The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

Mrs. P

New Shibs vlog:biggrinbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5twr9VJX8&feature=youtu.be

Go on vacation, guys. But not before the Portland, OR tour stop, please. I am going, and the number of times my favorite athletes have not shown up for the Portland or Spokane tour stop is unfairly high.

I'm going to the Portland show too! (It will be Toddler P's first show....)

I also did the PDX show 4 years ago -- other than the fact Max was the special guest rather than Jason -- I think everybody was there.... but maybe I don't remember.

We also get Vincent Zhou on that stop.

VGThuy

It looks like Maia will be a featured guest at the KPMG Women's Leadership Summit:

https://twitter.com/KPMGInspire/status/996040124772311040

"In conjunction with the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship, KPMG hosts the KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit on-site during Championship week. The event brings together top women in business, politics, and sports with the next generation of women leaders to inspire them in their advancement and development. The KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit will return during 2018 Championship week and will be held on-site at Kemper Lakes Golf Club."

Also, a great shot of their San Jose stop:

https://twitter.com/hellomailee/status/995906912133693440

Mrs. P

I also heard Laurel, so I am also Team Maia. :D

Also T-minus 5 days until I see our lovely Shibs in person again!

MRani

I’ve listened at all sorts of volumes and with/without earphones and it’s Laurel for me every time. What a weird thing that people are hearing completely different words. #TeamMaia

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Mrs. P

Eric Nam posted “Yanny” on his IG story, so Alex has solidarity. Also, Mr. P. Hahahaha!

Cayuse

Spotted the Shibs' parents in the audience for SOI in Portland today. Hopefully, the Shibutani family is off to nice long vacation! Alex and Maia were fantastic in the show as expected. Loved the Fix You/Paradise combination dance and the extra little group numbers especially "One is the Loneliest Number" with Adam. Best wishes for their future.

VGThuy

40-second clip from Hershey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulilH8QcLcc

Credit to: @nimi
When I saw that program in Detroit, I was struck by how beautiful Maia was - so much so that I decided to take a short clip at the next stop, Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZ6UAXoBo8&feature=youtu.be

Wonderful videos of Maia's performance with Zach Donohue and Madison Hubbell. Maia moves so beautifully and differently with them.

Mrs. P

Wonderful videos of Maia's performance with Zach Donohue and Madison Hubbell. Maia moves so beautifully and differently with them.

I agree. Out of the three "short" group numbers, that one was my favorite (though I also enjoyed the "One is the Loneliest" number with Alex an Adam). It was interesting to see her skate side by side with Madison Hubbell because she really was toe-to-toe with her (i.e. she did not skate smaller compared to her, which is what a lot of people say about the Shibs' skating). I would really love to see more of the Shibs programs to feature her front and center. I am not crazy about the stem/flower stuff that seems to be so a thing in ID, but I think given they don't do that a lot (and I find there is much to appreciate about the cerebral, meeting of the minds, approach with all their dances) I think it would be really fun to see. I'm not sure what that looks like with Alex, but I hope in their year off they find a way to explore some different dynamics.

I really love the confidence the Shibs skated. It really felt like a celebratory celebration to me. I was a bit skeptical about the Fix You/Paradise mashup and it had vibes of retread, but honestly it was interesting tell that story ---to remind people where they started and how far they came. That's Life was fun -- I do not get sick of that program.

Sadly neither Toddler P or Mr. P got to see either of the Shibs numbers because they were out walking around the concourse (And Mr. P, AGAIN, willing to let me stay so I can see my faves). I think she was a bit young for Stars on Ice and she's just so active it really was hard for her to sit still (though she did great on the group numbers and actually enjoyed Meryl and Charlie's "Hold My Hand" exhibition number.)

VGThuy

I'm excited that they're doing a show in Japan with Anissina/Peizerat. I hope they connect and talk about ice dancing and Marina/Gwendal will provide some advice and pointers.

VGThuy

A video of Maia, Madison, and Zach's number in Portland with more of Ashley in the beginning:

https://twitter.com/gorachael/status/998458573171539969

It seems the one captured by YukiNieve in Chicago was special because there was a totally awesome rotational lift done by Zach and Maia whereas the one in Portland seems like the choreography that was done by the other SOI tours (Canada, Japan). I also preferred Maia's hair in Chicago too, :lol:.

VGThuy

It looks like Arden Cho has filmed a Shibs Twitter Q&A. I can't wait for her to upload it. It looks like they with Arden and Ryan Higa are having tons of fun in Vegas right now...or had. It looks like they're flying somewhere else now.

VGThuy

New 15-minute SOI vlog!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZ1F3Od1Mg

Alex is seriously good with kids. I noticed that before, like in the 2017 4CC video of Alex and Maia conducting a group class and Alex was a real natural.

I loving seeing all of the fan reactions to them. It reminds me of the Fall of 2015 where the Shibs started seriously gaining fans, and I mean FANS. The social media presence of the ShibSquad was becoming more and more vocal and supportive and look at them now. Nothing can describe how satisfying, as a fan, to see them become the hit that they became in Sochi and prior because all of us who have been fans for a very long time recognized their star power early on and it was frustrating for a while that they didn't have the fanbase to go with it. The past four seasons really was something special to experience for a long-time Shibs fan.

suki

Seeing all the cute Asian girls was sweet. I am so glad that they (and people like my little girl) have representation in sports and other fields. <3

Mrs.P: You tell us when Toddler P is ready to pursue a sport (any sport), and I'm sure many of us on this forum will become her uber fan cheering section:cheer2:

Mrs. P

Mrs.P: You tell us when Toddler P is ready to pursue a sport (any sport), and I'm sure many of us on this forum will become her uber fan cheering section:cheer2:

That's super sweet. I have no idea if she'll end up doing sports, but she certainly likes to wear mom out with running. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information