansion for years until she retired. It was Bill Clinton's favorite dessert.

Alas, I've switched to the Mediterranean diet and there are very few dessert options. I have not been able to give up dark chocolate yet and probably won't. A body needs chocolate every now and then. But, no pie. :(

I prefer Sweet Potato Pie, too. I know a lot of people usually add a dab of whipped cream on top of the pie. I've always topped the pie with large marshmallows once it's done, and stick it back in the oven for just a few minutes to brown the marshmallows. This was how my mom did it, and I've always done the same thing. Totally delicious! 💞

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
The GF reports that her sweet potato casserole was a big hit with her students and other faculty.

I love sweet potatoes. I make them all the time. I just really hate this casserole, in the same way I hated the marshmallow sweet potato casseroles growing up - the sticky sweetness of the glaze/marshmallow makes the potatoes taste like dirt in comparison.

annie720

Happy two days after! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at my son's in upstate NY. This son loves his sweet potato casserole so I make it mainly for him. I usually reduce the amount of sugar in the sweet potatoes for whatever recipe I use, and include the pecan/brown sugar topping, with added pecans.:) Hubby's corn bread & sausage stuffing came out just right this year, with the perfect amount of hotness. My favorite dishes were the angel biscuits, cut into a hedgehog shape, and hubby's pies, pecan and buttermilk. 😋

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
@Prancer , bless your Midwest heart. My mom’s sausage-apple dressing has all the crispy edges you could want. We don’t stuff it in the bird—makes it all goopy.

There are never enough crisy edges to make up for the course mushiness of the rest.

So let’s talk about what REALLY matters—the LEFTOVERS! What do you do with yours? We’ve got the turkey gumbo going for the LSU game tonight! We made a breakfast hash with the stuffing this morning. So what do y’all do—turkey tettrazini (I’ve never had it, and am not sure what it is, but I know it’s a thing), amazing stuffed sandwiches? Soups? I WANT TO KNOW HOW Y’ALL ARE STILL GOBBLIN’ and WOBBLIN’ !!!!

People make things with leftovers? We mostly just eat them.

I did, however, make a big pot of turkey carcass soup with extra noodles. It's really good, if I do say so myself what made it up as I went along.

Japanfan

So let’s talk about what REALLY matters—the LEFTOVERS!

We make a 12-14 lb. turkey for two, so there are always lots leftovers.

We have turkey dinner two days in the row, and then nibble on it as we like for a day or so after that. Then it gets deboned and the remainder goes into the freezer for club sandwiches.

Bandit gets the giblets, and the what remains after deboning. Good times for him!

clairecloutier

I like them myself in casseroles and soups especially but I'm not a massive fan of the "baked sweet potato" trend.

Coming from the Northeast U.S. and an Irish/French Canadian family, I never saw sweet potatoes when I was growing up except at Thanksgiving. My mom only made them for Thanksgiving, and I don’t recall seeing them on restaurant menus much if at all back then.

Now sweet potatoes have become much more popular in the Northeast, which was initially due to health trends, I think. You see them on many restaurant menus and in many recipes. Sweet potato fries are an increasingly common restaurant option. But there’s still lots of people up here who aren’t big fans of sweet potatoes (my husband, for one).

If you looked at overall U.S. consumption, my guess is that regular potatoes would be ahead by a wide margin, but yes, sweet potatoes are definitely getting more popular.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am not a fan of stuffing or dressing or whatever you want to call it, no matter how it's cooked (in bird, out of bird, with meat, without meat, white bread or cornbread).

I usually take some because ... tradition? But this Thanksgiving I did not. And was perfectly happy.

I also didn't have pumpkin pie. Mostly because it looked like someone had overcooked it. I lurve me some pumpkin pie (or pumpkin anything) and normally would have eaten it regardless because ... tradition. But I had homemade apple instead and was fine.

I got a small pumpkin tart at Disneyland for dinner on Saturday and it was delicious so I still got my fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information