The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

Mrs. P

Seriously, my nieces cheered for the Shibs at the Olympics because "they're friends with Ryan Higa."

That video was hilarious.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
NBA player Rondae Hollis-Jefferson blog mentions hanging out with the Shibs:

https://www.nba.com/nets/news/2018/06/07/rondae-hollis-jefferson-brooklyn-nets-blog-drake-pushat

:) That's very cool:

"I was able to catch up with my good friends, Alex and Maia Shibutani, for Game 1 of the Finals. Now you might be wondering how I’m cool with two Winter Olympic figure skaters. Simple, we’re all ambassadors for Right to Play. I joined my rookie year in 2015 and that’s where I met them. I remember I was chilling with personal friends on my own when they came up to me and introduced themselves. Moments later, Alex came up to me and was like 'Dude, you’ve should’ve been a higher draft pick!' That’s when we started to laugh and joke and exchanged numbers. Ever since, we’ve been pretty close."

VGThuy

Alex and Maia went to the Mori Building Digital Art Museum in Tokyo. Mizuyo Yoshida took some pics with them there:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj_GtCCArTR/?hl=en&taken-by=mizuyoyoshida

I looked Yoshida up. It looks like she's the president of Steady Study, a PR firm that helps fashion brands break into the Japanese market. The Shibs hinted at big plans that they have this year that they cannot reveal until it's time, and although I don't think they are working with her to break into the Japanese market as they are not a fashion brand or anything like that, it does have me curious as to what the Shibs have planned in the pipeline.

VGThuy

It was so nice to see Kanako Murakami in Maia’s latest IG Story. I know she and Maia have a special friendship so I was glad to see them reunited in Tokyo but it was also so nice to see Murakami smiling and looking very well.

VGThuy

We get to hear a bit of Gwendal's infamous singing again. It seems like they had a great time with Heroes and Future. This is the most we've seen of Chris Reed in a vlog. I loved Med's comments and Plushenko, Stoijko, and Candeloro's appearances. It's been so long. I wish there was more of Marina because I really wanted the Shibs and Marina/Gwendal to talk to each other here. Thought the 1998 Olympic bronze medalists (and 2002 Olympic gold medalists) and the 2018 Olympic bronze medalists could bond a bit.

VGThuy

These tweets came in immediately after he and Maia posted an Instagram on her getting ready, and I asked them to "in view of what is currently happening in the US, could you please focus?"

And? Is it inconsistent with what Alex and Maia have both supported and posted about when it comes to political and social issues in the past? Is Alex's post some how undermined by the fact that they just came back from Japan and made a "get ready with me video" that I posted earlier in this thread while in Japan and posted it while they are at VidCon? People can't continue to work and share things on social media and also post about social issues? Did Alex have to make about 6 tweets with pictures that came up with an analogy that compared this situation with a personal situation that affected his grandmother? Did Alex have to post about it at all? He still chose to do so and did it in a way that was meaningful and not just simply writing a one-sentence tweet or re-tweeting other articles. It's clear he worked on it.

sk9tingfan

And? Is it inconsistent with what Alex and Maia have both supported and posted about when it comes to political and social issues in the past? Is Alex's post some how undermined by the fact that they just came back from Japan and made a "get ready with me video" that I posted earlier in this thread while in Japan and posted it while they are at VidCon? People can't continue to work and share things on social media and also post about social issues? Did Alex have to make about 6 tweets with pictures that came up with an analogy that compared this situation with a personal situation that affected his grandmother? Did Alex have to post about it at all? He still chose to do so and did it in a way that was meaningful and not just simply writing a one-sentence tweet or re-tweeting other articles. It's clear he worked on it.
And I thanked him for doing that. I was not indicating that his post was inconsistent with what he believed previously.

VGThuy

Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood. Thank you for posting what you did, then. Maybe your tweet actually gave Alex what he needed to post what he did.

VGThuy

Charlie has been incredible since he decided to become politically-active. Never relented and has educated himself and shares his passions. We knew Adam was brave and spoke his mind for a while, since at least the Pence situation, knowing it may have put him in the way of a lot of scary people. Alex and Maia take a more measured approach, but then they do talk about it, I find they usually put a lot of work and thought into what they post and the positions they support. I'm just glad we have various skaters and their families who are willing to speak out when they feel injustice is occurring.

sk9tingfan

Charlie has been incredible since he decided to become politically-active. Never relented and has educated himself and shares his passions. We knew Adam was brave and spoke his mind for a while, since at least the Pence situation, knowing it may have put him in the way of a lot of scary people. Alex and Maia take a more measured approach, but then they do talk about it, I find they usually put a lot of work and thought into what they post and the positions they support. I'm just glad we have various skaters and their families who are willing to speak out when they feel injustice is occurring.
Meryl just put out a post under the aegis of UNICEF . BTW. Jacqui White, back in 2010 told me that he was interested in going to law school and eventually politics.

livetoskate

Good for Alex making those tweets and sharing a bit about his family's experiences. I read somewhere that their mother was born in Japan and grew up in Florida, so I guess their maternal grandfather ended up moving to Japan for a while before returning to the U.S. And I read in another article that one of their grandmothers was born in Korea. What an interesting family background. I'm glad the Shibs are remarking on current events instead of staying in a skating bubble.

Sylvia

TBD
Some photos of Maia & Alex at VidCon are posted here: http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/06/...o-much-fun-at-nickelodeons-vidcon-2018-booth/

It looks like Maia will be a featured guest at the KPMG Women's Leadership Summit:

https://twitter.com/KPMGInspire/status/996040124772311040

"In conjunction with the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship, KPMG hosts the KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit on-site during Championship week. The event brings together top women in business, politics, and sports with the next generation of women leaders to inspire them in their advancement and development. The KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit will return during 2018 Championship week and will be held on-site at Kemper Lakes Golf Club."
Maia will be on a panel titled Resilience & Grit: The Making of a Champion tomorrow with Nancy Kerrigan and Hilary Knight: http://womensleadership.kpmg.us/summit/2018-summit-agenda.html

From the press release:
"The event will be live streamed in its entirety at KPMG.com/WomensLeadership beginning at 10:30 a.m. EST / 9:30 a.m. CST. In its fourth year, the KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit convenes highly accomplished leaders in the worlds of business, politics, sports, and the media to share strategies, insights and lessons learned from their personal journeys with the next generation of women leaders nominated by their CEOs to attend, which includes representation from more than 80 of the world’s leading brands."

VGThuy

^^^ You can watch Maia at the KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit 2 ways:

Via Periscope: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRKZgWlYLrGB

Facebook Live archived stream: https://www.facebook.com/LPGA/videos/vb.43279105683/10155348399765684/?type=3&theater

ETA:

This was the main panel event, moderated by NBC's Dan Hicks (starts after the 17-minute mark): https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mnxeoBajmQGX

Thanks for posting this. I'm a little bit in the Dan Hicks panel and it's so interesting to hear Hillary Knight talk about being a female hockey player growing up and having to play on boys teams and such while Nancy Kerrigan watches on because I know Nancy Kerrigan loved playing hockey with her brothers as well. Although Nancy does love skating and it worked out for her, I wonder if she would have stuck with hockey if she was in Knight's generation with the attitude shift where a bit more people were open with girls playing hockey.

Maia is super eloquent, as to be expected.

ETA: Nancy says some interesting things about 1994. You all should check it out for yourself.

Last edited:

VGThuy

So at the end of the panel discussion, Maia confirms that they are going for 2022. Finally some good news.

Great quote from Maia:

"People may tell you to forget your emotions. But, use you emotions so that your true passion shines through in your performance. Remember to have a sense of self because people will always are going to say something."

https://twitter.com/ChelseaKrost/status/1012014187894181890

Last edited:

VGThuy

Alex left such a sweet comment on Maia's latest IG post:

"So proud!! Now get back out to LA! I miss you!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkjMPA5gU4b/?hl=en&taken-by=maiashibutani

I think this may be the first time in a very long time Maia and Alex have been in separate cities. Anyway, Alex seemed busy at the IG beach party taking photos of and having photos taken by various social media celebrities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information